New Here; used to be raw vegan

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:If I do not feel full after eating one piece of fruit, then I eat another.
Your problem is that you are listening to your stomach.
You should not.
You should learn to listen to your energy levels instead.
Only eat something when you feel that you need the energy.
After one piece of fruit you dont need extra energy,
so wait with eating another piece of fruit till you feel you need the energy
(once your level of feeling energetic has gone down)
I add a tablespoon or two to all of my fruit. Should I decrease my consumption of oo?
Yes, when you eat frequently, you need so much oil,
so you can easily decrease the intake of oil.
If you manage to listen to your energy needs,
you often hardly need any oil.
I am not wanting any other fruit besides apples and bananas, and the occasional orange.
no tomatoes? Avocadoes?
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

RRM wrote:
Your problem is that you are listening to your stomach.
You should not.
You should learn to listen to your energy levels instead.
Only eat something when you feel that you need the energy.
I hadn't thought of there being a difference between the two: hunger and energy needs. When I am feeling less energetic or tired, I am usually hungry. But, that makes perfect sense to me now; thank you.

As for oil, I was using it to balance my fruit (sugar) intake, as I thought I was supposed to. Already today I have gone ahead and decreased my oo intake, as I had a feeling I should do just that.
no tomatoes? Avocadoes?
No. Especially not those. Avocados are too watery for my liking, as they are out of season. Tomatoes do not taste right to me either. I mostly eat avocados and tomatoes together in the summertime. I know persimmons are in season, but I just have no taste for those either. And, they are not available in the organic variety where I live anyway.

I have a question about the nutrient calculator: why are there so many missing values for the "lactating women/2nd six mos" category? Should I use the values for the category of females of my height and weight range instead (as though I am an eighteen-year-old woman) instead? What are your thoughts on this?
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:why are there so many missing values for the "lactating women/2nd six mos" category?
The missing values are simply the values that we dont know (yet), per food item (not per age / sex /height /weight) so that there is no about it.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

A little over three months in...

I have had the opportunity to increase the variety of my fruit consumption. There are more ripe fruit types available now. I am eating: bananas, apples, oranges, mangoes, strawberries, pineapple, cherries, avocados, red bell peppers, tomatoes, blackberries, and raspberries. I have decreased my oil consumption down to almost nothing. I understand this is un-Wai, but I felt a strong need to do so, and so I did. I have also felt a strong need to decrease my egg yolk consumption down to 1-2 yolks every day, or every other day. I have given up nuts altogether, as I realized they were making me sick. I have decreased my sugar consumption as well. I feel great, too. I do still supplement myself, with a vegan prenatal multivitamin, because I am breastfeeding. I actually never stopped supplementing while doing this diet. I understand that too much of a vitamin is toxic, but I just do not feel I can run the risk of being vitamin deficient any day in any way. My daughter's optimal health is too important for her mum's diet experiments. I know this post looks almost like something that should go in that "non-Wai 4 keepers" folder, but I thought it more correctly belonged here, in my diary folder.

My diet does look closer to what it was before, raw "veggan," the vegan with the egg in her diet; although, I still enjoy raw salmon on occasion. Again, breastfeeding I cannot risk much exposure to methylmercury. I never was a raw vegan per se, as I believe that diet/lifestyle is too unnatural, and I wanted to make that distinction as this folder's title is somewhat misleading.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

But maybe the too many vitamins can translate into too many vitamins for your baby? I'd think that an egg yolk would make a very good multi-vitamin actually. Plus I imagine your daughter is gonna need a lot of cholesterol and fatty-acids in her early stages.

You could look at wai as an experiment, but you could also look at deviating from the wai diet as an experiment, since a lot of people believe the wai diet is *the* diet for optimal health, and there's a good chance they're right.

If you look at the statistics involving children of modern Western 'non-waiers', you really are taking a chance by including elements of their diets.

To be fair it really would be difficult to figure out statistics for wai children, but I imagine they're all very healthy, since the adults on the diet are all very healthy.
Iris

Post by Iris »

I agree with Mr. PC.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Snowbunny wrote:I have decreased my oil consumption down to almost nothing. I understand this is un-Wai
No, its not un-Wai.
We particularly stress the importance of enough oil in the early stages of the diet.
Once you have become better at listening to your energy needs
and eat frequent enough, you need less oil for 'stabilization' / 'protection'.
So, then its perfectly ok.
decrease my egg yolk consumption down to 1-2 yolks every day, or every other day.
the raw (almost) vegan lifestyle eventually results in deficiencies (especially cholesterol; essential for the brain)...
and there is no cholesterol in supplements...
Why dont you eat tilapia?
, its a freshwater fish.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I appreciate your thoughts on my diet. I am not taking extra supplements--which I used to do until I thought the better of--besides the one multivitamin. I do not want to be too "experimental" in either direction, Wai or semi-veg[g]an. I am actually just listening to what my body/intuition tells me to do. There is a little alarm in my head that warns I may not be getting enough dietary vitamins, and so I take the multivitamin most days. Also, I am just not interested in the fish or eggs right now; I feel 2 yolks is enough for me. I do not like tilapia at all, only salmon and tuna--which has too high methylmercury content to enjoy weekly. I was also dissatisfied with the scent on my skin from the animal produce, and the reduction in intake has decreased the scent a lot, but not entirely to my liking. I am very interested in fruit, especially sweet fruit. I imagine this will change again with time, and when that happens, I am sure I will eat different quantities of each food. Right now, I feel very happy with my diet.

Thank you again for your thoughts.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Have you tried Ama Ebi (sweet raw shrimps) and surf clams? (Spisula solidissima, also known as Hokigai, Hokagai, Hokkigai or Hokkagai)
They are both really delicious.
Im pretty sure you will love them.
You can get them from a supplier that also supplies to sushi restaurants.
They are 100% safe.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Some tuna is high in mercury, but salmon is usually quite low.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I have never heard of Ama Ebi, and have actually been looking for the raw version of shrimp. I love shrimp. Thank you for suggesting it; I will find out where it is available here. I am not a fan of clams... although I suppose I should try them raw. I am a fan of tuna, and most of it is very high in methylmercury, and so I do tend to avoid it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ama Ebi is truly delicious.
Its raw peeled deepwater Greenland prawn (Pandalus Borealis); 7.5 to 8 cm long (including the tail).
The Japanese buy everything thats is caught (in the North-West Atlantic ocean), wholesale,
and its then packaged in Thailand (Thailand/EU No TH 1286)
and then some of that is resold to other countries.
Its packaged per 175 gram (50 pieces), deep frozen (-18 degrees C).
Thats how sushi bars and restaurants get it, and also your local retailer can buy it (i pay 8 euro per 50 pieces).
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

How can it be fresh when it's caught in the Northwest Atlantic and packaged in Thailand?

BTW, I also notice that when I eat fish, I start to smell like fish, but when I eat fruit only, I smell like vanilla (which is much more pleasant), even if I go a while without washing. One time a student told me I smelled like vanilla and tried to eat me :shock:
Kids are insane.

Does anyone else get the fish smell? Could it be from fish that isn't fresh enough?
Iris

Post by Iris »

Mr. PC wrote: One time a student told me I smelled like vanilla and tried to eat me :shock:
Kids are insane.
:shock: Crazy effect you have on people :wink: :lol:
Does anyone else get the fish smell? Could it be from fish that isn't fresh enough?

I really have no idea. I never experienced this.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:How can it be fresh when it's caught in the Northwest Atlantic and packaged in Thailand?
Immediately after it is caught, it is deep frozen.
I didnt say that its fresh, but its totally safe.
Indeed, because then you will ingest and absorb the amines responsible for the smell.