Body's inner clock, sleep & studying / Bates method

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
sula58
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by sula58 »

Oscar and Curlygirl, I also have so much excess energy now, except instead of at night, thankfully I am only "bothered" with it I wake up. I have found that taking a 1 or 2-hour walk (!) first thing in the morning helps to release it nicely.

Walking also helps me to gather my thoughts and get some enjoyable time to myself. Plus, I enjoy knowing that I'm emptying glycogen depots, burning fat. (And then I see someone running by with a pained expression on their face, and I want so desperately to have them read Wai's book--god, if only for the exercise research!)

Maybe, CG, you could try taking a long walk at night?
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

This is how I feel too! There's so much energy that I have to expend it somewhere. Even walking for hours does not seem to help.

I'm at the last stages of finishing up my thesis and I actually need a high level of concentration to make progress. But I've been a wreck since I've been on this diet (4 days). Any ideas to smooth out the process?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I think the walking is good. Seems like your body is telling you what it needs. Is your concentration any better when you come back from your walks and sit at the computer? It's possible that you've been too immobile recently...
Have a nice walk! 8)
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Corinne wrote:Is your concentration any better when you come back from your walks and sit at the computer?
Mmm not really. Not that I want to blame everything on this diet, but I used to have spurts of productivity (ok, not enough, I used to be ADHD), but now it's been zilt, zero. I am crucified.

I also feel like that I need a more violent form of activity to expend my energy, maybe punchbags or something. I never felt like that before.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Chin-Chin,
Are you in a hurry to finish up your thesis? Being in a state of wreck will only ruin your ideas even more. If you're not in a hurry, I suggest you take the next few days to relax and let you body release all the tension and adjust to the change in your diet. And after that, you will definitely be rejuvenated and maybe even come up with a better more bombastic idea for your thesis!

This period of being away and coming back to your task has been proven to enhance performance at hand. Cognitive psychologist calls it the incubation period. It works for me!
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Thank you huntress that's actually the excuse that I always give myself. I'm pretty good at procrastinating and haven't even needed outside validation to do so. I'd so love to take a vacation right now but I have to turn this thing in in a month and then I'll have all the time in the world to relax...

So I'm not in a hurry in the sense that my ideas are already laid down, and I just have the writing to do. But I really hate staring at the computer while my life passes away. It's so frustrating! I think I'll try to write in the park with pen and paper and see if that helps.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I think that's a good idea Chin Chin?
"Jardin du Luxemburg"?
:D
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I feel calmer this morning. I think I'm going to Butte Chaumont just next door. :D

BTW, are you still practicing colors? I've kind of thrown it out of the window, although at the time, it's really helped me a great deal. But I somehow can't get it going on my own.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Hey guys,

I just want to say that I made progress and finally did a detailed outline of my second chapter, and have started attacking it.

Huntress, I'm like you. I usually start getting really good work done from 10:00pm onwards. Sometimes, I even want to continue after 2:00 am, but I try not to do all-nighters anymore like I did back in college, because I'd really like to get up before 10:00 am.

I have on occasions been able to do good work in the afternoon, but never in the morning. The morning is for social and professional obligations. I try to set my appointments up early in the day so I can get up!

About study tips, I usually try to just take a few minutes beforehand to determine my goals for the study session and actually write them down. I find that it really helps me from straying off-topic, which is the worst thing that can happen to me. One thing leads to another, and pretty soon, I'm doing research on something that has nothing to do with my subject matter. Does that happen to anybody else, or just me?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Chin-Chin, glad to know I am not the only one! :wink:
One thing leads to another, and pretty soon, I'm doing research on something that has nothing to do with my subject matter
It happens to me ALL THE TIME. This was what happened to me a few weeks ago:

Was doing some reading about x-ray...and then to radiation poisoning...then atomic radiation...further readings led me to nuclear power plant.....proceeded to nuclear disaster....then went over to Chernobyl....next four hours was spent looking at video footages and pictures of Pripyat and Chernobyl.

So I ended up knowing more about Chernobyl than X-rays. HAHA!
nick

Post by nick »

I used to write down my goals for guitar and sorta meditate/focus on what I wanted to acheive with my practice sessions. I will stray from my homework. I think I will try your advice and write them down. Never thought of that. Good thinking.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I never used to be able to study for exams too long before the actual exam. I tried, but every time I sat down with a book on my lap, I just fell asleep... Usually I then waited until a few days before the exam, until I really had to start studying, and then I worked very concentrated and efficient. :)

Of course this was all long before the diet... ;)
huntress

Post by huntress »

Oh no Oscar!

I am ON THE DIET and I still do that!!!! :oops:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL!

Erm...welll...errr, I guess uhhh...sleep well?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I can't sleep! :?
Well I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep!
Oscar! It's called procrastinating! :wink:
But you don't know what would happen now because you're not at University anymore...
I wonder whether quick and smart people just can't get the high focus/intensity they need to work too soon before a deadline. Somehow they must know that they can do it in a short time and work better under pressure? I also seem to get more done when I have more to do and used to save things for the last moment.