sunshine and teeth/mood

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
summerwave
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

sunshine and teeth/mood

Post by summerwave »

I live in the American Midwest, quite north (near the Canadian border)...

I spent quite some time this winter getting out nearly every day for almost an hour at midday, to catch the sun's rays...

It affects the mood, and I feel too the teeth; the health of bones and teeth.

My schedule for fall and winter later this year will not permit such easygoing time outdoors, so (it is summer now, and the sun feels fantastic) I did look around this week and find a place to get indoor exposure next winter. Some short sessions on a tanning bed will take the place of some of these outdoor sessions-- though not all.

It wasn't until this year; this past winter, that I could feel how important it is to get regular, good exposure to sunshine.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, the influence of daylight exposure is often underestimated. It has profound effects on the metabolism of several hormones/neurotransmitters.
summerwave

sun/winter

Post by summerwave »

About 2 months into the winter here, one notices people getting a little emotionally volatile-- a little unsteady in mood.

By about the 5th month of winter, this effect seems fullblown.

In the beautiful summer, everyone starts peeling off clothes even before the air temperature is really warm enough to sunbathe-- it's startling.

By summer solstice (just a few days ago), everyone is so relaxed and happy it is just staggering. Even when it's warm enough to swim, most people just walk around, in the sun, or sit on the sand, sort of dazed.

There are all the cultural historians who say that suntans became "chic" in the 20th c. as a way of advertising one's wealth and indolence: of not needing to work, and being able to afford to go out in the sun and "do nothing." I feel now it is more a case of people being able to afford to FEEL good (and thus enjoy themselves), when others (in the winter, in many climates) had to suffer in mood/wellbeing from the lack of sun exposure.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Another factor in mood can be (the lack of) healthy cholesterol. If people have to rely on sunshine only, it becomes more important if you miss out on that too.
summerwave

cholesterol

Post by summerwave »

Almost no one here, I sense, eats raw cholesterol; you are right.

Consideration of these factors is fascinating when you see it all played out...

As in many very northern climes, too, there us a quite heavy consumption of alcohol and stimulants as well, here, I think because of the lack of good feeling from sunshine/raw cholesterol.

This thread could be usefully moved to the "mental effects" thread, perhaps?
summerwave

cholesterol

Post by summerwave »

The diet here is heavy in cooked fats and processed meat like sausages, as well as fish that is cooked only.

The amazing thing (I heard this from someone) is that the fishing charter boats that go out on the Great Lakes take sport fishers back into dock to clean their fish; the fish roe are all discarded at that time (fish roe is VERY high is raw cholesterol)....

There are an unusual number of tanning salons here, given the small population, so at least the sunshine factor is somewhat compensated for during the winters. But I doubt anyone ever eats raw cholesterol in the 'normal' diet common to this area.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Easy to get fresh fish (roe) for you then. :)
summerwave

fish roe

Post by summerwave »

yes, I've made arrangements--

Apparently the Mississippi River paddlefish roe (not local to here) is heavily toxic with mercury, chlordane, and many other pollutants.

But the Great Lakes salmon and whitefish are considered acceptable now after years of declining levels of many contaminants; these are two of the kinds I can get here. The salmon are stocked yearly and do not reproduce successfully, necessitating restocking; I think they are said to be not too old when caught, and grow up earlier in controlled conditions (fish farms). I look forward to getting some salmon roe, particularly, right off the boats here.