Diet diary

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
overkees
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Diary

Post by overkees »

Alright people, I'm almost hitting the 3 months mark and would like to share my diet diary with you. I'm going to be very honest with you. As it might also help me in the process of getting over that dark part of my life. And being proud that I now can live with moderation!

I live in The Netherlands, I'm 22 years old and 1.90 tall. I'm a male.

I'm currently studying Mathematics at the University of Utrecht again. Because I quit it due to motivational problems, sleeping problems, concentration problems and a bad lifestyle. No believe in myself, except for the fact that I kept telling myself things were going to be alright and that it wasn't such a big deal. Hoping for some miraculous change, someone that would come out of the dark and offered me a model carreer. Because I get a lot of compliments on the way I look and on my presence. You should have seen me in that period though, I looked like a total zombie!
It all came to a boiling point February. A nervous breakdown. I was taking all kinds of harddrugs (such as xtc, amphetamines) almost on a weekly basis for 3/4 year and some (weed, alcohol, tobacco) on a daily basis for almost 1.5 years. I started to radically change my lifestyle after this meltdown, so I went back to live with my parents again.
Quitting smoking was one of that changes, I also started excercising by going swimming every day for an hour. My diet consisted of a lot of vegetables with a lot of fat and proteins. I started to eat as little sugar as possible. In this period I ate a lot of meat, cheese and milk. In the beginning it was working out pretty damn fine. I started developping some muscle and some stamina with the excercising and the protein rich diet. Things were looking good again. I still had some sleeping and concentration problems. But I didn't smoke for 1.5 month, and not a single drop of alcohol. I moved back to Utrecht, because things were looking fine..
But they weren't, as soon as I started living in Utrecht I was immediately swallowed up in the Techno scene. Falling back to my drug abuse. Still eating a lot of proteins and fat, and no sugars. Alot of parties and drugs again. But still didn't touch mister Booze and his wife Mary Jane. Getting back to smoking though. I still kept swimming nevertheless!
My rhythm was so bad, and the proteins got me so lazy and energyless. I sometimes slept 56 hours in a period of 72 hours. On one day my mother called me 4 times and everytime I was on the phone with her I fell sound asleep with her still being on the other side of the line. So she smellt something wasn't right and picked me up from Utrecht and brought me back home.
This time I started to investigate eating habits and diets. Because I could sleep for hours and hours on the protein diet (which I started due to the success of Dr. Frank's diet in the Netherlands). So I learned a lot about vitamins and minerals. Eating lots of veggies and other 'healthy' food. Swimming was my new addiction. I was swimming almost 4 km in an hour, 7 days a week. I spent 8 hours a day learning about hormones, nutrients and drugs. A mad man obsession.
Like with caffeine, it al stated that this is healthy for that, but unhealthy for this but good for that, blabla. I couldn't figure out what a good diet should be like.I spent hours and hours and thought I found it by eating egg yolks, raw beef, and fruit/vegetables in a ratio of 70:30. Using a lot of spices, because of their medical properties. I didn't eat raw fish, cuz I didn't like things like herring, which is always served raw. Then I came across the wai diet. Everything I learned about eating and hormones was presented, in a logical way, for free. Everything I learnt fell into place. I was pretty close to 100 % the first month. Thanks alot for sharing this wonderful piece of information, RRM, Wai and co!

I now still take drugs every now and then. But more like once in 1.5/2.5 months. Purely recreational and only when dancing. Although i still have a few evenings a week where I enjoy 2 glasses of wine. Also smoking is still a difficulty. I used to smoke 10 packs a week. I reduced it to 4 packs in a week. Sometimes I don't smoke for 4 - 5 days. Still trying to quit, but searching for the right moment. For now, exams are coming up so it isn't a smart thing to quit now. I'm planning to completely stop after my exams.

Since I'm wai, I have been struggling whether to go 100 % or not. I've been wai 100% for not longer than 3 days. I still enjoy cooking very much and I still eat a hot meal 2 times in a week. With as less protein as possible and searching for ideal vegetables. And I decided that for now, I'm not going wai 100%. Keeping it 95%. I still have a lot of occassions where I don't see the need to say no to a dinner with friends or family. I'm feeling great, my sleeping problems are finally fading away. Why 100%? I reached all my goals.

And now the diet part:
My diet consists of 2L OJ + 80-100 mL OO combined with 5 mashed bananas (with the immersion blender on 150 W), some dried fruits (figs or plums) and 7 - 12 egg yolks. I also eat 100 - 150g fish 2 - 3 times in a week. And once or twice per month, 150 g steak tartare with a raw egg yolk on a rice cracker.

Then I have my hot dishes, 2 times per week on average. Often with steamed, blanched or parboiled vegetables. Vegetables like: garlic, onions, ginger, carrots, broccolli, lemon grass, pumpkin, haricots verts, galanga, turmeric, chili pepper. Served with rice, or potato. And flavored with a few spices like: cumin, coriander, salt, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg. For meat I use as little as possible, often with good chicken (not the supermarket chicken filets!), grass fed beef and sometimes pork - when I'm on low budget and/or need to cook for a large group. I once cooked a Thai Green Curry for 23 people!
For I am a big fan of curry dishes from all over asia. My favorite is the red curry from Thailand. I would like to add that i cook them according tot the traditional way and I use very low temperature. Although when it comes to the seasoning I do it according to my taste. I enjoy this alot and see these curries as medicine.
I also eat french fries with homemade mayonaise. I can't kick this addiction. I would like to quit it, but it's to damn hard. In the beginning of the wai experience I used to eat french fries up to 4 times a week! Now I'm on 2 times max. But then it was my only munch food, now I've reintroduced the eventual curry, my favorite dish. But I'm determined to quit french fries at all cost!

So, I hope you enjoyed my wai healing experience. I would also love to hear your thoughts about why I should go 100% and/or what bad can the curry dishes do? Because I'm still not convinced that 100% is that much better than, say 92 % with other healthy stuff
RRM
Administrator

Re: Diary

Post by RRM »

Thank you, overkees!
Did you read this post?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176&p=1285#p1285
overkees

Post by overkees »

But still, 100% can't be so much better than 99%! Because there will always be some antinutrients in it! Like with the fruit we buy, it has pesticide residue and you can't be 100% really. So why would going 100% make such a big difference? Also the air that we breathe, second hand smoke.. Egg yolks same story. The food that chicken eat has a major impact.

I really can't see the point of 100% wai. I think it's your mind striving for the optimum. By doing the best possible, you can't blame yourself for doing anything wrong. And still there's the possibillity to raise your own hens, your own insects. Fruit trees, your own grain field. Built indoor. Having the air filtered in your house. You can't be perfect. So, I think it's all between the ears. It's about thinking your doing everything that is in your power to do that gives the feeling of balance and ultimateness.

Except for the raw flavors, that is imo the only thing, the only reason to go 100%.
dime

Post by dime »

overkees wrote:But still, 100% can't be so much better than 99%! Because there will always be some antinutrients in it! Like with the fruit we buy, it has pesticide residue and you can't be 100% really. So why would going 100% make such a big difference? Also the air that we breathe, second hand smoke.. Egg yolks same story. The food that chicken eat has a major impact.
It could be that cooked/non-wai food has a lot more impact than these things? I wouldn't know though, I eat steamed rice every day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:But still, 100% can't be so much better than 99%! Because there will always be some antinutrients in it!
This 100% vs 99.9% discussion is not about antinutrients, or health (HCA, oxysterols etc),
but about addiction.
When you do the 100% version, you are liberated of all the influences of opioid peptides and beta-carbolines.
Maybe you can compare it to smoking just 2 cigarettes a day, and smoking no cigarettes at all.
Except for the raw flavors, that is imo the only thing, the only reason to go 100%.
Thats another reason, indeed.
Consuming no taste enhancers whatsoever, you can taste the whole spectrum of those subtle flavors in raw foods.
dime wrote:I eat steamed rice every day.
How do you eat it? sauce? spices?
dime

Post by dime »

RRM wrote:
dime wrote:I eat steamed rice every day.
How do you eat it? sauce? spices?
Just plain white rice, with some oil on top.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ah, for energy purposes?
dime

Post by dime »

Yes, I don't like table sugar as it gets me a bit too much fructose, and my stomach doesn't like dextrose, so I ended up with rice.
But I just realize I could limit it to the days I workout (2-3 times a week), and substitute it with oil or something else otherwise. To get closer to the 100% :-)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I never thought Gavi could've been right about his 99.999% vs 100%, but I have to admit it is correct. Not only have I experienced it myself, but I've also seen the difference with my mom. I'd suggest you try it, if you can. :)
overkees

Post by overkees »

Okay guys, I thought I would share some updates:

It has been a hell of a ride since my first post in this topic. I have had periods in which I was off the diet for a week, sometimes two. Still drinking juice and no eating bread. But alot of french fries, hamburgers, curries, red bull, that kind of stuff. This was always in a period where I suffered alot from stress.
Also my goals were fluctuating. Going 100%, or 90% with moderation and enjoying the eventual junk foods. Quitting smoking entirely or just buying a pack every now and then? Couldn't figure it out.
I also started practicing buteyko and had very good experiences with it and recommend everyone to look at it. Wai+buteyko can make you a superhuman, I'm convinced of that now.

2-3 months ago: I was starting to get in the flow, study wasn't a big issue, lots of energy, feeling good. My buteyko CP (control pause: time you can hold breath with no hassle after your normale exhalalation) was 35 in the morning and some of the times above 40 in the rest of the day and was feeling that I almost was breaking through.
Then I was in a pretty @@%#%$ up accident and got kinda depressed. Losing the feeling, not showing up in my classes, eating junk foods. My CP dropped to below 20. After a few weeks I went on a holiday to see the sun. I was very close to 100% with whole fruits and was recovering very good. My CP started to rise slowly aswell. After I came back it was just below 30 in the morning.
I also started to sleep on the ground more often, since I still slept too much when sleeping in the bed - in the bed I sleep 10 hours, on the ground 7 hours.
I then had examinations again, which I miserably failed (though I will manage when the second chance period comes) and went back to bad food, because my 70 euro citrus press broke. Only a slight rise in my CP.
Then I had some time to think about my goals again. And decided to finally quit smoking (1 week now, and going easy). To see what wai 100% for 3 months will do with you. And to go above 40s CP forever.
So, this is what I did. I quitted smoking and ordered a versapers (big investment but well worth the price) and am now on my 5th day of wai 100%. I must admit that I had one bite of a sausage and a cup of thee, but that's it. And got a feeling I can pull it off easily, a feeing which I lacked all of the time, due to enormous craving attacks.
For the Buteyko I decided that sleeping on the ground on a hard surface and windows open, is not enough to break the 40s barrier. I have done alot of excercises to increase the CP (30 min+ of reduced breathing and swimming every other day), but I wake up everyday with a MCP of 30-35 and CP of 35 and after reduced breathing I get 40-50s for some time. It's really easy to get to 30s MCP, but breaking through 40 MCP is extremely hard, alot harder than I imagined. But they say that 40 is the biggest marker, after that it gets easier again.
So I read the buteyko topics in the general health area again and again. Also ready pretty much all of www.normalbreathing.com and noticed one thing. Kasper commented that he had a big change in cp after he inclined his bed. Not much later he got through the 40 MCP barrier (He hasn't visited since then, so don't know where he is by now). So, 2 days ago I decided to give it a shot. I bought a woodenplate and inclined it, so my head is 20 cm higher than my feet. Combining sleeping on a hard surface with inclined bed therapy (on the website they also talk about sleeping on the the belly for improvements, but I have always slept on my belly, so that's not a problem). I also bought the vibram fivefingers for running and trekking, for better feet and a better posture.

The results are that I feel very good, really energetic and sleep alot less. I also have no problems with my blood sugar (had a lot of them) and eat less, strange enough.
For example, I slept 4.5 hours today, did some running on the fivefingers (2 kms), swam 1.5 km and did a small HIIT in the pool. After that I went to school, but got so tired that I needed a nap, so I tried to take a nap while sitting but it took 20-30 minutes to fall asleep that way. Slept for a total of 1.5 hours. Feeling very good now and after my nap I had a CP of 48.

I think I'm really close to breaking through now. I still have 35 (M)CP most of time, but if I do only as little as 2 minutes of reduced breathing i get 45+ most of the time. I'm already having a lot of the benefits of +40 CP while not always above it. So I think I'm finally in my transistion period. A few more days and I will be victorious.

My (ultimate) goals for now are 60s CP, never have a cold sensation anymore (always be warm), running 10 kms on the fivefingers with nose breathing only, swimming 1500 m under 20 minutes (also nasal) and completing 4 sprints of 100 meters at 90% of max cap., sleeping less than 6 hours and feeling energetic, complete 3 months of wai 100%, being and studying on the university from 9 to 5 every working day, get a six pack and never get sick (not even a cold).

These are very extreme goals if I would have seen them a year ago. Although I am convinced I will be able to do them all before end of this college year! Unless I get an accident again... (*knocks on wood*)
overkees

Post by overkees »

I was really curious at a very accurate nutrient table for my diet. I noticed that some of the RDAs on the site have been replaced by new ones and I also added AIs to the table (Adequate Intake). It was a heck of a job, because the dried prunes, pickled herring and dried apricots were not included in the nutrient calculator. I also added some other nutrient infos.

Your selection:
[Item 1] 1500ml (milliliters) of Orange juice (Citrus sinensis), fresh, not pasteurized, [1][2],
[Item 2] 60g (grams) of Raisin (Vitis vinifera), [1],
[Item 3] 5units of Fig (Ficus carica), dried, [2][1],
[Item 4] 25ml (milliliters) of Olive oil (Olea europea), [1],
[Item 5] 1table spoons of Honey, [1],
[Item 6] 6units of Chicken egg yolk (Gallus domesticus), raw, [1].
[Item 7] 10units of Plums, [1],
[Item 8] 10units of apricots, [1],
[Item 9] 100g (grams) of Atlantic herring, pickled[1],

Nutrients...............................Quantity..............RDA

Vitamins
Vitamin A, RE (Retinol Equivalent).......1280mcg ......900.00mcg
-Beta-carotene...........................1454mcg ............?mcg no data:2,4,5
Vitamin B1, Thiamin........................1.87mg ..........1.20mg
Vitamin B2, Riboflavin.....................1.66mg ..........1.30mg
Vitamin B3, Niacin/Nicotinamide............14.34mg .........16.00mg
Vitamin B5, Pantothenic acid...............8.12mg .............4mg
Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine.....................1.73mg ..........1.30mg
Vitamin B8, Biotin.........................65mcg ............5mcg no data:1,2,3,4,5,8,9
Vitamin B9, Folic acid...................650mcg .......200.00mcg
Vitamin B12................................7.39mcg .........2.40mcg
Vitamin C, Ascorbic acid.................790mg .........90.00mg
Vitamin D................................21mcg ........15mcg
Vitamin E..................................12mg .........15.00mg
Vitamin K..................................216.60mcg ........120.00mcg no data:1,2,3,4,5
Choline...................................782mg.............550mg

Minerals and trace elements
Calcium, Ca..............................695mg .......1000.00mg
Iron, Fe..................................15.7mg .........11.00mg
Magnesium, Mg............................348mg ........400.00mg
Phosphorus, P............................1140g .......700.00mg
Sodium, Na...............................985mg .............1500mg
Potassium, K............................6311mg .............4700mg
Zinc, Zn...................................5.86mg .........11.00mg
Iodide, I.................................150mcg .......150.00mcg no data:2,4,5,7,8
Selenium, Se..............................113.53mcg ........70.00mcg
Copper.....................................2.2mg.............0.9mg
Manganese.................................1.5mg.............2.3mg
Molybdenum.................................40-90mcg.............45mcg
Chromium......................................200mcg..............35mcg
(((((Fluoride...............................400mcg................4mg)))))**

**Based on prevention for tooth decay, raisins are a food that is really high in fluoride, it contains 250 mcg/100g. This is a sky high AI!

Omega 3 : Omega 6

dried fruits* 50 : 350
orange juice (1L) 130 : 300
Olive oil (25 mL) 200 : 2000
Egg yolk (6 units) 900 : 1570
Pickled herring (100g) 2000 : 300
--------------------
Total: 3280mg : 4520mg
1 : 1.38

*10 apricots, 10 prunes, 5 figs, 1 big hand of raisins

Pickled herring 1144 EPA : 107 DPA : 743 DHA
Egg yolks 12 EPA : 0 : 720 DHA
-----------------------------------------------
Total 1156 EPA : 107 DPA : 1463 DHA

Low on nutrients according to these updated tables: E, B3, calcium, zinc, magnesium,sodium,manganese

I don't see any reason to consume more products to meet these AIs or RDAs, most of them are minerals and our body can balance the absorption rates pretty good, except for zinc, B3 and E.
Beef is high in zinc and B3
Apricots are high in B3 and E
Olive oil is high in vitamin E

Therefore I will consume more beef and apricots, and a tiny bit more olive oil.

If you look to the ratio of the RDI compared to my intake, I'm high on: phosphorus, copper, chromium

UL copper: 10 mg ---- Totally Safe
UL phosphorus: 4g ----- Totally safe
UL chromium: Not defined, it seems not be really toxic, so there is no need to be scared.

My ratio of omega fatty acids seem to be very good, and even with the addition of a bit more olive oil and beef, I'm still in the 1:1-2 which is considered ideal. I'm really enjoying pickled herring, as it is very cheap and tastes good.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:I was really curious at a very accurate nutrient table for my diet. I noticed that some of the RDAs on the site have been replaced by new ones and I also added AIs to the table (Adequate Intake). It was a heck of a job, because the dried prunes, pickled herring and dried apricots were not included in the nutrient calculator. I also added some other nutrient infos.
If you added that info to the calculator, we should upload that, no?
I don't see any reason to consume more products to meet these AIs or RDAs, most of them are minerals and our body can balance the absorption rates pretty good, except for zinc, B3 and E.
Zinc absorption rates are also adjusted in accordance with intake.
B3 is also composed by the body; its made of tryptophan.
Beef is high in zinc and B3
Apricots are high in B3 and E
Olive oil is high in vitamin E

Therefore I will consume more beef and apricots, and a tiny bit more olive oil.
Salmon is high in zinc, B3 and E. (herring contains half as much B3 and 70% of the E)
I love frozen wild salmon from AH; defreeze in warm water (in plastic) and it tastes good.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Well I did it all by hand, I have no experience in java script or c++ or whatsoever. I used the second table: http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidan ... dri-tables . Heck of a job... but because I think my diet will not differ too much from this version investing in it once will be a good thing.

Salmon is nice yeah, but also more expensive than the pickled herring I consume. But I could consume salmon once in a while to be completely sure that I don't miss any nutrient.

How do you know that one third of the RDA of zinc is safe for us?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote: How do you know that one third of the RDA of zinc is safe for us?
I didnt say that.
Your intake is 5.86mg?
In the Netherlands, the RDA used to be 5 to 10 mg / day.
dime

Post by dime »

Yes, plus consider that the RDA is for the general diet where grains and legumes are staples, which as we know contain a lot of phytic acid.
Phytic acid heavily affects the amount of zinc and iron that is absorbed, and to a lesser extent calcium and magnesium (mainly because we anyway get a lot of these, compare 10mg zinc/iron vs. 500mg calcium for example).
In any case I think zinc is a very important mineral for men especially.. you could eat some red meat regularly as it contains pretty high amounts.