Diet diary

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: I suspect deficiencies

Post by dime »

RRM wrote:
any data on how much calcium and phytic acid there is in soaked hazelnuts? Using logic: It will result in a very tiny amount of calcium.
This "very tiny amount" will probably be more than enough to fulfill your calcium requirements.
Just check out studies about phytic acid and calcium uptake ratios.
Yes true, phytic acid has much more effect on zinc and iron abosrption, than calcium.
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote: So, overkees, can you tell me how i can measure whether someone is 'acidic'?
It's not something you can measure directly. But if supplementing with the alkalic macroelements: magnesium, calcium, zinc you see a big difference in your health then there must be something happening.
If you ingest to much stuff that is acidic, you will need to buffer it with minerals from the body.
If your CO2 level is out of whack, the buffer system can't compensate due to the fact that the ratios are out of whack. Then your body needs to draw upon minerals that are already present in the body (causing osteoporosis).
Calcium from plant sources is much better than from milk and more bio available.

RRM messed up this post accidentally, sorry overkees.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:
RRM wrote: So, overkees, can you tell me how i can measure whether someone is 'acidic'?
It's not something you can measure directly. But if supplementing with the alkalic macroelements: magnesium, calcium, zinc you see a big difference in your health then there must be something happening.
So, its just an assumption.
If you ingest to much stuff that is acidic, you will need to buffer it with minerals from the body.
Your body buffers acidity with bicarbonate.
If your CO2 level is out of whack, the buffer system can't compensate due to the fact that the ratios are out of whack. Then your body needs to draw upon minerals that are already present in the body (causing osteoporosis)
If the bicarbonate systems are exhausted, you will definitely notice immediately.
Osteoporosis takes much longer to develop. (decades; most prevalent in elderly)
Calcium from plant sources is much better than from milk and more bio available.
No, calcium from milk is very well absorbed.
Its meant for suckling cows to grow rapidly, and doesnt contain the calcium-uptake inhibitors that plant foods contain.
How is the calcium from plant foods 'better' ?
Please supply a reference.
overkees

Re: Diet diary

Post by overkees »

It's useless anyway. But the things I posted that have been removed explained how it worked. If you're breathing is too rapid, or mouth breathing your CO2 saturation deep in the tissues is not sufficient enough to maintain the ratio of the Bicarbonate buffer system.

The point with buteyko is, that there has been very little research done. And some of the research that has been done, hasn't been done correctly. The point is: not a lot of people know about it. And there is no money to be made by the sponsors of those researches by learning breathing techniques and promoting nasal aerobic exercise.

If you really want to get into this, then I will repost some usefull things that you accidently removed from my previous post. But I've got the feeling that either you won't believe it, or you will ask for scientific research that I can't refer too.

But please, look at the posts on the normalbreathing site. Look on the stories of dime, kasper, fred and me and how it ALL improved our health. There has been done some cancer research for buteyko method too. I can post that too
fred

Post by fred »

Yes overkees, please repost!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That is not the way it works on this forum.
You can make bold statements, but you need to back them up,
or admit you were making assumptions.
overkees wrote:If your CO2 level is out of whack, the buffer system can't compensate due to the fact that the ratios are out of whack. Then your body needs to draw upon minerals that are already present in the body (causing osteoporosis)
Osteoporosis (not the one in astronauts) takes decades to develop.
If the bicarbonate buffer systems are exhausted, you will definitely notice immediately.
What is your explanation?
Furthemore, if meat consumption is 'acidic', an average high intake of meat will averagely lead to more calcium being drawn from the bones, right?
IF that theory would hold truth, in western countries (high average meat consumption) average bone mineral density would have to be relatively low.
The opposite is true. In all western countries, bone mineral density is relatively high.
Please supply a reference, take it back, or admit its just an assumption.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Okay guys, I've been going for a 100% raw diet the last couple of weeks. Here is my report about those weeks:

I still had some blanched almonds left. I made some marsipan with them, by adding sugar and egg white. Those are gone now (I basically ate 500g of almonds in 3 days :o). I also eliminated cheese from the diet for a little more than 2 weeks now. It was indeed too addicting and I certainly do not need it.

Due to christmas, troubles with my family in law because of the way we (me and my girlfriend) eat now (raw food diet), we were force to eat at least the salad with them, which consisted next to a lot of raw stuff also a bit of steamed cashews and cooked maize and some commercial dressing. Man, wai diet and now the raw diet are really hard to do socially. You've got to be very convinced and very convincing that it is the right thing. But alot of people still don't respect it. After some very difficult situations I always managed in the end to stick through with it, because I can't go back to conventional cooking. That makes me feel sick...

I had some snack moments, where I coudln't find enough motivation to stay 100%. This occured after drinking some whine. Or maybe I took the wine to break the rules to snack attack. Well, the snacks I had were 150g of potato crisps. And 40g of pure chocolate. I also had a red bull and coke in the club. I enjoyed the red bull, but the coke was horrible tasting.

I have found that if I can find an excuse to not stay raw 100% and allow myself one tiny piece of something there will follow alot more addicting foods, because I can't quit. It takes 2-3 days of totally eating raw to get myself back on track. These 2 days are always very hard and I will tell myself: Yeah, but you can't start tomorrow again because today has already been messed up. Or: Does this mean that I can never eat potato crisps ever again?? Ah man, then this will be my last time. Or: But I'm so hungry and have nothing to eat with me and there is no raw food available! If I survive these days I can easily stay raw for a week. Then after a week I will aks myself so much questions about food and stuff that it gets really hard, but I manage to still stay raw. Then when I'm in a social situation where everybody snacks and I have a whine I will lose it, snack attack and the process repeats itself.

I have found that I really crave a salty snack, and it is this feeling that will often lead me to thinking: But there is nothing raw that is very salty on which I can get my hands on. Also adding salt to fruits is simply not an option.
I tried nuts to help me with this feeling, but I can't control myself with nuts, I tried hazelnuts, I tried walnuts and I tried pecans, all shelling them by hand but they will last me like 2 hours and then they are all gone. I get obsessed and eat nuts until they are all up. So... nuts are not really for me.
What does help. Is having egg yolks with some added celtic sea salt. What is extremely satisfying is heating up organic grass fed butter (less than 0.5g of protein per 100g) in a pan au bain marie and if it is molten pour it in a bowl and throw some egg yolks in it. Then add the salt. This dish really satiates all cravings at once. The problem with this dish is that I can only have it at home.
Then is the fish snack, herring is easy to eat here in the netherlands and it always is very good for satisfying my cravings. However, it is impossible if you want to take it with you to eat it fresh ;).
So I really needed to find something else, something that is easy to take with you and will satisfy these cravings too. That is when I found out about avocado and celtic seasalt. DAMN!! That is so amazing. Avocados only ripen if they have falled from the tree. And adding bananas in a paper bag and putting it at around 30 degrees for a while in my dehydrator will result in perfectly ripe avocados within a day! There are only little pesiticdes used. It ranks very low on the list that looks at the pesticide level after peeling and washing the fruits: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list/ so that also isn't a big concern.

Now comes the most beautiful fact: 4 avocados and 1L of OJ, 4 yolks a day and 1 herring each week and you've got every nutrient there is well above 100 %. Zinc being at 80% and calcium at 40% and manganese at 60%. This is now the basis of my diet. Together with red palm oil, olive oil, butter and coconut oil.

It also gives a very good protein quality, 70% of the calories coming from fats. 25% coming from carbs and 6% from protein. About 50g protein that is. That is the basis

My day looks now like this: I wake up and after jogging I have an avocado, every couple of hours I take another one. In the meanwhile I drink OJ. When I'm home I take melted butter with egg yolks and on some evenings (3 time per week) I also have a big salad later on with my girlfriend. Consisting mainly of roots, dried fruits and mushrooms. With things like spinache leefs or rucola to fill it up. I don't do eat this because of the nutrients, but because I like to 'cook' and take a moment to be grateful for the day and have a meal together.

I also drink carrot juice some times because I like it so much. Also pineapple juice is one of my favorites. So every week I will have 1L of these instead of orange juice. Also sometimes beet, to a much less extent. Pineapple helps with the manganese and is just so very nice tasting.

With the pulp from the oranges, carrots, pineapple and beets we make crackers in the dehyrdator. They become crispy, a mouth feeling I really desire alot and which is not available on the 100% wai diet. We use chia seeds, honey and ginger and sometimes a bit of cinnamon for flavor and texture. Chia seeds are very high in calcium and zinc btw. It is also a good treat to give to people and show them how damn tasty a raw food diet can be.

I do this mostly, because I don't find it appealing to throw foods that can be still eaten and enjoyed away. I also react very well to fiber now. It gives me no soiling issues anymore. In fact I have perfectly, mostly odorless stools these days.

I think that with the avocado and salt I can manage to stay 100% raw for good. No more christmas and social meetings for a long while in the new year!
dime

Post by dime »

Oh yes, avocado and salt is awesome. At some point I was eating bananas with salt, that was soo good too.
Now I don't use salt anymore and I don't seem to want it at all; probably because I'm adding the baking soda to OJ. Also I've noticed that adding salt to food makes me a lot more thirsty than if I don't.

Your thoughts are all valid, about the social "cheating" etc. I often find myself in such situations, and I decided to not stop myself if I'm really hungry and it's proper food. Although if you consider the Pareto principle, that 80% of the result comes from 20% of action, then it's very likely that even 2-3% cheating will still have significant effects.
fred

Post by fred »

I eat 2 avocados with himalayan salt daily and if feels good! I would eat more if I could but they are unfortunately very high in fibers.
Avocado are heavily post-harvest treated, so it is best to choose them organic when possible.

I will try one day the melted clarified butter and egg yolks. Already tried to add salt to egg yolk but didn't like it.
overkees

Overkees

Post by overkees »

This is my whole problem with the 'optimal diet' discussion: For every level of health, another diet is necessary. RRM, you are generalising alot and everytime you fail to see that.

What I'm trying to do, is to look at dangerous things in the wai diet that are far from ideal or 'optimal' for alot of people with compromised health situations. What we need to do is start to connect buteyko CP tests with the wai diet. And make several ideal and optimal versions of the wai diet. Like if you're beneath 20CP, eating too much sugar or fruit with high sugar (dried fruits) can really destroy your health and might turn people away from the diet. The last thing you want. Now you admitted you are totally for breathing properly, I hope you come to see how important it is to link diet with breathing.

I think, therefore, that below 25CP a diet with a lot of avocado, lemon juice with soda, orange juice (with optional soda), egg yolks, grass fed beef is soooo much more powerful than a diet with a lot of bananas and figs for example.

Also, a wai diet high in nuts for people with low CP is very dangerous, certainly if they are not chewing well.

So please, let's combine the wai diet with things like chewing tactics, and make several versions for different CPs. This has made me alot of difference for me and I want to share it with other people who are also struggling.
fred

Re: Refined sugar

Post by fred »

For me (below 25CP), the best diet I have found so far : 2 avocados, honey, fruit and fruit juices, coconut oil, fresh dates, meat, egg yolks, and seafood. No soiling as long as I don't eat nuts/bananas/figs/fatty lamb. Still have gas however.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Hey guys, I want to report back to you how my avocado journey ended and my new journey has started

Okay, I'm still experimenting with what kind of diet fits best. I'm totally raw, except for a bit of butter and some social occasions where I adapt. Every month this happens 1-2 times. I only eat the salad, drink wine. But sometimes there is a sauce or nuts in the salads that have been heated. So it basically boils down to ±95 percent raw. And I think organic fast growing spring grass fed butter with 0.5g of protein / 100 g of weight is pretty near raw too.

Sometimes I still get cravings for a croissant or potato crisps, but I am able to hold myself in.

So, my diet has been 50g butter, 4-5 avocadoes, 1L OJ, 50g coconut oil, 10g red palm oil, 3-4 yolks, 30g bee polllen, fatty fish once or twice a week 100 g per serving, OGF Beef 150 g every 2-3 days. Also every week 1L of carrot juice and some below 40 degrees dried cookies with chia seeds, pulp and honey in m.

Yes, I suddenly tasted a flavour in the raw parma ham that was so unpleasant.. I thought it was a 'bad' package. However after buying it 1.5 weeks later it still tasted bad and it was another brand. Something in there is not right. At least: not anymore. Maybe the nitrites?
So I replaced this with high quality organic grass fed ground beef.

Everything went fine UNTIL..

One day I just couldn't satiate my hunger with avocadoes. I had such hunger and ate +6000k calories on one day. 8 Avocadoes + 150 g of butter + 7 yolks + OJ + large amounts of candy + potato chips 200g + french fries 300 g + an afwul lot of mayonaise + 5 kitkats + ....

I also had feelings of being stressed out, palpatations in my throat, huge cravings for chocolate and potatoes. I came to my parents home and my mother, whom I learned about gelatin and its mind calming effects, served me 20 g of gelatin dissolved in a fennelseed tea. WITHIN 5-10 minutes I was totally calm and relaxed. I hadnt had gelatin for quite a while. Reading Ray Peats articles a while ago I experimented a bit with it. But after a discussion with dime about the glycine and proline contents of several meat organs I quitted that journey.
Now this blew me totally away. How could this have such a huge impact? So I started looking at some articles of Ray Peat again. And want to give it a try.

BUT... I want to do it the wai way. Now Ray Peats dietary advise boils down to: the largest part of total calories from fresh pressed OJ. A few glasses of milk. Some potatoes. Rotating with white fish, beef, lamb and once every 2-3 weeks a serving of oysters or shelled sea creatures. Also eating some egg yolk every few days. But... almost all meat is consumed with a bit of gelatin.
And, fructose is the prefered fuel, as this generates most CO2 and is involved with thermogenic processes and some other stuff.

I also want to minimize my intake of animals and egg yolks.

Ive found a somewhat gross tactic for dissolving coconut oil in OJ without any external sources of emulgators. So... the trick is to put CO in your mouth, dissolve it, drink some OJ, swirl and mix this. And spit it out in the flask of OJ. You need to shake sometimes, but it works perfectly. I also think that some of the enzymes might help with the digestion too.

Now, I don't like the gelatin as I don't trust it's raw. It is also again from animal sources. So I replace it with Bee pollen. There are ALOT of enzymes in beepollen that might also help with predigestion.

So, here is what Im doing now:
1,5 L OJ + 30 g coconut oil + 10 g Red palm oil + 30 g bee pollen + 50-300 g fructose
Carrot juice, one or two glasses every couple of days.
Herring once and sometimes twice a week,
Beef 150g with alot of butter and 3 yolks every couple of days.
2 yolks with coconut oil and honey every day.

Now, this is way too less nutrients... so.... I thought organic, sun dried, ripe, sweet cherry tomatoes. They have HUGE amounts of vitamins and around 100g would totally get me in the safe zone for all nutrients. Whatdya think?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It doesnt make any sense to me.
overkees

Post by overkees »

What doesnt makes sense?

I want to give Ray Peat a chance, just for the experience and see how things go. I have and had lots of hypothyroid issues, low heartbeat, low temperature, cold hands, sleeping problems, low blood pressure.

The low temperature and the cold hands remain a problem. Sleeping problems will come back if I don't do alot of running with nose breathing..

A lot of people reported normalization of the thyroid after being on the peat protocol. So... since everything is based on the hypothyroid idea with Peat. I just am gonna give it a chance.

Let's see if it makes any differences.
dime

Post by dime »

overkees wrote:And I think organic fast growing spring grass fed butter with 0.5g of protein / 100 g of weight is pretty near raw too.
why don't you just buy raw butter?
Whatdya think?
Sounds complicated.. and do you mean you'd eat 50-300g pure fructose of some sort??