Meat based diet and height

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Meat based diet and height

Post by Thomas »

RRM, can you explain to me how a meat based diet leads to height reduction compared to a higher carb diet?

Homo Sapiens lost height in the late upper paleolithic (10-20 ya) and I think the reason was a switch to a meat based diet.
trust yourself
RRM
Administrator

Re: Meat based diet and height

Post by RRM »

Thomas wrote:RRM, can you explain to me how a meat based diet leads to height reduction compared to a higher carb diet?
Regarding height, energy is key. Of course you need sufficient protein, but fact is that you dont need much, as breastmilk contains little protein, only 1.6%.
Carnivores, who eat much more protein, sleep a lot to process all that nitrogen. I guess we didnt do that, so that it must have stunted our growth. Only in the second half of last century we grew much taller again, probably due to the constant availability of all the energy that we need (sugars, fat), as we particularly need energy to grow.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Does that mean that it depends on the availability of energy how tall one gets? I mean, does that also apply to differences in height between brothers? Or does it only count with regards to evolution? I'm curious as we got one brother in our family who is much taller than the rest. My older brothers are just as tall, I'm the shortest (obviously, girls mostly are) But my youngest brother is quite big... :?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:Does that mean that it depends on the availability of energy how tall one gets?
If all the building materials are present (no lack of amino acids, cholesterol, omega 3 fats), then yes, energy is the limiting factor with regards to what extend your maximum height (genetically speaking) will be reached.
I mean, does that also apply to differences in height between brothers?
Even between brothers there still is a genetic factor, of course, to what your maximum potential height is. But, yes, the availability of energy is also key here.
I'm curious as we got one brother in our family who is much taller than the rest.
That could be genetic, but it could also be nutritional.
Gerard

dairy

Post by Gerard »

RRM have you said in the past that dairy milk has growth enhancers or just appetite enhancers (not exactly the same thing-- though overlapping)....

?
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:
Iris wrote:Does that mean that it depends on the availability of energy how tall one gets?
If all the building materials are present (no lack of amino acids, cholesterol, omega 3 fats), then yes, energy is the limiting factor with regards to what extend your maximum height (genetically speaking) will be reached.
I mean, does that also apply to differences in height between brothers?
Even between brothers there still is a genetic factor, of course, to what your maximum potential height is. But, yes, the availability of energy is also key here.
I'm curious as we got one brother in our family who is much taller than the rest.
That could be genetic, but it could also be nutritional.
Ah, I see. Very obvious actually...
RRM
Administrator

Re: dairy

Post by RRM »

Gerard wrote:RRM have you said in the past that dairy milk has growth enhancers or just appetite enhancers (not exactly the same thing-- though overlapping)....

?
Yes, both:
opioid peptides = appetite enhancers
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/zombie.htm

growth factors and growth hormones = growth enhancers
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/cancer2.htm