Day 10 on sample diet and have some questions

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
TheRealDeal
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Day 10 on sample diet and have some questions

Post by TheRealDeal »

First of all I'd like to say thank you in advance. It's hard to find "real" answers to truly help people out there live healthier lives and at no cost to them.

This is my first post in this forum and I have to say I'm quite happy that I finally have started this diet (I've known about it and had the book on my computer for well over a year now!). I think it's working though because I've tried to stop using the same OXY benzoyl peroxide face wash I've been using for 5 years many times but would always break out really bad if I did. I usually washed my face 2-3 times a day with that stuff and the worst part was that I knew it was harming my skin but wouldn't stop taking it.

The last time I washed my face with the OXY face wash was on day 1 of the diet and I did not break out at all after! It feels amazing to be able to break away from something I've been attached to for 5 years!

...but I still have some new pimples and some questions and concerns

Here's what I'm eating...

16 fl oz of juice 2-3 times/day:

-pineapple
-apple (organic)
-orange
-strawberries (organic)
-grapes (organic)
-fresh raw egg yolk
occasionally:
-raspberries, cantaloupe, blueberries or cucumber

Salad:

-lettuce
-3 baby carrots (organic)
-4 grape tomatoes (organic)
-3 cucumber slices
-1/4 cup of raisins
-a few strips of avocado (organic)
-chives
-1/3 cup of olive oil
-small amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice

Snacks throughout the day:

-raisins
-brazil nuts (hand shelled)
-bananas (organic)
-any of the fruits listed above but whole rather than juiced

I try to juice 2-3 times/day and have 2-3 snacks throughout the day as well accompanied by brazil nuts or the salad as of lately because the shelling of the brazil nuts is getting quite annoying.

That's what I eat, here are some of my problems and concerns:

What should I do for showers? Won't the steam from the shower be almost the same as putting my face right under the shower head? I've been showering every other day instead of every day and when I do shower I bring low mineral bottled water in the shower and use that to rinse my face instead of the shower water. I use a 100% natural shampoo and body wash with no sodium lauryl sulfate in it on everything but my face.

I was hoping this diet would help with another problem that I have with itchy skin. After every shower I take my skin (mostly arms and chest) itches severely for 30-45 minutes. I figured it was due to high water retention in the skin dehydrating my outer skin. It's almost painful sometimes. There's nothing I have ever been able to do to stop the itching once it starts (except if I start sweating from physical activity immediately after). Should this diet help with that?

I usually play full court basketball 2-3 times during the week for 2 hours at a time but I've stopped since being on this diet because I don't think I'm consuming enough food to give me the energy for it and I don't think I could afford the proper amount (although I'm looking into buying from an organic produce distributor in bulk to help save money). I'd also like to start lifting weights to build muscle mass. How should I change the diet when I want to start doing these things? (mainly the basketball. the weight lifting can wait) I'm 6'2" male 165lbs.

I was wondering if it's possible to juice everything in the morning (48 fl oz) and put it in a big container and add olive oil and egg yolk to the juice as well so it can just be sipped throughout the day? I sometimes only juice twice in a day and I definitely can tell that's not enough for me but I can't see myself having to cut and prepare and juice more fruit so many times per day. It will become exhausting and I can never leave the house practically.

There has got to be a better way to eat these nuts. I like the brazil nuts but man oh man it's quite the process to hand shell them. I have hammers and nut crackers and knives and all sorts of stuff to try and make it easier but it usually just frustrates me when the amount of time to shell them is exponentially greater than the time it takes to eat them. Are there any other nuts I can eat while on the sample diet and/or a place to buy them raw and shelled?

Sorry if this post was a bit lengthy. I figured I'd get all of my questions out of the way right off the bat.

-Neil

P.S. On Thursday I fly home for the holidays and I know I'm going to be very tempted to start eating bad again by just being around my friends and family for 3 weeks. Any tips for not falling off the wagon (or is it on the wagon? haha)

P.P.S. I'm from Rochester, NY... home of "The Garbage Plate"
I usually eat mine with mac salad, homefries, two cheeseburgers, dill pickles and loads of ketchup and mayo. Come on, how can you say no to this...
"I'll have a blackhead, 3 huge zits and a side of back-ne please!"
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I would stop eating lettuce and carrots in the salad, if I were you. They are vegetables and don't belong on the sample diet. You don't need them anyway Also, I would make sure your raisins are unsulphered, too.

As far a juicing, you can make a large 48 oz batch and add olive oil to sip throughout the day (that is what many people do here), but yolks you will have to take separately as they won't do well in the container all day long. So, you can pour a separate serving of your juice, and add yolk to it, and then drink it right away. Save the main batch for sipping throughout the rest of the day.
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

I would stop eating lettuce and carrots in the salad, if I were you. They are vegetables and don't belong on the sample diet.
wow I completely misread the sample diet. I assumed "salad" meant that it had lettuce in it! oops. I will definitely stop eating the lettuce. I may keep the carrots in though cause it's not that much (2-3 baby organic carrots) and it helps with taste.
Also, I would make sure your raisins are unsulphered, too.
They are Sun Maid raisins. They "say"... "nothing but grapes and sunshine"

is this not true maybe?

thanks for the reply
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

As far a juicing, you can make a large 48 oz batch and add olive oil to sip throughout the day
How much oo in relation to juice should I add?

The taste of the olive oil kind of bothers me. Can I use another oil if I can?
Iris

Post by Iris »

snowbunny wrote:As far a juicing, you can make a large 48 oz batch and add olive oil to sip throughout the day (that is what many people do here), but yolks you will have to take separately as they won't do well in the container all day long. So, you can pour a separate serving of your juice, and add yolk to it, and then drink it right away. Save the main batch for sipping throughout the rest of the day.
Actually, it is totally fine to mix the yolks in the juice, and then drink it throughout the day. You just have to make sure as little oxygen as possible comes in contact with it (to minimize oxidation of the cholesterol). So put it in a bottle which you don't have to open to drink the juice, those things that re often used for sportdrinks. I don't know what they are called, but I'm sure you know what I mean (since you're a basketball player :wink: )
See also this topic about juice with egg yolks: viewtopic.php?t=1823&highlight=yolks+juice

You'd have to experiment about how much OO needs to be in the juice. For guidelines/examples, you can try using the search engine. I always put a few teaspoons in every 250 ml. But you may need more... or less.

Sure you can use another oil. A good alternative is Extra Virgine Walnut oil. Tastes delicious in juice (I think :) ) Please don't use oil from anything you wouldn't/can't eat at it's own. So no sunflower oil, grapeseed oil etc. Coconut oil is only liquid above 25 degrees Celsius, so no use for mixing with juice.
Another possibility is trying another brand/type of OO. This can make all the difference. I don't like the taste of OO either, never have. But the brand and kind I now use tastes pretty good. I can drink my juice without disgust :wink: I'd advise you to read labels carefully, or ask a shop-assistant for extremely mild, non bitter tasting, drinkable (!!!) OO. They are scarce, but these OO do exist :wink:
Iris

Re: Day 10 on sample diet and have some questions

Post by Iris »

TheRealDeal wrote:This is my first post in this forum
I forgot to say welcome :)
and I have to say I'm quite happy that I finally have started this diet (I've known about it and had the book on my computer for well over a year now!).
I was in the same situation. From thinking I could never pull it off, and postponing, to finally beginning. It's important to be ready for it.
I was hoping this diet would help with another problem that I have with itchy skin. After every shower I take my skin (mostly arms and chest) itches severely for 30-45 minutes. I figured it was due to high water retention in the skin dehydrating my outer skin. It's almost painful sometimes. There's nothing I have ever been able to do to stop the itching once it starts (except if I start sweating from physical activity immediately after). Should this diet help with that?
I don't know for sure, ofcourse. But is may be your skin is very dehydrated.
This could cause the itching, and is very common for people on a "normal" diet. If this is the cause, yes this diet will change that. It stops water retention, and thus dehydration of the outer skin.
I usually play full court basketball 2-3 times during the week for 2 hours at a time but I've stopped since being on this diet because I don't think I'm consuming enough food to give me the energy for it and I don't think I could afford the proper amount (although I'm looking into buying from an organic produce distributor in bulk to help save money). I'd also like to start lifting weights to build muscle mass. How should I change the diet when I want to start doing these things? (mainly the basketball. the weight lifting can wait) I'm 6'2" male 165lbs.
Feeling weak is caused by lack of calories, indeed. So you really should find a way to eat more (consume more energy). Do I understand right that you're buying all organic foods? If so, please put quantity first. It is more important to meet your energy requirements then buying everything organic. Most pesticides are in the peel anyway, so you don't have to worry about that (since we peel everything on this diet). Also, make sure to buy foods high in calories. So by example bananas, avocado's (!!! very good for an energy boost, I think. And it gives the salad a lovely taste. Make sure to buy the dark ones, with dark purple/green almost black peel. Those are high in fat, as opposed to the green ones. The taste of the first is way better too, due to the higher fat level). Also good to know: you don't HAVE to eat the salad. The energy density of it is very low, so in order to keep costs at a minimum and still meet your energy requirements, your money may be better spent on dried fruits, fatty foods, or fruit very high in sugars (thus very sweet fruits like bananas)
Another thing you could do is put white sugar in your juice (or over your salad, some people seem to like that too :lol:) What is said to be very good is yolks with sugar (make sure to be physically inactive a few hours after eating this)
Advise on the weight lifting and what to eat, is best given by "our" men ;). All I can say for now is it is very important to eat lots and lots of yolks and fish at that point after training, and (drink) a lot of fruit(juice) before and during, to prevent the body from breaking down muscle tissue to get energy.
There has got to be a better way to eat these nuts. I like the brazil nuts but man oh man it's quite the process to hand shell them. I have hammers and nut crackers and knives and all sorts of stuff to try and make it easier but it usually just frustrates me when the amount of time to shell them is exponentially greater than the time it takes to eat them. Are there any other nuts I can eat while on the sample diet and/or a place to buy them raw and shelled?
I don't know better ways to open those brazil nuts, as I never had them (we can't get them in Europe), but sure you can eat other nuts. Macadamia nuts are second best (but very expensive and also with a very hard shell. Not that hard you can't open it with a hammer though) and Walnuts are good too. The last are very easy to find, I think, and far less expensive.
Pre-shelled nuts are never really raw unfortunately.
Sorry if this post was a bit lengthy. I figured I'd get all of my questions out of the way right off the bat.
No need to apologize, really :)
P.S. On Thursday I fly home for the holidays and I know I'm going to be very tempted to start eating bad again by just being around my friends and family for 3 weeks. Any tips for not falling off the wagon (or is it on the wagon? haha)
Keep in mind what your goal is, and focus on that. Try to prepare yourself (if that is an issue) for what your familie will say about your strange eating habitts. They will probably try to convince you to eat the same they do. And they'll tell you your not being social.... Thinking about these things on forehand may help in dealing with this.
Also: try to minimize stress levels. When stress rises, you'll reach a point where you give up, and eat bad foods again to release the stress. The body has to get rid of it. So try to find a way to keep stress levels low. Focus on different things, listen to your favorite music (music is thought to give the same satisfaction food gives, scientists think. Isn't that amazing!), walk (!!! This is a perfect way to release stress!) or jog, or play some basketball.... What do you do (besides eating ofcourse) to release stress....?
If you do fall OFF (ghehe) the wagon, don't beat yourself up for it (which will cause tress levels to rise again too!). Don't loose hope, and simply start over again when holidays are over. It is not the end of the world, it will just take you longer for your goals to be met. So you really just have to choose, eat bad stuff, and enjoying it (but take the bad skin and feeling for granted) or resist, and feel better already when you return (achieving your goal earlier). Both options are fine :wink:
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

Thank you so much for the help Iris!!
Do I understand right that you're buying all organic foods? If so, please put quantity first. It is more important to meet your energy requirements then buying everything organic. Most pesticides are in the peel anyway, so you don't have to worry about that (since we peel everything on this diet).
Not everything I'm buying is organic (most harmful stuff like apples and strawberries). Also if the price difference isn't too ridiculous (like with bananas) I'll buy organic. I've done a lot of studying on organic foods verse non organic foods in the past and one of the biggest things for me is not only the pesticides that are sprayed on but the genetic modifying of the foods. Sometimes they just change the DNA to grow the pesticides and chemicals "naturally", a process called DNA splicing (which is still a highly unpredictable process today). Plus, on average, organic fruits have 25% more nutrients than non-organic foods so you get more bang for your buck still. I've also read that the pesticides are not only on the skin but because the skin of fruits, like apples and strawberries, is very porous (like our skin) the pesticides are on the insides as well. Not to mention buying organic is good for the environment because it reduces "genetic pollution." :D
your money may be better spent on dried fruits, fatty foods, or fruit very high in sugars
I have a hard time knowing if certain fruits are sun dried or not. I know in the book Wai says to make sure the fruits are dried because of the Maillard Reaction in fruits that are dried by heat.
Focus on different things, listen to your favorite music (music is thought to give the same satisfaction food gives, scientists think. Isn't that amazing!), walk (!!! This is a perfect way to release stress!) or jog, or play some basketball.... What do you do (besides eating ofcourse) to release stress....?
I am actually a musician myself and spend most of my time either working on my own music or listening to my favorite artists. I play golf when it's warm (it's rainy and cold in LA right now) or I basically play any sport or game thats placed in front of me with friends. I like to read Kurt Vonnegut before I go to bed at night. Also, any episode of Arrested Development is sure to make me laugh and put me in a good mood (I recommend this show to everyone on earth. go to hulu.com and watch the first 3 episodes) I am so looking forward to walking my dog again when I'm home for a few weeks! (even though it's freezing and snowy back home).

Also is there any juice out there I can buy that I don't have to juice myself? As I said earlier I'd like to cut as much time out of preparing my food as possible.
Iris

Post by Iris »

TheRealDeal wrote:Thank you so much for the help Iris!!
My pleasure :)
Not everything I'm buying is organic (most harmful stuff like apples and strawberries). Also if the price difference isn't too ridiculous (like with bananas) I'll buy organic. I've done a lot of studying on organic foods verse non organic foods in the past and one of the biggest things for me is not only the pesticides that are sprayed on but the genetic modifying of the foods. Sometimes they just change the DNA to grow the pesticides and chemicals "naturally", a process called DNA splicing (which is still a highly unpredictable process today). Plus, on average, organic fruits have 25% more nutrients than non-organic foods so you get more bang for your buck still. I've also read that the pesticides are not only on the skin but because the skin of fruits, like apples and strawberries, is very porous (like our skin) the pesticides are on the insides as well. Not to mention buying organic is good for the environment because it reduces "genetic pollution." :D
You're right, ofcourse. But still, meeting energy requirements is more important if you have to choose. Things like apples you can buy "safely" non-organic. It's still WAY better then a normal, cooked food diet. And unless you eat enough you won't succeed I'm affraid, which thus is far worse.
I have a hard time knowing if certain fruits are sun dried or not. I know in the book Wai says to make sure the fruits are dried because of the Maillard Reaction in fruits that are dried by heat.
It IS very hard to tell from the outside... the bag should say so, I think. Now this is a product you might better buy organic ;)
I am actually a musician myself and spend most of my time either working on my own music or listening to my favorite artists. I play golf when it's warm (it's rainy and cold in LA right now) or I basically play any sport or game thats placed in front of me with friends. I like to read Kurt Vonnegut before I go to bed at night. Also, any episode of Arrested Development is sure to make me laugh and put me in a good mood (I recommend this show to everyone on earth. go to hulu.com and watch the first 3 episodes) I am so looking forward to walking my dog again when I'm home for a few weeks! (even though it's freezing and snowy back home).
Wow, a musician, huh!? Cool 8) I'm a music junky, sort of speak, haha. What kind of music do you play?
And you like walking your dog too... I like you already :mrgreen:
Seems to me you know lots of things to do when stress kicks in :)
Ohyeah, I forgot to mention earlier it is extremely important to eat enough in order to resist this temptation too!
Also is there any juice out there I can buy that I don't have to juice myself? As I said earlier I'd like to cut as much time out of preparing my food as possible.
I'm afraid not, since you do have acne. What you could do, is juice the fruit for a couple of days at one time. You make a bottle for that day, and put the rest in the fridge, in a closed bottle/can. It should stay fresh that way. But you have to experiment with this too, because some juice goes rancid faster then others. So, for instance, apple juice will last for a very long time, but strawberry juice won't....

Good luck! And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Sun Maid raisins are not unsulphered; most raisins in the stores are not unsulphered; unsulphered is actually hard to locate. I would stop with the raisins. Just eat grapes.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the yolks in the juice, as they can easily become oxidized, as Iris says. But, you are not supposed to be active until at least an hour and a half after consuming yolks anyway. Save yolks for later, I think. But, of course, it's up to you.

The "salad" they mention is tomato and cucumber with olive oil. I was eating it more in the summertime. My baby daughter likes it too, pureed, minus the oil, of course. You can also juice tomato-cucumber, which is very refreshing.

I don't care for olive oil too much myself. I usually mix in a tablespoon of raw honey with my olive oil to help with the taste. I need the extra energy anyway as I'm a nursing mother. You could also add sugar, as Iris suggests. I use raw coconut oil, too. It's sort of a pain, because coconut oil is a solid at 75 degrees F. So, I have to gently melt it in some warm water, and eat it before it goes back to it's solid form. But it tastes far better than olive oil does.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

(it's rainy and cold in LA right now)
Are you in Los Angeles proper, or just somewhere the L.A. area? I'm here, too. And, I miss the summer season so much. Rain sucks after about five minutes of it.

I forgot to tell you about buying store juice: it's pasteurized, which means heat treatment, which means not raw anymore (dirty protein). Just stick to juicing your own; juice keeps for 24 hours refrigerated in a sealed container. And, glass containers are best, by the way.

Hope this helps you, too.
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

Things like apples you can buy "safely" non-organic
How would I go about doing that?
What kind of music do you play?
Alternative/Rock/Pop... similar style to Coldplay or Keane
Ohyeah, I forgot to mention earlier it is extremely important to eat enough in order to resist this temptation too!
Very good point! Sounds simple enough
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

Also, I wouldn't bother with the yolks in the juice, as they can easily become oxidized, as Iris says.
Can I have 3 egg yolks all at once every night instead of throughout the day?
juice keeps for 24 hours refrigerated in a sealed container.
I can only make enough juice for one day?? It'd be nice to be able to make a batch for 2-3 days. Which fruit juices keep their freshness the longest?
And, glass containers are best, by the way.
what about polycarbonate water bottles made by nalgene?
Are you in Los Angeles proper, or just somewhere the L.A. area? I'm here, too. And, I miss the summer season so much. Rain sucks after about five minutes of it.
I'm in Hollywood and yes I'm not enjoying the rain either although I can't complain when I come from snowy upstate ny. but in ny I atleast have HEAT in my house. Here I do not so I've been quite cold at night!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

In the beginning it takes some time to get everything organized, but later when you're used to it, it'll go pretty quick. I'd make juice for 1 day in advance, in the morning or the evening before, and store it in the fridge.
It's best to consume egg yolks relatively fast, so storing them with the juice isn't such a good idea.
Glass bottles are indeed best, but for convenience sake I use bottles made by Camelbak.
Yes you can.

It can take some experimenting to find an olive oil which you like (or don't dislike ;)).

The thicker and tougher the skin/peel of a fruit, the less harmful it is to buy non-organic. Of course organic is always the healthiest choice.

Maybe the new Acne Sample Diet article is a bit more clear: http://www.waiworld.com/waicure/acnesamplediet.html
TheRealDeal

Post by TheRealDeal »

Maybe the new Acne Sample Diet article is a bit more clear: http://www.waiworld.com/waicure/acnesamplediet.html
yes this was definitely much more clear than what is in the book. thank you
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I like to eat all my yolks at once; it's convenient to eat yolks before you go to sleep as you're supposed to remain inactive after having consumed them. Some say yolks help them sleep better, too.
I can only make enough juice for one day?? It'd be nice to be able to make a batch for 2-3 days. Which fruit juices keep their freshness the longest?

Yes, because the juice is fresh, and you're not adding preservatives or pasteurizing, so 24 hours is about how long it lasts. The fruit type has no bearing on its freshness as juice. So, make whatever you prefer... apple, orange, cucumber... But, like Oscar says, it helps to prepare things the night before. Juice at night while enjoying your yolks, and then peel and slice stuff for the next day's consumption.
what about polycarbonate water bottles made by nalgene?
...I have no idea. I prefer glass; I think it's best. I save all my glass jars that other food came in before and reuse them for baby food, juices, sugar, etc. I have some 16 oz kombucha bottles from my raw vegetarian days, and they are perfect for my juice. Two of them last me all day.
I'm in Hollywood and yes I'm not enjoying the rain either although I can't complain when I come from snowy upstate ny. but in ny I atleast have HEAT in my house. Here I do not so I've been quite cold at night!
I keep my heater on low (74F) to save on power bills, so I have to use about 10 afghans to stay warm at night. I’m east of you, in the Inland Empire.

Whereabouts in NY? My family (but not I) are from Buffalo. I am born and raised in So Cal. I cannot imagine freezing temperatures, snow, tire chains... I still think temperatures in the 60s and 50s are really uncomfortable!