I got salmonellosis soon after I started eating yolks

Challenges and trouble-shooting
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

It is certainly true that different species also differ regarding the susceptibility to all kind of micro-organisms, including bacteria, parasites etc. There are also micro-organisms that we are not susceptible to, but your dog is. Between species its not a matter of weakness or strength, but simply difference. Every strength is also a weakness.

I dont know what the kind of micro-organisms in fresh water are that can make you sick.
What i do know is that you can train your body regarding bacteria and viral diseases (hence vaccination)
johndela1 wrote:Can we become immune to things like ghirardia?
What is it?
I've read that dogs simply don't get salmonella.
You mean that they dont get sick from it? (sick as in fever?)
If a piece of chicken is heavily infested with salmonella, and the dog eats it, it will affect the dog; it will cause loose stool or even diahrrea.
The same is true for me; if the chicken contains too much salmonella, my bowels will get emptied. Thats all. I never tried chicken heavily infested with salmonella though... :?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:
johndela1 wrote:Can we become immune to things like ghirardia?
What is it?
I spelled it wrong... it is Giardia
Giardia lamblia (synonymous with Lamblia intestinalis and Giardia duodenalis) is a flagellated protozoan parasite that colonises and reproduces in the small intestine, causing giardiasis.

RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I have no idea whether we can build resistance against parasites...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I just see my dog drinking water from dirty sources, eating old raw meat she has hidden then retrieved and not showing signs of sickness. Maybe I shouldn't believe what I see on TV, but on nature shows they frequently say to boil water or there is a big chance you'll get sick.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont know how big a chance that really is. When i was in Norway, we always drank water from streams. It was delicious and never made us sick. But sure, there must be plenty of contaminated waters.

Your dog is trained. He always ate stuff from the floor and drank water that seems dirty, so his defense system is very well trained.
Scientific research has shown that kids that grow up in a 'dirty' environment have a better trained defense system than kids that grow up in a very clean environment.
Havas

Post by Havas »

RRM wrote:I have no idea whether we can build resistance against parasites...
Yes, but a tolerance rather than resistance. There is a school of thought that having (certain) parasites in the body is actually beneficial, as it's what the body normally (historically) has always had to fight. And without the parasites the body can sometimes turn on itself rather than the parasites.
Havas

Post by Havas »

johndela1 wrote:I just see my dog drinking water from dirty sources, eating old raw meat she has hidden then retrieved and not showing signs of sickness. Maybe I shouldn't believe what I see on TV, but on nature shows they frequently say to boil water or there is a big chance you'll get sick.
Consider that your dog has built an immunity from doing the very things that surprise you (eating old raw meat, drinking from dirty water) etc.
Havas

Post by Havas »

RRM wrote:I dont know how big a chance that really is. When i was in Norway, we always drank water from streams. It was delicious and never made us sick. But sure, there must be plenty of contaminated waters.
Here you can't drink anything downstream from animal farming, as animal feces/bacteria/worms are in the water. I'm sure you could get used to it like all the wild animals. But then again, they're all riddled with worms :D
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote:I dont know how big a chance that really is. When i was in Norway, we always drank water from streams. It was delicious and never made us sick. But sure, there must be plenty of contaminated waters.
You've been to Norway, RRM? Where in Norway? I live here, and certainly do not drink water from streams, unless I am in the mountains.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:You've been to Norway, RRM? Where in Norway? I live here, and certainly do not drink water from streams, unless I am in the mountains.
Thats exactly where we were... :D
I think it was called Skarvan, 'close' (the distances are vast, compared to holland) to the Swedish border.
I wouldnt dare to drink from more downward streams, as the more downward, the more polluted. But that water tasted really good. Really good.
Where in Norway do you live?
fictor

Post by fictor »

Ok. When I have been do the mountains I too have had water from streams, of excellent taste :)

I live right outside Oslo, the capitol city. Right now I am at my girlfriends
place which is actually in Oslo.

Where in Holland do you live? I am planning to do a trip to Amsterdam
sometimes. Do you live there, or not too far away from there?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, I live in Amsterdam, close to the center, and i work in a restaurant in the center (Rembrandtsquare). Let me know when you are in Amsterdam; i will buy and serve you a green salad and an OJ :)
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote:Yes, I live in Amsterdam, close to the center, and i work in a restaurant in the center (Rembrandtsquare). Let me know when you are in Amsterdam; i will buy and serve you a green salad and an OJ :)
Thats a very kind offer! :)

I will absolutely let you know whenever I get there. I am hoping it will be during 2009.
Gerard

resistance to parasites

Post by Gerard »

To revisit what was asked earlier--

Some naturopaths draw a distinction between a parasite and a "commensal":

If the host organism is damaged; hurt by the relationship the offending microorganism is considered a "parasite."

But if the host is not really damaged, the "foreign" organism benefiting from the relationship is considered a commensal. I think it is considered short of true symbiosis.

In any case, perhaps one can consider that commensal-type organisms do not have to be purged from the body, but those clearly hurting the body over time do.

Maybe we do not develop resistance to these, either-- because we don't have to; it's not a natural function of our body to waste our immune system on this.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I agree that normally speaking our immune system should be in optimal condition if we have regular contact with the prevalent micro-organisms. This means those in our environment as well as those in the food we eat.