Wai baby 2

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
Mia
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Wai baby 2

Post by Mia »

RRM, what else does your baby eat besides one yolk and breastmilk? I have a daugher born in july 2011 and I started to give her raw egg yolk when she was 4 month old. Before that she only ate breastmilk. Now she is almost 9 month and she eats 1-2 yolks/day (she really loves them, but i dont know if its ok. to give her any more than 2/day) I also give her fruit (banana, mango, melon berries and some orange juice). I still breastfeed her during the night and in the morning. I feel that everyone around me think I am a little crazy for not giving her "real" food. This makes me very insecure and because of this I also let her eat a little bit of yoghurt every day and sometimes my boyfriend, her father :) let her taste from his food.

Some days i have a little trouble trusting my self on this when everyone around me think im doing wrong, But im really convinced that this diet is the best you can eat, and the best you can give to a baby. I just wish that I had some support from someone...

Maybe I should have started my own diet diary... instead of writing about me in your diary RRM?
And, I am sorry for my bad writing, english is not my first language.

/Mia
dime

Re: Wai baby

Post by dime »

Mia, I think if your daughter is healthy and develops normally, then there's no reason to be concerned.
If you breastfeed her I don't see the reason for yogurt. If you would anyway want to give her yogurt, make it yourself, the commercial one is made as a mix from yogurt and dried milk, along with some thickening stuff as far as I know.
But probably RRM knows better, I don't have experience with babies, it's just my thoughts :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mia wrote:RRM, what else does she eat besides one yolk and breastmilk?
Until she was 6 months old, Trix consumed nothing but breastmilk and egg yolk.
When she was 6 months old we started giving her juices from the Versapers: banana and mango, banana and a little OJ, banana and apple or banana and pear.
Besides that she gets apple juice (from the Versapers as well).
I have a daugher born in july 2011
Thats just one month older than Trix!
and I started to give her raw egg yolk when she was 4 month old. Before that she only ate breastmilk.
Perfect!
Now she is almost 9 month and she eats 1-2 yolks/day (she really loves them, but i dont know if its ok. to give her any more than 2/day)
2 is perfect.
You may see the egg yolks as a supplement; if your baby may need some support, more egg yolk is perfect.
If her weight is perfect, what you give her now is perfect.
When she starts walking, and her weight is what iut should be, she needs relatively more sugars (fruits), so then there is no need to go over 2 egg yolks a day.
I also give her fruit (banana, mango, melon berries and some orange juice).
What kind of berries?
She doesnt have bowel cramps because of too much fiber from whole fruits?
If so, juices from the Versapers are better.
I still breastfeed her during the night and in the morning.
You can do that as long as you want.
I feel that everyone around me think I am a little crazy for not giving her "real" food.
Let them think.
The only thing that matters, is your daughter's health.
How is she doing?
This makes me very insecure and because of this I also let her eat a little bit of yoghurt every day
Please stop, because there is no reason whatsoever to do this.
Yoghurt in no way makes her healthier.
and sometimes my boyfriend, her father :) let her taste from his food.
Well, you are the boss, no?
Some days i have a little trouble trusting my self on this when everyone around me think im doing wrong,
Yes, i understand.
But im really convinced that this diet is the best you can eat, and the best you can give to a baby. I just wish that I had some support from someone...
Then stick to that!!
We are here to support you...
Maybe I should have started my own diet diary... instead of writing about me in your diary RRM?
Its perfectly fine, but of course you can also start your own thread ("Wai baby; the sequal"?)
But of course, i can also make these post your own diary...
And, I am sorry for my bad writing, english is not my first language.
Its perfectly clear.
Mia

Post by Mia »

dime wrote:Mia, I think if your daughter is healthy and develops normally, then there's no reason to be concerned.
If you breastfeed her I don't see the reason for yogurt. If you would anyway want to give her yogurt, make it yourself, the commercial one is made as a mix from yogurt and dried milk, along with some thickening stuff as far as I know.
I dont think thats how yoghurt is made here in sweden. At least not the one that is "natural -" without flavours. But im not sure. I would rather not give her any yoghurt at all, I was just worried about her calcium intake..
dime wrote:But probably RRM knows better, I don't have experience with babies, it's just my thoughts :)
Thank you for sharing them with me. I appreciate your answer :)
Mia

Post by Mia »

RRM wrote:When she was 6 months old we started giving her juices from the Versapers: banana and mango, banana and a little OJ, banana and apple or banana and pear.
Besides that she gets apple juice (from the Versapers as well).
I dont have a slow juicer. Is it ok if I make her juices (not OJ) in a centrifugal juicer instead?
RRM wrote:Thats just one month older than Trix!
So much fun, two wai-babies the same age :D

RRM wrote:What kind of berries?
She doesnt have bowel cramps because of too much fiber from whole fruits?
If so, juices from the Versapers are better.
Strawberries and raspberries, but not every day. Maybe its to much fibre in them? Some days (and nights) she seems to have some bowel cramps. She is also very constipated sometimes, and that makes her really scared. I think juices would be much better for her. But i cant juice the bananas in my centrifugal juicer. Is it ok if I juice the other fruits and blend the bananas and then mix them together in a bottle? But then the fibre from the banana would still be there :(

Is it ok to give her olive oil with the juice? If so, how much is enough for one day. I dont want to mess up the fatty acid-ratio.
RRM wrote:Let them think.
The only thing that matters, is your daughter's health.
How is she doing?
She is doing fine besides from what i wrote above. She has never been sick. She was on the low side (but within normal range) of both weight and height when she was born, but now she is on her way up to "normal". Between birth and 6 months she seemed very satisfied and hardly ever cried. Since then she seems a little bit dissatisfied, but maybe it has something to to with all the fibers she has been eating since then, and the yoghurt.
RRM wrote:Please stop, because there is no reason whatsoever to do this.
Yoghurt in no way makes her healthier.
Yes, I will definitly stop. I read somewere on the forum that babies or children need more calcium. If i use the nutrient calculator for her diet, how much calcium is enough if I compare to her RDI - 50% or more/less?
RRM wrote:Well, you are the boss, no?
Haha :D yes of course :D

My boyfriend is actually not against me on this. Just not as convinced as I am. Which makes me a little insecure of my self :)
RRM wrote:We are here to support you...
Thank you! It feels good to know that and it makes me stronger.
RRM wrote:But of course, i can also make these post your own diary...
Thank you :)

And thank you for your answers RRM. I really appreciate you taking your time.
It feels so much better to have someone to ask, and I already feel more confident that i am doing the right thing for her, no matter what people around me says :)

/Mia
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mia wrote:I would rather not give her any yoghurt at all, I was just worried about her calcium intake..
Mothersmilk contains all the calcium babies need.
Yoghurt contains 4 times as much calcium as mothersmilk, which means its waaay too much.
There is hardly a diet in the world that supplies babies too little calcium to grow strong bones.
Fruits and egg yolks also contain plenty calcium.
Do you think my daughter would be able to grow so rapidly (and can already stand up) if her diet would lack a little calcium?
Mia wrote: I dont have a slow juicer. Is it ok if I make her juices (not OJ) in a centrifugal juicer instead?
Sure, but doesnt work for bananas....
Why dont you buy a Versapers? (300 euros)
Mia wrote:
RRM wrote:What kind of berries?
Strawberries and raspberries
You cannot peel berries, so that she will ingest the herbicides / pesticides that are on the berries.
Raspberries are relatively high in anti-nutrients (bitter taste).
She really does not need a big variety of fruits. Just banana-mango (or melon) and OJ is already perfectly fine.
she seems to have some bowel cramps. She is also very constipated sometimes
Yes, her bowels are not ready for so much fiber yet.
Thats why its so much better to juice fruits. (including bananas)
Is it ok if I juice the other fruits and blend the bananas and then mix them together in a bottle? But then the fibre from the banana would still be there :(
Indeed. blending does not eliminate the fiber....
Is it ok to give her olive oil with the juice? If so, how much is enough for one day.
We add a few drops to all her juices, to prevent acid burn / acid reflux.
Since then she seems a little bit dissatisfied, but maybe it has something to to with all the fibers she has been eating since then, and the yoghurt.
Thats very much possible.
Though crying may have so many different causes, of course.
RRM wrote:I read somewere on the forum that babies or children need more calcium.
Yes, more than adults.
But thats relatively, of course!!
For calcium, all she needs is mothersmilk, egg yolks and fruits.
Not absolutely If i use the nutrient calculator for her diet, how much calcium is enough if I compare to her RDI - 50% or more/less?
Calcium RDAs are totally unreliable, unfortunately.
Mia wrote:
It feels so much better to have someone to ask, and I already feel more confident that i am doing the right thing for her, no matter what people around me says :)
Thats fantastic!! :)
Mia

Post by Mia »

RRM wrote:Why dont you buy a Versapers? (300 euros)
I will do that, but until I can afford one I just skip the bananas for her and make juices from other fruits in the centrifugal juicer.
RRM wrote:She really does not need a big variety of fruits. Just banana-mango (or melon) and OJ is already perfectly fine.
The last 2 days she has been drinking 600ml juice from melon, mango and apple with a few drops of olive oil + 2 yolks and mothersmilk. This seems to be better for her stomach, although its a little bit soon to tell.
RRM wrote:For calcium, all she needs is mothersmilk, egg yolks and fruits.
ok. I will stop worrying about it then :D

Thank you for your answers!
Mia

Re: Wai baby 2

Post by Mia »

Hello again! 
My daughter is now 13 months old. i am about to stop breastfeeding her and i wonder if there is anything special i have to think about now?  I bought a versapers 3 months ago so she drinks 1 litre of banana/muskmelon juice (50/50) and 2 yolks / day. I try to give her salmon, beef and chicken, but she does not like it very much. I think she is sensitive to citrus, because everytime she drinks banana-orange juice she  gets constipated the next day, and if i keep on giving her oj-banana the following days she does not want the juice so much anymore and will not finish her litre during the day.  I am a bit worried that  she  will be missing some nutrients. And also... Without mothersmilk,  how much calcium does she need?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mia wrote:i am about to stop breastfeeding her and i wonder if there is anything special i have to think about now?
No, nothing i can think of.
I try to give her salmon, beef and chicken, but she does not like it very much.
Dont worry, that will change with time.
I think she is sensitive to citrus
Are the oranges fully ripe; do they taste sweet?
I am a bit worried that she will be missing some nutrients.
Oranges are not essential. Other fruits are perfectly fine.
Its just that when you need many L / day, its most easy to make OJ.
And also... Without mothersmilk,  how much calcium does she need?
The funny thing is that mothersmilk contains little calcium,
and that the older she gets, she needs even less (per kg bodyweight / in % of food).
Consuming fruits and egg yolks, she will be absolutely fine.
The whole idea that we need more calcium is based on the hypothesis that more calcium helps prevent osteoporosis at old age.
Its not based on how much calcium children need to grow strong bones,
because then any diet will do, as on virtually any diet in the world, children are able to grow strong bones.

Calcium in mg / 100 gram:
140 egg yolks
54 figs
42 oranges
38 kiwi
33 mandarin
29 - 32 mothersmilk
26 strawberries
18 grapes
16 pineapple
16 apricot
12 mango
11 watermelon
10 avocado
10 pear
9 banana
8 peach
7 apple
6 muskmelon
Mia

Post by Mia »

Are the oranges fully ripe; do they taste sweet?
This could be the problem. I hope so, because it would be much easier and less expensive if she could drink oj. But i dont really know, i think its hard to tell if they are ripe enough from the taste. For me the oj often tastes bad after a couple of days of drinking it. (I do make new juice every morning). It could be poor quality / not ripe enough oranges or something else, i dont know.
Oranges are not essential. Other fruits are perfectly fine.
Thats good to hear. But is muskmelon a good choice as a staple food for her? From that list it seems to be very low in calcium. Pineapple is very difficult i think, and grapes dont seem to be perfect either because of thin skin and pesticides. Apples are low i nutrients. It would definitly be much better if she could drink oj or mandarin juice. Maybe it best if I keep trying those citrus fruits after all...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mia wrote:For me the oj often tastes bad after a couple of days of drinking it. (I do make new juice every morning).
Then it is bad.
It simply means that the body objects to the level of antinutrients/acids/contamination.
Logically, your baby's body will do the same.
You only need to give her juice that always taste good to you, so you nconstantly need to look for the perfect oranges.
To the extend that you always love to drink it.
You may add some white sugar and oil, btw.
The oil prevents acid reflux / heartburn, so that your baby can continue drinking.
And the sugar gives your baby that extra energy that it needs for growing.
But is muskmelon a good choice as a staple food for her? From that list it seems to be very low in calcium.
Dont worry about the calcium; the egg yolks already contain quite some calcium.
Pineapple is very difficult i think, and grapes dont seem to be perfect either because of thin skin and pesticides.
With the slow juicer, the skin and the pesticides on the skin will be separated from the juice.
panacea

Post by panacea »

I was reading this site: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

which figures the approximate natural weaning age for human babies by comparing to our closest primates using various logical factors such as body weight, age they get molars, etc, you can see for yourself (I trust these types of logical conclusions much more than the misled cultural beliefs of humans), and in the wild, our closest relatives of all kinds breastfeed for much, much longer than 13 months. Even some human cultures breastfeed much longer than that. I would say that it depends on the health of the mother whether breastfeeding or solely egg yolks and fruit juice would be better, but it's definitely something to think about. If you feel a need to stop breastfeeding then that's fine but I just urge you not to bow to the social pressures and social timeline as your sole reason for doing so.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Lots of oranges are just unripe when you buy them in the store. I tend to let my oranges ripen for 2 weeks or more. The current batch has ripened for 3-4 weeks and they are delicious.
Mia

Post by Mia »

Hi again :)
My daughter has started preschool now, and after quite a lot of discussion
and a meeting with the teachers, the preschool chef and the person responsible for the food in
the preschool we were finally allowed to bring her own juice with us. No meat, fish, eggs .. But she can have that at home in the evening.. So im very happy :) we did not think it would be possible because of all regulations around food safety... people are soooo scared of bacterias!! One problem is that they
can not let her drink from the juice at any other times then their mealtimes.
This means that she cant drink any juice between 09:00 when we leave her at the preschool
and 11:00 when they serve lunch. At lunch she drinks about 200-250 ml juice and eat tomato and cucumber that they
serve her from the schoolkitchen. After lunch she sleeps until we get her home by 14:00.

What do you think about this routine? Is it ok, or is there something that we should try to change?
Mia

Post by Mia »

Thank you Oscar for the tips with the oranges. I will definitly try to by the oranges
a few weeks before we use them. Im about to start experimenting with the oranges again...
Because Its quite a hassle and very expensive to juice much of melon or mango. Actually Its impossible
to afford that in our current situation. So I really hope i find a way to make the oj work.

Does anyone know if its possible to get used to orange juice if you continue to drink it even though
your body do not seem to like it. I mean if i can get rid of sensitivity and intolerance in any way?