And so it begins

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
Havas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

And so it begins

Post by Havas »

I told my mum, who was pissed off but understanding. Still have to explain the diet to my dad.

I've stopped all antibiotics and topicals. It's up to Wai diet now..

Day 1 down. 29 to go.

Observations: As predicted, I will need to manage my sugar, energy and fats better. I will get onto that. Hopefully the out of balance, won't limit my success?

Also, I've held off the juice until I know that store-bought juice is acceptable or not?
Brazilnuts

Re: And so it begins

Post by Brazilnuts »

Well done.

Does your mum have access to the internet? Perhaps you could show her www.waisays.com and let her read some of the articles so she understands that your new way of eating it actually better than before. You never know, she might decide to try it with you.

And I think you have made decision about holding off on buying ready-prepared orange juice. Wait until at least 2 weeks time before you start experimenting with something like that. I know a lot of people on this diet go on and on about orange juice and olive oil, but you DON'T really need to have it. Small fruits like banana and apples, with a handful of raw nuts, does the trick. If they are very ripe, then you don't even need any extra sugar like sucrose.
Havas

Post by Havas »

Thanks. My family is quite skeptical, I was told "you'll see natural fluctuations of acne intensity and attribute it to the diet. But since you won't do it 100% every time it gets worse, you'll blame the other foods".

(But I will do it 100%, and if it doesn't work. Well then it didn't work. And if I start to clear up, that's going to be way past "natural fluctuations". )

Actually their skepticism is helping me stay strong, as I need to prove them wrong (that it has the chance of working, and that I have the will power to do it). I even had my mum make me my favorite chocolate cake this morning, in an attempt to "bring me back to normal eating". While it looked damn tasty, I had no trouble knocking it back.

Well, I'm off to the store - as I finish off the last of the eggs.

If this diet works, I look forward to introducing store bought orange juice and egg whites (I hate throwing them out, especially when they taste fine). And then experimenting with yogurt. (Yogurt is practically my families religion, so if I can eat that I'll get a bit more acceptance :D)
Havas

Post by Havas »

Day 2 down. 28 to go

I had a few 10 minute lecturers on why I'm going to get sick. And nutritional deficits, and how my hair will fall out etc. But I held my own, they couldn't name anything I was missing out on. Glad they didn't say calcium, lol. Oh well, I held up pretty well (if I can say so) in the debates (even though it required dismissing the entire Wai theory as loony, but stating I still wanted to try the diet for benefits thought unknown and auxiliary methods).

Haha, i still haven't explained that the meat/eggs I eat is raw. That will be fun :/ (Although, since I'm handling my own meals, I hope I won't need to )

On a side note, my skin is very dry. Drier than it's ever been. But it was getting pretty dry before the diet. So it's most likely a continuation of the dryness)

Also I had a bit of a headache (I don't get them often). I was thinking it was from too much / not enough fat. But then discovered it was because I didn't have enough to drink. (After I drank a few glasses of water, it went away). Strange that I wasn't really thirsty before. I'll try keep the water up.
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

Havas wrote:My family is quite sceptical
Wow, I think you need to spend time educating your family about the Wai diet. Start by asking them "What are humans closest to in terms of evolution?" When they say "monkeys" then you ask "And what do monkeys eat in the wild that keep them so agile and energetic?" Hopefully they would reply: "fruits such as figs, plums, berries and grapes. Other foods like nuts, (raw) insects, eggs, birds and rodents"

And if they still can't get the message, then show them this:
Monkey diet is richer in vitamins and minerals than human diet, UC Berkeley anthropologist discovers. "I'm not criticizing our fruits," said Milton. "They are pretty good, but we don't eat enough of them, and you have to remember that they have been bred for sweetness and appearance". The monkey diets also had a better balance of essential fatty acids than do most American diets
You can ask your family to read the full article here: http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases ... -1999.html and contrast it to this article that describes some of what is wrong with the cow-like diet most people consume today.

I don't know about you, but I would love to be as slim, yet fast, agile and energetic as the cute little monkey in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshbHTDS ... re=related (please watch that clip. It's hilarious! :lol: )
Havas wrote:My family is quite sceptical...their scepticism is helping me stay strong, as I need to prove them wrong (that it has the chance of working, and that I have the will power to do it)
That's the spirit! :D
Havas wrote:I even had my mum make me my favorite chocolate cake this morning, in an attempt to "bring me back to normal eating"
That is rather cruel of her. Is she aware just how desperate your acne has made you, that you are prepared to choose death instead of a life with acne? I think you need to sit her down and have a very serious discussion with her, and tell her that your acne has affected you very badly psychologically and that as your mother you expect her to be behind you in your efforts to resolve it via your diet. Tell her that she may not agree with your methods, but she should not flaunt her negative beliefs and she should be more supportive. Heck, make her feel guilty! :twisted: Go the length and compare her efforts to thwart your diet to that of (the late) Elaine G. who developed the SCDiet to help her child, and even Wai who developed the Wai diet to help RRM. Tell her you wish you had the kind of support Elaine G. and Wai gave to their loved ones. Unlike them she does not have to develop a new diet, all she has to do is support your new diet. Which is easier?

Havas wrote:While it looked damn tasty, I had no trouble knocking it back.
Congratulations. However you need to bear in mind that this sort of temptation can trigger a future binging spree of munch foods. It is called delayed response. So whilst you might be able to resist the temptation at that moment, there is a slight chance that you might cave in later on when you continue to think about the tempting food. This is why you need to speak to your mother seriously about your new diet and get her on YOUR side.
Havas wrote:If this diet works...
No, try to replace such negative thoughts with ones like: "WHEN this diet works...." It is not a matter of if, but when. The Wai diet has been proven to work for all sorts of people over and over again. The only people it does not work for are those who don't follow the diet properly. Sadly, there are just some people out there like RRM who have to be on the 100% diet for 100% of the time for it to work, so you need to try to bring your thinking towards the 100% and just HOPE AND PRAY that you are able to tolerate munch foods without breaking out. That is the only thing that should have an 'if' in your mind.
Havas wrote:I look forward to introducing store bought orange juice and egg whites (I hate throwing them out, especially when they taste fine)
You need to quit this fixation on 'tasty' raw egg whites. You can't eat them raw. Wai diet or no Wai diet, raw egg whites are not good for you. In the wild animals were not able to get their hands on as much raw eggs as we do today, so that is why when they did stumble upon them they devoured the entire thing (egg yolk and egg white). That sort of infrequent eating of egg whites will not have adverse side effects, but for someone on the Wai diet with a staple diet of raw eggs, you are asking for trouble pining for them.

I know it seems like a 'waste' to throw the egg whites away, but compare how much half a dozen eggs cost compared to a hamburger and fries. Yet that pack of egg would provide more usable protein for your body than the burger and fries, so in a sense, you are actually saving money.

If it pains you so much to throw the egg whites away, why not keep them in a container and hand it over to your family so they can incorporate it into their normal cooking? For example, they can make lemon meringue with it.
Havas wrote:experimenting with yogurt. (Yogurt is practically my families religion, so if I can eat that I'll get a bit more acceptance :D)
Great, however when that happens, try to follow the SCDiet in the sense that you use home made yogurt instead of the type you buy from shops.

Good luck with your diet and fitness plans.

8)
Havas

Post by Havas »

Thanks for the kind words. Although, I can't take myself seriously while trying to guilt trip them. As I know they're trying to do what they see is best for me. But I will continue the diet, even though there's a (no doubt) absolutely delicious home made pizza as left overs.

But honestly, there's no turning back for me now. I've been 100% strict.

I went for a jog this morning, but I had almost no energy. I'm really going to need to get some more energy. I want to avoid sugar, and I don't have a juicer (but I would have no problem buying one if I was on this diet long term), so I'm thinking of half a cup of olive oil a day. But perhaps that's too much fat and will make me feel ill.

Throughout today, I'll ration out the olive oil and see how I go. Also, I never knew how good avocado's are. They're fantastic.

Progress so far: My skin is very dry, I've used no topicals or moisturizer on it and quit antibiotics. It actually looks less red than before. But then again, it always does in the morning. And it's largely psychosomatic I think. But I'm not expecting any noticeable result for the next week.
Havas

Post by Havas »

3 days down. 27 to go

Not really much to add. I'm feeling low on energy, and about 3kg lighter than when I started. But I'm assuming that will stabilize, as there is approximately 7,000 calories in a kilo of fat. And my body is probably burning around 1,800 a day. So absolute worst case, I've lost a kilo of fat. But I'm going to try increase my calories. I bought some yummy avocados, which seem perfect.

But it's pretty hard keeping the high energy up, when I'm out all day. When people ask why I'm not eating (Anything other than fruit), I just say "I'm on a diet" and they're always like "You don't need to be" and leave it at that. So I don't want to pull out the avocado and cover my fruit with olive oil. Would be weird.

I'm getting massive food cravings at this point. Not the sort of cravings where you feel tempted. But the sort of cravings that make you look longingly at something you know you can't have. So I'm not tempted at all, but "real food" looks amazing.

(Sorry for the constant updates. But I'm doing it more for myself than anything)
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

Havas, it's YOUR diary. Update it as often as you like, as many times a day/week as you like. Eventually when you get the hang of the diet, you might find that you update it infrequently. The good thing about the diary is that people can come and see it and give you tips etc. to help you along your way.

Havas wrote:Thanks for the kind words
You're welcome.
Havas wrote:I went for a jog this morning, but I had almost no energy
It sounds like your glycogen depot were already empty before you even started jogging. Given that you are not eating enough, I am not surprised.
Havas wrote:I'm really going to need to get some more energy. I want to avoid sugar
How about stocking up on a lot of RIPE bananas? The riper the fruit, the more sugar they have, so you could easily get instant sugar that way instead of consuming table sugar.
Havas wrote:I'm thinking of half a cup of olive oil a day. But perhaps that's too much fat and will make me feel ill...my body is probably burning around 1,800 a day.
Half a cup of olive oil is not too much fat for a whole day. According to the nutrient calculator that is 108g of fat and 955 calories. For your age, I think you need about 2900 calories a day (even if you are trying to lose fat).

Havas wrote:I'm...about 3kg lighter than when I started...absolute worst case, I've lost a kilo of fat
Please don't look at it that way. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that you have lost a lot of muscle. Remember what Wai wrote here:
Wai wrote:With this diet, you cannot eat only a few meals a day, but, instead, you need to eat much more often; at least something like 9 meals a day. If you don't, you will under-eat, which always has adverse effects eventually (exhaustion, loss of muscle weight, depression)
Like I mentioned in your other thread, the reason for the muscle loss is that the moment your blood sugar level goes down in between meals your body starts to convert muscle protein into energy. To prevent this, eat little and often like Wai suggested. See also:
When you are losing weight, you will lose a combination of fat and muscle. If you are on a reasonable diet where your daily caloric intake is greater than your BMR, you will lose mostly fat. If you are on a diet where you are eating less than your BMR, you will be losing fat, BUT you will also be losing a higher percentage of muscle as well. On a very severe diet, you may lose 50% fat and 50% muscle weight!
http://jeffthejock.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... scle-loss/

+
When your calories are too low, your body goes into "starvation mode." Your metabolism slows down and your body actually burns muscle tissue to conserve energy. Muscle is metabolically active tissue, requiring a great deal of caloric energy just to maintain it. That's why your body will shed muscle if it thinks you are starving.
http://www.weightlossforall.com/aerobic%20exercise.htm

+

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403803,00.html

+

Michael Phelps consumes 12,000 calories a day during training season and has less than 8% body fat.
Why does he consume so much? According to a top nutritionist
Barbara Lewin wrote:I've worked with more than 1,000 endurance athletes - swimmers and runners - and one of the most common problems they have is glycogen depletion - the result of not getting enough carbohydrates. Nine out of 10 times the reason an athlete doesn't reach their personal best is because they're not getting enough carbohydrates and that's what your muscles need for food.
===================================
Havas wrote:My skin is very dry, I've used no topicals or moisturizer on it and quit antibiotics. It actually looks less red than before
This dryness could be a side effect of quitting antibiotics. And it could be exacerbated/made worse by the kind of water you use to wash your skin. Are you using oil on your skin? If not, that could also be one of the reasons your skin is so dry.
Wai wrote:By nature, the skin produces oil and sebum to prevent dehydration. A dry skin is not caused by a lack of water in the body or skin but due to accelerated dehydration of the outer skin cells, due to a lack of sebum/oil or due too much sunlight or aggressive chemicals (like chloride in tap-water)...if your skin is dry, you need to put on a protective layer of fat that is thin and fluid enough to not clog the pores...put one finger-tip of oil on your face after you have made you face a tiny little bit moist by spraying some low mineral bottle water (like Volvic) on your face with a plant spray (not so much that drops are formed; just that you feel it but don't clearly see it). Only use an oil that is low in vitamin E...If your skin is very fragile/sensitive/dry due to Retin A or accutane etc., please try the walnut oil first, since this one is most gentle and soothing.
Havas, since your skin is very dry and you have just come off antibiotics, I highly recommend that you try using walnut oil as described above. You can find it from ethnic food shops or the speciality isles in supermarkets. The more expensive it is, the more likely it is 100% walnut oil and not mixed with other cheaper oils. Hopefully this regime will help reduce the dryness of your skin.
Havas wrote:I'm getting massive food cravings at this point. Not the sort of cravings where you feel tempted. But the sort of cravings that make you look longingly at something you know you can't have. So I'm not tempted at all, but "real food" looks amazing.
You are probably not getting enough raw protein (in addition to not getting enough calories). Trust me, when you consume enough raw protein, that sort of craving just disappears. Basically, you don't even THINK about food (Wai or non Wai food). Perhaps you should increase your egg yolk consumption? How many egg yolks do you consume? Around what time do you consume them? For me, I find that consuming my egg yolks pretty early in the day (that is before lunch time) helps to overcome cravings the most. I hope you are consuming at least 5 egg yolks a day.

If you want to continue to resist the temptation of cooked food, then you have to eat several times a day. I often forget to eat regularly, often going hours without eating, and that is when severe craving for munch food (or worse, a binge of munch foods) is most likely to occur. To prevent this, I now use a MotivAider gadget to remind myself to eat every two and a half hours. You can buy one from: http://www.habitchange.com/products.php

If you are not able to afford it, let me know and when I get some money I will order one for you as a gift, because I am rooting for you to do this diet PROPERLY. Why? Well, I am still concerned about the way you were willing to chose death instead of life with acne. I am therefore keen for you to cure your acne.
Havas wrote:I'm feeling low on energy, and about 3kg lighter than when I started...But I'm going to try increase my calories. I bought some yummy avocados, which seem perfect.
Havas wrote:it's pretty hard keeping the high energy up, when I'm out all day. When people ask why I'm not eating (Anything other than fruit), I just say "I'm on a diet" and they're always like "You don't need to be" and leave it at that. So I don't want to pull out the avocado and cover my fruit with olive oil. Would be weird.
If this is what you eat in public, then how are you ever going to achieve your other goal of muscle gain? Currently you are not eating enough, and when you do eat in public you are eating the wrong way, as you NEED to consume fats with carbs/fruits. If you are worried what people would think or say when they see you 'pulling out the avocado or olive oil', why not just eat a handful of raw nuts with the fruits instead? That is what I do because nuts are easier to carry around. I always have a small container of Brazilnuts in my bag. If you don't consume the fats with the fruits, you will end up feeling the way you've described over and over again: low in energy and with cravings.

Are you going to let what a bunch of people think about your eating habits prevent you from getting smooth skin and a ripped body like this guy?

Motivation: With a body like that, and great skin, just imagine all the girls swooning over you. You'll find yourself a girlfriend in no time! So toss aside the shame of eating Wai-style in public and go for it! 8)
Havas

Post by Havas »

Thanks Brazilnuts.

4 days down. 26 to go

I was kind of feeling down, as I've had no progress to speak off and realized how much our lives revolve around food. But your post really cheered me up. I really appreciate the kindness.

My cellphone can do that though, so I will use it, sounds like a good idea.

On a plus, I'm getting used to telling everyone that I'm dieting and the usual responses. I think that stage is over. Actually my friends are a lot more supportive than my family (I guess they don't feel comfortable to insult it). Today my mum said "Your magical diet isn't working, you might as well stop". But I just palm it off, and not let it get to me. I know if I do nothing, I won't get any results. So at least I have hope. :D

At the moment I'm craving pie. No small part to the fact there is a delicious one cooling off in the kitchen. But when I had an avocado, it tasted as good as any pie possibly could. Just didn't satisfy a craving. But I think you're right, that it's connected to the amount that I eat.

I really need some high energy foods. But most I can not get (Juice - I don't have the juicer. Impossible to buy unshelled nuts here.). And would rather avoid anything "iffy" so that I (and family) can know 100% whether or not this works.

I'm feeling motivated once again, but getting slightly impatient for results. I'm hoping by friday, I'll see some results that are beyond the scope of the "natural fluctuations of acne".
Havas

Post by Havas »

Progress: Wow. My acne is slightly worse. I guess this could be the pores cleaning themselves, but it sure doesn't help my motivation when trying such a hard diet.

I'm thinking of making an appointment with the derm and telling him that I'm an adult and if I don't walk out with a accutane script in my hand, I'll procure it by my own means. (And I've read extensively about it, so I'm well aware of all possible complications).

I'll keep waiting for progress with this diet. I never expected immediate results, but I guess I expected continual improvement.
Gerard

Progress

Post by Gerard »

It took me many years -- the better part of four years being the most intense period-- to get this diet to work correctly, based on other problems my body was having.

Over a very long period of time, I could feel how this diet was working to make me stronger-- a very elusive feeling when one has been ill-- even though there were many, many reversals.

I had to choose sacrificing my skin condition over sacrificing other parts of my health at times when I simply could not follow this diet based on other medications I was taking.

So-- it is very hard; a very hard climb at times-- but overall I am much, much healthier now. A healthy diet-- the one you really need-- may change over time even within the parameters of the Wai Diet.

I guess I had to get used to paying attention to my health (and not my sickness)-- and it was a revelation that my body could be this sensitive (and this demanding)-- in good health, as much or more so as the cranky and demanding (and exhausting) needs of a sick body. So Wai is not 'convenience' foods-- it takes a lot even when one is eating simple and pure foods-- a lot of time; a lot of attention to the body.

But it is all worth it.
Brazilnuts

Post by Brazilnuts »

Havas wrote:Thanks Brazilnuts...your post really cheered me up. I really appreciate the kindness
I'm glad to hear it.
Havas wrote:Today my mum said "Your magical diet isn't working, you might as well stop"
Havas wrote: I'm feeling motivated once again, but getting slightly impatient for results. I'm hoping by friday, I'll see some results that are beyond the scope of the "natural fluctuations of acne".
I think for someone like you who had severe acne and is just coming off antibiotics the results are not going to be as quickly and dramatic as that described here by Biev.
Biev Day 1

Biev Day 4
Havas wrote:Wow. My acne is slightly worse. I guess this could be the pores cleaning themselves, but it sure doesn't help my motivation when trying such a hard diet.
I hope you can remain patient and positive. It took a long time for your acne to develop to such a severe state. So don't expect it to just disappear within a matter of days.
Havas wrote:I really need some high energy foods
I mentioned ripe bananas previously. What is wrong with trying this out? They are relatively cheap and high in energy. Haven't you seen tennis players snacking on ripe bananas during their tennis breaks?

Havas wrote:I'm thinking of making an appointment with the derm and telling him that I'm an adult and if I don't walk out with a accutane script in my hand, I'll procure it by my own means
How is this keeping in line with the Sample Wai diet?

If this is what you plan to do you might as well just admit you haven't got what it takes to do this diet and quit it now.

Weren't you saying how you are an 'all or nothing' type of person?

You need fierce determination, discipline and patience to succeed in ANYTHING in life. Not just the Wai-diet. How do you think Olympic athletes cope with trials and tribulations? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlNovUCov88

Do the right thing. Hang in there. Give the 100% diet as much time and dedication as you gave antibiotics. Don't bail out within a week. That would make your mum and the rest of your family lose a little bit of respect for you and inadvertently encourage them to really laugh at you the next time you tell them about your plans to follow a strict regime. Don't be the little boy who cried wolf.

Good luck with everything.
Havas

Post by Havas »

Day 5 down, 25 to go

Hi Brazilnuts, thanks for reading. I've started this, and I will finish it. 25 more days to go. Telling my family was the point of no return. :)

When I said I will make a derm appointment, it wouldn't be for a month down the track (I can't get an instant appointment). And if this diet worked, I could easily cancel. I was thinking of it as a "back up plan". That way, if the diet doesn't work - I don't have a month of waiting. Summed up by the cliche "Hope for the best, plan for the worst". After having every single acne medication fail me, and every single colon med fail me -- I guess I'm a pessimst, but I prefer to think of it as realism.

There's quite a few negatives to this diet, but one positive: I feel like I'm in tune with the way my body is supposed to feel hunger. I think before I was confusing hunger with having an empty stomach.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Havas, I see you are getting massive help and support here allready, but I would just like to add a few points, that might help you feel better while on the diet, and maybe even clear your skin better.

1. How do you wash? Do you follow the guidelines of Wai? (no cleansers, no creams/lotions etc.)

I shower in slightly hot water, not steaming, not lukewarm. I use no moisturizer at all, or some extra virgin coconut or almond oil. No soap in my face. This seems to be the best, at least in my case.

2. How often do you eat, and how big is your meals?

I think you should eat at least every second hour throughout the day.
Personally I eat every hour, except when eating animal foods, then I dont eat for 1,5-2 hours. I divide the animal foods into 3 separate meals, that works best for me.

My meals are small. Like 1-2 fruits with lots of fats.

3. Do you make sure that all your foods are really raw?
I eat only fresh fruits, juices that I make myself, some sun-dried fruits, nuts I shell myself, sashimi, eggs and meat, all raw.

4. Do you allways combine fat with sugars? This is KEY! Allways add oil, avocado or eggyolks!

5. Working out. I would stop this during the sample diet period. It is hard enough to manage your energy level when doing nothing much physical. Also, working out causes your hormone levels to skyrocket, which can lead to acne. So, try to clear your skin and then re-introduce working out.

Good luck, and hang in there! Give it a shot! It is not like accutane will be taken off the market any time soon! You can allways do it later, if the diet fails to work, even when done correctly and over time.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good advice already being given, I'd like to add you might want to be a bit careful with storebought juice and make sure it's fresh, not heat treated, and without conservatives/additives/etc. It'd be easier to squeeze it yourself, but I know the problem.