Aliali's thread (protein intake, munch foods)

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
aliali
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Homeopathy or Potato/Rice

Post by aliali »

Hi Wai, I'm new in forum: after 7 years of acne, I've given a try to your diet! I've been on the strict diet for 2 weeks (cheating only on the soap, but now I use pure rosewater) and after that my skin was CLEAR (just a bit dry).

At the end on the two weeks I started eating boiled/baked potatoes or rice every day (plus oj with sugar&oil, avocado/cucumber/tomato salad, raw fresh tuna or egg yolks, loads of carrots, strawberries and bananas). But I also started taking homeopahic remedies (acne/skin balance and hormone balance).

In ten days time, my skin was worse than before! terrible... now I've given up with remedies and potatoes/rice and started my diet again.... see what happens!

But what do those remedies really contain to make me break out so strongly? Can they really be the cause? Or ten days eating potatoes or rice every day can have such a strong effect on my skin?

Thank you in advance (you're great!)
RRM
Administrator

Re: Homeopathy or Potato/Rice

Post by RRM »

Hi Aliali,
Welcome!
aliali wrote:...
At the end on the two weeks I started eating boiled/baked potatoes or rice every day (plus oj ....
what do those remedies really contain to make me break out so strongly? Can they really be the cause? Or ten days eating potatoes or rice every day can have such a strong effect on my skin?
Its probably not those remedies.
What the diet does, is strongly reducing excess water in your true skin,
which eliminates the pinching off of the sebum canals.
Once you are on the diet, the skin contains far less hydrophylic substances that retain the water.
If you then ingest these substances again (from cooked foods etc),
the difference they make is much bigger than they would on a normal diet (with the higher levels).

So, once your skin is clear, you can start experimenting,
but you need to do it carefully, so you have time to evaluate the effect on your skin,
without breaking out too much.
So, when you start experimenting, do it very carefully.
Its better to start way too much careful than a little too little careful.
aliali

Post by aliali »

once i'll be clear (in a few days, i guess), i will start experimenting again: i'd like to try again with potatoes, but... could you tell me:

- the ideal daily quantity of potatoes to add to my daily diet;
- how to cook them (boiled, baked...);
- and most important, how many days without breaking out should i wait before considering potatoes ok for me. (i'm asking because the first time i tried to add potatoes to my diet, i've been ok for about one week... just one or two small pimples, but ok... then i added 5% protein biscuits and homeopathic remedies and I broke out... i cut biscuits, but nothing changed... so i finally decided to cut potatoes and remedies and start again the diet)

thank you again!!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Does it feel absolutely necessary for you to add potatoes back to your diet? You could also try to stay on the diet and see how that works out for you. :)
aliali

Post by aliali »

Hi Oscar! staying on the diet cleared me! so it works perfectly and i Know that! but it's also very hard (i lost weight, for example), so i feel i need to experiment... and potatoes are probably the least risky food to add.

uhm... can I add a question to the ones above? (sorry for all these questions, but i only want to know i'm making things right...). Today i was calculating the values of my daily intake during the strict diet:

[The colums are: proteins (grams), kcal, fats and carbohydrates]

5 egg yolks: 10 - 250 - 20 - 3
1 avocado: 2 - 217 - 20 - 11
1 cup oil: 0 - 1900 - 216 - 0
1 cucumber: 1 - 25 - 0 - 5
1 tomato: 1 - 22 - 0 - 5
3 cups oj: 5 - 300 - 0 - 75
3 bananas: 3 - 300 - 1 - 75
300g carrots: 3 - 120 - 1 - 8
1 cup strawberr: 1 - 46 - 0 - 10

Here are the totals: 26g of proteins, 3180 kcal, 258g of fats and 192g of carbohydrates. Values should fit in (tell me if i'm wrong), my only concern is: proteins.

I know this diet has to be low in protein, but is 26g per day really enough? everywhere i read, 50 is indicated as the minimum daily intake.

Would be eating egg yolks and raw tuna in the same day (not same meal) ok? Even if doing so, daily proteins would reach roughly 40-50g.... in other threads Wai said that 15g proteins is the maximum: did that mean 15g plus all the proteins taken in with the diet?

I know that it's a lot of stuff and questions... so take your time to answer =)

Cheers
gracie

Post by gracie »

Hi aliali,
I'm not Oscar, but I'll try to answer some questions anyway :)
- the ideal daily quantity of potatoes to add to my daily diet;
- how to cook them (boiled, baked...);
Whichever potato variety has the least protein/is easiest to digest, though I doubt there is any real variation on this (a potato = a potato).
I read on the old board that cooking time + degree of heat can make a (small) difference in the amount dirty protein...so steaming/baking is probably better than frying, for example. The less browning, the better.
how many days without breaking out should i wait before considering potatoes ok for me.
When experimenting, first clear your skin by going strict. Then eat some potato one day, wait three days; if things look good, eat potato again, wait three days; then eventually, if still clear, add it every day. Just take it slow and be patient with yourself. :)
sorry for all these questions,
The people on this board are awesome about this, no need to apologize! Ask away!
but is 26g per day really enough?
Hmm, I'm stumped. 2 egg yolk should be giving you 50 g, and you're eating five.
Someone else?
Would be eating egg yolks and raw tuna in the same day (not same meal) ok?
Yes, as long as you follow the rule of no fiber 1 hour before protein/3 hours after rule, so space it out accordingly. And a lot of people here eat their fish and yolks in one meal, so that's no problem.
in other threads Wai said that 15g proteins is the maximum: did that mean 15g plus all the proteins taken in with the diet?
The 15 g is the limit for dirty protein, not clean protein (fruit protein has no limit; and the limit of clean animal protein depends on what your skin can take). So just make sure you don't eat more than 15 g of potatoes, and you're fine!

Hope that helps.
Iris

Post by Iris »

aliali wrote:Hi Oscar! staying on the diet cleared me! so it works perfectly and i Know that! but it's also very hard (i lost weight, for example), so i feel i need to experiment... and potatoes are probably the least risky food to add.
You don't have to loose weight on this diet, just consume more calories :wink: No need to eat potatoes at all, unless you WANT to eat them, offcours. When you eat/drink enough (so when your energy level is up constantly), this diet is not that hard, and you won't loose weight.

Looking at your energy intake, what kind of activity level do you have? And what's your height/weight?
Loosing weight could also just be the loss of water, because when starting this diet, you'll loose some pounds. But that's nothing to worry about, as that will stop when your body doesn't retain water anymore and you're at your set point weight.
I know this diet has to be low in protein, but is 26g per day really enough? everywhere i read, 50 is indicated as the minimum daily intake.
Yes, it should be enough, for now. It's low, though. So when your skin totally cleared up, you can begin experimenting with how much your skin can cope. When you eat more yolks, that's also another way to consume more energy, if you'd need that.
Would be eating egg yolks and raw tuna in the same day (not same meal) ok? Even if doing so, daily proteins would reach roughly 40-50g.... in other threads Wai said that 15g proteins is the maximum: did that mean 15g plus all the proteins taken in with the diet?
No problem at all to eat them in the same day. The 15 gr protein maximum is (like gracie said) indeed about dirty protein, so only relevant when you'd decide to eat munch foods. That is the amount that is absolutely safe to eat, but of course this amount is individually different.
Last edited by Iris on Tue 06 Apr 2010 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Iris

Post by Iris »

but is 26g per day really enough?
Hmm, I'm stumped. 2 egg yolk should be giving you 50 g, and you're eating five.
Someone else?
No, 2 yolks actually give you 5.56 gr protein ;)
So just make sure you don't eat more than 15 g of potatoes, and you're fine!
Actually, the protein contents of cooked potatoes is about 2 gr/100 gr. So, regarding protein, you can safely eat up to 750 gr of potatoes without breaking out :lol: Of course this changes when you'd add gravy or sauce.
aliali

Post by aliali »

Thanks to both of you for your replies... My diet is low in the following values: Protein, (26 instead of 50g), Phosphorus and Zinc... Suggestions? With 8 yolks and 2 avocado (instead of 5 yolks and 1 avocado) per day, I'd be almost fine in every value... Would I sik breaking out doing so? And increasing yolks and avocados, should I increase other foods as well to balance blood sugar levels? And if yes, what foods (tomatoes, cucumber, oj.....)?

Thank you
aliali

Post by aliali »

I've forgot to answer your question, Iris... I'm 1,86m/70kg and I'm quite active (gym a couple of days every week - no run)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

aliali wrote:potatoes are probably the least risky food to add.
True, if you dont add salt.
Salt is a culprit.
how many days without breaking out should i wait before considering potatoes ok for me
2 weeks.
Its a low risk food, so if you break out from it, it will not happen soon;
that will take a while.
Today i was calculating the values of my daily intake during the strict diet:
Your fat:sugar ratio is a bit high, which will probably make you feel not so energetic.
Maybe you could replace half the oil by fruits?
everywhere i read, 50 is indicated as the minimum daily intake.
Protein is a general term.
Some proteins have no nutritional value at all, whereas others are very good.
Thats why we also calculate methionine / cysteine, which are the most precise indicators for fulfillment of protein requirements.
Your intake is
536 mg methionine
332 mg cysteine, which is 434 on average.
60 kg women minimally need 288 mg on average.
Recommended amount is 780 mg, so you are safe.
Would be eating egg yolks and raw tuna in the same day (not same meal) ok?
Yes.
Same meal is ok too.
My diet is low in the following values: Protein, (26 instead of 50g), Phosphorus and Zinc... Suggestions?
Your protein intake (taking essential amino acids into account) is 50% above the level of minimally required (56% of recommended levels), which is safe.
Phosphorus is 72% of recommended, which is a safe level.
Zinc is 47% of recommended, but zinc recommendations have been going up, and up.
Zinc is one of those metals of which the body can adjust the intake level very well.
When your diet is relatively low in zinc, the uptake ratio goes up accordingly.
More importantly, the recommendation levels are "very safe" levels, with a normal diet in mind.
And a normal diet contains grains containing phytic acid,
which specifically inhibits the uptake of zinc.
So, there is no reason to worry.
If you still worry, then increase your egg yolk or tuna intake.
aliali wrote:I've forgot to answer your question, Iris... I'm 1,86m/70kg and I'm quite active (gym a couple of days every week - no run)
Oops. That means you need 17% protein extra (compared to 60 kg),
which is 337 mg methionine / cysteine.
Your 434 mg is still (29%) above the minimum.
(48% of recommended)
But indeed, with your level of activity and physique,
you can up your egg yolk / tuna intake safely.
That, btw, should be your first goal of experimentation:
"how much can i increase my raw egg yolk / fish intake without breaking out?"
Munch food experiments should come after that...
aliali

Post by aliali »

ok, that's what i'll do: - oil, + fruits and wait til my skin is clear. after that, 8 yolks per day, or 4 plus raw tuna or salmon, for a week and see the results.

very last question: as long as eggs come from hens vaccinated against salmonella and fish is fresh and hasn't been frozen, NO RISKS from eating all this raw food every day?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The confusion about the amount of protein stems from the difference between the amount of protein a certain food contains, and the weight of the food in question. For example the 2 egg yolks mentioned weigh about 50gr, but contain 5.5gr of protein.

If your body is used to the salmonella in eggs and bacteria in fish, there is no problem at all to eat raw food every day.

Your carb : fat ratio should be more like 4 : 1 or more.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

aliali wrote:as long as eggs come from hens vaccinated against salmonella
You cannot vaccinate against salmonella.
Its not a virus.
If the eggs contain salmonella, and are not fresh anymore, there will be a build up anyway.
The good news is that your body gets trained to fight this bacteria;
the more often you eat eggs containing traces of salmonella,
the better your body can cope with it.
If you would then accidentally eat bad eggs, infested with salmonella,
the maximum that can happen to you is that you will have to go to the bathroom for complete bowel emptying.
But even that is easily prevented, as bad eggs have poor egg yolk cohesion,
meaning that the egg yolk of a bad egg will fall apart before you can drain it.
As long as the egg yolk remains intact in the palm of your hand,
it certainly does not contain too much salmonella.
and fish is fresh and hasn't been frozen, NO RISKS from eating all this raw food every day?
Yes, the fish should not smell fishy.
Its okay if it has been frozen, if you know it was of good quality prior to freezing.
The more raw animal food you eat, the better your defense is trained to cope with it.
aliali

Post by aliali »

speaking about vaccination against salmonella, this is what I meant:

http://www.lioneggfarms.co.uk/informati ... n-quality/

anyway, thank you all... I will let you know how it goes!