Normal cooked/raw Paleo Diet as alternative to Wai

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
fredb
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by fredb »

Thomas what kind of foods did you eat while on the Plaeo diet? i mean my skin has got a little better but im still breaking out a little. i'm kind of doing the WAI diet(fruit/fat) in the morning and more of a Paleo diet in the afternooon evening (meat/ veggie based). I'm still eating moderate amout of fruit, cooked meats(salmon,tuna,chicken,turkey) and alots of lightly steamed brocolli, i was thinking of totally cutting out all fruit / sugar. what do you think thomas. I mean it has been 2 years since i really been eating alot of meat, now im eating 1lb of meat daily. maybe my body needs more time to adust? i been on this new Paleo based diet for a bout a week...thanks
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think the Wai Diet is much more effective, but you MUST only ingest very small amounts throughout the day (at least 10 meals per day if eating whole fruit).

When on a more traditional paleo diet, I ate a large amount of *lean* meat (seafood, buffalo, chicken breast, etc), quite a bit of fruit, some salad (lettuce with fruit 'veggies'), and steamed cruciferous veggies.

When I was on the diet I was VERY active and, therefore, my high fruit intake served to replenish muscle/liver glycogen stores.

If you are not VERY active, I would recommend eating small amounts of fruit during the daytime (one piece, with sufficient nuts/oil to balance) and make your dinner meal consists of steamed veggies/fruit 'veggie' salad and lean meat. Remember, you do not need to cook the meat... I used to eat much of my meat raw on this lifestyle, until I realized Wai's diet made me feel much better. If you do cook, make sure to steam, boil or bake at extremely low temperatures.

Another thing you can try (and this is recommended in books such as "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain) is eating protein in the morning along with, say, one piece of fruit.
For instance, try eating .5 lbs buffalo, chicken breast, or salmon along with one banana (or a couple of apples), and you will be surprised at the stable energy flow throughout the day. The reason for this is because the redundant protein is converted into glucose. Furthermore, blood sugar will remain stable due to the light effect lean meat has on the pancreas.

Let me know how it goes...

Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

By the way... if you do go this route, make sure to also include quite a bit of fatty fish, and olive oil. Your body will rebel if you do not.

Post by Guest »

Thank you Thomas, yeah i do eat all my meat cooked, except for maybe beef (only cooked on the outside, mostly raw), but i switched how i cooked my meat, i now boil it in water or use my crock pot. Other than than that i eat alot of steamed brocolli, and im stilling eat a decent amount of fruit and fat. I'm really getting into Mercola, he really believes in eating for your metabolic type and i think im definitly a protein type. what are the best and safest meats to eat mostly raw?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Dr Mercola has a very sensible approach to MODERN DAY 'paleolithic' eating.
Mercola realizes that an excessive sugar intake (even in the form of fruit) leads to numerous problems.
In the modern world many of us either have too much trouble following Wai's diet, or simply do not have time.

Therefore, unless you are only eating one piece of fruit at a time, I would advice you to only consume low glycemic fruit (fruit that contains quite some fiber to inhibit overeating). This will prevent the blood sugar swings that lead to acne.

Regarding meat, I think the 'searing' of the beef is great. This greatly reduces the risk of E.Coli infection (which, by the way, exists in the human intestinal tract anyway).
Unless you are cooking your fish or eating fresh, raw tuna; buy all of it from a sushi bar or from a mail order company such as CatalinaOP.

Try steaming chicken and shellfish... I get gasses from eating chicken cooked in any other way, and the amount of mutagenic substances formed by steaming is minimal.

Good luck

Post by Guest »

Thomas - Thank's so much for the fish source!(CatalinaOP) I think I'll try that. I enjoy Dr. Mercola's site a lot and receive his newsletter. He's a great source for someone looking for another "healthy" diet, if an all-raw one doesn't work for them or perhaps their body is not suited for 100% raw. I believe there are many diets that could be healthy for different people and that it's just a matter of trying different ones to see which one works best for your individual make-up.

Although there may be some factors that are necessary in every healthy diet, such as at least SOME raw fats and proteins, and no processed foods, etc.

Our ancestors didn't ALL eat the same things! It most likely varied by region, just as it does today. Those native to the tropical areas probably ate a lot more fish and fruits than the ones that lived inland, for example - they probably ate more greens and tubers, and some red meat. I think it's kind of funny when people lump ALL of our ancestors together into one group and say exactly what they ate because the truth is that until we can go back in time and see exactly what the ate, we will never know. I don't see any point in arguing about it - just experiment with which diet gives you the most energy, makes you look the best, and seems to nourish your spirit and it will most likely be close to what YOUR specific ancestors ate, and you'll know you've found the diet for you. That's what makes sense to me, anyway.

I'm still looking for the diet that will be perfect for my body, but I know it will include raw egg yolks, sashimi, and fruits! It will (eventually) also most likely include some raw goat dairy and a small amount of cooked vegetables, as well as maybe some soaked nuts and a small amount of soaked/sprouted grains...My skin and energy level will tell me when I'm on the perfect diet for me.

Peace and smiles,
Amber
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Thanks Amber, you speak a lot of sense!

I absolutely agree that there is no such thing as the 'perfect' diet - we should simply accept that everyone is different and are perhaps more suited to some types of food more than others.

Take care,
James
x
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Anyone heard of the Warrior Diet? I tried it a while ago and I distinctly recall feeling extremely happy and satisfied when following it. Then I stumbled across Wai's diet and developed a paranoia about 'dirty' protein and swiftly abandoned the WD. Since then it's been on my mind from time to time. (Please note: By posting this information about the WD, I'm not trying to be a heretic, I just wanted to affirm James and Amber's statements about there being no 'perfect' diet for everyone.) The WD is a variant of the Paleo diet that incorporates plenty of raw fruits, vegetables, and fresh juices during the day (to make your system alkaline, regenerate your organs and skin, and load you up with enzymes and antioxidants), and then allows you to 'free-eat' (1) salad, (2) organic lean (cooked) proteins, and finally, (3) some 'primitive' wholegrains (eg. spelt, kamut, barley, quinoa). The 'free-eating' phase is literally that - because you undereat during the day, you can consume up to three meals' worth of food in one sitting at night. Hofmekler, the book's author, follows the diet himself and looks beautifully lean and muscular (he is in his late forties, I believe), and he claims that undereating during the day and overeating at night takes advantage of the body's natural cycle between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems. Also, undereating during daylight hours 'primes' the body for maximum uptake of nutrients from food consumed during the overeating phase. The following is taken from the WD website:

Humans are primarily destined to follow certain feeding cycles and physical activities. In accordance with the “Thrifty Genes theory”, scientists speculate that humans have adapted to survive better during cycles of feast and famine, action and rest. We are all pre-programmed to follow life cycles that involve periodic lack of food as well as physical activity that force the body to compensate by accelerating energy utilization and fat burning as well as facilitating tissue repair and growth.

The current epidemic of obesity, diabetes and impotence bears testimony to the fact that humans today have betrayed their biological destiny.

In summary, the leading causes for people today failing to maintain primal health are:

Eating too many meals during the day,
Eating when not hungry,
Wrong food choices,
Imbalance between activity and relaxation

Just wondered what anyone else thinks about this. Hofmekler writes at length about the insulin-regulating system and how to reduce your risk of developing diabetes. You can read more at:
http://www.warriordiet.com/principles.html

(And no, I am not a spokesperson for Hofmekler's company!!!)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah, I tried this a while ago...

Let me tell ya, it wont work if you are physically active. I think the reason it works so well for Ori is because he mostly restricts his physical activity to heavy lifting (he used to be a NAVY seal).
The problem is, you end up having to eat so much food at one meal that your stomach feels like it will burst. Couple that with only eating fruits as a source of carbs and, well, you get the picture...

Also, from a biological standpoint the warrior diet is not good for those trying to maintain muscle mass (as opposed to being super lean). During the day, your body will catabolically break down muscle protein for glucose.

Any weight loss that is achieved on his diet is due to the fact that it is physiologically impossible for the body to ingest enough food in one sitting to make up for an entire days worth of caloric expenditure. This is compounded by the fact that the food included in the diet is both high fiber (fruits/veggies), and rapidaly satiating (lean protein).

Give it a try, but after a while you will be back on Wai's Diet. Believe me, Ive tried many times to quit the Wai frequent eating schedule, but once your body knows the difference...
I feel like that's part of the reason you see so many people going on and off the diet. Mentally they want something more 'normal' and easy, but physiologically the body knows what it right.
Once you do Wais diet for more than a month or two there is no turning back (fortunately or unfortunately).
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Anonymous wrote:fire began about 1.5 million years...
Ridiculous.

We don't even have evidence modern man existed anywhere near 1.5 million years ago.

The most liberal estimates put the number closer to 50,000 - 75,000 years.
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Anonymous wrote:since fruit isnt what it use to be wouldnt it be better eat more raw veggies? which are far more mineral dense and less sugar?
Vegetables, by definition, contain no sugar.

How can we possibly survive on such a food?
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

I've tried both traditional sami diet, the "normal western diet", paleo diet and wai diet... And I must say that wai's diet was the hardest one of them all to stay on! If it's the optimal diet or not - I don't know. But it didn't suit me att all. I'm eating a bit of a mix of all of thease instead.

Meat from animals that is naturally fed(grass, herbs-NOT grains) or reindeer, elk, wild boar etc. Lean meat or not doesn't matter to me as long as the animal is naturally brought up.
Fish(only caught i the wild from clean seas-NOT the Baltic sea... :( ) The salmon I eat raw(thanks to wai :) )
Eggs, I eat the yolk raw with banana :)

And then some berries(not picked by the coastline because of the cesium :shock: ), cheese(non pasteurised? ones like Brie), fruit, nuts, vegetables and oils(mostly coconut) and coconut milk.

But also I do cheat sometimes... I love chocolate too much :wink:

If I cook the foods I try to do so on as low heat as possible...

Thats what works for me at the moment... Try as many as possible and see what works for you! We are all different!

//Saiva

Post by Guest »

if you lived out in nature, fruit would be rare, but animal food and some vegetables would be abundant : )
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It depends on where you live, plus which era we're talking about...
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Saiva wrote:And then some berries(not picked by the coastline because of the cesium :shock:
the what-ium? :?