Damned, damned craving !!!

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
Roman
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Damned, damned craving !!!

Post by Roman »

Since I've been on this diet a problem seems really insurmountable to me.
Its name is CRAVING, CRAVING FOR CEREALS, especially for BREAD.

Little less I crave for pasta or potatoes; neither craving for prepared meat nor for prepared fish or eggs: my real problem is about BREAD, HOT, CRISP BREAD (damned!!! :twisted:).

I guess Wai is absolutely right when she say "wheat contains powerful opioid peptides, sometimes 100 times more powerful than morphine".

I didn't believe i'd crave for wichever food this way, it is like to be drugged, or something very similar, and it is really unpleasant.

I just thought I had much stronger will.

My question:

Could Opioid Peptides cause a sort of dependence?
Are there researches about this?

(trad. for italians only: ma come c....o si fa a mangiare SENZA PANE almeno per un paio di giorni? Sembro un drogato in crisi di astinenza!!!)
Seth

Post by Seth »

I have been on this diet for nearly three months and I still get them every once in a while. It was far worse for the first two months. If it is really that much stronger than morphine, then the withdrawal may be as proportionately bad.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If it's any consolation, everyone gets cravings in the beginning, but they will subside after a while. Yes, it is really an addiction, and as such one has to kick the habit. I think keeping on the diet very strictly (no munchfoods) makes it easier.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Oscar wrote:If it's any consolation, everyone gets cravings in the beginning, but they will subside after a while. Yes, it is really an addiction, and as such one has to kick the habit. I think keeping on the diet very strictly (no munchfoods) makes it easier.

Thanks for suggestions, I'll try to do my best.

Maybe I'd have my breakfast, lunch and dinner ALONE. Otherwise it'll be a torment, a real torture. :(
nick

Post by nick »

I remember the first couple of times I did this diet that I would be sitting down somewhere and those addictive urges suddenly came to me. It was hard to shake those thoughts.

Sometimes it would keep me up at night.
Determination is the key.
johndela1

Re: Damned, damned craving !!!

Post by johndela1 »

Roman wrote: I guess Wai is absolutely right when she say "wheat contains powerful opioid peptides, sometimes 100 times more powerful than morphine".

I didn't believe i'd crave for wichever food this way, it is like to be drugged, or something very similar, and it is really unpleasant.

I just thought I had much stronger will.

My question:

Arn't you answering this questions about dependance yourself when you are saying how much you are craving this? or do you mean something else, like getting sick from not having bread

Some food may have things 100 times stronger than morphine, but I think they have to be in much lower quantities

Opioids and opiates when taken alone have a very noticeable effect and when you stop taking then after you have done so for a while, you get extremely sick. I mean to the point where you have a hard time getting out of bed to eat or use the bathroom.

When I quite bread, I never got withdrawl symptoms like that
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think withdrawal symptoms also depend on the specific effects the addictive substance has. The opioid peptides in bread (ic wheat) at least have a sedative effect on the intestines, so after quitting the digestion can be out of whack.

It would be interesting to know exactly how much opioid peptides are present in wheat and milk products.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote:It would be interesting to know exactly how much opioid peptides are present in wheat and milk products.
That is known; they are very small amounts.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It's kind of hard to envision the scale of the addictive effects of opioid peptides. Any idea how those effects would scale compared to heated milk/wheat and beta-carbolines?
Marty

quality of foods

Post by Marty »

A friend in Singapore, hearing of the Wai diet, mused that religious/cultural proscriptions against meat in certain areas might be part of an informed instinctive sense--

that is, a strong sense meat is 'stimulating' (via heterocyclic amines, in the case of cooked meat) or addictive.

Fruitarians also who espouse eating fruit and thereby not 'harming' a plant could in fact be responding to the body's signals to consume and intensely desire fruit, though they attach different reasoning to this. I had often felt these substances to be precisely this way, and it made sense hearing others' religious convictions regarding this: I was receptive to a sense of religious philosophy that coincided with a vague 'natural' feeling.
Last edited by Marty on Sun 21 Jan 2007 03:43, edited 3 times in total.
benzapp

Re: quality of foods

Post by benzapp »

Marty wrote:A friend in Singapore, hearing of the Wai diet, mused that religious/cultural proscriptions against meat/alcohol in certain areas might be part of an informed instinctive sense they are 'stimulating' (via heterocyclic amines, in the case of cooked meat) or addictive.

There are other reasons of course for these proscriptions but it would be interesting if raw egg yolks could somehow be seen as better, empirically and also by theory....

That is, if ideas of purity of foods, seen as their effect on clarity of mind and body, could be reevaluated by disinguishing between cooked and raw foods. The fruitarians who espouse eating fruit and thereby not 'harming' a plant could in fact be responding to the body's signals, though they attach different reasoning to this.

It is an interesting question.
Yet, but so many religions value passivity. Many eastern religions are very focused on heavy consumption of wheat products. Buddhists and Hare Krishnas come to mind. Those easter vegetarian dishes always have sauces loaded with wheat flour...
avalon

Post by avalon »

Roman wrote:
Maybe I'd have my breakfast, lunch and dinner ALONE. Otherwise it'll be a torment, a real torture.
I know that feeling so well! And Cravings aside, when I visit my Mother's house for a few days it's a real struggle to remain true to healthy eating. She'll turn her head and say "what about this?" Holding up a jar of jam. "This is healthy." AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! She'll stand in the pantry pulling out bags of chips and talking calories and all I can do is roll my eyes.

I too think of eating Alone :cry:
Roman

Post by Roman »

RRM wrote: That is known; they are very small amounts.
But they're sometimes 100 times more powerful (in wheat) than morphine, is this correct?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

That is correct.
Roman

Re: Damned, damned craving !!!

Post by Roman »

johndela1 wrote:
Roman wrote:
My question:

Arn't you answering this questions about dependance yourself when you are saying how much you are craving this?
No. I was simply asking:

Is it a REAL possibilty that opioid peptides could cause dependance, or this sensation might more likely be a hard problem of ending a habit about a very very common food (especially here in Italy)?