Fasting + Weight Loss & Chronic Hives + Detox?

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
das_schokolade
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fasting + Weight Loss & Chronic Hives + Detox?

Post by das_schokolade »

If you don't have time to read in depth, here's a summary(tl,dr;):

• Had chronic hives for 4 months after fasting and changing to a mostly raw diet.
    Fasted and changed diet primarily to lose weight and cure acne.
    Now I get hives when I eat below 1000 calories per day, or fast.
    After diet change, started having heartburn and stabbing pains in abdomen, along with severe heartburn.
    Abdominal pain and heartburn magically stopped...
    Now I get heartburn + painful intestinal spasms if I eat any cooked meat/wheat/dairy.
    Chronic hives return if I eat below 1000 calories per day now.
Any explanations?
[/b]

I understand that Wai is against fasting, and that fasting is considered the worst thing to do for weight loss, but I've lost a little over 100 lbs in 6 months with a combination of a mostly Wai-type diet and something like 20 - 40 water fasts.

I started my diet change with a 5 day water fast, which wasn't the first I'd done. On the third day I started developing hives in a strange sequence, starting under my left nipple, moving under my right nipple, then the sides of my pectoral muscles, then lower back, crawled to upper back, then left side of neck, nook of left elbow, then right side of neck. This whole movement took a few days to happen.

On the third day of the fast I also started developing severe heartburn where I would wake up in the middle of the night with acid in the back of my mouth, and so nauseous I would nearly vomit...

After I started eating again, which was 90% raw, a total change from my previous diet, I was eating somewhere around 1,200 - 1600 calories per day, and the hives and heartburn were still there.

After 3 months, I still had the hives on the areas listed above, so I went to my doctor to see what he thought. He prescribed me antihistamines, thinking it was some sort of external allergy, and medication for the heartburn, which I didn't really take on a regular basis.

The antihistamines did nothing, and I stopped taking them a week later.

At 4 months since the diet change, I decided to maintain my weight for a while, and magically the hives started to disappear over a 2 week period.
My heartburn was still there, but now something else happened; I started having painful spasms in my intestines and would have these stabbing pains and bowel movements until everything was gone, even what I had just eaten, and then it would stop. This was happening nearly every day, so I tried fasting to see if it would help, and it did, but my chronic hives returned...

I went to a gastroenterologist, had a cat scan done, a colonoscopy done, and nothing was physically wrong. I had blood tests done, no deficiencies in anything, perfect blood protein levels, perfect blood pressure, temperature, everything.

For a couple months later, this continued to happen, along with the heartburn...

Then one day it just stopped.

I haven't had heartburn or these intestinal spasms since June 2009, but they now return when I eat any cooked meat/wheat/dairy, and if I eat any of these I will have a breakout that can take 1-3 weeks to clear up again.

I get hives still if I eat below 1000 calories per day, or if I water fast for longer than 1 or 2 days.

I'm wondering if this was some sort of Intense detox I was having, and am having; maybe I'm having an allergic reaction to something stored in my fat tissue, once it's used for energy...?

I'm also wondering about the odd pattern the hives come in, and the sequence as well, why starting on the left side of my body, and moving to the right? Why ONLY the nook of my left elbow, and not the right?

BTW, I haven't changed my diet at all through this whole time period. But I do eat some non-wai foods (raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower seeds, leafy greens, spices, onions ), but my diet is still fruit based, but lacking animal product.

Thanks if you read that, it may be a bit much.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Fasting + Weight Loss & Chronic Hives + Detox?

Post by RRM »

das_schokolade wrote:Had chronic hives for 4 months after fasting and changing to a mostly raw diet.
If you consume too little energy,
that will go at the expense of your defense.
So, it doesnt surprise me at all.
Now I get hives when I eat below 1000 calories per day, or fast.
Again, its logical.
Its also a clear warning; you shouldnt do that anymore.
Please try a very stable intake of energy.
After diet change, started having heartburn and stabbing pains in abdomen, along with severe heartburn.
Abdominal pain and heartburn magically stopped...
Thats also normal.
Every diet requires a specific cocktail of enzymes.
A radical change in diet needs a change of that cocktail
and that simply takes some time, particularly when you also fast.
In the meantime, your digestion will be impaired, hence the heartburn and abdominal pain.
Now I get heartburn + painful intestinal spasms if I eat any cooked meat/wheat/dairy.
Thats also logical, as it is a change in diet again...
(as you now normally dont eat that)
I understand that Wai is against fasting, and that fasting is considered the worst thing to do for weight loss, but I've lost a little over 100 lbs in 6 months with a combination of a mostly Wai-type diet and something like 20 - 40 water fasts.
You can lose weight on any diet.
Losing weight drastically is however never healthy.
A more moderate approach is healthier.
I'm wondering if this was some sort of Intense detox I was having, and am having; maybe I'm having an allergic reaction to something stored in my fat tissue, once it's used for energy...?
I dont think so.
Fasting is drastic, with adverse effects.
I'm also wondering about the odd pattern the hives come in, and the sequence as well, why starting on the left side of my body, and moving to the right? Why ONLY the nook of my left elbow, and not the right?
It has to start somewhere.
Why is the weakest link of a chain a particular link?
because it always is...
I do eat some non-wai foods (raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower seeds, leafy greens, spices, onions )
These can cause abdominal pains as well.
but lacking animal product.
Why?
(PS, after you replied, i will move this thread to the "Non Wai 4 Keepers" section, ok?)
das_schokolade

Post by das_schokolade »

I haven't been eating any animal products simply because fish seems to be expensive, and there doesn't seem to be anyone locally who sells eggs . When we had our own chickens I was eating at least 1-3 raw yolks per day, but now that we don't have any, I certainly wont eat store bought eggs. Our chickens were free-range and lived primarily off of grass and bugs.

I might consider getting some fish if it's cheap enough; what is the cheapest fish that is safe to eat raw?

Thank you for the reply, and move the thread wherever it belongs :P
Iris

Post by Iris »

das_schokolade wrote:I certainly wont eat store bought eggs.
Why not?
das_schokolade

Post by das_schokolade »

Iris wrote:
das_schokolade wrote:I certainly wont eat store bought eggs.
Why not?
Eggs too old and chickens are fed a diet deficient in the proper nutrients. In comparison to store-bought, ours had shells twice as thick, and the yolks were a deep orange rather than the neon yellow in the store bought eggs. The flavor is also noticeably different, ours were much better.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Can't you buy organic, free range eggs? Sure there is a lot of difference in taste (and colour/thickness) between yolks. So maybe you can experiment a bit, see which eggs are acceptable for you? Maybe you can find good eggs at a farmers market, or directly at a farm? In my experience, bio-dynamic (I don't know if this is the right word) yolks are by far the best in taste. But they are expensive. Still, I think it's better to consume second best eggs than no eggs at all.

Cheapest fish which is good to eat raw, is mackerel. But it can be hard to find.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

das_schokolade wrote: fish seems to be expensive
You dont need much of it,
but you do need some animal food.
100 grams of fish doesnt have to be expensive at all...
Eggs too old
Too old for consumption?
Actually, if its a busy supermarket, you will find very fresh eggs.
You can easily check freshness by how solid the yolk is.
I can always find very fresh eggs in the supermarket.
and chickens are fed a diet deficient in the proper nutrients.
Food analysis shows that they contain lots of vitamins and minerals.
If you take a look at our nutrient requirements, we dont need any more than they contain, even if it used to be more.
What nutrients specifically do you think that they lack?
In comparison to store-bought, ours had shells twice as thick, and the yolks were a deep orange rather than the neon yellow in the store bought eggs.
The extra color is from specific beta-carotenes, of which we need only very little.
Consuming twice as much eggs would take care of that...
das_schokolade

Post by das_schokolade »

I guess I was just being naive. Thanks for clearing things up...I guess I'll start eating some store bought eggs.
gianni

Post by gianni »

I found several online books by Dr. Alexander Haig about uric acid that might explain your symptoms. When you fast or severely reduce caloric intake, your body uses your own tissue for food and much uric acid is released causing hives. Uric acid (maybe the worst type of acid to have an excess of in your body!) can be stored in the intestines and stomach which can cause much sharp pain. Meat, of course, because of it's high purine content, and then being cooked, will first seem to relieve some symptoms(the acidity causes the uric acid to clear out of the blood and be deposited in the tissue), but then when the body becomes more alkaline, cause the symptoms to be worse because there is more acid than before. Ridding the body of uric acid can be difficult and tricky, but a vegan diet is not good for that.

Take care,
Betsy