Questions about Schizophrenia and stuff

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
joey18
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Questions about Schizophrenia and stuff

Post by joey18 »

From what I understand on the article on schizophrenia, it can be caused by chemicals in dirty food. How long does it take the brain to get rid of these chemicals, such as opiods and beta-carbolines? Could taking supplements of the chemicals that are being blocked treat schizophrenia? For example, Dopa Mucuna raises dopamine. Could that treat schizophrenia? And the article says wheat opiods can occupy dopamine receptors but it makes no mention of dairy opiods. Does that mean that dairy opiods will not contribute to schizophrenia? I know Wai feels that 5-HTP can harden arteries but can I see the evidence? Also, does anyone know what can help ADD or what causes it? Thanks.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Questions about Schizophrenia and stuff

Post by RRM »

joey18 wrote:How long does it take the brain to get rid of these chemicals, such as opiods and beta-carbolines?
That goes pretty fast. One just needs to make sure that no new ones enter the brain
(by not consuming cooked foods nor wheat- or dairy products)
Could taking supplements of the chemicals that are being blocked treat schizophrenia?
They do use such drugs, but that just makes one depend on those drugs.
the article says wheat opiods can occupy dopamine receptors but it makes no mention of dairy opiods.
They are basicallty the same, just less powerful.
I know Wai feels that 5-HTP can harden arteries but can I see the evidence?
All drugs have side effects, including taking 5-HTP.
I understand you would like to have a drug without side effects, but there is not such a drug.
does anyone know what can help ADD or what causes it? Thanks.
ADD is the same as ADHD, just without the hyperactivity, so that the influence of the stimulating agents is less strong,
which may be due to a lower sensitivity of the receptors involved,
or due to a greater influence of sedating agents (eg more wheat).
joey18

Post by joey18 »

Thanks. I'd also like to know if Dopa Mucuna would treat Schizophrenia anyway. Some say it's good and others say it's bad. Something interesting I found-

"A meta-analysis of the response to chronic L-dopa in patients with schizophrenia: therapeutic and heuristic implications.
Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004 Feb;171(4):365-74. Epub 2003 Dec 11. Jaskiw GE, Popli AP.
Psychiatry Service 116 A(B), Louis Stokes Cleveland VAMC, 10000 Brecksville Road, Brecksville, OH
While it is generally believed that administration of the dopamine precursor levodopa ( L-dopa ) exacerbates symptoms of schizophrenia, numerous reports suggest that adjunctive L-dopa may be beneficial. This body of literature has not been critically reviewed. On the basis of published studies, to determine whether L-dopa administered concomitantly with antipsychotic drugs provides a beneficial response in patients with schizophrenia. METHODS: This review examined 30 studies involving 716 patients. Due to wide methodological variability and limited statistical information, only five studies encompassing 160 patients could be included in a meta-analysis. The others were evaluated qualitatively. When L-dopa was added to antipsychotic drugs, the overall improvement was moderate and highly significant. There were 16 other studies in which L-dopa was added to antipsychotic drugs, but which did not meet criteria for inclusion in the meta-analysis. In these, worsening occurred in less than 20% of patients; the percentage of improved patients varied widely but had a central tendency around 50%. In patients already on antipsychotic drugs, the addition of L-dopa can be beneficial. Dopamine agonists merit further consideration as adjuncts to antipsychotic drugs in the treatment of schizophrenia."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Would you really want to take such a drug for the rest of your life?
Eventually, it may cause dependence as the body will try to compensate for the drug intake.
joey18

Post by joey18 »

Dopa Mucuna has been around for a long time. I've never heard that it's addicting. I'd just like to know if you think it will decrease or increase the symptoms of Schizophrenia. Thanks.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

joey18 wrote:Dopa Mucuna has been around for a long time. I've never heard that it's addicting.
I didnt say it has opioid-like addictive properties.
I was trying to say that when you influence a metabolism by taking a supplement / drug,
that the body will try to compensate for that by adjusting the production / secretion of one of the molecules involved,
or by adjusting the sensitivity of one of the receptors involved.
Then you become dependent on the drug / supplement that you are taking to maintain a certain level.
I'd just like to know if you think it will decrease or increase the symptoms of Schizophrenia. Thanks.
It may very well decrease, but it may also increase the symptoms of schizophrenia,
as it is usually dose dependent and different per person.
joey18

Post by joey18 »

Okay. But, do you believe 5-htp is bad for your heart? Can I see the evidence, if so? Thanks.