Breast Feeding

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

Studies have shown that the longer children are breastfed, the more intelligent they are. The study stopped at children aged 5, so but the researchers assumed breastfeeding past that would increase intelligence even more.

I was only breastfed for 6 weeks which explains a lot :wink:

Don't children stop producing lactase (the enzyme you need to digest milk sugar) aged 5? Which suggests thats their natural weaning age?

Somewhere I read that compared to animals, our relative age would be 7.

You are "advised" to stop giving formula at 12 months and switch to cows milk....

So surely it would be safe to make a home made raw formula milk and give that from 12 months?

eg:
Raw Goat Milk
Duck Yolk (cholesterol)
Coconut Cream (Lauric Acid)
Olive Oil (Oleic Acid)
Flax Oil (Linolenic Acid)
Krill Oil (the only raw "fish" oil - for DHA and EPA)
Vegetable or Fruit Juice (Glucose, Galactose, Iron, Vitamins A,C,E)

Vegetable would be better as its the highest source of all the above.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:In my view, I don't feel that I or anybody has the rights to tell mothers what they should do.
Oh, absolutely.
When there are studies that show that breastfeeding is healthier than formula milk, we should spare no effort to try to convince mothers that they should breastfeed.
Why?
Because babies cannot talk.
Maybe you dont care whether you have been breasfed or not, but im convinced that there are many people that wish that they had been breastfed for 1.5 years minimally.
And you know what?
Every baby deserves the best start possible.
Since babies cannot talk it is our duty to get as many mothers breastfeeding their babies for at least 1.5 years.
The issue is about giving the majority of the mothers on this earth a little bit more credit and talk to them with a bit more respect.
We have enormous respect for every mother that does everything she can to give her child the best start possible.
We dont respect mothers that dont care so much.
I feel more a general anger and distrust towards mothers
If you read anger from Wai's words, that is not anger to mothers in general.
NOT AT ALL. Wai hails all mothers that have their child's interest at heart.
Wai's anger is directed to those mothers that prefer to keep their breasts into shape over the right of the baby to receive breastfeeding.
Its directed to those mothers that feel its 'just too much hassle'.
Its to those who feel its up to them to choose whether they breastfeed, or not.
Its not up to them.
Its the right of the baby to be breastfed.
If you willingly get pregnant, you oblige yourself to breastfeeding that child.
If you are not ready to do so, just buy a barbiedoll instead.
rischott

Post by rischott »

CHEERS RRM!!!
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

RRM wrote:
Chin-Chin wrote:In my view, I don't feel that I or anybody has the rights to tell mothers what they should do.
Oh, absolutely.
When there are studies that show that breastfeeding is healthier than formula milk, we should spare no effort to try to convince mothers that they should breastfeed.
Why?
Because babies cannot talk.
Maybe you dont care whether you have been breasfed or not, but im convinced that there are many people that wish that they had been breastfed for 1.5 years minimally.
And you know what?
Every baby deserves the best start possible.
Since babies cannot talk it is our duty to get as many mothers breastfeeding their babies for at least 1.5 years.
The assuption that mothers who don't breastfeed do it out of egotism and utter lack of care for their kids seems rather sweeping and unjust, considering that in the majority of the case that is not what I see.

Because women finally CAN choose when and how they have their kids (again, that's not a guaranteed right in many parts of the world), most of them act in their kids' best interest, especially since they can only afford to have one or two kids in urban cities.

Which brings the question that does not seem to have occured in your mind: that mothers are not able to breastfeed for 1 and half years for other reasons than wanting to keep perfect breasts (studies have shown that not breastfeeding causes a higher incidence of breast cancer), but because A) they are the most economically fragilized population, B) there's a natural rejection of mother's milk (in my case), C) the mother has no milk to provide (this is not uncommon).

I'd suggest mothers to consult this link for SUPPORTIVE information on breastfeeding:

http://www.breastfeeding.com

It is actually hosted by real mothers who breastfed and includes all sorts of information on breastfeeding troubleshooting, working moms, the right to breastfeed in public, etc. I find it much more balanced and informative than Wai's article, and since there's no plan to change her article, I would suggest reading other sources instead.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Cultural norms in the United States are so influential that women often choose not to breastfeed for purely social reasons, not because they believe that formula provides better nourishment for their babies.  Few will argue that breasts are intended to feed babies.  Yet formula feeding has become a sign of modernity, freedom, sophistication, and affluence.  In many cultures, including ours, breasts are viewed as sexual objects and women worry that they will not be able to make enough milk to meet their babies' needs.  Insufficient milk is the most common reason given by women for stopping breastfeeding.  Studies suggest that 25-50 percent of women "believe" their milk supply is insufficient, primarily because their babies are fussy after feedings.  Yet, careful examination shows that only 1-2 percent are truly unable to produce adequate milk.1  Nevertheless, perceived insufficient milk supply is a reality for many mothers and negatively impacts breastfeeding behavior.  It is interesting to note that perceived insufficient milk and other problems related to infant feeding -  such as colic -  are only reported in Western cultures.
There have been significant increases in breastfeeding among well-educated, older, and middle and upper income women in the United States.  However, breastfeeding rates among poorly educated and economically disadvantaged populations remain well below our nation's Healthy People 2000 goals.2  To eliminate these disparities, professional organizations and governmental agencies have joined together and formed the United States Breastfeeding Committee.  The formation of this collaborative partnership represents the first step toward the development and dissemination of a strategic plan for protecting, promoting, and supporting breastfeeding in the United States.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Most women don't know there's anything wrong with formula. It's seen as "the norm".
avalon

Post by avalon »

Years ago it was easier to remain ignorant. We didn't have the internet and knowledge base we do now. Raising kids on formula, fast foods, munch foods was a way to make life easier...little did we know...

Now though, anyone intersted in the lives of their children, friends and family can do some research and make more appropriate decisions to safe guard their bodies from harm. Natural, homepathic cures that were previously unavailable are now a click away.

Such a Marvel!

Years ago I was given a saying by one of my School Teachers-

"Look many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe".

peace.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

ChinChin is arguing more about the tone of Wai's article than it's content I think. She's in favor of helping mothers to be informed and to do their best to give their babies the best.
I agree though that Wai's article suggests a whole other perspective with it's view that since babies can't talk one has to be super strict to make sure babies get their rights fulfilled. It's meant to be provocative, to shock people awake and that's why it won't change. We need a bit of this 'shock therapy' from time to time...
But now with the Internet there is so much information that mothers can ALSO read from the sites you mentioned if they feel bad and make their own decisions. Thanks for these too!
It's also possible that Wai was in contact during her modeling work with many women who were indeed more concerned about their breasts than their baby's health and was influenced by this aspect the most. It's not the only reason as you say Chin Chin. Especially in poorer developing contries where Nestlé comes in saying mothers milk is not good enough and ours is better.
First the mothers must get good food, then they will know they can feed their own babies. A huge project!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I agree with Corinne (otherwise I'll get beat up again ;)).
Chin-Chin wrote:It is actually hosted by real mothers who breastfed and includes all sorts of information on breastfeeding troubleshooting, working moms, the right to breastfeed in public, etc.
It looks like a good site with lots of info, but I couldn't find that it's hosted by mothers. Where does it say that? They say:
Breastfeeding.com is a private company, unaffiliated with any government agency, large corporation or large non-profit. We accept and are funded by sponsors who, in our opinion, provide important products or services to breastfeeding moms.
And they have a medical advisory board.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

:lol: at Oscar!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:The assuption that mothers who don't breastfeed do it out of egotism and utter lack of care for their kids seems rather sweeping and unjust
Did we say that?
Many mothers dont know any better.
I said we dont respect mothers that dont care so much.
Because women finally CAN choose when and how they have their kids
If they CAN choose, they SHOULD choose breastfeeding.

Which brings the question that does not seem to have occured in your mind: that mothers are not able to breastfeed for 1 and half years
What makes you think it hasnt occured in my mind?

I'd suggest mothers to consult this link for SUPPORTIVE information on breastfeeding:
WaiSays articles are not support groups.
Hail to support groups (if they promoot breastfeeding).
I find it much more balanced and informative than Wai's article
Who said we want it to be balanced? / politically/socially correct?
We prefer provocative scientific details.
We dont care much for being politically / socially correct.
since there's no plan to change her article, I would suggest reading other sources instead.
Instead?
or additionally?
You think the info in the WaiSays article should be forbidden?
How about a parental advisory sticker? (hmm, then the grandparents of the baby should be the advisors, I guess)
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

avalon wrote: Years ago I was given a saying by one of my School Teachers-

"Look many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe".

peace.
wow @ a teacher saying that. in my day ( :wink: you're a lot older than me) it was "do as you're told without question, we know best, you know nuffink, and if you follow your own opinion you're very wicked". charming school i went to. simply larvely.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

My mum fed formula and encouraged every other mother she met to do the same, while simultaneously boycotting Nestle as if it were Satan's Seat On Earth. :roll:

She and every other mother she told to use formula, didn't like breastfeeding because it was painful, it was nothing to do with spoiling your breasts (I've never heard of that idea, I suppose that must be a very real concern for models, but I don't think other women care). It was that breastfeeding was an unpleasant experience.

I gritted my teeth as my mother talked these mothers who had breastfed their other babies, into using formula. They were guiltridden at the prospect, and she talked as if breastfeeding was completely unnecessary and its silly to do it when you can use formula which is so much easier. She'd reassure them there was nothing wrong with it and I wanted to say "It didn't exactly produce an infant that was the epitome of health did it?"

I largely agree with Wai, but it is a bit harsh - there are some women for whom it is impossible to breastfeed and finding willing milk donors isn't easy.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In our view it all comes down to this:
If you CAN choose, you SHOULD choose breastfeeding