Should I drink more water?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
jfk
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Should I drink more water?

Post by jfk »

Hi, this is a little excerpt from the nutrient calculator, can someone more experienced please look at it.

Your selection:
[Item 1] 20g (grams) of Pineapple (Ananus comosus), [1],
[Item 2] 125g (grams) of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum), red, ripe, yr avg, [1][2][4],
[Item 3] 125g (grams) of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus), peeled, [1][2],
[Item 4] 50g (grams) of Grape (Vitis vinifera), european varieties, eg Thompson, [1][2],
[Item 5] 50g (grams) of Olive (Olea europea), ripe, canned, [1],
[Item 6] 120ml (milliliters) of Olive oil (Olea europea), [1],
[Item 7] 21g (grams) of Salmon (Salmo salar L.), [2][1],
[Item 8] 28g (grams) of Chicken egg yolk (Gallus domesticus), raw, [1],
[Item 9] 500ml (milliliters) of Orange juice (Citrus sinensis), fresh, not pasteurized, [1][2],
[Item 10] 100g (grams) of Avocado (Persea gratissima Gaertn.), [2],
[Item 11] 30g (grams) of Watermelon (Citrulhus lanatus), [1][2].

Weight:.................................1181.57g

Nutrients...............................Quantity..............RDA

Energy..................................1719.25kcal .....2200.00kcal
Carbohydrate..............................80.88g ..............?g
Fat......................................151.87g ..............?g
Protein...................................17.22g ..........46.00g
Water....................................918.78ml .............?ml
Fiber.....................................11.97g ..............?g

I don't eat salmon, pineapple or watermelon everyday, but I divided it up for the calculator... :? you know what I mean.

I know the protein seems a bit low but I don't feel like more than this - 1 egg yolk seems a lot when I eat it.

Anyway, the thing I am most worried about is the water, it seems very little, I often do drink when I'm thirsty but I don't find water very thirst quenching. Should I make myself drink more?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Indeed, your protein intake is low. I would advise to eat one extra egg yolk daily (or some fish).
Water is no issue when you eat all raw foods; you dont need any water to drain away all the stuff (salt, spices, toxins, etc) that you need to drain away when you are on a normal diet. But if you feel like drinking more, no problem.
jfk

Post by jfk »

Thank you for the reply :) . One more thing though, If you do intensive sports is it better to eat a bit more before or immediately afterwards?

I only buy fish once a week and on a Wednesday I do particularly intensive sports (for me that is- I'm not very sporty). I could eat the fish the night before or the evening afterwards. Watcha think?
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

To my knowledge you need to eat fish everyday.

Make sure you don't create protein deficiency as this may cause acne.

If your having problems eating fish try a white fish (sea bass, tilapia) and add lemon juice. V. tasty.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
jfk

Post by jfk »

dionysus wrote:To my knowledge you need to eat fish everyday.

Make sure you don't create protein deficiency as this may cause acne.

If your having problems eating fish try a white fish (sea bass, tilapia) and add lemon juice. V. tasty.
Hmm, I thought I could eat egg yolks instead? Maybe ideally I could eat a little fish every day but that isn't very convenient for me. I could stretch it to twice a week. Although you are right I am very narrow minded in my choice of fish; I have only ever eaten salmon or tuna (mackerel once but I didn't really like it). I usually eat salmon because I know it hasn't been frozen, I can get it organic and it has a mild, delicate, oily taste. Whereas some fish just looks as though it might taste a bit too fishy! Plus I am sure the salmon doesn't have parasites. I am probably being unnecessarily cautious.

Yes, I like the idea of lemon on the fish but doesn't that cook it slightly? If you leave tuna in lemon it changes colour and looks partially cooked. I'm sure I read in the Wai book that marinating creates dirty protein? You could be right though, I'm really not sure.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You don't need to eat fish every day, just up the amount per day of yolks and/or fish. Ah yeah organic salmon is great :). Lemon does sort of pre-digest the fish, but I don't think it's harmful.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

I don't think using lemon juice with fish is harmful; it doesn't heat the fish.

Yes, of course you can use eggs instead of fish. I used eggs for six months but now the thought of eggs plus sugary OJ makes me gag. :lol:
Negativity is the cult of the weak
jfk

Post by jfk »

dionysus wrote:I don't think using lemon juice with fish is harmful; it doesn't heat the fish.
I'm sure you and Oscar are right - it's just that you don't heat egg yolks when you stir them vigorously or whip them up, but it still alters the protein structure and the book says not to? I guess I just assumed it was the same with fish, we don't eat smoked fish or dried fish, which isn’t technically cooked either but it is still structurally altered. Having said this as soon as the fish reaches your stomach it mixes with the acid there so I guess a bit of pre-digestion lemon acid is ok.
dionysus wrote: I used eggs for six months but now the thought of eggs plus sugary OJ makes me gag. :lol:
I agree, I couldn't mix the OJ with yolks directly. I just eat the egg yolk straight up. But for some people who get an icky sensation from the thought of raw egg yolk the sugar really helps them. Everyone has probably tried a bit of uncooked chocolate cake mixture, which has got egg yolks. I always remind non-Wai eaters of that. It's funny people eat hollandaise sauce (Eggs Benedict has got to be the most popular way of serving eggs) and ailioli but when you tell them you eat pure egg yolk they can't take it, they look sort of :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, also mayonnaise (officially) contains raw egg yolks. ;)
My girlfriend eats egg yolks with sugar and yes, many (sweet) desserts have egg yolks in them.
jfk

Post by jfk »

Oscar wrote:Yeah, also mayonnaise (officially) contains raw egg yolks. ;)
Lol :D ailioli is mayonnaise, homemade. The bought variety you buy here always says 'pasteurised egg/egg yolk'. As a munch food its still pretty low in protein though and v. satisfying as Wai said; it helped me conquer cravings in the beginning, but I don't eat munch foods anymore :) :) (Unless unavoidably forced, I am still apprehensive about telling people my exact diet, just can't take the judgement - cowardly? I know :().
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Aioli (aside from the Provençal dish) is a variation on mayonnaise, sort of garlic mayonnaise I guess. Wasn't really sure you meant that. :)
jfk

Post by jfk »

Oscar wrote:Aioli (aside from the Provençal dish) is a variation on mayonnaise, sort of garlic mayonnaise I guess. Wasn't really sure you meant that. :)
Lol again :D, I knew you'd correct me somehow. Did you ever see the advert for Nestle chocolate Smarties? The catch phrase was 'only Smarties have the answer', its like they were talking about you Oscar! (I now see you with a round chocolate head of all the primary colours :lol:)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL :lol:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jfk wrote:If you do intensive sports is it better to eat a bit more before or immediately afterwards?
You should bulk up on glycogen before (already starting right after the previous workout), and you should eat the extra fish / yolks right after the workout, never before.
jfk

Post by jfk »

Thank you RRM :)