Breast Feeding

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

Breast-feeding influences cognitive development in Filipino children.

Daniels MC, Adair LS.

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA. mchris@email.unc.edu

The importance of breast-feeding (BF) for cognitive development has been researched widely over the past several decades. Although scholars agree that children who breast-feed are generally more intelligent, it is uncertain whether this advantage is due to BF effects or to other accompanying healthy characteristics of women who breast-feed. This is a problem in nearly every study, and even in studies controlling for known confounding variables, residual confounding remains a concern. This study tried a new approach, evaluating the relation between BF and cognitive development or ability in a population in which BF was inversely correlated with socioeconomic advantages and other healthy maternal behaviors. Normal birthweight (NBW, n = 1790) and low birthweight (LBW, n = 189) (<2500 g) infants born in 1983-84 in Metropolitan Cebu, Philippines were followed from birth through middle childhood. Cognitive ability was assessed at ages 8.5 and 11.5 y with the Philippines Nonverbal Intelligence Test. Multivariable linear regressions were created to estimate crude and adjusted relations of various BF measures and later cognitive ability. After controlling for confounding variables, scores at 8.5 y were higher for infants breast-fed longer (1.6 points and 9.8 points higher among NBW and LBW infants, respectively, breast-fed for 12 to <18 mo vs. <6 mo). BF coefficients in both NBW and LBW 11.5-y models were attenuated but remained positive. This analysis highlights the importance of long-term BF after initial introduction of complementary foods, particularly in LBW infants born close to term.
Funny mistake in the second sentence. ;)
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Hi, friends. I thought I'd share about my experiences breastfeeding. My partner knew my passion about the subject, and I was to deliver at a hospital that supported breastfeeding as well, so I didn't think there would be a problem.

First of all, we had a birth that wasn't quite what I had planned. I am much weaker than I thought! I wanted all natural, no drugs. I ended up having painful contractions for three days with no sleep and very little progression. I was sure I could have lasted if it was only 24 or even 48 hours or so, but I caved in to morphine to help me relax and sleep a few hours; amazingly the relaxation helped me progress faster and I was finally admitted (I wish I would have hired a doula or midwife!!!). I then had an epidural :(, failed to continue to progress after 6 cm and pitocin for 7 hours, and then went for a c-cection since they said it was impossible to deliver naturally. I was drugged up, and my baby was born drugged up. But he was absolutely beautiful, it was New Year's Day, and I didn't care at the time.

Well, the nurses were great at helping me start breastfeeding. They told me to breastfeed every 2-3 hours for 15-20 min on both sides. They failed to mention, and it didn't cross my vicodin-soaked mind that the baby might be more or less hungry than that and I could breastfeed on demand. Our son failed to pee for 24 hours by his second day, a lactation consultant said he wasn't feeding correctly (it was getting very painful), and a pediatrician suggested we give him some formula since he was dehydrated. I said ok since I thought she meant just ONCE, but she told the nurses to feed him formula AFTER EVERY SINGLE TIME I BREASTFED HIM. For the rest of the time in the hospital, I sat crying each time my partner allowed a nurse to force-feed our son a bottle.

Additional formula (a large supply was provided free of charge from the hospital) was fed to our son for the next month (even though I cried almost every day) because my partner enjoyed it so much (I was easy to convince in the middle of the night), because my nipples were very sore and bleeding, and because we were stuck with the doubts that he wasn't eating enough, even though I had switched to feeding him whenever he was hungry. Formula feeding was much easier and took 1/10 the amount of time (or less). However, I was determined to give him the best, and by the end of the first month, I was able to take over breastfeeding him exclusively. After a month and a half, it stopped hurting (with the help of a breast shield for a couple weeks), and now it's so easy it's silly. Our son has also gained a tremendous amount of weight, and now we're actually worried he's feeding too much.

I'd like to concur with the OP that it's near impossible to put down a child to cry while pumping for half an hour, or doing anything else for half an hour. BUT I don't agree that it's physically impossible to pump for a year and a half (even with a manual pump), and if I were to try, I could pump while my child sits in his front carrier or sling, which is where he spends most of his day anyway. (Which reminds me: I should be filling up the freezer with backup so my partner can start helping again.)

Whew! Anyway, I'd like to reiterate that failure is indeed a learning tool and not the end of the world. No matter how strong or well-informed you might think you are, something might turn that upside-down. We all can continue to learn.

Also, I'm giving birth at home next time, after at least a year on the sample diet!!!
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah. :)
sugarbarbie

Post by sugarbarbie »

johndela1 wrote:why would it be ridiculous to give your child milk from another human?

Do you also think it is ridiculous to give yourself and family milk from another mammal? (cow) I assume from what you have posted that you don't use any dairy products.

It just seems funny to me how people are shocked when it comes to somem things but accept even more shocking things. For example, I asked someone what they would think about a company that sold human milk. They told me it was a disgusting idea, as they finshed their glass of milk.
there's actually an organization that does just that. They women pump the milkan dit's pasteurized and sent to africa for children. I herd about it on oprah and tried to sign up but the link woldn't work for me.
If You Can Paste And Submit, Then You Can Grow 2,346 Downlines In a Year
http://www.opportunityplr.com/?rid=357
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thats fantastic!
I guess thats about famin struck areas?