calcium in oranges and fiber

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
overkees
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

calcium in oranges and fiber

Post by overkees »

Okay, so I was playing with the nutrient calculator a bit. Then I noticed something: in 1kg of navel oranges (peeled) you get 400mg of calcium. Compared to orange juice that is 110mg calcium per 1kg.

Calcium was that one thing which the normal wai diet was lacking in some versions of it. So now we have a backup plan. Just add more orange fiber to your juice and you will get more calcium, if you are on low calcium. But I think that a minimum of 600 calcium is enough since we don't experience absorption interference problems from our food (compared to someone on a SAD). But still, if you are afraid you now have some tricks to prevent supplementing with calcium tablets.

I must add, that I used to have a lot of troubles with fibers. They gave me lots of gasses and I needed to go to the toilet alot. When I just bought the slow juicer I had some really bad gas problems due to the fact that I eat more fiber. But since 2 weeks I never experience gas problems anymore. I have been drinking alot more pulp since I use the slow juicer (I don't strain my juice anymore and since I don't experience the problems I let some of the pulp run through again). I have found that my energy control has improved since making this decision. It hasn't given me any nasty side effects as previously it did.

I have a few explanations for this: I chew my juice nowadays; I always had a lot of banana pulp already so I didn't have an abrupt change in pulp, but why the problems in the begin, when I started slow juicing then? So I think those are not the mainreasons.

Well there has been one change in the past few weeks and that is in my buteyko conquest of getting a CP above 40s almost every morning (since 2 weeks). I've read yesterday on the normalbreathing site that if you go above 40s CP you will have certain metabolic changes that allow you to digest fiber better.

It probably is a combination of all these things together and I'm not so negative about fiber anymore as I was in the begin. It has give me alot of benefits regarding to energy management and no negative side effects.

PS- love how the standard american diet abbreviates to SAD
dime

Re: calcium in oranges and fiber

Post by dime »

You use a manual slow juicer right? Wouldn't it be same if you just blend everything, if you anyway eat the fiber?
I do the same with the oranges, manually squeeze them with a 'juicer' like this

and then just turn around the pulp back in the juice. I anyway get too close to zero fiber in my diet. But chewing the juice, isn't it bad for the teeth eventually?

I think it just takes some time to get used to fiber, develop the right bacteria etc, that's why you had problems in the beginning. But maybe it's also because of the breathing progress.
overkees

Post by overkees »

No I bought the Hurom Juicer. And do you eat all the pulp? I can't do that, if it's too fibrous I will get gag reflexes and can't swallow it.. I just add 30-40 % of the pulp.

And my indicators of a good dental health: Never bleeding gums (I always brush my gums intensively); no rough plaqueesque teeth, instead they are always really smooth; no coating of the tongue, it's always really pink and there are no cracks in it; I also never have stinging sensations except for my wisdom tooth which I can't reach by brushing.

So I have no reason to believe it might be bad for my teeth.
dime

Post by dime »

Yeah I put it all in the juice, but I guess you get much more pulp with the juicer than I get with my little manual thing. Then I drink it with a fat straw :)
My teeth are a bit transparent so I'm more careful and try to avoid acids as much as I can.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Had that problem to, but since brushing with coconut oil my teeth seem to have imrpoved alot. Note that normal toothpaste contains abbrasives. So if you already have soft teeth it can be even more malicious to brush with toothpaste.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:Calcium was that one thing which the normal wai diet was lacking in some versions of it.
Children need more calcium than adults (per kg bodyweight)
Regardless of the diet, all children in the world develop strong bones. (if they are not deprived of daylight)
So, there is no diet in the world that lacks calcium.
I think that a minimum of 600 calcium is enough
600 is not the minimum at all.
Various diets contain half as much, still enabling optimal bone growth.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:600 is not the minimum at all.
And how much is needed to maintain electrolytes balance?

Btw, what do you think about this:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/09/19/calcium-paradox/comment-page-1/ wrote:Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a regulator calcium metabolism. If dietary calcium isn’t optimal, blood calcium will be deficient, and PTH will rise. PTH increases absorption of calcium and leaches calcium from bones to maintain serum calcium causing bone loss. As bones lose calcium, the soft tissue calcify. Cells also inappropriately take up too much calcium, stressing the cell, and leading to inefficient energy production and lactic acid creating inflammation and fibrotic conditions. Chronically high PTH contributes to the calcification of soft tissues, stress, inflammation, and depressed cellular respiration. Calcium deficiency has a clear link to high blood pressure due to high PTH. Sodium excess often wrongly gets blamed on hypertension.
Ok, I must be honest with you, when I read this I don't understand clearly what it means. But I can get the conclusion that low calcium intake equals being bad for our health. Whether is it true or not, that's the think I want to know.
Also, the thing I wonder is about PTH and how it stresses our body.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

For PTH it is about the calcium phosphorous balance. You can eat quite low calcium and still have good balance. Especially oranges have a very good calcium phosphorus balance. Eggs and muscle meat not so.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Kasper wrote:For PTH it is about the calcium phosphorous balance. You can eat quite low calcium and still have good balance. Especially oranges have a very good calcium phosphorus balance. Eggs and muscle meat not so.
Does, for example, 600mg Calcium and 1500mg of Phosphorous per day seems balanced to you? I'm supposing that you are talking about a 1:1 ratio.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

i think close to 1 on 1 is proven to be best. but there are factors that can allow for higher phosphorus like fructose and vitamin D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Novidez wrote:
RRM wrote:600 is not the minimum at all.
And how much is needed to maintain electrolytes balance?
There is no number for that.
As you said, it is a balance; 300:300 and 600:600 is the same balance.
Btw, what do you think about this:
A mix up of HPTH and the outdated notion that osteoporosis is due to low calcium intakes. (osteoporotic bone fractures at old age are most frequent in countries where lifetime calcium intake is highest)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Novidez wrote:Does, for example, 600mg Calcium and 1500mg of Phosphorous per day seems balanced to you? I'm supposing that you are talking about a 1:1 ratio.
Luckily, our body is very capable in adjusting absorption rates (up to 10-fold!), so that non-extreme intakes have little influence.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

RRM wrote:
Novidez wrote:Does, for example, 600mg Calcium and 1500mg of Phosphorous per day seems balanced to you? I'm supposing that you are talking about a 1:1 ratio.
Luckily, our body is very capable in adjusting absorption rates (up to 10-fold!), so that non-extreme intakes have little influence.
Do you mean little influence on PTH?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If one consumes 400 mg calcium and 600 gram phosphorus, and someone else consumes 800 mg calcium and 600 gram phosphorus, it may be that both take up exactly the same amounts of calcium and phosphorus, due to adjusted absorption rates. In that case there is indeed no different influence on PTH either.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:it may be that both take up exactly the same amounts of calcium and phosphorus
The way you say that, it makes me think that supplements aren't that bad. After all, our bodies will absorb only the necessary.
(Unless, of course, supplements forces our body to absorb them involuntarily. I don't know how they work.)