weight loss and juicing

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: weight loss and juicing

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:I got my glucose measuring device today and tested at 108. What is the ideal number range to strive for on the wai diet?
Its individually different.
What you should strive for is a level that you feel very comfortable with, physically.
Too high will make you feel nauseous. Too low will make you feel down.
The right level will make you feel energetic and happy, without feeling jumpy.
When your energy level goes down, you need to replenish your blood sugar level.
So, actually , measuring doesnt help much.
Listening to your body does help very much.
what number is best for weight loss?
Low enough to prevent stroing excess energy but high enough to prevent cravings.
As long as I stick to 1700-1800 kcal i do not gain. I am not losing either.
Thats not the way to go about ti, as this way, you are listening to the numbers instead of your body.
the numbers can never be exactly right for your body.
Christina wrote:ok, so i tried the bad kind of scenario. i went without food for hours while walking, shopping etc. came home hungry and ate 3 bananas, 1 T. honey 4 yolks, 1T. olive oil and half an hour later my blood sugar is 193.
Exactly. With every big meal, your blood sugar level is so high that lots of energy will be styored as bodyfat.
You need to keep it high enough to prevent cravings for big meals.
You need to feel good all the time.
Christina wrote: I went up 1 lb after the overeating day which was over 2500 kcal and the next day i ate 1800 and i'm back down that lb.
The difference between 1800 and 2500 kcal is 700 kcal, which is less than 100 grams of bodyfat.
So, the difference in weight cannot possibly attributed to that.
Please stop counting the calories (they are never exactly right) and start listening to your body.
i know that i would soon be discouraged on a even super healthy diet if i let myself gain weight and felt out of shape!
Thats understandable, but you first need to experiment to find the level that your body feels comfortable with without gaining weight.
Its not found in numbers, as every day you will have a different level of spare energy (glycogen in muscles and liver),
which co-determine how much energy you need that day.
One day your glycogen stores may be filled with 1000 kcal, and the next day they may be empty,
which means that your 'so called allowed kcals' may be off anything in the same range.
Do you understand?
dime

Post by dime »

I was also going to say, measuring your weight day to day will not tell you much, because these weight fluctuations are mostly due to varying amounts of water in your body as well as food in the gut (e.g. 700kcal more is generally more food by weight). Weekly or monthly might be better, but in my opinion simply looking at the mirror will tell you more about your weight and composition than any weighing scale.
RRM wrote:So, actually , measuring doesnt help much.
In the beginning it may be helpful just to get some general idea. Throughout the day my eyes will sometimes get tired and kinda sleepy/burning for 5-10 minutes, and I have no clue if it's because too much energy too soon or the other way around. So with some device like that I could get a better idea of what's going on.
Christina

Post by Christina »

What you should strive for is a level that you feel very comfortable with, physically.
Too high will make you feel nauseous. Too low will make you feel down.
The right level will make you feel energetic and happy, without feeling jumpy.
When your energy level goes down, you need to replenish your blood sugar level.
Thank u for the pointers. I'm learning to understand my body's signals. it's not easy for me. i've got a history of "robot eating" always at mealtimes and always finish your plate attitude. Last time I went on the wai diet, I gained lots of weight. My fault, i wasn't able to read my body's stop signes and breathed right by them. It's my goal to stop counting calories etc. but my trust in my own self listening ability is growing. i'm not 100% ready to let go all my crutches. for now, i'm eating a lot more than i used to. i used to keep myself to 1350 kcal most days and other strict rules. I'm healing and stopped the deprivation, undereating and low quality foods i was taking in, like oatmeal, cooked chicken with vegetables etc. this last year. I need to go at my pace though and not expect too much, too soon.

One day your glycogen stores may be filled with 1000 kcal, and the next day they may be empty,
which means that your 'so called allowed kcals' may be off anything in the same range.
Do you understand?
That makes sense. I 'll try to get away from my idea of what i should eat and tune in to where my body feels good all the time.

too much energy = nauseous, hyper, nervous
too little= feeling down, low energy

the one feeling i'm confused about is feeling tired. when my meal is too big i get nauseous and tired. I though tired goes with low blood sugar levels :?:
I can see that the glucose measuring device isn't that helpful. it's interesting to see repercussions of your eating in those numbers though. instant karma, even when i shut my eyes to how i'm feeling on the inside.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I was also going to say, measuring your weight day to day will not tell you much, because these weight fluctuations are mostly due to varying amounts of water in your body as well as food in the gut (e.g. 700kcal more is generally more food by weight). Weekly or monthly might be better, but in my opinion simply looking at the mirror will tell you more about your weight and composition than any weighing scale.
Dime, I know that's my goal. For now, i'm too paranoid esp. since being back on wai is relatively new and i'm watching like a hawk, if i gain.
my weight is weirdly accurate though. it reflects exactly how much i eat. i never gain an ounce if i eat the same amount.... and every gain was clearly a result of my eating the day before. I am aware though that i don't want to live like this, weighing, measuring for the rest of my life. For now, i'm on training wheels.
In the beginning it may be helpful just to get some general idea. Throughout the day my eyes will sometimes get tired and kinda sleepy/burning for 5-10 minutes, and I have no clue if it's because too much energy too soon or the other way around. So with some device like that I could get a better idea of what's going on.
Yeah, that's what i feel. tired and sleepy and i definitely don't have low blood sugar.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote: Yeah, that's what i feel. tired and sleepy and i definitely don't have low blood sugar.
Huh? You always feel that way?
Christina

Post by Christina »

often, yes.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:i definitely don't have low blood sugar.
Its not static. Its not a condition.
Your blood sugar very much fluctuates throughout the day. You may test it 20 times a day,
all with relatively high blood sugar, and have low sugar in between.
The whole point of having lots of small meals is to prevent both high and low blood sugar.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Maybe I'm tired sometimes right after eating sugar and fat because my body just needs more sleep to heal and is asking for it after it's basic need for food had been met.
It's pretty common to be tired after a big meal. So if i eat 3 bananas and 2 T. olive oil with raisins on top, I can feel drowsy right after and i'm not in need of sugar or fat, obviously. I guess most people will react with hyper energy but that doesn't normally happen to me. I react with sleepy feelings. Maybe i just need rest like i said. and the bananas have sleep inducing components. Maybe it's also the fiber burden on digestion which takes lots of energy and leaves the mind tired??
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:Maybe I'm tired sometimes right after eating sugar and fat because my body just needs more sleep to heal and is asking for it after it's basic need for food had been met.
No, the meal is simply too big.
It puts your body in a mode of digestion and storing energy.
Digestion takes about 30% of your energy.
It's pretty common to be tired after a big meal.
Very much true.
So, you should never eat such big meals.
So if i eat 3 bananas and 2 T. olive oil with raisins on top, I can feel drowsy right after and i'm not in need of sugar or fat, obviously.
Such a meal is way too big, and too much fiber.
You need to split that meal in 3 smaller meals.
Maybe it's also the fiber burden on digestion which takes lots of energy and leaves the mind tired??
Yes, the fiber takes a greater toll on your digestion, which requires a lot of energy (about 30% of your energy requirements!)
It would be best to drink juices instead of whole fruits.
Why dont you buy a juice extractor?
Banana juice is delicious, and you will not be consuming most of the fiber.
Instead of the raisins, you can juice seedless grapes. Saves a lot of fiber.
And banana-grape juice is a nice combination.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I made juice yesterday and felt a lot better again. I'm using a twin gear juicer right now. but i'll buy the one u recommend in a few weeks when i can afford it.
i ran out of tuna and had to eat only egg yolks. i had 7 yolks mixed with honey for protein yesterday- divided into 2 meals. the last one was at 5pm. hours before bed. I didn't sleep well after that!? it seems that tuna is very important for my quality of sleep. whenever i don't eat it, i wake earlier and tired. I don't get it, but i'll buy more tuna today.
Does it effect sleep when u have too much sugar before bed? Could it cause high and then low blood sugar and wake me up at night? My sleep was very disturbed, too and i woke and fell asleep again a few times.
I also have trouble keeping my body temperature/thyroid up. At best, I am at 97.8 but i often drop to 97.3 or so. I haven't had a menstruation in about 5-6 months and when i menstruate my temperature goes up to 98 right before. Do you have any recommendations to raise thyroid levels? Do fluctuating blood sugar levels cause low thyroid?
I probably need to just be patient and not overeat on this diet. But if there is any other tip that could help, then I would want to know.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote: I'm using a twin gear juicer right now. but i'll buy the one u recommend in a few weeks when i can afford it.
I think the twin gear juicer is perfect, no?
Its a masticating juicer, separating juice and pulp?
Does it effect sleep when u have too much sugar before bed? Could it cause high and then low blood sugar and wake me up at night?
Yes, too much sugar will do that.
Its about finding exactly the right amount for you.
Do you have any recommendations to raise thyroid levels?
No nitrate whatsoever, as nitrate inhibits iodide uptake (and may cause low thyroid functioning)
So, no veggies, and preferably no strawberries, cherries and raspberries.
And when you eat / juice apples, they need to be organic (less nitrate).
Seafish (tuna, mackerel etc) is beneficial (relatively high iodide).
Do fluctuating blood sugar levels cause low thyroid?
Maybe indirectly through one of the hormones involved, like insulin or adrenalin.
I will need to research that.
Christina

Post by Christina »

The twin gear juicer is good but it cannot make banana/pear juice. i do run it through with a certain part so it just gets pressed into a mush and then i pour it into a nutmilk bag and squeeze the juice out. it's more work but that way i don't have to buy a new juicer$$$
Very interesting about the nitrates. Grape skin is also high in nitrates. I should not eat them since peeling doesn't work for me ): too much work
And i'm guessing that's why it's esp. important to peel fruit like pears, cucumbers etc.
Carrot juice is probably bad for me in this case!
I wonder if that's why raw butter feels so good for me because i read that it's high in iodine and other thyroid boosting nutrients!
It's tough for me that my body tolerates so few fruits. and others are unacceptable. it makes it harder to figure out what to eat. but i'm guessing that avoiding the problem foods is better for me than eating lots of variety.
Are dates high in nitrates? date water is a good alternative when i don't have time or access to enough juice for a day.
i know seaweed isn't on the wai diet. but if i'm not acne prone, could it be a good source of iodine or is it high in nitrates, too? I could rinse it really well to avoid most of the salt.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hey Christina, Try lowering your fat intake, and I mean this with the upmost respect for this diet,,,Im wai all the way, except after a few years on this diet, I had to remove the olive oil, and reduced my nut and avo intake and eat 3-5 yolks in the evening....i still eat them raw, but I just reduced them....Now I am not tired after eating 3-4 bananas in the morning after a walk...the sugar gets easily distributed to my cells without any large spike in blood sugar..I listen to my body absolutely...if I feel like not eating another bite of banana or any other fruit I stop.My rash on my leg went away after reducing the fat. Even if you eat 6 egg yolks at night..you still are on a reduced fat diet, if you remove the oil, and reduce the nuts and avos to a couple of times a week. This is still Waidiet, but just tweaked in a way that works best for me.
My eyes used to get blood shot from the fat and sugar combined, I was tired, and once I went to the emergency room because I couldnt breathe. Once I lowered my fat intake, it all went away, and now I feel energized by eating fruit. A 198 blood sugar reading is basically diabetic...a diabetic reading if you will...so like RRM says your meals are too big, but in my opinion, you could eat the 3 bananas, but lose the oil and I would be you will feel better.
You probably will lose weight because the fat you eat easily can get stored as bodyfat since its already fat...but carbs, can be stored in a few big places and possibly excreted before it can get stored as bodyfat....RRM is totally right that we dont have to remove anything, just eat smaller meals...but in my experience, you can eat more carbs if you reduce the fat.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hey Christina,,,I just went back and read your post again, and I just feel that 2 tablespoons of Olive oil is just way to much pure fat in your bloodstream in one sitting..The fat is thick and can clog your blood,,making it more difficult for any sugar intake to get distributed to your cells quickly and easily..Thats why you had a high sugar reading, the fat makes the sugar linger longer in the blood..hence a high blood sugar. hence feeling tired, hence weight gain...I can eat 3 bananas in the morning just like you did after a walk without any extra fat, and my reading is like 80-90, and I feel good. Again, still Waidiet, just my opinion on carb fat ratio..
Just like RRM told me once,,fat is scarce in nature, and if we eat enough fruit, we can get most of all our nutrients and calories from it,,,then fish and yolks for the cholesterol and essential fatty acids , B12, Vit D...
Christina

Post by Christina »

Hi Christoph,
thank you for sharing your experience! I will definitely try that plan out and measure my blood sugar to see the difference. i get so excited about testing on myself :D . It's all about the right fit for each individual. And I am trying this diet in different variations, searching for the one for me. None of the ones outlined here, have been a charm for me. It would also be soooo easy to just carry bananas and other fruit with me and eat when slightly hungry.
Do you eat fish at all?
What fruits are your staple?
Do you eat all day or do you have less, larger meals?
Do you eat after you walk for weight loss?