Carbs, protein and retaining water

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
sungvimil
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by sungvimil »

Particularly on this diet you consume way more water than required.
That´s exactly my point. I didn´t mean that just eating more fat per se increases protein tolerance. I mean that by eating more fat you are ingesting much less water. If excess water isn´t there, hydrophillic molecules don´t have nothing to attract.

When ingesting lots of OJ, I easily retained water when eating protein. Maybe I was simply consuming too much fluids.

Anyway, I agree that high protein intakes aren´t necessary. You can perfectly mantain muscle mass with low intakes as long as your caloric intake adjusts to it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sungvimil wrote:If excess water isn´t there, hydrophillic molecules don´t have nothing to attract.
Unfortunately, it doesnt work that way.
Your skin will retain as much water in accordance with the number of hydrophylic compounds. It doesnt matter if you drink 5, 2 or 0.5 L water a day; the result will be the same (if anything, more water flushes out more hydrophylic compounds).
Extra water is ALWAYS ingested (all foods contain water). How much is actually contained, is determined by those hydrophylic compounds.
When ingesting lots of OJ, I easily retained water when eating protein.
That was not because of the water / juice.
There are multiple factors that may have caused the water retention that you observed. Water/juice consumption is not one of these.