saturated fat vs olive oil

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

Yo Momma's so fat she got hit by a parked car?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:Oscar wrote:
And there is nothing wrong with questioning!
what do you mean by that?
I mean that it's good to keep questioning things. Questioning is necessary for learning and discovering, for finetuning, etc. It also helps to prevent dogmatic and tunnel-vision views, if coupled with an open mind and common sense. Something which unfortunately isn't usually stimulated. Asking questions yes, but questioning fundamental beliefs is not often tolerated.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Was going to post some quotes from this article, but I think I'll just be lazy and give you the link :wink:

First read:
"Toxicity of Unsaturated Oils"

then read:
"The Benefits of Coconut Oil" (which talks more about unsaturated fat than it does about coconut)

Be good boys and girls and do your homework, then when you come back next time, I want you to write down your opinions on what you've found out.

If you haven't read the texts I'll have to fail you. I expect you all to get A*s and As.

http://www.efn.org/%7Eraypeat/nutri.html
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Oscar wrote: I mean that it's good to keep questioning things. Questioning is necessary for learning and discovering, for finetuning, etc. It also helps to prevent dogmatic and tunnel-vision views, if coupled with an open mind and common sense. Something which unfortunately isn't usually stimulated. Asking questions yes, but questioning fundamental beliefs is not often tolerated.
Very good Oscar, you can have a gold star.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cairidh wrote:First read:
"Toxicity of Unsaturated Oils"
http://www.efn.org/%7Eraypeat/efatox.rtf wrote:Unsaturated oils, especially polyunsaturates, weaken the immune system's function in ways that are similar to the damage caused by radiation, hormone imbalance, cancer
Very unelegantly put.
Please dont confuse the term "unsaturated oils" with "unsaturated fats"; as if polyunsaturated fats should be excluded from our diet as toxins should...
Ultimately, all systems of the body are harmed by an excess of these oils
Ah, there you are...
So, EFA's are not harmful, but excessive EFA's are, in as much as too much of any vitamin is bad.
Consuming natural fatty foods, you will never be able to imbalance your fatty acid intake.
Essential fatty acids (EFA) are, according to the textbooks, linoleic acid and linolenic acid... however, we are able to synthesize our own unsaturated fats when we don't eat the "EFA," so they are not "essential."
For info about EFA's (not) produced by our body:
http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum5/000047.html
http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum5/000083.html
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Interesting! Dang, so much to learn! :D
Fairy Prince

Post by Fairy Prince »

Ah, there you are...
So, EFA's are not harmful, but excessive EFA's are, in as much as too much of any vitamin is bad.
Consuming natural fatty foods, you will never be able to imbalance your fatty acid intake.
I don't think that is the point of that the author was trying to make and I think you could imbalance your fatty acid intake by consuming natural fatty foods. For instance, if you ate a ton of peanuts, or other seeds (even in their whole unprocessed form) in proportion to other fat sources.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Fairy Prince wrote:I don't think that is the point of that the author was trying to make
What is the point he is trying to make then?
I think you could imbalance your fatty acid intake by consuming natural fatty foods. For instance, if you ate a ton of peanuts, or other seeds (even in their whole unprocessed form) in proportion to other fat sources.
Seeds are excluded from this diet as we dont see them as natural food for humans. Consuming raw peanuts in large quantities may make you seriously ill as they contain loads of enzyminhibitors.
Consuming natural foods, its very hard to overeat on one specific food, as the accumulating effect of the ingested low-level of food-specific enzyminhibitors prevents this (you automatically prefer variation).
feral

about polyunsaturated oils

Post by feral »

my oppinion is that the excess intake of polyunsaturates is harmfull.eat much nuts with poly`s(like hazelnuts) and you`ll weaken your imune system.fish is also rich of them.too much fish can also be harmfull also count the high mercury content of them.your body fat is round 40%sat 50%monounsaturated and only 5-10% polyunsaturated.This simple fact can tell that you should eat very little poly`s.most land animals fats are alike. high saturated high monounsaturated and very little polyunsaturated.

see this article http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fats_and_cancer.html
Aytundra

Re: saturated fat vs olive oil

Post by Aytundra »

Old thread, i know.
But what is the current verdict on this debate?
Are raw saturated fats better than raw polyunsaturated fats?
or do we have to limit the amount of fruit oils or oily fish we can consume in a day?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
RRM
Administrator

Re: saturated fat vs olive oil

Post by RRM »

Aytundra wrote:But what is the current verdict on this debate?
Are raw saturated fats better than raw polyunsaturated fats?
They are both fine, but should be in balance.
And also the polunstaurated fats should be in balance (variety in omega 3, and relative to omega 6)