Panacea's diet log

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Panacea's diet log

Post by panacea »

I'm finally getting a control over my junk food addiction, that doesn't mean I've been free of it very long but how much I'm eating of it is dropping drastically.

I have multiple bottles of honey, organic olive oil, probiotic/prebiotic pills, and spring water in bottles lying around all over my apartment which I've started just grabbing whenever I get any sort of hunger, because I know if there's something not near me I will put it off, get more hungry, and that's when my blood sugar drops so low that I can't resist junk foods. I'm one of those people that doesn't believe in willpower so I have pretty much absolutely none. If I get a strong urge for junk food I don't even bother stressing about it and just eat it (I have to actually drive in my car to go get some as I don't keep it stocked in my apartment, which is a form of negative punishment but even that hasn't gotten me to stop).

I also made the background on my laptop (which I use like 8+ hours a day) a motivational poster to start eating better.

I also use digestive enzymes, mostly when I eat egg yolks, even though I probably don't need them. I'm not a believer in using supplements for life at all, however I'm open to trying some of these things to get over the initial hurdle. I also take systemic enzymes separate from the digestive ones. The money isn't an issue because if it was I wouldn't recommend doing this extra stuff.

I also have cod liver oil supplement and a liquid mineral supplement, but I have not taken those in a month or so because I've been eating raw atlantic salmon (making the thought of the cod supplement a disgusting thought) and the liquid mineral supplement makes me feel unpleasantly "off" in my mind.

I've noticed that when I haven't eaten egg yolks for a long time, I start biting my nails, so far down that it hurts. I'm convinced this is a sign of nutrient deficiencies and not a habit, because it never happens when I've recently had egg yolks. I take this as yet another indication that I have gut problems, due to imbalanced bacteria/flora/yeast in there, low CP (buteyko), sedentary level of exercise (nonexistent) and frequent binging on junk food.
panacea

Re: Panacea's diet log

Post by panacea »

So in short my entire 'wai' diet consists of:
(remember I eat a lot of junk food also, trying to quit)

Foods:
(all raw)
Egg yolks (yum, but hard to prepare)
Salmon (I really hate the taste still)
Honey (tastes good once swallowed, tastes too strongly sweet on front of tongue)
Olive oil (organic, extra virgin, tastes good once swallowed, tastes bad on tongue)
Grapes (very rare, just to get my vitamin c needs, otherwise I hate them, I hate pretty much all fruits because they are so pesticide-tasting or, if scrubbed, tasteless in my area and the grapes taste like rubber, but still better than the other fruits.)
Tons of water

Supplements:
digestive / systemic enzymes
cod liver oil (if not eaten fish in awhile)
liquid mineral supplement (when I start biting my nails sometimes but I don't like it)
dime

Post by dime »

Best strategy to stay away from junk food: don't let yourself get hungry, so always have some proper food around.
Not sure why are raw egg yolks hard to prepare? I find it to be the easiest thing to eat, along with salmon which only needs cutting.
To make the fish taste better you can try some egg yolks on top btw. I put egg yolks on top of pretty much everything I eat, it makes the best sauce :D
panacea

Post by panacea »

because it takes forever to remove the shell, egg white, and sac for a tiny egg yolk, to be careful not to let the egg white go in the sink, etc. I'm a tall person (6'8) and need a lot of them, really takes a while considering that I cook absolutely nothing so all of my other food is instant besides fish which isn't instant but still requires zero work (just throw in a bowl of water and wait)

I've tried covering up the fish with spices which really helps, and squeezing the flesh to get rid of some of the excess oil, it all helps but the smell (on my hands, and my face) after eating them digusts me as well as the fish oil taste. The supplement isn't as bad because it's quick and done, which is why I'm going to not buy fish anymore and just use the supplement. Just have to get rid of my current supply.
Maia

Post by Maia »

If money is not an issue for you to buy the supplements, then why don't you just use that money to buy some good quality fruit from the internet instead? I am sure there have to be lots of sites for that, especially in the US.
A diet consisting (mostly) of honey and eggs sure sounds very lacking, and it is not strange that you feel that you want to eat something else, like junk food.
And by lacking I don't mean only in terms of nutrients.
So, yes... I really think you should try to order some proper good fruits, and maybe also good quality fish, from the internet.
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
panacea

Post by panacea »

All of the health food recipes etc listed here don't interest me. The only reason I eat junk food is because of cravings, otherwise I have absolutely no interest in fancy or dressed up foods. When I feel lacking (such as when biting my nails) it's because I haven't had egg yolks in about 2 weeks, and haven't had fulfilling junk food (like chicken) in about 4+ days, it's pretty rare for me. I've looked online for all kinds of fresh foods such as fresh organic OJ, fresh organic beef etc from top quality sources, the short answer is it's just not available or too expensive. Buying a supplement that will last me about 4 months costs usually $20-$40, buying some top quality meat or orange juice online costs about the same with shipping and will last me maybe a day and a half. Furthermore I don't even think it's possible to produce enough fruit without using pesticides, herbicides, and picking before ripe in the united states to sell in a measurable quantity.

The feeling I get when I crave junk food is very distinct, it's not a craving for missing nutrients at all, it's a craving for either sugar based junk food or grain based junk food (like the batter found on fast food chicken) Clearly there is nothing in these foods to offer me that isn't in egg yolks, honey, olive oil, or fish. To make this a little more easy to understand - I only eat about 7 different types of junk food, I hardly ever stray and buy something strange. The items are either fast food with bread (buns) chicken (mostly for the batter since I despise chicken without it, beef and cheese burger (mostly for the cheese and the breaded buns), honeybuns (for the bread and icing, this one solves both cravings but makes me feel sick after because it's so processed. Call me crazy, but processed foods like honeybuns hurt me even more than McDonalds fast food. And the other candy is licorice (the childs candy kind not the herb or w/e) (which is basically food dye and sugar, corn syrup, the usual). That's it. My point is that I can easily tell that my junk food habits are a direct result of my superficial cravings, and not a malnutrition problem, since my blood sugar woes could be solved even easier by consuming the healthier food which is closer to me in my apartment. The problem is that if I wait too long, the craving for blood sugar balance gets so strong it transforms into a mental problem now not an unconscious one, and I will start dreaming of junk food, and once that happens I almost always cave in.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

What about finding some second best options.
It sounds like you've quite a hard time avoiding junk food at the moment.

I would try to find food which is not as unhealthy as junk and still satisfies your cravings a little bit.
Like eating some organic grass-fed raw cheese, instead of a cheese burger.
And maybe eat fermented bread (sourdough for example), for satisfying grain cravings.
Fermented bread is easier digested.

I mean, that junk is really bad for you.
A friend of me at the burger king told me that they use their frying oil until it is as black as motor oil.
I don't think eating good quality cheese or bread isn't that bad for you.
Especially if your digestive system doesn't have much problems with it.
It may not be the best option, but a lot better than eating than junk.

About your blood sugar balance.
As you say you don't get much exercise, I think you should try to get much energy from fat instead of sugar.
What about combining honey with organic grass-fed butter for example.

This is an recipe I use to get some more fat in my diet:
Stir frying veggies with a lot of coconut oil/red palm oil at a low temperature in a wok.
I use veggies like tomatoes, onions, bell pepper etc.
I really let them soak up in the oil. This makes them very tasty.
I let it cool down a little bit, and than add some raw egg yolk.
I also add some sea salt.

About liquorice candy, I guess there is also some real liquorce in this candy (in holland they do).
If you have cravings for this taste, you could try some liquorice tea.
Also combines very well with honey.
panacea

Post by panacea »

If I could get some grass fed raw cheese, I would.. they ban selling that stuff in the US, even so, cheese on its own causes me a lot of problems (it's too much cheese and I go crazy with it).

As good as that idea might be for others, I've tried it, an get exhausted not only with finding these top quality foods, them being so expensive that I opt for the normal junk food instead, having them stocked in my apartment makes me totally neglect the egg yolks and honey/olive oil etc, because the semi-good food is there, and I still end up eating normal junk food even if I have it stocked anyway, since butter, cheese, and fermented bread won't satisfy the cravings on their own, as when it goes to my brain it's about the smell of foods - for example the smell of fast food that I know, that triggers my brain to curb addiction, and then when eaten, the physical side of it gets taken care of. Compare that with something like organic butter - the smell isn't there to make me want to put it in my mouth, which means even if it would satisfy my physical cravings, just like egg yolks would, it won't satisfy the mental aspect (the smell), because I waited too long and let my blood sugar drop too much or didn't eat enough egg yolks recently.

As for cooking, even stir frying, I don't have any of that equipment such as a stove and even if I did I would never use it, I absolutely hate cooking even for 5 minutes, I don't do dishes or anything it's just not ever going to happen, and to beat addiction the first rule is to not try and do things you know are unrealistic for yourself (I made that mistake buying a juicer, which turned out to be a huge waste of money because there is so little reward in spending an hour each day preparing a fruit drink which doesn't even taste that good, or takes days to ripen, get bought and put in the house, high turnover (in the case of bananas), etc. My point is that these health foods just can't compete with the ease and availability of junk food - and the health benefits don't appeal to someone who is addicted to junk food when they are under the influence of cravings. The more time it takes to wait for fruit to ripen, to prepare food, etc, the more likelihood that I'm going to start craving junk food before I even get the healthy food ready to eat. That's why an instantaneous bottle of honey and olive oil, water, supplements, and egg yolks are my best options. The honey idea is actually brand new, and it's working great. I couldn't believe it but yesterday I went to go get some fast food after sipping honey all day, and couldn't even muster the strength to turn the key of my car and go get some because I was so unhungry, even though the mental craving was there. And I didn't even have much honey, just kept sipping it frequently.

bell peppers are fruits technically I think, but yeah I hate vegetables can't stand them, none of that food you mentioned appeals to me, even more unappetizing than the egg yolks, I even bought red palm oil a while back and it's even worse than olive oil to me.

it's not the licorice taste I crave, I actually hate the texture and taste of licorice candy, it's the smell and sugar satisfaction I crave. Although, the smell of honey is now having a similar effect which is really great.
dime

Post by dime »

Man you seem to have some really serious addiction to junk food. I hope whatever you're doing (honey, yolks, olive oil) helps.
I do minimal cooking, just fill in a slow cooker with fatty meat and rice once every 3-4 days, and this stuff keeps me well fed and happy. Haven't even thought of junk food, or really about food at all which is very liberating. When I started bothering with diets, nutrition and health, I've been paying so much attention to what, when, how much I eat, it can become a real disorder.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Yeah, a slow cooker is the one thing I think might help since it's just as easy as a fridge. I'll get one when I have the money been doing a lot of spending. I do have a serious addiction to junk food - but I don't eat a ton like most people, I just can't break the habit altogether.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A very easy way to slow cook food, is by using a big enough pan on a low enough fire.
I have this one pan that is wide, and if i put it on the smallest fire,
the water will never start boiling, and will get about 76 degrees Celsius max.
So, you just need to throw in the meat, and get back a few hours later.
All you need to do is find a pan big enough, and a fire small enough.
Maia

Post by Maia »

panacea wrote:I've looked online for all kinds of fresh foods such as fresh organic OJ, fresh organic beef etc from top quality sources, the short answer is it's just not available or too expensive.
I've tried it, an get exhausted not only with finding these top quality foods, them being so expensive

Of course food of good quality fruit is much more expensive than your usual junk food or bad quality fruit. It is just a matter of what your priorities are.
A bit beyond perceptions reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes, each
containing the others key -Piet Hein
panacea

Post by panacea »

It's actually a matter of how I can't afford it.. Even if I cut spending in every single other area of my life, I wouldn't be able to upkeep those kind of costs. I'm a frugal person whose passion only costs $50 a month - the cost for internet. Everything else is either cravings (junk food, at most I will spend 4$ at a meal on the dollar menu or a snack), or neccessities such as real food or rent, or transportation. My hobbies are videogames, movies, reading, etc, which I get games, movies, and pdf books online for free from torrent sites. I don't have many areas to 'cut back on' and focus on 'real priorities' like getting a little bit better quality food for an insane price and lots of hassle. Not to mention that simply having that food won't answer my addiction problem.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

panacea wrote:The money isn't an issue because if it was I wouldn't recommend doing this extra stuff.
I think the confusion arose because of this statement. ;)
panacea

Post by panacea »

All that means is if you are in a bind and have to choose from one important thing to buy or another, the supplements should be at the bottom of the list. But you can't say "oh well I'll skip the supplements which cost me about 75 cents a day ontop of current diet costs, and choose the nationwide shipping service and little bit better quality and tasting health food for triple the current diet costs and go broke.."