Mental focus: ADHD, spaciness, lack of focus

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
Chin-Chin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Chin-Chin »

OK, I'm finally able to make a testimony as an ADD sufferer.

I've been on this diet for about a month. There's still a lot to learn. I feel that although it does bring mental clarity, the diet does not address the problem of not being able to prioritize when you have ADD. So you can have mental clarity and still be ineffective. Maybe that can be addressed with therapy and coaching?

I think I need to considering adding more orange juice + sugar, because I feel that clarity mostly comes from sugar - I feel the most alert on bananas + honey, for example.

I still haven't figured out if egg yolks have an incidence on my mental clarity. But I definitely feel more blood circulation, which means that some of it is going to the brain?

Another side effect of this diet is that I no longer overeat like I used to, although the panic of not having enough to eat is still there. Where did I get this irrational fear? I've never gone through famines or anything like that...

All in all, I've lost my focus to continue this testimony. But I was trying to think about the symtoms of ADD maybe not as genetically-based, but more habit-based? Because even when I feel that I have the "potential to focus" as Avalon said, I don't actually do it. There's a lot of mental stimuli and it's hard for the brain to say: now you have to do this! This is the task at hand! I get sidetracked so easily...
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

I would say most of us have probably endured at least one famine during our entire spiritual history - meaning in a past life, if you believe in them. Even if you haven't, I believe even sympathizing with all of those who suffer from hunger or famine may be enough to trigger such a reaction in one's own life. Our thoughts and emotions are extremely powerful :)

~Amber
avalon

Post by avalon »

Dear Chin-Chin, this may be of interest to you. It may be too much sugar is the problem.
The vast majority of medical doctors consider Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) to be of unknown causes. Yet it's a known fact that the elimination of food additives and refined sugar produces dramatic improvements.
Here's an interesting add diet sample...includes fruits but warns against sugar.

http://www.oneaddplace.com/add-diet.php

http://curezone.com/foods/foods_that_kill.asp

I'm going to go out on a limb here as I have this deep down inate feeling that increasing sugar- adding sugar, is not a good thing. Maybe before you add more, try cutting back. Less is more kinda thing. Shortest distance- straight line kinda thing.

I know we're all individuals and every one has different needs, and I don't mean for you to do as I'm asking. I'm just saying when I read that you might add sugar to your juice the alarm went off.

Best wishes for all choices,

Avalon
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to hear about your improvements, Chin-Chin. :)

You might be right, that concentrating or prioritizing becomes a habit after a while, even when the original cause disappears. Another possibility is that it just takes more time. Considering the years you've lived with ADD, it could be a bit optimistic to expect a total change within just one month...

I have an innate feeling that Avalon's innate feeling is continuously being fed, by the millions of articles on the internet proclaiming refined sugar causes all kinds of diseases, and might even be the root cause of all diseases! :twisted: You'd almost start to wonder why the bulk of them haven't thought of a possible connection between cooking and disease... ;)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Cooking and disease is another story, hey, maybe the same story, it still doesn't change the fact that 'sugar' is processed and processed and why not eat REAL food instead.
"Sugar puts you on a treadmill – always wanting more. Processed sugar could even be called kiddie cocaine, because it's so addictive and changes the behavior of children (and adults!) easily."
Oscar:
I have an innate feeling that Avalon's innate feeling is continuously being fed, by the millions of articles on the internet proclaiming refined sugar causes all kinds of diseases, and might even be the root cause of all diseases! You'd almost start to wonder why the bulk of them haven't thought of a possible connection between cooking and disease...
My innate feeling is my own and I shared it. I believe as I do and until the pendulum swings in favor of sugar, well then, instincto is my name-o.

There IS a bulk of 'them' thinking about the connection between cooking and disease...It's all over the net. just as there is a small fraction now thinking about the connection between sugar and disease...

Believe me or don't. I never said don't be open. I wrote best wishes for all choices.

I meant it.

I feel a little ragged on. :(
avalon

Post by avalon »

Let me add the Net, the Web, carries sometimes, very valid information from many articles written in many journals and magazines...with important news. Sure some is fluff. From years ago to present.

One of those millions of articles fed me Wai.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Avalon...I BELIEVE you. Truly.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Avalon, I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't share your thoughts and feelings, not at all! :) And indeed the Web contains valid information, and also a load of crap. Discussion is good, it keeps us thinking about things. But after skimming through a number of articles about refined sugar, I noticed that there have been made connections with all kinds of modern diseases. And since sugars are very prominent in any diet, including the Wai diet, the connection is easily made.

Let me just list a few:
White Sugar feeds Cancer Cell Growth
Refined sugar intake and the risk of gastric cancer
Sugar and Aging
Sugar Is Killing Us!
Sugar can weaken eyesight
Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries
Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis
Sugar can cause hemorrhoids
And there are many, many more... :?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying refined sugar is good or bad, and I think it's good to discuss it.
avalon

Post by avalon »

huntress, Thank You. Where is the Emoticon with a beating heart?

It really can be difficult knowing what to do when there are a Gazillion Diets out 'there'. I do love the WaiDiet and it's simplicity.

To Quote Wai:
Brainfood is clean, pure food that contains all the nutrients the brain (and the body) needs, but does not contain any substance interfering with the normal action of neurotransmitters in the brain.

Brainfood is raw- and easy-to digest food ; fruits , sashimi (and other fresh raw animal food) and raw nuts (like unshelled brazil-, -hazel- or -walnuts, not -peanuts), because these foods contain no opioid peptides nor heterocyclic amines that can cause concentration lapses, apathy, aggression, stress, brain-damage etcetera.

Brainfood is brain-food because fruits and fresh raw animal food combined contain all the sugars, protein, fat, cholesterol, vitamins and minerals that the brain (and the body) needs.

If you want to keep your brains healthy, eat as much brainfood as possible. And if you want to munch ; just eat what you really love, containing the least protein.

When you are 'on the road', and you can't carry kilo's of fruit with you, always be sure to carry Brazil nuts and raisins with you. Of course you have shelled the nuts before you left. Brazil nuts and raisins together contain all the energy (fats and sugars) you need, not giving you the excuse to eat munch-food solely because you need the energy. See diet suggestions
This, speaks to me. Orange Juice and table sugar are not mentioned above.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Good Morning Oscar :)
And since sugars are very prominent in any diet, including the Wai diet, the connection is easily made.
One, I don't think sugars are very prominent in any diet.

Two, I don't question sugar from Food. Fruits, dried fruits etc.

Three, Here I go again :D

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~kel/LG2/#FooterMenu
AVOID SUGAR. Added Sugar is Evil. It is The Enemy. Excess Dietary Sugar is an Anathema to All That Lives
The single smallest change that we can make in our diets with the greatest overall benefit is to eliminate added sugar. The first benefit is an immediate and noticeable one. When combined with the recommendation below (to replace carbs with protein), we shed overweight pounds like magic. The second benefit is a hidden one but no less important. We recorrect our insulin response and dramatically reduce the risk of acquiring Type II Diabetes. Too much dietary sugar is the primary cause of weight gain, and by extension a key risk factor for diabetes.

So what do we mean when we say "added sugar"? First, it includes all processed sugar, that is, sugar distilled from natural sources. Something many manufacturers are doing nowadays to mislead buyers is putting ingredients like "evaporated cane juice" or "all natural citrus extract" on their labels. These are basically just ways of saying added sugar, but without using the word sugar. Second, added sugar can also take the form of foods naturally high in sugar. "Honey" and "molasses" are two good examples in this category. Third, and perhaps most subtle, is artificial concentration. Apples contain naturally occurring sugar and applesauce is typically partially evaporated, thus artificially raising the concentration of sugar in the final product. It is important to keep in mind that the source of added sugar makes no difference to its effect; most processed sugar ultimately comes from natural sources. From a sugar perspective, it's just as bad to drink freshly-squeezed all-natural orange juice as it is to eat sugar from a bag. It's the unnatural concentration of sugar in food processing that is harmful, not whether the source is "natural" or "processed" itself.

Why do food manufacturers even bother with all this? The reason is obvious but bears stating: sugar tastes good and sells more products. Adding sugar to any food product is a cheap and easy way to increase its taste appeal, and thus its sales and profitability. One of the most stable and profitable companies in the world is Coca-Cola. Their main product? Caffeinated sugar water. With their acquisition of Minute Maid orange juice around 1960 and their release of decaffeinated drinks they solidified their focus on: just sugar water. Even the Altria Group (formerly Philip Morris) adds sugar to their cigarettes. Here are a few other companies they own; notice the trend toward sugary snack foods? Sugar is big money and will continue to be added to food products because it is highly profitable. So added sugar is obviously good for food companies; is it any good for our health?

Added sugar is completely unneeded in our diet. There are six essential nutrients: 1) water, 2) protein, 3) fat / oils, 4) carbohydrates, 5) minerals, and 6) vitamins. Sugar is a form of carbohydrate; however, every carbohydrate gets broken down into simple sugar by the body, making any sugar that we intake unnecessary. The only reasonable use of dietary sugar is for the tactical, immediate regulation of blood glucose levels. That might apply to, say, a sprinter or vigorous athletes who dangerously deplete their bioavailable sugar; or alternatively, to diabetics who need to micro-manage their blood glucose and other people with similar medical conditions. I don't know about you, but those are categories that a) I don't belong to and b) I don't want to fall into. Let me even go so far as to make a bold, inflammatory statement that I'm certain I'll get sued for: there is mounting evidence of real health risks posed by the repeated excessive intake of added dietary sugar, specifically: obesity and diabetes and all the consequent problems they entail. So not only do we not need sugar in our diet, when taken in excess it is harmful to us. Sugar today is where nicotine was 30 years ago, and sugar manufacturers will bitterly protest that sugar is harmless, the same way that cigarettes manufacturers did. Too much sugar is bad for your health.

Drink Water Instead of Sugary Drinks or Alcohol
Enough harping; let's talk brass tacks recommendations. The primary source of added sugar in our diets is sugary drinks. So, we'll get the most bang for the buck by if we replace sugary drinks with water. That means: soda pop, soft drinks, fruit juices / punches, milk / milkshakes, and many artificial drinks (like Kool-Aid, Gatorade, et al). We also want to avoid alcoholic beverages because of their high caloric content (and other obvious reasons); they don't taste sugary, but they eventually become sugar in our blood, and represent a significant source of calories. In fact, if you remember only one thing from this whole page, it should be drink water instead of sugary drinks or alcohol. The increasing assortment of calorie-rich drinks we imbibe is single greatest adverse factor in our change of diet. We are becoming less what we eat and more what we drink every day. I personally know a great many people who eat very sensible meals... and sabotage their diet with sugar and calorie laden drinks. Drinks have somehow "fallen under our radar"; when we think diet, we think food, instead of both food and beverages. Drink water, and lots of it, and you'll be much healthier. [For ye true optimizers out there, drink water away from meals, preferably hot or warm; it helps digestion kinetics.]

Milk is a special case worthy of mention. Many Americans are surprised to hear that dairy products are a major source of both sugar and fat in our diet. We are brought up to believe that milk is the perfect drink and it doesn't even occur to us that there might be tradeoffs involved with its consumption. Milk is the primary source of calcium in our diet, and it is also the most readily bioavailable one. As such, it does indeed promote the growth of strong bones and do all the wonderful things we've been told. However, there are many other excellent sources of calcium that do the exact same thing. So, if you are going to drink milk, drink skim milk only and avoid products with added sugar (like chocolate milk). There are also other milk options available since people became aware of lactose intolerance. Most of the common types of milk (rice, soy, wheat, etc.) are calcium fortified, though sadly most brands add sugar to enhance the taste. The verdict on milk is: it does a body good, as long as it's not filled with sugar and fat. For men, target two (2) dairy servings a day, which can be one tall glass of milk, the milk in your bowl of cereal, or the cheese on a pizza. For women, target the same but take extra care to supplement your calcium with other calcium-rich foods. For older people, increase the target to at least three (3) dairy servings a day and take explicit supplementation like multi-vitamins.

Beware falling into the "fortification hype" that many food advertisers are pushing today. It goes something like this: "Vitamin C is Good For You! It is a natural antioxidant that the American Antioxidant Association says everyone needs! Orange Juice is plentiful in Vitamin C! So, you Must Drink More Orange Juice!" This type of rhetoric is invariably one-sided and doesn't show a complete picture of a product; how many bacon products have you seen that say: "The American Heart Association says that Cholesterol and Saturated Fat is the leading Risk Factor of Heart Disease! Bacon is plentiful in these Bad Fats! You must Eat Less Bacon!"? Virtually everything we eat has some small amount of something that is good for us, but that doesn't make a food healthy overall. Make food decisions on the basis of the complete health picture, including both benefits and drawbacks. The way to guarantee that we have enough nutrients in our diet is to eat a diverse variety of healthy foods. If you are really concerned about getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet, take explicit supplementation. Don't suck down gallons of sugary drinks in order to get them, because the huge drawback of bioavailable sugar well outweighs the benefits of exceeding your daily requirement of a couple vitamins and minerals.

Returning to the topic of sugar, another useful habit we can get into is to replace snack foods with fresh fruits. Just the other day I had a grape/cherry that was just as tasty as any snack food I've ever had! Fruits have a significant amount of natural sugar in them, so this strategy is aimed more at reduction than elimination. It also incorporates more fresh fruit into our diet, which is a desirable end for other reasons. Remember, sugar is evil no matter what the form; it's just that in the case of fruits, the several healthy benefits of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber outweigh the single drawback of sugar. (And we'll also see that eating the actual fruit, filled with cellulose and fiber, slows down the uptake of the sugar and thus dramatically reduces its damaging effects.)

As a final note, added sugar is everywhere and is difficult to avoid. Added sugar pervades even the most innocuous of foods, things that we might not even think contains it, like bread or peanut butter. (In fact, read the label of any processed food and you can bet dollars to donuts that sugar is one of the first three ingredients.) And sugar is the key component in most modern drinks that make them a) so incredibly tasty and b) so incredibly bad for us. So completely eliminating added sugar won't be easy; in fact, it's downright impossible. However, striving to do so reduces our intake to a more reasonable level, which is what counts. There are many obvious forms of sugar (sugary drinks, candy, dessert, and sugary snacks) that if we avoid make a huge difference in our health.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I don't agree with several things from the Website in the previous post, such as eat a lot of vegetables, because after reading Wai, I agree with her take that we are fruit eaters etc...except perhaps for occasional munch foods.

There is some good stuff there though, so take it with a grain of salt, or should I say...SUGAR :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good morning Avalon :D
avalon wrote:One, I don't think sugars are very prominent in any diet.
Yeah you're right, I generalized there. Most diets, especially if you look at how many people follow a specific diet (e.g. SAD), contain a prominent amount of carbs/sugars.
avalon wrote:Two, I don't question sugar from Food. Fruits, dried fruits etc.
Fruit contains sucrose, fructose, glucose. So inside the fruits sucrose is alright, but if we would take it out, then it would be dangerous?

From your quoted article:
From a sugar perspective, it's just as bad to drink freshly-squeezed all-natural orange juice as it is to eat sugar from a bag. It's the unnatural concentration of sugar in food processing that is harmful, not whether the source is "natural" or "processed" itself.
So, sugars from fruits are as bad as table sugar, according to this article.

Don't forget:
Remember, sugar is evil no matter what the form;
Better stop eating fruits! ;)
avalon wrote:This, speaks to me. Orange Juice and table sugar are not mentioned above.
From the WaiSays Brainfood article:
Or blend some fruits (or orange juice only, or tomatoes only)...
avo

Post by avo »

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment:

From our body's perspective, what is the difference between eating an orange + some added sugar, and eating a naturally more sugary fruit? If everything like fiber, water content, total carbs, and fat percentage is exactly the same overall for each food consumed, would the body respond/be effected any differently?

So, theoretically, one could 'manufacture' a fruit, combining some sugar, water, fiber, vitamins and minerals (optional). It may seem silly, but technically could our body tell the difference?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think you're right there, Avo. :)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Yeah you're right, I generalized there. Most diets, especially if you look at how many people follow a specific diet (e.g. SAD), contain a prominent amount of carbs/sugars.
I think people don't follow S.A.D. deliberately. More like random acts of picking and chosing whatever you want whenever you want no matter the cost- health wise.
Fruit contains sucrose, fructose, glucose. So inside the fruits sucrose is alright, but if we would take it out, then it would be dangerous?
Silly Oscar, so much time wasted taking the sugar out. You might have to hire people, buy machinery, OY! Put the fruit in your mouth already!
Simply, I'd rather get sugar from the real thing, even a slightly manipulated thing- like raisins...than refined processed white table sugar.

This quote just sounds scary, I have no idea about it's truths but...I'll look into it... :wink:
The chemicals used in sugar processing (phosphoric acid, acid calcium phosphate and others) are potent and health-debilitating. Sugar has a tremendous amount of carbonic acid which disturbs the nutritional balance in the body. Sugar robs the body of almost all nutrients, especially the minerals chromium, zinc and calcium, and vitamins C and B-complex.
http://www.blackherbals.com/ASK-Sugar.htm
So, sugars from fruits are as bad as table sugar, according to this article.
ehh, maybe :shock: I'll get back to ya on that
Remember, sugar is evil no matter what the form;
Better stop eating fruits!
You gotta have some fun. :twisted:
From the WaiSays Brainfood article:
Quote:
Or blend some fruits (or orange juice only, or tomatoes only)...
I believe you, but I can't find it :?: :D And then there''s the "Or"...