adding sugar

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:Correct, they are empty calories (in the sense that they dont come with other nutrients), but they are nutrients.
Your brain cannot function a single second if it hasnt sufficient glucose at its disposal.
I doubt that is a problem for hardly anybody and even if it was a problem eating sugar doens't seem like the best solution. If I ran out of sugar (in my body) I'd just eat a piece of fruit over white sugar. Being that this diet is mostly fruit, I don't think we run the risk of running out of glucose for our brain.

I just don't see any need for white sugar in our diet not to mention as a regular part of it.

Can't my body make glucose? I thought in extreme conditions we do it though keotosis.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:No, maybe I am wrong but I thought sucrose was table sugar and the sugar in fruit was fructose.
Table sugar = sucrose = glucose+fructose.
Fruit contains: glucose, fructose, and sucrose.
johndela1 wrote:Can't my body make glucose?
Our bodies can convert almost anything into glucose if needed, but it is less efficient (it costs energy) to do so.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon 08 May 2006 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:
johndela1 wrote:Can't my body make glucose?
Our bodies can convert almost anything into glucose if needed, but it is less efficient (it costs energy) to do so.

but this wouldn't happen to someone on a mainly fruit diet unless they where starving to death, right?
avalon

Post by avalon »

I just don't see any need for white sugar in our diet not to mention as a regular part of it.
Im with you on this one.

When I first started learning about the Wai Diet, the inclusion of table 'sugar' raised a red flag with me. I understand the 'munch' food take on keeping with the Diet, but if one can eat an Orange vs a tablespoon of sugar. I'd choose the orange.

Here's a very nice article about sugar. Nothing dramatic :wink:

http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qasugar.htm
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:but this wouldn't happen to someone on a mainly fruit diet unless they where starving to death, right?
Basically that's right, although if you consume more protein than your body needs at that moment, it will convert the amino acids into glucose, because protein cannot be stored.

I find it quite funny that we're so indoctrinated that table sugar is bad. :)
If you get all the energy you need by eating/drinking, then there is no need for table sugar. But if you can't eat/drink more, and still need more energy, then what do you do?
Last edited by Oscar on Tue 09 May 2006 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
avo

Post by avo »

Can you give an example why/when someone cannot eat/drink enough energy? Obviously if they cannot fufill such a basic bodily need they should reconsider what they do/eat in a day.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It would happen with people who are physically very active, but even so, some members have noticed that their energy intake, by eating alone, wasn't always sufficient. Drinking juice makes it easier to ingest more energy, but the body might need even more than you can drink. This is where adding table sugar comes in handy. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote: I find it quite funny that we're so indoctrinated that table sugar is bad. :)
I don't know about being indoctrinated. I think a food that only offer calories with no vitamins or minerals is useless in my life. The only time I would use sugar is for a treat but not as a requirement for my diet. I think it is a luxury and not something we need. I don't know too many people who actually need 'empty calories'. This might sound clicheish, but I try to eat things that naturally occur. I feel like, if I were dropped down on this plant and there where no other people, I wouldn't have or need sugar. My staple items are things that I believe are things I would find in this conditions. Fruit, meat, fish, eggs, nuts. All raw.
Oscar wrote: If you get all the energy you need by eating/drinking, then there is no need for table sugar. But if you can't eat/drink more, and still need more energy, then what do you do?
Go without for that moment. We can go days without food. Burn body fat or go into a state of keotosis (which I doubt would happen if you have just ate so much you can't possilbe eat any more). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think this state is really a threat to anyone, but if it was you would simply have a calory defecit until you where able to consume more calories.

Can you give me an example of what you are talking about? Maybe, I'm not on the same page mentally as you are and missing some point.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

whoops, I didn't see your post where you did give an example

Maybe you posted it while I was typing. The times are close. I think we are both online at the same time. What timming.

anyhow...

Yea, I think I misunderstood the diet rules. I seemed to think that sugar in juice was a normal part of this diet. I guess it could be if you where a training a lot. I'd still lean toward having something other than sugar but I understand yoru point.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good. :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I don't know about being indoctrinated.
Oh, yes, we are.
We simply come across way too many statments about sugar being bad; health professionals, TV shows, movies, and people that you meet; ask anyone whether sugar is bad. Their answer: "yes".
I think a food that only offer calories with no vitamins or minerals is useless in my life.
Energy is extremely useful.
We need enough of everything and with this diet you easily ingest sufficient of all vitamins and minerals, whereas it may take a little more effort to ingest sufficient energy as well.
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM wrote:Energy is extremely useful.
We need enough of everything and with this diet you easily ingest sufficient of all vitamins and minerals, whereas it may take a little more effort to ingest sufficient energy as well.
One of the reasons 'Sugar' is getting a bad rap, is beacause there is a FAT Epidemic going on. I don't believe this is in question. And Sugar is a big part of it. Maybe not table sugar alone. And I know this isn't sugars fault altogether as there is food addiction, couch potatoes and so on.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... fat17.html

But there are so many more healthy fruits, dried fruits, why settle for table sugar?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:But there are so many more healthy fruits, dried fruits, why settle for table sugar?
There is a big difference between people on a standard diet and people on the Wai diet. For the first, who get too much energy and too little essential nutrients, it does make a difference. But for us Waiians, who get more than enough essential nutrients it doesn't really matter that much. If you need 50mg vit C per day, and you've already consumed 100mg, what does another 20mg do on top of that? Nothing extra.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote: Energy is extremely useful.
To this I'd say have some more whole food, but I'm starting to repeat myself and I'm starting to get stuck in a loop
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:One of the reasons 'Sugar' is getting a bad rap, is beacause there is a FAT Epidemic going on. I don't believe this is in question. And Sugar is a big part of it.
Sugar is not part of it. Fat is not part of it. Protein is not part of it.
Nutrients dont cause obesity. Consuming more energy than required causes obesity.
What causes this?
Overeating.
Sugar doesnt cause overeating (if sugar would cause overeating, I would weigh more than an elephant right now), nor does fat or protein, or any other nutrient. In fact, in the US more "low calorie", "low fat" and "sugar free" foods are sold than in any other country in the world, and yet, the average daily calory intake is highest in the US.

However, there ARE some compounds in our food that do cause overeating...

But there are so many more healthy fruits, dried fruits, why settle for table sugar?
As it may be very practical.
We dont tell you to consume sugar, but it may give you the opportunity to keep on doing this diet, which is a perfectly good reason, in my point of view.
johndela1 wrote:To this I'd say have some more whole food
Sure.
But if you are not allowed to be be eating all the time while working, drinking juices may be an excellent solution.
And if you dont fancy a swollen stomach due to a great intake of fiber, centrifugated / pressed juices again are a perfect solution.
And if you need a lot of extra energy, and dont feel like eating any more food, adding sugar / oil to your juices may effortlessly do the trick.