Trying Low fat, vegan in Thailand

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
rischott
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Trying Low fat, vegan in Thailand

Post by rischott »

hello all. So, i would like to share my experiences thus far since arriving in thailand. I haven't posted in some time on the wai forum, but i have mos def been strongly influenced by the wai style and love to come back to read about others experience.

I had been living in hawaii for about 2 years, eating mostly fruits with some fish or raw meat every so often. I tried 'gourmet' raw several times but found it quite hard on my stomach.
Since coming to thailand, i am trying the 8/1/1 vegan. I have the awareness that i need to consume enough calories a day, ecspeically since i bought a road bike and will be cycling quite a bit.
Fruit available are mangosteen, rambutan, longon (low cal), mango, durian, banana (high cal), coconut, sugar cane juice, dragonfruit.

I have been feeling really good mostly. I find eating too much durian can cause too much dehydration. so i drink a lot of fluid in the day, and eat durian earlier enough at night that i can digest and get some fluid in before bed. The precense of durian in my diet and consuming enough carbs all day completely removes all desire for any other type of food.
My cravings are never there unless i haven't eaten for several hours.

The abundance of fruit in Chantahburi is also something to note. I just wish that cities/country land all over the world would grow fruit like here. It would bring us closer to actually having a world diet that could be sustained on fruit.

that is it for now.
aloha,
-rich-
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hey Rich, good to hear/read from you again.

What is 8/1/1?
How do you plan to get your omega-3 fatty acids?
rischott

Post by rischott »

hey oscar. Well, omega 3s are present in fruit in small amounts. so i figure with the absence of oil in my diet my omega 6/3 ratio will be normal.

8/1/1 is the 80% carb/10%protein/10%fat.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Ah I see. Problem is though, that 2 of the omega-3 fatty acids are only available from animal sources (natural or supplementary).
fictor

Post by fictor »

No nuts and no animal foods? Sounds a bit scary to me...

I am planning on going to Thailand in a year or so, and plan on eating local fruits like banana and mango, drink loads of coconutwater (it is soooo delicious!) and eat raw egg yolks (I know, it sounds crazy, but I will start out with a low "dose", and I think my immune system should be familiar with salmonella-bacteria by now, after eating raw eggs, meat, chicken and fish for 1,5 years, both in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Croatia)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I would love to do that. If I ever make it out to Thailand, I'll eat a lot of durian. Durian is really expensive for me to get and I only eat it on occasion.
rischott

Post by rischott »

oscar, what 2 fatty acids are only available from animal sources? and are they truly necessary in our bodies?

John, i am currently in penang malaysia. Much much better durian here. so many varities! i would suggest you try here as well.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If I remember correctly EPA and DHA. Some people can convert some omega 3 fatty acids into others, but it's not that easy. And yes they are essential to us.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

rischott wrote: John, i am currently in penang malaysia. Much much better durian here. so many varities! i would suggest you try here as well.
I'd like to plan a trip. Did you use a travel agent? I'd like to stay at a cheap place (so I can stay more days), but I'd want to make sure it is safe.
rischott

Post by rischott »

i am staying at a guest house for 150 riggit a week. but we are 2 people. 1 man is staying for 105 riggit a week. 3.5 riggit = $1.

thailand was 200-350 baht a night for a hotel. 6-10$.

Really cheap. I paid 15 riggit for all you can eat durian few nights ago. Ate about 2 1/2 kilos flesh. man, i pooped a lot the next day.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

rischott wrote:i am staying at a guest house for 150 riggit a week. but we are 2 people. 1 man is staying for 105 riggit a week. 3.5 riggit = $1.

thailand was 200-350 baht a night for a hotel. 6-10$.

Really cheap. I paid 15 riggit for all you can eat durian few nights ago. Ate about 2 1/2 kilos flesh. man, i pooped a lot the next day.
Wow, that is hard to believe. Apart from the plane ticket, this sounds like it would be a super cheap vacation.