Normal cooked/raw Paleo Diet as alternative to Wai

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Saiva
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Saiva »

Cesium - A radioactive isotope (Cs - 137) from the Tjernobyl accident. My region is one of those that got the most. It's still not ok to eat the berries and mushrooms in the archipelago(where I live) :x

That pisses me off :evil:

//Saiva
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

That would piss me off, too! How sad :(

~Amber
huntress

Post by huntress »

Cesium - A radioactive isotope (Cs - 137) from the Tjernobyl accident
Wow Saiva :shock: That is sad! Even after 20 years the aftermath of Chernobyl still lives... are other crops/plants affected too?
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Well, most of the wildlife are affected. But mostly the mushrooms, elks, mosses, lichen, bears and berries. The cesium replaces a mineral in animals/plants. Kalium - in swedish, i don't know the english word for it. :? So when the plants use the cesium instead of kalium and the animals eat the plants... The Sami population in the north keep reindeers semi-wild, thease animals eat a lot of mosses and lichen so they often contain a lot of cesium. They have to give the reindeers grains a couple of months before they can kill the animal(to eat of course).

The fish in forest lakes could be bad too if the water stands very still.

And those who use wood to heat their houses has gotten a description how to treat the ashes(from the affected areas), which might contain cesium to avoid unneccecary exposure. :?

The reason why we got a lot of cesium, plotonium e.t.c. is because when the big "radioactive cloud" came by sweden it started to rain :( So a lot of the atoms came down with the water and sinked into the ground.

The gouvernment says now that the most of the cesium is bound into the ground now. And the doses are small enough not to cause cancer. But everyone should avoid to eat a lot of food from the forest in the areas where it came down with the rain.

In another 10 years it will be half the amount of cesium that came down left...

I hope I didn't write too much text, It sounds horrible when I write it but you really get used to it. That you have to avoid certain things. Heh :)

(I pick my blueberries further inland)

//Saiva
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Kalium = potassium. :)
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Oh, ok! Thanks Oscar! :D

//Saiva
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Wait a minute... How did you know what potassium was called in swedish?? :twisted: :lol:

//Saiva
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Jag studerar svenska här. ;)
huntress

Post by huntress »

Thank you very much for the info Saiva! :D I really appreciate the explanation coming from someone who is experiencing it first hand. I've read about the hazards on radioactivity and how the people suffered from it in the news but it is even more invigorating reading it directly from you.

I was just looking at the pictures of the deserted town of Pripyat,Ukraine (the town where the disaster occured) and felt so deeply saddened by the fact that such a misfortune causes a huge disruption that will last for years, even in the neighbouring region.

I really do hope that all goes well for you(and the Swedish people too) :wink:
Kalium - in swedish, i don't know the english word for it
Oh Saiva :) I learned them all in Latin terms too so Kalium is much more familliar to me than Potassium. I still find it a struggle to switch from Latin terms to English terms. :?

And don't worry about your writing, it is perfectly understandable and readable. :wink:
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Huntress

No problem :) I'm glad that you are interested about it. It's so easy to forget as the time goes since nobody talk about it anymore. And still people are dying from the effects. And it will be affecting the next generation too. I wached the pictures too today and read some of the stories from people living in Pripyat at the time. I feel deeply saddened too but still very very lucky for not being born there.

Ah, kalium is latin... Of course it is, haha :wink: I don't know why I thought it was swedish :)
Oh Saiva I learned them all in Latin terms too so Kalium is much more familliar to me than Potassium. I still find it a struggle to switch from Latin terms to English terms.

And don't worry about your writing, it is perfectly understandable and readable.
Thank you for those kind words! :D

Oscar
Jag studerar svenska här.
Really? Where is "here"? And I hope you don't mind me asking... but why swedish?? :D

//Saiva
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Saiva wrote:Oscar
Jag studerar svenska här.
Really? Where is "here"? And I hope you don't mind me asking... but why swedish?? :D

//Saiva
Hahaha! I was just pulling your leg, sorry! :D
But to answer your question: in dutch, potassium is also called kalium. :)
And sodium is called natrium. Iron isn't called ferro though, but ijzer. :?
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Oscar :lol: :oops: :wink:

Hehe, I know. I'm too gullible for my own good 8)

//Saiva
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

:D Well as long as you can laugh about it. Laughing is very healthy, they say. :)
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

True :D

People shouldn't take themselves too seriosly :)

//Saiva
nick

Post by nick »

Oscar,

If laughing is healthy then I might be doing too much of a good thing. Sometime I'll just laugh for no reason, like there is some indirect thought causing it. It's very hard to control once it gets started. Ha!