As my journey unfolds

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
CSIV
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

As my journey unfolds

Post by CSIV »

Hello Everyone!

I've been silently browsing this website and forum for a good while now, and I figure it is time to make some posts. This will be my first post here.

There are several reasons I want to do this diet. My health has been rather poor in the past; I've had many sinus infections and colds, and have been put on many drugs to treat them... as well as drugs to "manage" my asthma and allergies. I have some amount of acne. It's not horrible, but certainly not desirable, and can get quite painful at times. It has gotten a lot worse over the past year, and I want to put a stop to its progression, if any. I have also been very depressed over the past couple years, peaking around this April-June. I ended up in the psych. ward twice this year :roll: and they attempted to diagnose me with something other than depression, but could never make an accurate diagnosis. They suggested personality disorders, bi-polar etc. but never made a diagnosis other than depression, so I'll stick with depression. I was offered anti-depressants, but I have obtained a very high anxiety towards medicine, particularly side effects, due to the trouble it has caused me before. It's as if I'm certain any drugs will negatively affect me as they have before. I also have a few other chronic pains I am dealing with and believe this diet will help those either directly or indirectly :D

Anyway, this diet has been on my mind for some time, but I have just started experimenting with it this month as things have finally calmed down (no more psych ward thank god) and I have my own place. So far I have had much trouble due to not being organized (buying too little fruits, not juicing at night so I can have it the next day, definitely not eating enough etc.) so I have broken down and had cooked meals when the hunger became too much... usually fast food or pizza unfortunately. From the spans of days that I have been able to do the diet either 100% or close to it, I have noticed my allergies and asthma greatly decreased... almost gone entirely when I did it for about 4 days. I no longer take medication for these either, as their effects are lessened when I am off the drugs. The depression also seemed to affect me less these days, and overall I felt better. I am now very dedicated to keeping organized in order to do this diet properly and really hope to begin this new lifestyle as soon and in as much as possible.

I do not plan to start of 100% strict. I know I have an addictive personality, and my addiction to cooked food is clear to me and pretty strong. I will look for excuses everywhere to eat any cooked food, so if I allow some initially, the process should be made much easier for me. What I have planned to eat as "munch foods" are popcorn, self prepared and popped on the stove with a little olive oil and sugar; baked potatoes, as suggested in other topics; and rarely, French fries. I'd like to know peoples' opinions on the popcorn as a munch food. I think it is good for me because it is relatively little substance in a big package and takes a while to consume, thus satisfying me for a good time.

As far as the diet foods go, I will have a glass of water with bananas and maybe some coconut oil first thing in the morning. Then 2L orange juice that I juice the night before with olive oil and honey to meet my energy needs. I plan to walk or hike in the mornings and drink the juice during these. When I finish the juice, I will eat mostly fruit that are in season, maybe some hand shelled nuts when they become available around Christmas time, and a couple avocados in a salad at some point until about an hour before bed. I will spend time juicing the orange juice in the evening and will usually get a little more than 2 L, so I will mix some of the excess with the 5 egg yolks I eat an hour before bed. Eventually, I will experiment with eating more yolks and mixing yolks and raw fish, but it sounds like I should stick to 5 for 2 weeks until my acne clears up first... during which time I will also have to cut the munch foods. I would prefer not to eat much sugar, hence the honey in the juice, but I did get a bag in case of an energy crisis ;) If I am feeling very low on energy, is it OK to have just a spoonful of sugar?

I thank you for your time and all the effort everyone has put into this website and forum, hopefully we can get to know each other well 8) I will keep updating this as I discover what version of this diet best fits me. For now, I must go juice 2 L of OJ so I can have a breakfast!

Regards.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: As my journey unfolds

Post by Oscar »

Welcome :)

It looks as if you've thought things out pretty well. :)
I have to 'warn' you not to expect your acne to be gone after two weeks, especially when you're still eating munch foods. This isn't a problem of course, just so you know.
Also, two weeks isn't that long for not being 100%, so if you can be 100% by then great but if not, don't despair.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Back with another post!

I dissapeared for a while because something happened to my neighbor's wireless connection I was 'borrowing' ;) But now that I'm enrolled in school again, I can use the net here as it's part of my tuition.

Anyway, here's an update on my wai diet journey:

I ended up eating guacamole and corn totilla chips as my only munch foods for a while to satisfy my addiction and then eat other foods that are allowed on the diet. I have noticed a change in the acne I've been getting. I haven't had any of the big painful ones since I cut out everything but chips and guac, but my amount of smaller pimples increased quite a bit (my guess is that I was eating way to much salt and too little water... my lips felt very dry). I have since stopped eating guac and have just been eating avacado on my chips with a decreasing chip:avacado ratio. I am hoping to cut out chips entirely soon.

Right now I feel like I am getting too little energy, so I will have to make some adjustments to my diet, but today I have eaten:

2 avacados (with a few chips)
a little over 2L OJ with an unmeasured amount of OO
2 bananas

I am about to head home and think I might eat another avacado with some OO on it, then grapes and finally the eggs.

My problem is I'm too active of a person... So I will have to increase my energy intake quite a bit. I will prbably add some honey to my OJ tomorow and eat more fruits and fat with the fruits.

I haven't tried any fish yet, but I'm looking around some to find a good place to buy it at.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If you're very active you might have to substitute some avocado with more sugarous fruits. Don't forget to use the nutrient calculator if you need to check the amount of kcal per day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

CSIV wrote: My problem is I'm too active of a person... So I will have to increase my energy intake quite a bit.
Thats not a problem.
Im also very active physically. Its just about taking in enough energy.
I will prbably add some honey to my OJ tomorow and eat more fruits and fat with the fruits.
Somehow its hard to consume enough honey,
whereas its easy to ingest enough sugar.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

I seem to be doing better today. I've eaten an extra banana, and added less oil to my juice and that definately feels better while drinking the juice... I must have been adding too much oil before as it would make my stomach feel a little off when I was drinking it. I've cut the chips down so much that I think I'm ready to go chipless tomorow... We'll see how my addiction deals with that ;)
I'll have to play around with the honey vs sugar in my OJ. RRM, does the honey just not dissolve as well as sugar or is it something to do with the body not wanting so much honey?

Instead of substituting some avacado (I plan to eat 2 a day), does simply adding more sugary fruits/juice throughout the day sound good? I really like the avacados, and my body seems to really like them as well... at least right now.

At any rate, I'll keep experimenting to find what works best for me and keep posted... this is all still pretty new to me.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sure, experiment away. :)
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

On Sunday I decided that I would try to go on the sample diet 100% so no more munch food for me (hopefully). This is my 5th day on the sample diet, and so far I'm going strong... though everything cooked smells so good and tempting!

Here are some differences I've noticed so far:
My skin and hair (which is longer than some girls') have gotten SOOO soft, it's really amazing... even though I'm a guy and thus should not be concerned with such things... but girls seem to like soft skin and hair on guys, so that's a plus ;). I'm also not so sore the next day after I exercize vigorously (skateboarding, etc.) as long as I am taking in enough energy. It used to be my legs would be pretty sore the day after I skated hard, but lately they have been only moderately sore. I have also been falling asleep much more quickly, and having really memorable and weird dreams more regularly that I, personally, enjoy. I've been eating the eggs about an hour before sleep, could the protein in them be a part of these dreams? I also think I had a cold or something that started about Saturday. I had some of the usual signs that I get when sick, but I didn't really feel all that bad (usually I feel absolutely horrible when I get sick) and apear to be recovering now.
The only negative experiences I have had from this diet so far would be the recent and current increase in acne(small and rapidly coming to head then going away) which is a common stage when starting this diet according to other threads I've read here. Hopefully that's what I'm experiencing. And fruit flies! lol. I can't keep fruit outside, unfortunately, since I live in an apartment on the second floor with no balcony, so I end up keeping it all inside and the fruit flies like it. I don't keep any open fruit around though and quickly remove peels from my apartment when I am done with them, so that there are not too many flies around, but even just a couple bug me (and anyone I invite over might go ewwww lol)

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good overall and we shall see what happens with my acne over the next few days.
I thank everyone for their work in exploring and discovering this diet... I feel better than I have in a while :D
I'll try to post what I've eaten on another day since it's early now and I've only eaten a few bananas.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Thanks for sharing :)
All of your observations are recognizable. Glad to hear it's going so well. Yeah, you'll have to fight those cravings, but I'll only get better :)
Keep us posted!
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Over a week now and I havent given in to any munch food! I am very happy with myself :D
I'm sure I haven't been eating enough most days and am planning to get a scale soon so I can make sure I am not losing weight and keep increasing my energy intake until I start gaining weight.

My skin feels and looks really nice, but I still am forming some either new or previously dormant pimples (smaller ones) Still none of the bigger painful ones which I'm really happy about. I do appear to be getting more clear though.

Here is a copy of what I have eaten and (plan to eat later) for today: I excluded OO and Honey which I have has some of each, but no Idea how much

RDA: FDA Men, 19-24yr (177cm/70in, 72kg/160lb)

Your selection:
[Item 1] 1units of Apple (Malus sylvestris), no skin, [1],
[Item 2] 3units of Banana (Musa X paradisiaca), [1],
[Item 3] 2units of Avocado (Persea americana), California, [1],
[Item 4] 5units of Chicken egg yolk (Gallus domesticus), raw, [2],
[Item 5] 2000ml (milliliters) of Orange juice (Citrus sinensis), fresh, not pasteurized, [1][2],
[Item 6] 1.5cups of Grape (Vitis vinifera), european varieties, eg Thompson, [1][2].

Weight:.................................3243.82g

Nutrients...............................Quantity..............RDA

Energy..................................2415.97kcal .....2900.00kcal
Carbohydrate.............................386.14g ..............?g no data:4
Fat.......................................94.11g ..............?g
Protein...................................40.73g ..........58.00g
Water...................................2704.85ml .............?ml
Fiber.....................................35.66g ..............?g no data:4

Vitamins
Vitamin A, RE (Retinol Equivalent)......1415.24mcg ......1000.00mcg
-Beta-carotene...........................793.90mcg ............?mcg no data:1,2,3
Vitamin B1, Thiamin........................2.92mg ..........1.50mg
Vitamin B2, Riboflavin.....................1.88mg ..........1.70mg
Vitamin B3, Niacin/Nicotinamide...........17.81mg .........19.00mg
Vitamin B5, Pantothenic acid..............11.46mg .............?mg
Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine.....................4.21mg ..........2.00mg
Vitamin B8, Biotin........................47.59mcg ............?mcg no data:1,2,3,5
Vitamin B9, Folic acid..................1065.86mcg .......200.00mcg
Vitamin B12................................1.66mcg .........2.00mcg
Vitamin C, Ascorbic acid................1137.00mg .........60.00mg
Vitamin D................................185.25IU ........400.00IU no data:6
Vitamin E.................................13.97mg .........10.00mg
Vitamin K.................................46.21mcg ........70.00mcg no data:1,2,3,5

Minerals and trace elements
Calcium, Ca..............................437.23mg .......1200.00mg
Iron, Fe..................................16.05mg .........10.00mg
Magnesium, Mg............................506.25mg ........350.00mg
Phosphorus, P...........................1101.76mg .......1200.00mg
Sodium, Na...............................113.11mg .............?mg
Potassium, K............................8484.31mg .............?mg
Zinc, Zn...................................6.39mg .........15.00mg
Iodide, I.................................32.31mcg .......150.00mcg no data:1,2,3
Selenium, Se..............................22.20mcg ........70.00mcg no data:3

Total sugar................................0.00g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6
Glucose...................................65.36g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4
Fructose..................................76.45g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4
Sucrose...................................91.02g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4
Lactose....................................0.00g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6
Starch.....................................0.00g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6

Fats
Fat, saturated............................10.57g ..............?g no data:4
Fat, monounsaturated......................39.82g ..............?g no data:4
Fat, polyunsaturated.......................8.73g ..............?g no data:4

Omega-3 fatty acids
18:3 n-3, linolenic acid (LNA).............1.03g ..............?g
20:5 n-3, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)......0.00g ..............?g no data:4
22:5 n-3, docosapentaenoic acid (DPA)......0.04g ..............?g
22:6 n-3, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).......0.14g ..............?g

Cholesterol.............................1045.80mg .............?mg
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Gratz! Keep at it. :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Good; give it some time.
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Hey all! I've been away from the forum for a while do to limited time on the internet.

Anyway, I had some questions concerning my current diet and situation.
I'm finding it rather difficult to do this diet while being 100% Wai and meeting my caloric needs due to budget issues. Oranges (and produce in general, just oranges make up most of my current diet) seem to be quite expensive compared to what I've read about others' expenses. I live kind of in the middle of the US (right where the Rocky Mountains end to the east) so I'm not close at all to any ocean. I don't think there are any produce warehouses in my city, which makes the nearest one at least an hour away and I haven't been able to "strike a deal" with any stores, though I do get a slightly lower price per pound from buying cases. I assume these factors make produce prices here higher than other places.
If any US Citizens/Residents read this, I'd be interested in what city you are from and roughly how much produce is, specifically oranges and avacados but the more info the merrier :D

For now, I think I'm going to have to break 100% Wai, but I'd like to stay as near as possible to 100%. Mostly I'm wondering what juices would be best to consume store-bought regarding nutrients and acidity. Orange juice seems way too acidic (and kind of gross to drink much of) from the store.
Also, if I need to, would it be better to eat rice instead of rice noodles or would there be little to no difference?

I truly apreciate feedback :D
Thanks

P.S. I had some sashimi for the first time over the weekend and it was deliscious! I think I ate too much, though but only got a few pimples which may not have even been from the sashimi.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

What about apples or pears? And would (grass-fed) meat be cheaper than fish?
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Apples and pears are probably less expensive right now, since they are still in season. I only have a citrus (press) juicer, though, so I'd have to eat them whole. Would store-bought apple, pear, or white grape juice be ok acid-wise? I'll look into it some next time I'm at the store. I'm sure it would be better if not from concentrate as well...

I'll have to look into the meat thing. I don't imagine it would be much cheaper, if any, for safe meat.

Eh, I'll keep looking into stuff and trying different things out... who knows, maybe my music will get famous soon and I can eat at any expense :P