Diet diary

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Diet diary

Post by dime »

Short and medium chain fatty acids are the preference.
Why, is there a scientific explanation?
Brain uses the only essential glucose I believe.
The eyes for example can only use glucose and perhaps a few other organs. Also it's essential for the production of mucus in the body, i.e. it's not just for energy. But yes in general it's accepted that the minimum requirement is 50 grams or so but it's not proven if long term that's enough when you also eat low-protein. In general those who do a keto diet eat a lot more protein.

Here's the chemistry of baking soda + some acids in OJ: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1893&p=29535#p29535
It really depends on the oranges you have, for how much baking soda is necessary. First I had some really sweet oranges, and only needed 2-3g of baking soda per L. Now I have some really acidic ones, and it seems like that is nearly not enough.
I can also testify that it really helps with the teeth, at first I was drinking it without neutralizing and it was terrible, both tongue and teeth were hurting and coated with plaque. With the baking soda everything is normal and under control :)
Always consume a small amount of carbs before eating animal stuff to maximize absorption.
Why/how does it maximize? I eat animal food with honey anyway, but I'm curious.
The silly part is that I have much more muscles now
I doubt, probably you have lost some fat so they are better visible now?
And I don't have any signs of energy deficiency as I would on the wai diet previously.
Hmm I have more energy than ever now that I'm following the wai diet, so that's strange.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:Fats should provide all the energy calories, except for the essential glucose related processes.
Why is that?
the body works better with alot of different fuels, like pyruvates, lactate, glucose and ketones.
The body will always do so, regardless of high-fat, high-protein or high carb,
because these compounds are intermediates, and a lot of conversions happen regardless of your diet.
Why do you want to obtain glucose from fatty acids instead of dietary glucose?
So forcing your body into ketsosis, by fasting for 2 days and repeating this every once in a while can really help your body to rely on fat as main source for burning for energy.
You dont have to starve your body to utilize the fats.
Simply decrease your carb and protein intake and increase your fat intake.
No need for fasting.
I would say that red palm oil is essential for the very very good vitamin E distribution
What do you mean?
I would also say spring grass fed organic butter is essential as it is not so expensive and provides alot of vitamin A and vitamin D
For the other B vitamins and minerals and the protein: raw egg yolks, raw beef, raw fish, parma ham.
Why butter if egg yolks and fish like tuna, salmon, mackerel etc provide all the vitamin A and D you need?
What do you need parmaham for?
I have even gotten bigger biceps without doing any exercise other than running.
Thats not possible. Its probably that your muscles have more definition now,
as the result of a decrease in bodyfat and/or water retention.
I don't have any signs of energy deficiency as I would on the wai diet previously.
Thats because you are now relying on spare energy (protein from muscles, fat and glucose from adipose tissue).
Your body stops sending the warning signals if you consistently keep ignoring them,
and hormones take over. (the survival mode)
I do get hungry, but it is optional for me to do something about it, there will be no consequences.
Of course there is. There always are consequences; whether noticed or not.
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote:
You dont have to starve your body to utilize the fats.
Simply decrease your carb and protein intake and increase your fat intake.
No need for fasting.
Fasting makes it much easier and you will know for sure you will reach ketosis. If you keep eating carbs it takes damn long, I know from experience.
RRM wrote:
I would say that red palm oil is essential for the very very good vitamin E distribution
What do you mean?
I mean that it provides a very wide variety of different vitamin E types and alot of other good things. It is not essential, but certainly healthy: it is from fruit.

RRM wrote:
I would also say spring grass fed organic butter is essential as it is not so expensive and provides alot of vitamin A and vitamin D
For the other B vitamins and minerals and the protein: raw egg yolks, raw beef, raw fish, parma ham.
Why butter if egg yolks and fish like tuna, salmon, mackerel etc provide all the vitamin A and D you need?
What do you need parmaham for?
You will get too much protein and your body will start relying on the protein conversion to glucose. It is essential to minimize this from happening. That's whats this is all about. It is not the standard keto diet. It is a protein restrictive diet too. WIth rigorous exercise to prevent the body into thinking it can lose muscles. The funny part is I only do running but am not losing muscles.
Again: by burning fats your body automatically spares protein.
RRM wrote:
I don't have any signs of energy deficiency as I would on the wai diet previously.
Thats because you are now relying on spare energy (protein from muscles, fat and glucose from adipose tissue).
Your body stops sending the warning signals if you consistently keep ignoring them,
and hormones take over. (the survival mode)
I have only noticed a little weight loss, around 0.5 kg in 2.5 weeks. If water retention would be the cause of my muscle definition this means I lost no fat at all. So it certainly can't be muscle loss due to protein burning. Im eating loads of butter and coconut oil remember...I trust my body will tell me how much I need.

Maybe the peaks are less high than on the high fruit wai diet, and please note that without carrots it is still a wai diet, but I don't experience any lows or drained feelings aswell. Even if I fast. Because the source of energy is stable.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Why do you want to obtain glucose from fatty acids instead of dietary glucose?
Why do you want to use fats for energy, instead of sugars?
overkees

Post by overkees »

Read my post again, the answers to those questions you are asking were all already in my original post
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:I believe the fat burning process is a very clean process, even cleaner than carb burning.
Are you referring to this?
If so, why is this a more clean process, given that both sugars and fats consist of the same atoms? (C, H and O)
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote:
overkees wrote:I believe the fat burning process is a very clean process, even cleaner than carb burning.
Are you referring to this?
If so, why is this a more clean process, given that both sugars and fats consist of the same atoms? (C, H and O)
Well, almost. I explained it just a bit further:
overkees wrote:I feel best on this kind of diet and I believe the fat burning process is a very clean process, even cleaner than carb burning. As it is intended by nature to preserve life by saving as much good substances such as glucose and protein as possible and getting read of unneeded substances (your body thinks that you could die from starvation). The carb based diet is bases on anabolic principles to grow fast, but I believe that there also is a flipside to this anabolic principle.
As I explained somewhere earlier. The first times you will try to enter full ketosis you will get headaches. Almost everybody that is. I believe this is an indication that something isn't working correctly in the body.
I also think nature intended periods of fasting to cleanse and detox the body due to the absence of interfering substances, alot of which you called antinutrients. It is not in its catabolic state so it can focus its energy inwards and start cleaning up the mess made.

The ketosis state will provide the ideal balance in energy needs. Very stable and easy. You are also not dependent of a constant supply of food anymore.

There are alot of studies about the benefits and cleansing properties of ketosis.

All the negative effects of prolonged ketosis are due to the use of proteins as fuel. And this is the point, you only need to ingest a minimum of protein. And still add carbs. Most people are limiting their carbs to 20g a day or even less. This is stupid as tis will force your body into ultillizing protein for energy. At least 50g I would say if I need to call a number but it's best to stay between 50-150g. Anyway, varying a bit can tell you exactly where you are. You want to make sure that if you eat 200g carbs one day and the other day 10g you won't get any troubles whatsoever because your body can manage it so good.

You will lose alot of fat in the beginning if you are overweight. But as I know from experience, you must try really hard to go below 8-9 % body fat. Your body will always give you signals. And you will munch butter (by far the best tasting fat) as a beast ;)

I must admit though that probably around 1L of juice of Oranges a day might be a good way to make sure you will get the minimal glucose. But the carrot juice provides more nutrients and less sugar, so you can consume more of it.
I think the apple cider vinegar is way to low in nutrients and I do not recommend it anymore. The lemon juice is still a good one. I am experimenting with some added molasses and honey.

I might've been a little too restrictive in my first claims. My new guidelines for this adapted wai/keto diet is: 100g of sugar on average a day.
dime

Post by dime »

overkees wrote:My new guidelines for this adapted wai/keto diet is: 100g of sugar on average a day.
So it seems I'm following your version, as I eat around 100-120g (1L OJ + 1tbsp honey)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

So it seems I'm following your version, as I eat around 100-120g (1L OJ + 1tbsp honey)
But you eat much more protein right ?

I'm interested in this kind of a diet. But I don't really understand why it would be healthy.
Do you have any good source to read more about this kind of a diet ?
The main thing I don't understand is this:
As it is intended by nature to preserve life by saving as much good substances such as glucose and protein as possible and getting read of unneeded substances (your body thinks that you could die from starvation).
I don't understand why it is desirable to let your body in starvation mode all the time.
To me it seems like there must be lots of side effects of being in starvation mode.
I think your body is designed to be only in starvation mode once in a while, right ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:I feel best on this kind of diet and I believe the fat burning process is a very clean process, even cleaner than carb burning.
In what way is it cleaner?
Any scientific explanation?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I think that commercial butter isn't raw:
Dairy products are often pasteurized during production to kill pathogenic bacteria and other microbes. Butter made from pasteurized fresh cream is called sweet cream butter. Production of sweet cream butter first became common in the 19th century, with the development of refrigeration and the mechanical cream separator.[11] Butter made from fresh or cultured unpasteurized cream is called raw cream butter. While butter made from pasteurized cream may keep for several months, raw cream butter has a shelf life of roughly ten days.
dime

Post by dime »

Kasper wrote: But you eat much more protein right ?
80-100g a day, it's not really that much, and I'm lifting weights in the gym every day.
It is well accepted I think that if you're doing heavy work a bit more protein than the recommended 0.8g/kg might be better.
But from next week I'll lower it to 60-70g for a few weeks to see how that goes, I'm still expermienting and need to find the optimal amount.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Well the spring grasshoppers fed stuff has around 0.6g of protein. So I think that if its not rawits it isnt a problem. Or i have missed something.

Tgerefore a good amount of vitamin e is good against lipid oxidation. Eating some red palm oil will do the trick.

To come back to cleaner burning than simple sugars: i don't think the process itself is cleaner, its more the same as high protein increases growth and theferefore also speeds aging, too much insulin will do so too. If you are doing Wai very strict and really have a lot of small meals this effect is probably neglectable but still I think this version would be safer.

It may seem so that I'm trying to convert people to this diet but.that's not the case: I'm just trying to have some new ideas that might lead to new insights. I'm the experiment myself.

Well kasper you're not really in starvation mode all the time. Just relying on fats as major energy source and only eating essential glucose. Maximizing nutrients is therefore important.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:its more the same as high protein increases growth and theferefore also speeds aging, too much insulin will do so too. If you are doing Wai very strict and really have a lot of small meals this effect is probably neglectable but still I think this version would be safer.
Only by overstimulating insulin, you will cause bad effects.
There is nothing wrong about insulin by itself.
Insulin, for example, also stimulates the uptake of amines in the brain for conversion into neurotransmitters,
optimizing brain functioning.
So, 'bypassing' the insulin system may not be such a good idea.
This essential insulin system has multiple functions, and labeling it as bad is not helpful,
and may prove counterproductive.
You pointed out yourself that you need to force your body into ketosis,
and i think that by itself should be a warning signal.
Just help the body in functioning normally, optimally, and dont force it to 'bypass' the insulin system.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Well, that's exactly the reason why I recommended taking some sugars before protein. Some honey is perfect.

It is not necessary to force your body into ketosis. It's just a lot easier to get into ketosis by fasting. The ultimate point is that if you switch between a full fat diet with essential glucose to alot of glucose and switch back into full fat again, without noticing any physical discomfort. This does not mean that you must keep switching but if it happens to be more convenient the transition will go smooth.

The more times I switched to ketsosis, the easier it got. And I think I'm now at the point or very near the point that I can manage to make a smooth switch. And everything is working as it should be.

If I were in nature and there would be no food for a day or two and I was eating a diet with lots of fruits (lots of sugars) it is just ridiculous that I would get immense headaches after a while. Or feeling terrible. Or any sign of discomfort. It would be much more logic that I would get a good stable source of energy that is going to get me my meals.

Alot of people report all these things that you would expect from such a state: a very peaceful state of mind. Very focused. And muscle preservation. And it is also what I experienced. This experience was after more than 2.5 day of fasting. But it was such a pleasant state that I want to be there permanently.

The fact is that in nature fat usually comes with protein too, although most indiginous people go for the fatty parts first it is stupid to throw things away. So therefore we can maximize the fat:protein ratio to the fat side and only eating essential protein.