Intermittent Fasting

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by johndela1 »

can the 400 in your liver can be used for blood sugar?

I never thought about some sugar is for muscles other is for blood. Doesn't the sugar go into the blood so it can get into the muscles?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:can the 400 in your liver can be used for blood sugar?

I never thought about some sugar is for muscles other is for blood. Doesn't the sugar go into the blood so it can get into the muscles?
The blood is the means of transport. From the liver glucose can be transported via the blood to wherever it's needed. For instance to the brain and to the heart.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

oh

Do you know how many calories the brain takes on averager per day? I remember reading somewhere that it takes quite a lot to fuel the brain.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I remember something like 150gr glucose, quite a lot.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread
martianwarrior wrote:from The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity by Daniel P. Reid -
fasting triggers a truly wondrous process that reaches right down to every cell and tissue in the body. within 24 hours of curtailing food intake, enzymes stop entering the stomach and travel instead into the intestines and into the bloodstream, where they circulate and gobble up all sorts of waste matter, including dead and damaged cells, unwelcome microbes, metabolic wastes and pollutants.
most of the health and nutrition section of this book just makes me laugh, given what i know now, thanks to the wai diet. but, the above quote made me wonder...

doesn't fruit contain a lot of enzymes and wouldn't drinking juice be an even better way to deliver those enzymes to the bloodstream? does juicing fruit deplete those enzymes from the finished product, just like it eliminates fiber?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

enzymes stop entering the stomach
these are digestive enzymes, different from these:
into the intestines and into the bloodstream, where they circulate and gobble up all sorts of waste matter, including dead and damaged cells, unwelcome microbes, metabolic wastes and pollutants.
Enzymes are produced inside the body,
to do specifically what needs to be done
at a specific place.
doesn't fruit contain a lot of enzymes and wouldn't drinking juice be an even better way to deliver those enzymes to the bloodstream? does juicing fruit deplete those enzymes from the finished product, just like it eliminates fiber?
These again are different enzymes.
enzymes are extremely specific;
they are like keys, and they are only a perfect match to the processes that they need to perform. (the locks)
But, no, juice contains lots of enzymes.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

so, RRM, are you saying is that it's not possible for stomach enzymes to travel into the bloodstream? that makes a lot of sense, but i just want to be clear.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

from the wai book...
Vitamins are co-enzymes; vitamins help enzymes do their job. These enzymes cannot function
without vitamins, and your body cannot live.
this means that the enzymes in your blood and stomach cannot even be productive while fasting. they'd just be sitting around like... ' :roll: c'mon... where's my fuel? let's go! i've got work to do!'

from... http://www.juicing-for-health.com/enzymes.html

enzymes are important..
Our bodies need enzymes to break down the nutrients in our body, so that the nutrients can pass through the intestinal walls and be absorbed into our blood. Without enzymes, the vitamins and minerals that we consume really are just passing through our system being of no use.
vitamins and minerals rely upon enzymes to be processed and utilized.
enzymes rely upon vitamins to be activated.

it's like yin & yang!
Enzymes are specialized protein molecules facilitating most of our body's metabolic processes, like supplying energy, digesting foods, purifying the blood, ridding the body of waste products, etc.

Enzymes assist in keeping our body in top form, help lower the cholesterol level, clean the colon, break down fats, strengthen the immune system, improve the mental capacity, detoxify the body of unwanted wastes, eliminate carbon dioxide from our lungs, building muscles, and many other functions.
all of this really debunks fasting... at least for health reasons. just thought i'd share a chunk of info that i think serves as good evidence against fasting. it just makes no sense.

enzymes are pretty cool... treat them well :D
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote:this means that the enzymes in your blood and stomach cannot even be productive while fasting
Yes, they can, because there are also vitamins and minerals floating around in your blood while fasting. (and some of them are stored as well)
If they couldnt, your body would actually stop functioning.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

oh ok...

so as far as clearing waste matter from the blood stream, are enzymes are less powerful/less active while fasting? i would think they would be more productive with a steady stream of nutrients.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

also, would the enzymes require the body to pull nutrient stores in order for them to keep functioning?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote: so as far as clearing waste matter from the blood stream, are enzymes are less powerful/less active while fasting? i would think they would be more productive with a steady stream of nutrients.
Yes, when there is more energy available, the enzymes will be a bit more active.
However, there is a lot of energy needed for digesting food.
So, taking both the plus and the minus in account,
it will probably not make much difference.
martianwarrior wrote:also, would the enzymes require the body to pull nutrient stores in order for them to keep functioning?
There are sufficient nutrients available in the blood,
but if it would be necessary, then this would happen automatically.
When, for example, the blood glucose is going down a bit,
this will immediately lead to the release of glucose from the liver
(from stored glycogen).
The same goes for stored vitamins (like B12) and minerals (like calcium).