One week water fast ... 'Quick fix'?

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Wintran
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Wintran »

andyville wrote:Day 2 (evening)

Holy cow, the last few hours have been terrible - I have absolutely no energy whatsoever. I was just taking a long walk through Stockholm, and I almost couldn't lift my feet towards the end of the walk... In other words - I'm definitely going to have a sallad for supper, and it will taste sooo good. I know two days is not a very long time, and that I'm kind of a loser giving up like this, especially considering the catchy name of this thread, but hey - it's my first fast. :)
Hey, nice to see there are more people from Sweden here. :)

Sounds a bit rough with water fasting though, nothing I would try. I can understand the idea of cleansing the body of toxics, but I personally don't find it appealing enough. There are too many negative side-effects such as nutrient deficiency and an intense period of muscle/fat conversion into energy, which sounds to me like it can mess up ones metabolism because it shocks the body.

Anyway, it's always interesting to read about personal experiments. Thanks for sharing!
Hannes
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

I tried the Master Cleanse for 13 days. I don't agree that all people should go past 10, or even 7 days. I think I was too sensitive and prone to deficiencies. I did feel progressively better for a week, but then I felt worse. I could not exercise, and my body ate my muscles away. It did make me feel more inspired to eat healthy, but then after I started to eat food again, I couldn't control myself. I basically think it was useless for me, except as a learning tool. Any cleansing and detox I achieved disappeared in one week. I was extrememly sensitive afterwards to caffeine and alcohol and severely dehydrated myself by experimenting with these again. I also gained all the weight back and more.

I agree with RRM and Oscar. I also think whole fruits clean out my system much better.

I can see the Master Cleanse's usefulness for someone who is very ill (who is not already deficient in something) or is very overweight and would like a kick-start to feeling better. The drink also tasted very good. I sometimes have it for breakfast.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
avalon

Post by avalon »

wintran:
Sounds a bit rough with water fasting though, nothing I would try. I can understand the idea of cleansing the body of toxics, but I personally don't find it appealing enough. There are too many negative side-effects such as nutrient deficiency and an intense period of muscle/fat conversion into energy, which sounds to me like it can mess up ones metabolism because it shocks the body.

There is a difference between Fasting and Starvation as you put it above.

to quote:
There is a vast difference between fasting and starving. During the absence of food, the body will systematically cleanse itself of everything except vital tissue. It continually readjusts to make minimum demands on reserves. Starvation will occur only when the body is forced to use vital tissue to survive.

http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_book/ ... vation.htm

dadasarah,
There are so many problems with what you wrote, I'm not sure where to begin. I mean this in the nicest way, which doesn't sound so nice, but I meant it nice...
I could not exercise, and my body ate my muscles away.
Truly, you're not supposed to be doing any strenuous excersing. The whole point is to flush your body and give it a rest.
It did make me feel more inspired to eat healthy, but then after I started to eat food again, I couldn't control myself. I basically think it was useless for me, except as a learning tool.
Then, it wasn't completely useless as a learning tool. You think you learned that you can't control yourself, but you can. Self control is the biggest problem of all.
Any cleansing and detox I achieved disappeared in one week. I was extrememly sensitive afterwards to caffeine and alcohol and severely dehydrated myself by experimenting with these again. I also gained all the weight back and more.

I agree with RRM and Oscar. I also think whole fruits clean out my system much better.
DOHHH! Of course you were sensitive to caffeine and alcohol!!!! Why were you experimenting with them again??? Alcohol is poison. I struggle with occasional abuse of this (thankfully did give up coffee completely though) but these items have nothing to do with the benefits of fasting. They have to do with years of programming and human weakness. What is the point of using whole fruits to clean out your system if you continue with the above also? And I do believe fruits are cleansing.
I can see the Master Cleanse's usefulness for someone who is very ill (who is not already deficient in something) or is very overweight and would like a kick-start to feeling better. The drink also tasted very good. I sometimes have it for breakfast.
So there is a usefulness. But also you just wrote that you put more weight back on??

Fasting has been around for thousands of years. Very important people has supported fasting throughout history.

A nice quote from:
http://www.fasting.com/newsletter.html
The average adult American, for instance, now carries 5-to-10 lbs. of toxic chemicals in her or his precious body. Additionally, 100 million Americans are today unnecessarily overweight, primarily because of unskillful nutritional habits. (Plus, at least that many more now think they are too heavy, as indicated by a recent GLAMOUR MAGAZINE survey in which 82% of women at desirable weight believed themselves to be fat, as did 45% of under-weight women. . .due, in no small measure, to the sad acculturation by our media at all levels, especially in our 'women's' magazines.)

As the oldest, fastest, safest (biochemically), least expensive and most effective method of removing unwanted weight and also toxins, scientific juice-fasting helps you stay slim, healthy and vital, while breaking addictions. Further, it will increase physical well-being, mental clarity, and sexual virility. However, its greatest benefit of all results from its capacity to detoxify, rejuvenate and regenerate the physical body, thus allowing the mind to function more efficiently, as well. In Plato's words: "I fast for greater physical and mental efficiency."
Peace,
Avalon
avo

Post by avo »

I feel that fasting is a great transition, give time to think about things, fight cravings and beat addictions to foods/substances, flush out a ton of 'bad things' all at once as opposed to over several months/years.

I used to think that I needed to fast often when on raw, it was what I was led to believe, that all my problems on raw were 'detox' and 'you should fast.' Whole fruits are great, very cleansing. I don't think I'll be fasting anytime soon, I have probably done more harm than good over the years. But I will consider it if I ever really feel that I need to.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Well put Avalon. :D
I feel that fasting is a great transition, give time to think about things, fight cravings and beat addictions to foods/substances, flush out a ton of 'bad things' all at once as opposed to over several months/years.
Very true for me too avo. Very true.
huntress

Post by huntress »

The whole idea is ridiculous
*giggles* :roll:
avalon

Post by avalon »

My ultimate take on just about everything is - Balance.

If I'm reading up on something- really reading article after article and accessing the situation. Pro-Fasting or against. Pro- Raw food or against. Pro pro pro...and all the negatives as well...

Then you kinda, for the moment have to go with the pros when the pros outweigh the cons. If the balance changes, I'm there, and that is change for the better. Adaptation or capitulation :D

If you study the history of Fasting, the pros outweigh the cons by far. The cool thing is it's a voluntary thing, with some pretty hefty informational backing. So it involves free will.

Free will, sigh.

But I never stop questioning. OCD!!!! maybe :D

huntress, you always bring a smile to my face :roll:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:My ultimate take on just about everything is - Balance.

If you study the history of Fasting, the pros outweigh the cons by far.
So you need to be more on the con side, to improve the balance! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Oscar on Fri 09 Jun 2006 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
avalon

Post by avalon »

LOL :lol:

sooo...My ultimate take on just about everything is - Humans are Flawed. Frack 'Balance'! Extremely poor choice of a word!

At what point exactly did the majority of people from the Old World agree to the concept that the world in fact, is round? How long did it take for that truth to take hold? How long did people continue to believe that those Women in Salem Ma. weren't witches at all and should be burned alive? What causes that shift in belief?

Good Morning! :!:
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

avalon wrote:There is a difference between Fasting and Starvation as you put it above.

to quote:
There is a vast difference between fasting and starving. During the absence of food, the body will systematically cleanse itself of everything except vital tissue. It continually readjusts to make minimum demands on reserves. Starvation will occur only when the body is forced to use vital tissue to survive.

http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_book/ ... vation.htm
Ah, but I actually think I was referring to fasting. I did not mean the state when, as they put it: "the body is forced to use vital tissue to survive". I'm referring to the period of absence of food, when the body must convert "excessive" muscle and fat tissue (not from important organs) into energy to run general bodily functions. Starvation is worse as I'm guessing it means that the body has already used up all the excessive muscles and fat storage and will start causing damage to vital internal organs.

I'm sure fasting is not as dangerous as starvation in that sense, but I personally don't think it sounds good to force the body to adapt to such a foodless state in such a short period of time. At least not for me who don't have much muscle and fat tissue to spare. ;)
Hannes
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:...Humans are Flawed
I'm a bit confused here...so you think I'm not human?? ;)

Well put Wintran. I myself wouldn't want to lose any muscle or fat either. I might start to float! ;)
avalon

Post by avalon »

No comment :D

Here is a very good article about Fasting, explaining well the muscle-fat burning process. Ideally, resting during fasting keeps muscle loss to a minimum compared to fat loss for energy. Excersing during a fast will certainly increase muscle loss.

http://www.tanglewoodwellnesscenter.com ... leanse.php

Oh well, this was fun while it fasted :D
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Avalon,

Sorry, I tried to post mine as an experience. Not as a general rule.
Truly, you're not supposed to be doing any strenuous excersing. The whole point is to flush your body and give it a rest.
The literature suggested I could still do light exercise, which didn't work for me. I could barely walk.
Then, it wasn't completely useless as a learning tool. You think you learned that you can't control yourself, but you can. Self control is the biggest problem of all.
I learned I like to listen to my body, not fight it.
DOHHH! Of course you were sensitive to caffeine and alcohol!!!! Why were you experimenting with them again??? Alcohol is poison. I struggle with occasional abuse of this (thankfully did give up coffee completely though) but these items have nothing to do with the benefits of fasting. They have to do with years of programming and human weakness. What is the point of using whole fruits to clean out your system if you continue with the above also? And I do believe fruits are cleansing.
I don't use alcohol and caffeine anymore. That was a while ago. Yes, it was a mistake.
So there is a usefulness. But also you just wrote that you put more weight back on??
Yes, a usefulness. For people other than me. I've heard plenty of testimonies.
Fasting has been around for thousands of years. Very important people has supported fasting throughout history.
Yes! My favorite person, Gandhi, used fasting for some wonderful reasons.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

@ Oscar:
ROFL
Just imagine the headlines: Super human floats on water after intense fast.
:wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

During the absence of food, the body will systematically cleanse itself of everything except vital tissue
The body always systematically cleanse itself.
Depriving yourself of essential nutrients is depriving your organs of reconstruction work that normally continously takes place.
Recovery is slowed down.
Your body will be in a state of decomposition.

Why would you want to create this stress for your body?
Just eliminate the intake of toxins, give your body everything that it needs and you will gradually get healthier.

We like to do 'the ultimate good', trying to overcompensate for doing bad to our body.
Feeling quilty about how you have been treating your body?
There is no 'quick fix'.
Just stop harming your body and you will be doing the 'ultimate good'.
All it requires is consistency.