My diet

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: My diet

Post by RRM »

If your cholesterol doesnt decrease, would you consider taking cholesterol lowering drugs?
dime

Post by dime »

Most likely not, at the moment I'm not convinced the high level is necessarily a bad thing.
But it feels kinda safer when I know it's slowly going down.
fred

Post by fred »

I think your high cholesterol is caused by your high fat intake. 200g is quite a lot, unless you are extremely active.
I had high cholesterol a few years ago on a high fat diet. It went normal after lowering my fat intake.
dime

Post by dime »

Yes it could be; I function better with more fat than more carbs though. If I lower fat I have to increase carbs by twice as much, e.g. if I eat 50g less fat I have to compensate with 100g extra carbs.
Those LDL/HDL are not cholesterols but actually carriers of cholesterol and fat, so more fat may mean that more of them is needed.
But there are many people who live on even more fat and less carbs (ketogenic diets) and they often have normal levels.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Are you worried about your cholesterol levels, or not?
fred

Post by fred »

dime wrote:Yes it could be; I function better with more fat than more carbs though. If I lower fat I have to increase carbs by twice as much, e.g. if I eat 50g less fat I have to compensate with 100g extra carbs.
Those LDL/HDL are not cholesterols but actually carriers of cholesterol and fat, so more fat may mean that more of them is needed.
But there are many people who live on even more fat and less carbs (ketogenic diets) and they often have normal levels.
An important part of your caloric intake is empty calorie (oil/honey) and that can be the cause of your high cholesterol.
If you want to keep a high fat intake, maybe try to increase high fat food like avocado and nuts if you can handle the fibers...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote: An important part of your caloric intake is empty calorie (oil/honey) and that can be the cause of your high cholesterol.
Please explain.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:
fred wrote: An important part of your caloric intake is empty calorie (oil/honey) and that can be the cause of your high cholesterol.
Please explain.
Too much dietary fat is a cause of dyslipidemia. It is easier to overeat oil than to overeat high fat food like nut, avocado, seed, etc.

In addition, real food contain many micro nutrients that nourish us (and allow a proper absorption), whereas olive oil for instance is 100% pure fat, zero micronutrients. It is clearly not a food and I am not surprised that cholesterol goes high with a lot of olive oil! I had the same issue.
dime

Post by dime »

Fred, my cholesterol went up before I started 100% wai diet. Since I started it and included the olive oil, it has gone down as shown by my results.
I'm getting enough micronutrients in my diet so I consider it fine to eat "empty calories" in addition.

You're making a lot of unsubstantiated claims, I'd suggest you to think first ("is what I want to say really correct, proven, does it make sense?") and then say it.
For example: "It is clearly not a food and I am not surprised that cholesterol goes high with a lot of olive oil!"
Let's even agree that it's not a food to make it simpler, but how can you conclude then that that's why the cholesterol goes up?
In your logic I could say "stones are not food, so eating them will cause cholesterol to go up". Making conclusions like you do just doesn't work.
fred

Post by fred »

Just lower your fat intake, especially from empty calorie like olive oil, and you'll see your cholesterol go down. If that is what you want.
Did you have a lower fat diet when you cholesterol was even higher ?
dime

Post by dime »

Nope, it was actually without any "empty calorie" foods. Mostly rice and slow cooked fatty meat, and raw egg yolks.
fred

Post by fred »

dime wrote:Nope, it was actually without any "empty calorie" foods. Mostly rice and slow cooked fatty meat, and raw egg yolks.
"Mostly rice and slow cooked fatty meat, and raw egg yolks" make a high fat diet. And a high fat diet is a cause of dyslipidemia for many.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Dyslipidemia is an abnormal amount of lipids (cholesterol/fat) in the blood.
If Dime's high cholesterol would be due to excessive fat intake, this would be mediated by elevated serum triglycerides, right?
What makes you think his serum fatty acids are too high?
Dime wrote:triglycerides is 60 (upper bound is 150)
fred

Post by fred »

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art ... ekey=33979 : "Dyslipidemia: A disorder of lipoprotein metabolism, including lipoprotein overproduction or deficiency. Dyslipidemias may be manifested by elevation of the total cholesterol, the "bad" low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and the triglyceride concentrations, and a decrease in the "good" high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentration in the blood. "
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Lipids, yes.
So, how does Dime's high fat intake lead to elevated cholesterol?