Mental focus: ADHD, spaciness, lack of focus

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
Chin-Chin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Mental focus: ADHD, spaciness, lack of focus

Post by Chin-Chin »

Hi,

I thought about starting a thread about the mental effects of this diet. I admit that acne and weight are serious issues (even though Ive never had either of those problems), but I would definitely exchange any of those problems against the lack of mental focus that's plaguing my life.

I was identified with hyperactivity as a kid and then with ADHD as an young adult (back in the States). With different techniques, I am able to get myself to follow a conversation, hold down a seasonal job (when it really interests me), and do some creative work (when it's really compelling). But deep down, I always know that I'm only covering better my hyperactivity as I age, but not really addressing the root problems that cause me to underperform.

This is one of the major reasons that propelled me to go on this diet, as there is more and more talk in the medical field that ADHD can be diet-related. My experience on this diet is:

There is a surge of energy, a sort of general euphoria, but I don't quite know how to channel it, so it's making me even more restless. There's also a mental spaciness, that makes me have occasional memory slips (for longer periods of time than usual). Am I getting poisoned or going crazy? Should I be alarmed?

Have been eating fruits, olive oil, sashimi, egg yolks (2-3 on average) for the last 3 days.

Any thoughts about this?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I assume you've read the ADHD article (http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/ADHD.htm).

There are a few things to consider, I think:
1) Your body needs some time to adjust to the new situation
2) You need some time to find the right energy amount and balance (sugar to fat ratio) you need. Maybe you need more fats?
3) Going cold turkey on the diet, I personally think we shouldn't underestimate withdrawal symptoms, as our bodies have been used to addictive and toxic substances for a great number of years.
4) Usually people start with max. 1 yolk per day, to let their bodies get used to the bacteria...2-3 for starters could be a bit much, but maybe it works fine for you.

Make sure you eat whenever you feel less energized or hungry, and combine fruits with fats (olive oil). Most important: don't worry. :)
Justin

Post by Justin »

Chin-Chin wrote: There is a surge of energy, a sort of general euphoria, but I don't quite know how to channel it, so it's making me even more restless.
Chin-Chin...
Do you feel kind of a racing feeling, everything becomes sort of boring and you cannot really concentrate on anything.
It feels like something is missing but you don't know what and the only way out of this feeling is to do something you can easily concentrate on. Is this what you mean? This is a feeling i am aware of.
Let me know if your feeling relates to mine... thanks
Last edited by Justin on Fri 21 Apr 2006 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

There is definitely a strangeness you feel after starting this diet. It's natural that your mind should worry that something's wrong or at least something weird is going on. Don't worry. You're getting all the nutrition you need, and nothing that could harm you (anymore!). The addictive qualities of cooked food are amazingly strong. And the spaciness will go away (mine did), and I think it is from a lack of artificial stimulants (but be sure to eat enough!).

I started my quest for health because of depression, but I also recall an inability to pay attention and "be in the moment". This diet has helped dramatically, but sometimes, without all the artificial "buffers" running through my system, I often feel more exposed and vulnerable to the world. This diet is just one step in a long path of personal health and growth.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck

Post by Guest »

Justin wrote:
Chin-Chin wrote: There is a surge of energy, a sort of general euphoria, but I don't quite know how to channel it, so it's making me even more restless.
Chin-Chin...
Do you feel kind of a racing feeling, everything becomes sort of boring and you cannot really concentrate on anything.
It feels like something is missing but you don't know what and the only way out of this feeling is to do something you can easily concentrate on. Is this what you mean? This is a feeling i am aware of.
Let me know if your feeling relates to mine... thanks
Are you new to this diet like me? I've actually felt like that for two days (Day 2 and Day 3): having so much energy that I had to walk miles and miles to contain it. I wouldn't say that things were too boring for me, but they were definitely moving too fast, so a bit scary at times.

It's almost as if I have to conteract it either by overactivity or oversleeping (panic phase).

But today (day 4), even though I got up early with good energy, I was mentally lethargic and couldn't get any real work done. And then late afternoon, I finally got out of the apartment, and same thing - once I started moving, I felt like I had to continue, as if there's a momentum that wants to drive me towards until exaustion.

Post by Guest »

dadasarah wrote:There is definitely a strangeness you feel after starting this diet. It's natural that your mind should worry that something's wrong or at least something weird is going on. Don't worry. You're getting all the nutrition you need, and nothing that could harm you (anymore!). The addictive qualities of cooked food are amazingly strong. And the spaciness will go away (mine did), and I think it is from a lack of artificial stimulants (but be sure to eat enough!).

I started my quest for health because of depression, but I also recall an inability to pay attention and "be in the moment". This diet has helped dramatically, but sometimes, without all the artificial "buffers" running through my system, I often feel more exposed and vulnerable to the world. This diet is just one step in a long path of personal health and growth.
Thanks for the input. It's interesting what you say about the vulnarability issue. I just hope to be able to reap the benefits that everybody else seems to be getting from this diet.

So you think it's an withdrawal symptom from all the addictives that I have been eating? The weirdest thing has to be the memory lapses, where for several seconds, I just go totally blank - something that has rarely happened to me before.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

The two previous posts are by me. I forgot to log in! :P
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

HI Chin Chin,
Well...I havn't or didn't experience temporary memory losses (Oscar will say I don't have enough of to lose! :wink: ) nor these surges of energy.
But to me it seems like you might not be eating enough Olive oil with your fruits. Fat is brain-food;brain-energy.
Like your lemon-juice honey banana/egg yolk snack needs to be eaten with at least 2 tablespoons of olive oil mixed in.
Maybe this helps.
:D
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hi Chin-Chin

I guess it is due to the withdrawal symptoms because I recently felt that way too when I went into a withdrawal after stopping myself from eating fruits that are high in sugar (dates, figs). I felt very numb and blank for 3 days straight and could hardly concentrate on anything. If I try to pay attention, it would only last for 20-30 minutes then blankness.
I just hope to be able to reap the benefits that everybody else seems to be getting from this diet.
Don't worry Chin-Chin, with persistance and perseverance on this diet, you will very soon, if not sooner, benefit from this diet. Just so you know, I've been going 100% for 4 months and I feel like I am still adjusting myself physically and mentally. Some people have it quickly but not me though. I guess I am just slow...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

After being on the diet for almost 8 months I'm also still adjusting, so you're not slow huntress. :)
Corinne wrote:(Oscar will say I don't have enough of to lose! ;) )
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I'm beginning to think that maybe there's excess sugar in this diet, which is definitely not great for concentration.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The brain apparently uses about 150gr of glucose per day, which is quite a lot. But I think you might have to find the balance sugar/fat which applies to your activity situation. The more active, the greater the ratio (more sugar). For you maybe the ratio should be around 2:1.

Edit: But it could be a bit early to worry about these kind of things. After only a few days it's hard to tell. :?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:I'm beginning to think that maybe there's excess sugar in this diet, which is definitely not great for concentration.
Excess sugar would result in gaining weight, which is not the case at all with this diet.
Sugar highs and lows are bad for concentration.
Constant sugar levels are perfect for concentration. With this diet, you constantly replenish lost blood-sugar, so that its never too much nor too little. (if you do the diet right)

If you experience concentration laps, you need to fine-tune your energy intakes; lots of small meals, trying to 'listen' to your energy requirements.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Hi RRM,

I'm on the 8th day of the diet, and finally, I'm determined to start an energy/concentration log to see how I can improve both.

BTW, I saw in the old board that you can concentrate for 12 hours straight, is that still true? I so envy you!

Ok, what I'd like to know is:

-How quickly do we get a sugar high? I put raw honey in my blender. Then there's the fructose from bananas and oranges (I started blending them). Unfortunately, I do not have a juicer. Is that a major obstacle from the energy standpoint?

-How quickly do I feel the impact of egg yolks? I've had mixed results, so I don't really know how to interprete. I've gone up to 6-7 egg yolks a day. How do I know if I need more? Do you suggest spreading them out during the day or have them mornings and evenings?

-Being on this diet has made me less social because it seems troublesome to explain to people things that I don't even understand well myself. I'm also afraid to go out for a long period of time because I don't have any raw nuts or dried fruits handy (no clue where to get them raw, even though there are organic stores here). And I just started drinking blended fruit shakes now. I have to find a way to stream the whole process, and being so ADD, I just haven't figured that out :shock:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Hi Chin-Chin,
Chin-Chin wrote: BTW, I saw in the old board that you can concentrate for 12 hours straight, is that still true?
Yes. Actually its longer. So far its always that I need to do something (buying fruits, having to sleep enough hours etc) that keeps me from going on and on and on. The feeling is great though, i feel 'electric'; very fast and efficient, and inexhaustable.
Before the diet, it certainly wasnt the same. My concentration span was no more than 2 to 3 hours back then.
-How quickly do we get a sugar high?
It starts right after satuation; if you keep on ingesting energy once you have replenished what you had lost. So, its really up to listening to your direct blood energy requirements.
I put raw honey in my blender. Then there's the fructose from bananas and oranges (I started blending them).
How much energy is in there is not the issue. The issue is how much energy is ingested in one sitting compared to the amount of direct energy that had previously been lost.
You cannot put a number at any of these amounts.
Unfortunately, I do not have a juicer. Is that a major obstacle from the energy standpoint?
A blender is okay too, its just that its easier to always directly replenish blood sugar if the fiber level is lower (as fiber fills you up, somewhat clouding your sense for energy management)
-How quickly do I feel the impact of egg yolks? I've had mixed results, so I don't really know how to interprete. I've gone up to 6-7 egg yolks a day. How do I know if I need more? Do you suggest spreading them out during the day or have them mornings and evenings?
Can you please ask these Qs in the animal food section?
(I would have transferred and answered them, but im running out of time now...)
Being on this diet has made me less social because it seems troublesome to explain to people things that I don't even understand well myself.
Then you have got some understanding / learning to do!
I'm also afraid to go out for a long period of time because I don't have any raw nuts or dried fruits handy
You need to get yourself a citrus press/juicer; OJ (with added sugar/oil) really is most practical.