Intermittent Fasting

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Intermittent Fasting

Post by avalon »

I can't tell you how excited I am. And I wont bore you with links about Intermittent Fasting, but I can tell you I'm going to try this this week. Now the main reason is -
Fasting has been repeatedly observed to alleviate neuroses, anxiety and depression.
I can't start tomorrow as I'll need to buy some foods for juicing on my days of fasting. Well, I haven't decided yet if I'll be water fasting or juice fasting or how many days a week...

The days I do eat I'll be darn Wai faithful (give or take some beef)...So I think my plan will be to fast Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. And to clarify this isnt calorie restriction as the calories balance out on the days I do eat.

I'm hoping this will help my depression, even if it ends up just as an experiment. We'll see how it goes. :shock:
avalon

Post by avalon »

I have a question if anyone knows...

How many yolks a day would be required for ample % calcium intake?

This site tells more of IF with posts from people.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/001201.html

So I'm actually thinking I could do a couple yolks on my days off...rather than take a multi-vitamin.

any ideas?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I'm not sure if I'm fulling understanding. Are you considering drinking juice with egg yolks fasting?

check out http://www.warriordiet.com/

This guy recommends eating all your calories in one meal in the evening. It is kind of like daily fasting.

I've read the book. It is interesting but I dont' think I would follow it. It may be of use to you.
avalon

Post by avalon »

This is similsr but different from the Warrior in that the Idea is not to eat every other day. Im learning about this and have read some people a a piece of fruit on the off day, or juice...or take multivitamins like for calcium etc. If I eat a yolk say noon and a yolk in the evening on the off days that should help with vitamins and minerals???

If I am on Wai doing IF does that meake me a Waifer? heh heh.

I'm just vey intrigued if you haven't guessed. I had never heard of IF until today, yet it's benefits are all over the web as studies go.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Avalon,

When I worked in an ashram, some guys fasted once a week as an austerity mesure. They also took one day of silence and avoided mental chatter at the same time: apparently, that saves a lot of energy.

Just so you know, these guys worked very labor intensive construction-type jobs in the ashram, some are pretty muscular. They were also pretty intense yogis. But I don't know the long-term effect of that.

I also heard, before I was on Wai, that one should eat no more food than the quantity of one fist (try to make a fist with your hand, and eat less than that). I'm pretty bad on self-control, always overeating and regretting afterwards.

Wai has helped me with that, but I always have this irrational fear of not having enough to eat later on...
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I don't know what juice you drink habitually. I think you can try to fast just on one type of juice: orange, apple, prune, watermelon... The key is to just drink that one type of juice.

I wouldn't go beyond 3 days without supervision. 3 days is safe, and I've done it before. Maybe adding olive oil and sugar will even be better, in the light of Wai's diet.

Post by Guest »

Thanx Chin-Chin, I'm not sure if I'll be skipping a couple of meals at first, or just try the every other day approach.

I'm wondering, I believe I posted this to General Discussion. I am not opposing Wai at all and the calorie resitrive post is in the General discussion?? Was this moved? And if so why? Maybe I made the mistake?

Can we move this into General discussion? Fasting within the WaiDiet I don't believe is opposing.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think Guest = Avalon? ;)

I moved the topic. Not so much because it's anti-Wai, but because I think IF and Wai are mutually exclusive. The CR topic started off kinda neutral, but gets more and more into CR...I'm still thinking about whether to move that one too or not. I also think CR and Wai are mutually exclusive.

Post by Guest »

I think Guest = Avalon?
Oscar I don't understand what the above quote means?

Post by Guest »

OH! :oops:

ehh...heh heh
avalon

Post by avalon »

Well I never started the fasting. I still believe it has merrit, but I stil have about 8lbs to lose before reaching my set weight...so fasting now seems wrong.
Maybe later :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

From what I have read to get all the benefits of fasting you must not be consuming food. by food I mean anything that gives you energy (calories).

When you do a water only fast, your body doesn't have calories so it must metabolize its own tissue. I don't know if this is true but supposedly your body uses the tissue that is the least important to it. People claim that tumors and things like that are utilized and this rids you off them. You also burn fat.

If you give your body calories then it doesn't need to burn body tissue. You give your digest system a rest, but I don't think you get all the benefits of a true zero calorie fast.

But I don't think it has to be a all or nothing thing.

I don't know if any of this stuff is true. I read it from a recently posted link to:

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyg ... 03ch3.html

If anyone can second this article let me know, it makes sense to me, but I have know way of really knowing.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I agree and then, there is the whole idea of intermittent fasting- that is supposed to be life extending or, balancing.

I think plainly, there is just too much food. And God help me, there is too much food here where I live...not where they need it, where people are starving. Mega-markets- food rotting- avocados going bad on the shelves...devasting if you think of the people who need food.

All that aside, I believe fasting teaches the body in some way to utilize its stores for energy. Or, for cleansing, relaxing etc.
avalon

Post by avalon »

P.S. There never was so much food available.

Can you imagine perhaps the end of civilization from Glutteny?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You will also burn muscles. Fats will be burnt mainly for fatty energy.