Ray Peat..Haidut..Ede...etc

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Ray Peat..Haidut..Ede...etc

Post by RRM »

Aytundra wrote:True OR False
I am no authority to decide over the mix up of abbreviations.
Even in scientific articles published in the same year, different abbreviations are used for the same molcules,
or one abbreviation for different molecules. There is no one standard list.
I looked at the next sentence:
RRM wrote:Total fat in seeds such as flaxseed and chia seeds consists of more than 50% ALNA / LNA, which is too much.
Flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA over LNA.
Flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA over TotalALNA+GLA
No, not "over", but "or", or "and".
Total fat in flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA.
and/or (logically):
Total fat in flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% LNA (undifferentiated).
I am thinking ALNA is bad, GLA is good
Im thinking that is not true.
Both are good.
Both are important.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

RRM wrote:
Aytundra wrote:a) True OR False
I am no authority to decide over the mix up of abbreviations.
Even in scientific articles, different abbreviations are used for the same molcules,
or one abbreviation for different molecules.
It looks like that field needs a consensus and standardization of words!
RRM wrote:
Aytundra wrote:
RRM wrote:Total fat in seeds such as flaxseed and chia seeds consists of more than 50% ALNA / LNA, which is too much.
Flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA over LNA.
Flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA over TotalALNA+GLA
No, not "over", but "or", or "and".
Total fat in flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% ALNA.
and/or (logically):
Total fat in flaxseed and chia seeds consist of more than 50% LNA (undifferentiated)
That (logic) brings in the error of loosing precision in language. They should say ALNA when they mean ALNA and not LNA.
i.e. Eat more vegetables, when they mean eat more Vitamin K1. Just say "eat more Vitamin K1 from food sources", that is more precise.

I think I understand now:

ALNA
_________________ = 50%
(MUFA + PUFA + SFA)
:) is the right calculation equation to find the ratio.

and not,

ALNA
_________________ = 50%
(ALNA + GLNA)
:( is the wrong calculation equation to find the ratio.
RRM wrote:
Aytundra wrote: I am thinking ALNA is bad, GLA is good
Im thinking that is not true.
Both are good.
Both are important.
Ok, ALNA, GLA are back to neutral status, unless a condition is stated for it's importance.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Aytundra wrote:They should say ALNA when they mean ALNA and not LNA.
Well, sometimes only undifferentiated LNA values are known, and not the values for the differentiated fatty acids.
I think I understand now ... is the right calculation equation to find the ratio.
Im not saying there is only one right equation.
It is often claimed that omega-6 to omega-3 ratio should not exceed 4:1, and that a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio might be fine.
All equations may serve a purpose, and even the same purpose from a slightly different angle.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

RRM wrote:It is often claimed that omega-6 to omega-3 ratio should not exceed 4:1, and that a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio might be fine.
I read somewhere (I don't remember where though) if you are a very active person that do lots of physical exercise, this ratio can be a little higher like 5:1 or even 7:1. I don't know If this is true, but if it is, do you know the reason behind it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Omega-6 eicosanoids are involved in control of growth processes after physical activity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid
Increased levels of physical exercise will require more omega-6 eicosanoids.
Aytundra

the bad is...

Post by Aytundra »

In Wai Theory, Dirty proteins are bad.
In Ray Peat Theory, PUFAs are bad.

In Wai Theory, dairy products are excluded, as that may create problems.
In Ray Peat Theory, high PUFA products are excluded, as that may create problems.

Do Ray Peat followers get (acne) problems from consuming dairy?
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Aytundra wrote:Do Ray Peat followers get (acne) problems from consuming dairy?
Well, when I am navigating around Ray Peat's world, I think I didn't see any successful story regarding acne yet (I can be wrong). Actually, they advise you to 'cheat' (take supplements) to get rid of it. So...
Aytundra

Is it salt?

Post by Aytundra »

If PUFA is the main cause for inflammatory response, as believed by Peaterians, than Peatarians should be fine without incidents of acne.

What is bothering me, is the idea that Ray Peat Theory might be wrong (I feel like I am reading a lot of gibberish), it is not PUFA, it is probably a confounding variable.
That variable is what is making those Peatarians moderately happy about following some PUFA dogma. And "PUFA" as their scapegoat word.
Is that variable that they removed a lot of cooked salted foods?
Same thing as Wai dieters that removed a lot of cooked salted foods?

I think Gavriel or someone on the forum mentioned that when he avoided nuts the diet got even better, and that salted butter was not okay, but creme without salt as a munch food was fine. And I think RRM said that the raw herring fish with salt was not okay for acne, but that was because of the salt. While freezing fish has no affect on acne, but cooked fish does, and salted fish does.
It seems like salt is the common thing between 'salt + creme' and 'salt + raw fish'.
Removal of salt ends with the possibility of 'creme' is okay to eat, 'raw fish' is okay to eat.

The thing about processed meats are that, food industry puts in salt to their meats.

Multiple choice:
Which causes acne?
A) Salt causes a response.
B) Dirty protein causes a response.
C) High Dirty protein causes a response.
D) High protein causes a response.
E) PUFA causes a response.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Well, when I am navigating around Ray Peat's world, I think I didn't see any successful story regarding acne yet (I can be wrong). Actually, they advise you to 'cheat' (take supplements) to get rid of it. So...
Ray Peat said he had success with himself and clients by getting thyroid to function optimally (using food), and by increasing vitamin A (using liver). If food doesn't work, he would advice supplementing thyroid and/or vitamin A.
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Kasper wrote:Ray Peat said he had success with himself and clients by getting thyroid to function optimally (using food), and by increasing vitamin A (using liver). If food doesn't work, he would advice supplementing thyroid and/or vitamin A.
The other day I met a person that doesn't have thyroid. She doesn't have much acne either, I would say practically none (she eats a standard diet (lots of PUFA)). And she seems very healthy without it.
Thyroid, thyroid, thyroid... How would Ray Peat deal with a person without thyroid? All his solutions seem to be regarding it :P
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

The other day I met a person that eat tons of junk fried food daily. He doesnt have acne. (He still looks sick and bloater but nvm lol)

If you have no thyroid gland I think the mainstream view is that you supplement thyroid and that this works pretty okay. I guess she does that?
Novidez

Post by Novidez »

Kasper wrote:The other day I met a person that eat tons of junk fried food daily. He doesnt have acne.
Yeah, I know that feeling.
Actually, I was with my friends the other day (some were drunk, etc) and guess what, in the group the one who looked the unhealthiest was me, because I am still orange (it is slowly disappearing). Seriously, sometimes I think to myself "I am so worried about my health, I try to follow the healthiest things and I will always seem to be the person with more health problems overall.".
Kasper wrote:If you have no thyroid gland I think the mainstream view is that you supplement thyroid and that this works pretty okay. I guess she does that?
That's actually a good question, but I didn't ask her. Well, now, I do not feel very comfortable to do so because I don't know her very well. And also, they studied Medicine, so when I was talking (as a noobish person) about thyroid, they all were laughing at me. Even when I talked about food and how food can affect us, they weren't really enthusiastic about the idea. "It's just food", they said.
Last edited by Novidez on Sat 04 Jun 2016 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

The other day I read an article that says linoleic acid is the primary EFA. The article cautions that Chyle leak patients on a no fat or low long chain fatty acid diet need to be wary of their EFA levels. Chyle leak patients are required to go on a no fat or MCT oil diet because, they need to minimize fats being mobilized in the lymph system until their chyle heals and stops leaking lymphe out of the chyle.
McCray S. & Parrish C.R. (2004). When Chyle Leaks: Nutrition Management Options. Nutrition Issues in Gastroenterology, Series #17. Practical Gastroenterology. p.70. Retrieved from URL: http://www.nutricritical.com.br/core/files/figuras/file/Chyle%20leaks.pdf wrote: Patients following a fat free or diet with MCT oil as the only fat source for any length of time may need to supplement essential fatty acids (EFA) and fat soluble vitamins. Essential fatty acid deficiency (EFAD) can begin to occur within as little as five days without provision (16). MCT oil contains negligible, if any, EFA (Mead Johnson’s = 29% C8, 67% C10 and < 4% greater than C10) (http://www.meadjohnson.com/products/hcp ... ctoil.html). EFA cannot be produced by the body and must be received in the diet. Linoleic acid is the primary EFA. Linolenic acid and arachadonic acid are other associated fatty acids that can be produced by the body in the presence of adequate linoleic acid. EFAD
can result in skin lesions, eczema, impaired wound healing, thrombocytopenia, and growth problems. EFA needs can be met by providing approximately 2%–4% of total caloric intake (approximately 40–80 kcal) of essential fatty acids per day for a 2000-calorie diet. Linoleic
acid is found in vegetable oils, especially those made from safflower, sunflower or corn oil. For EFA content of selected vegetable oils see Table 6. It may be possible to replace EFA by topical application of EFA, however, if this is to be continued for a significant length of time, EFA status should be monitored (17).
It seems at least in the opinion of that article, that EFA plays a role in the body. That the intake of linoleic acid is necessary.
I wonder what Ray Peat and Peatarians have to say about that?
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Kasper wrote:Giiiiiiirl ...
:lol:
-squiiiiiiirl-aytundra