longest living cultures + optimal diet discussion

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

longest living cultures + optimal diet discussion

Post by johndela1 »

I've been reading about cultures that are healthy and live long lives. Two that I read about were the Hunzas and Okinawans. What they are doing seems to work for health. They eat lots of vegetables and grains.

Part of me things the stuff I read here on waisays.com makes sense and must be right, but another part of me says that what these people are doing actually does work.

Has anyone considered this?

I'm not trying to prevent acne, I am looking for the healthyest diet. I've been reading a lot of no/low carb articles and have been thinking that grains are out. But this seems to contradict, what I'm learning about cultures who really do live long and healthy lives.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Well, you know I'm always thinking about it :D A lot of diets recommend complex carbohydrates...maybe it also depends on allergies as many people have wheat allergies...or just bad kinds of grains...

Here's a good carb bad carb article.
http://www.thirdage.com/news/articles/A ... 08-02.html

If you find out any earth shattering info, let me know :wink:

Is Wai the only Diet other than Fruitarian and Breatharian that leaves out vegetables?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I'm used to think there was one ultimate diet. Now I'm starting to think that 0 carb people are healthy and Hunzas are healthy. I'm starting to believe that as humans we can be heatlhy most anywhere. This means if you have fruit where you live you can eat it but if you live near the poles you can eat animals and be healthy. It seems that there isn't one perfect diet. I want to believe that there is, to simplify things for me.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Very interesting! :D
You are right about the different takes and I'll support your theory of an unltimate diet byt saying...the Ultimate diet is pretty much eating what God/Mother earth/etc. gave us to eat, without processing. Just by eliminating processed foods, you know?
There are raw food supporters and cooked food supporters and veggie and meat suppoerters...and the Evil really is the processing. And I don't mean blending type processing Oscar, I know you're just ready to bring that up heh heh- I mean dead foods. Canned, boxed, cheese fish crackers! kind-O-food.

I want to buy a really good microscope so bad! After learning about white blood cells attacking cooked foods I'd love to do my own tests. It's sooo crazy!
huntress

Post by huntress »

Putting the puzzles together, I have thinking that since we evolve in different parts of the world, we each have different metabolism pertaining to our food intake. I too begin to have my doubts about some contents in this site since they make sense but at the same time something it doesn't always apply to all. The eskimos main diet mainly consist of animal food less/no fruits, they survived. We individually have been naturally designed through natural selection to adapt to our environment.
nick

Post by nick »

If you want to you can increase your amount of animal food and avocados if you like fat or prefer fat.

For some people this helps. Also, with ketogenic diets your body needs some time to adjust to them so that your body is in the fat burning mode.

But it is interesting that other people seem to thrive on different diets but lets not forget all the outcomes and other variables.

RRM told me that there was one person who couldn't stand sugary fruits.
Maybe he had a problem previously before doing the diet that made his body dislike the sugars.

Other than that, anyone can do the diet.
huntress

Post by huntress »

lets not forget all the outcomes and other variables.
for instance?
avalon

Post by avalon »

nick, do you mean as in the eskimos have shorter lifespans kind a thing?

The ketogenic diets are targeted speciffically to start the fat burning process and rather, intentional, so these don't really apply to everyday civilization examples...

Anyone have any ideas about the beyondveg.com site. There's a lot of good stuff to read, but it sure seems at time out to debunk and life-long veg approach...maybe it's true though...

Is it good to have some cooked foods in the diet? Some think so. Kinda like Wai saying Munch-foods help maintain the diet. Maybe a little cooked food helps one stay mainly raw...???

Reminds me of Monty Python... My brain hurts!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think there is a big difference if we talk about the optimal/ultimate diet, or about being able to survive on a specific diet. Also, there are different levels of healthiness between different diets, like a vegetarian diet can be healthier than a SAD, but is less healthy than a SRD.
Last edited by Oscar on Wed 14 Jun 2006 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

avalon wrote: I want to buy a really good microscope so bad! After learning about white blood cells attacking cooked foods I'd love to do my own tests. It's sooo crazy!
I don't think you need a really good one... probably a cheap one would work.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

huntress wrote:Putting the puzzles together, I have thinking that since we evolve in different parts of the world, we each have different metabolism pertaining to our food intake. I too begin to have my doubts about some contents in this site since they make sense but at the same time something it doesn't always apply to all. The eskimos main diet mainly consist of animal food less/no fruits, they survived. We individually have been naturally designed through natural selection to adapt to our environment.
I've read about non-eskimos (white guys) who have gone to live with the eskimos and had great health while there.
huntress

Post by huntress »

I've read about non-eskimos (white guys) who have gone to live with the eskimos and had great health while there.
For how long were they there?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

huntress wrote:
For how long were they there?
I'm not sure. More than a year. They said there health improved, then when they came home they did an expirement where they only ate meat for a year and had good results. you can read about it more here:

http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articleren ... tid=524027
avalon

Post by avalon »

cool article. I was just reading about this- that a ketogenic diet be more fat than protein, and yet, you start burning fat!

Very Fascinating!
huntress

Post by huntress »

Is there any proof out there that a high fruits/high carbohydrate diet yields positive results?