I felt my enamel eroding

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Al
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

I felt my enamel eroding

Post by Al »

Hi,

I've just started this diet, having been afflicted with acne for a few years now. Three days in (eating fruit and nuts and tomato/cucumber/avocado salad and a bit of sushimi) I literally started to feel my enamel eroding so resolved to consume less fruit. I had a constant feeling of sweetness and dread of the fruit and salad. I can't see how anyone can eat this much fruit. And I was eating a large amount of fresh unshelled nuts, olives and olive oil.

Since then, and for the last week or so, I have incorporated cured meat and raw vegetables (beetroot, turnip, carrot) but carefully avoided potatoes and other root veg that requires cooking, not to mention all grains. 8) This has made my teeth and entire body feel better but I notice my spots have got a little worse. :(

I would like to ultimately eat some raw meat, fish and egg yolks daily but hitherto have restricted my animal food intake only to sushimi, as up until a month or so ago I had been on (and off) antibiotics for a good year or two (obviously to little avail), and consequently want to ease into my new diet gently. I understand that raw fish has a good omega 3:6 ratio, but so does raw meat that has been fed on grass and leaves. So I was wondering, what are your views on raw meat? Is it wise to start eating raw steaks? Can you give me some pointers as to what I need to ask for/look for in the butcher's?

Also, where are you all getting your raw fish? I live in London and have been sneaking off to Yo Sushi for lunch every day but it's becoming costly. Would you advise that I go into a good fishmonger's, ask for a fresh fish, go home and eat it? How fresh does a fish have to be if one is to eat it raw? I've read that lemon denatures the protein, much the same way as cooking but without the heat. What's your view on this? Could it be a good way to deal with the meat as well?

Thanks!
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hi Al, Good morning from Florida!

Raw fish can get costly when having to always dine at a Sushi establishment. And my one really good fish market is almost an hour away. When I found the place, I thought it was worth the drive, then got lazy and now buy fish right from the local supermarket- But, look for the fresh and wild cues. If I can't find what I need I may turn to frozen, but as you'll see it ends up quite watery and flavorless.

If you're going to incorporate raw meats as well, which I do, there are a couple of things to think about.

Sally fallon recommends freezing meat for two weeks in order to kill any possible parasites.Aajonus Vonderplanitz says not to worry as parasites can be beneficial. I just watched a television episode where they pulled a an eight foot tapeworm from a girls belly- it was a drama- fake worm, but still a bit intimidating. There are many groups and forums talking about raw meat consumption. I've been eating raw Buffalo, fresh Veal liver and some red meat for about a year now. And, chicken as sahimi or marinated in lemon juice over night. So far no apparent problems and I'm not sure about the lemon effect on meat. Has to be better than cooking! My guess is the lemon may have beneficial effects as lessing the acidic tendency of the meat and a form of pre-digestion, but I'm guessing.

One thing to remember is though people have been eating raw meats like Steak Tartar and Kibbeh, like forever in various countries, you'r still very much a pioneer in this world of fast foods- cooked dead foods. Do some research so you understand the risks. Vonderplanitz has said that it took him years to finally let go of the notion that parasites or salmonella could be threats to our health. I've been eating Raw eggs now for a year and haven't once been sick. My Brother, from a place of fear will not go near raw yolks.
The same with sushi/sashimi. I've been eating it over twenty years and never gotten ill from it. The two times I've fallen violently ill over the last few years were from a bowl of Cream of Broccoli soup and a Wendys Burger!

I have always hated and I mean hated cooked liver! My top two hated foods of all time are cooked liver and lima beans. But I now like liver- RAW! Who knew! I do add a touch of flavouring from soy which is a munch food, but that's just me.

Good luck Hunting!
Best wishes,
Avalon :D
avo

Post by avo »

About the enamel, I noticed it too. But you just need to take precautions and watch for how things affect you. As a result to this day, my front two teeth have a little hardened plaque on them, as a result of not properly cleaning for many days. Any opinions on how to take care of this, or is this something a dentist needs to remove?

Ask around, find people who buy fish and find out where they go. Worst case just look in a directory and personally visit each place until decided on the best one. That is how I found mine, and I have been doing business with it regularly for several months now.

99% of the time the fish I get is fresh enough to last at least 3 days in the fridge. You have to be wary that sometimes certain people take 'shortcuts' in business, and try to get the most out of what did not sell the previous day. Get to know your fishmongers.

I want to eventually start having raw meat again, but I still need to work out the kinks relating to daily protein amounts. Beef tenderloin carrpaccio was my all time favorite: paper-thin slices of tendorlion on a bed of romaine lettuce, sprinkled with salt and drizzled with good EVOO. Slightly modify this and you get a Wai-acceptable version. I just need to find a high-quality meat supplier that can get natural/organic UNfrozen meats/organs, then I'll be set.

Yep, raw liver is pretty good (especially with yolks and some salt). I haven't had any for more than a year now... Where do you get it fresh, mine was always frozen?
avalon

Post by avalon »

avo wrote:
I just need to find a high-quality meat supplier that can get natural/organic UNfrozen meats/organs, then I'll be set.
I think that's why at the moment I'm trusting my Maverick Buffalo tartar, because it's hormone/anibiotic free and grass fed until the last few months of its' life. Sometimes i just go and eat raw supermarket beef DOHHH!!!

You're in Florida avo? I get mine at Publix. The Beef liver is either frozen or previously frozen, but the veal liver is always fresh. I've never had it with YOLK!!! Why haven't I? OMG that sounds really good so I may get some today! Thanx. I've had yolk with fish and even beef, just didn't connect it to Liver.
avo

Post by avo »

Yep, I'm in Florida. Where abouts are you?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Vero Beach 8)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think teeth, like everything else, need time to adjust and also grow stronger. Look for more info here: Teeth Thread
Al

Post by Al »

Thanks you two!

Avo:
99% of the time the fish I get is fresh enough to last at least 3 days in the fridge.

I'm amazed to hear you sometimes eat fish raw after it's been in your fridge 3+ days. It must be really fresh when you buy it. I was under the impression that fish is only good for sushimi a day or so after catching.

I'm sitting in my office, wearing a very bright Hawaiian shirt, wishing I was in Florida. 8)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Al wrote:I'm amazed to hear you sometimes eat fish raw after it's been in your fridge 3+ days.
That very much depends on the fish. For example:
Fresh tuna may last 4+ days. If it has bee air-dried first, even longer.
Salmon 3+ days.
Mackerel 1 day, whereas scallops need to be eaten that very same day.