Fruits price? rice? B12? sugar? veggies?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Fruits price? rice? B12? sugar? veggies?

Postby Rivera » Tue 19 Aug 2008 06:50

Hi all,

I'm new here.
I have few questions regarding the wai diet. Hope you could help me.

-It's recommended to eat many fruits, but i have a dilemma with this: first, fruits are quite expensive. Second, it doesn't give easily the "stomach full sensation". So it means, we really need to eat many for feel enough. And the more you eat, the more your wallet suffers.
Plus, i read that fruits are less nutritive than, let's say, 20 or 30 years ago.
So if we want to be sure to have a minimun, we really need to eat more! So how do you deal with this?
(Even nuts are quite expensive. Canned food, some meat, rice, pasta instead are cheaper)

-Why cucumbers and tomatoes seem to be allowed in the diet? They are vegetables right? Why are they different from other vegetables?

-What about whole rice? Do you recommend it?

-I read on your site that the vitamin B12 is found only in animal food, but it isn't completely sure. Some people say we can find it in some algae.
How about monkeys, how do they do for get it? They are like us, so i think they need it too?

-Why monkeys can eat vegetables and not us? They may have a belly, but they aren't bodybuilder either :) . We don't know if this belly is just fat or if it's because of vegetables. They seem in pretty good health though.

-You often recommend tuna, but tuna contain mercury nowadays. So why so much "insist" on it and "reject" vegetables? They aren't so bad compared to mercury? (I read once that fish in New York's japanese restaurant contained high quantities of mercury)

-Is white sugar a problem for health?

-As i said before, eating a lot of fruits is not easy because of the price, why can't we get help from supplements? For example, for fish oil, now we can find pills mercury free. I don't know about the heat process but between this and mercury, i prefer the consequences of heat process, no?
I don't mean taking supplements for having too much of something, but more as a minimum, even if low. It's cheaper to eat some fruits and add natural supplements than many fruits and no supplement. In supplement, we are sure to get what we need. Fruits, nowadays, not so sure anymore... Spirulina seems pretty good for this. It's natural and if you choose one good shop, pretty good quality supplement.

Thank you in advance for you answers.
Gerard
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu 14 Feb 2008 01:31

Fish

Postby Gerard » Tue 19 Aug 2008 14:37

The above has many good points that can be tackled one by one; for fish oil I just wished to say that it is -- even when bottled as a liquid, and not in pills-- oxidized enough by the time it reaches the point of consumption as to have lots of oxidized cholesterol in it.

I eat lots of egg yolks and relatively less tuna or other fish, but it is uncomfortable to do without fish too much for me. It feels good to eat it.

If we are living now in such a way that even water is polluted (somewhat)-- it is hard to say then that we don't need water, or shouldn't have it. Some things-- for our body-- we are just designed to eat.

So perhaps we should work within what we are designed to eat, and try to make those things purer..... Fruit, fish, eggs.... these are very basic foods. Can't we as humans ensure that they are safe enough that they are not absolutely detrimental to eat.........We should be able to.
johndela1
Posts: 968
Joined: Fri 31 Mar 2006 03:54
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Fruits price (and other questions regarding Wai diet)

Postby johndela1 » Tue 19 Aug 2008 18:25

Have you read the freeacne book and articles on the waisays.com website?
I suggest you read all the materials several times. There is a lot to absorb.
Rivera wrote:I'm new here.
I have few questions regarding the wai diet. Hope you could help me.

-It's recommended to eat many fruits, but i have a dilemma with this: first, fruits are quite expensive. Second, it doesn't give easily the "stomach full sensation". So it means, we really need to eat many for feel enough. And the more you eat, the more your wallet suffers.
Yes, eating healthy is expensive. I believe that the reason grains are at the base of the US food pyramid is for economical reasons rather than health reasons. I'm my expierince you feel hungry when you lack calories not bulk. If you eat enough calories in the form of fruit it will satisfy you.
Plus, i read that fruits are less nutritive than, let's say, 20 or 30 years ago.
So if we want to be sure to have a minimun, we really need to eat more! So how do you deal with this?
Can you provide a reference for this claim?
-Why cucumbers and tomatoes seem to be allowed in the diet? They are vegetables right? Why are they different from other vegetables?
they are fruits
-What about whole rice? Do you recommend it?
no
-I read on your site that the vitamin B12 is found only in animal food, but it isn't completely sure. Some people say we can find it in some algae.
How about monkeys, how do they do for get it? They are like us, so i think they need it too?
I think the stuff found in algae is a B12 analog, which can actually hinder B12 absorbtion.

Monkeys eat insects and some actually do eat animal prey.
-Why monkeys can eat vegetables and not us? They may have a belly, but they aren't bodybuilder either :) . We don't know if this belly is just fat or if it's because of vegetables. They seem in pretty good health though.
I didn't know monkeys ate vegetables.

-
You often recommend tuna, but tuna contain mercury nowadays. So why so much "insist" on it and "reject" vegetables? They aren't so bad compared to mercury? (I read once that fish in New York's japanese restaurant contained high quantities of mercury)
I don't think vegetables are a good source of food. If you were trying to survive and all you had were vegetables you'd have a hard time getting enough calories.

I don't understand why you are connecting or comparing mercury in tuna to eating vegetables.

-Is white sugar a problem for health?
I wouldn't say sugar is bad for health but rather too much sugar is bad for health. If you add sugar to something that contains oil and sip is slowly you wont have the same reaction as if you drank a glass of sugar water.
-As i said before, eating a lot of fruits is not easy because of the price, why can't we get help from supplements? For example, for fish oil, now we can find pills mercury free. I don't know about the heat process but between this and mercury, i prefer the consequences of heat process, no?
I don't mean taking supplements for having too much of something, but more as a minimum, even if low. It's cheaper to eat some fruits and add natural supplements than many fruits and no supplement. In supplement, we are sure to get what we need. Fruits, nowadays, not so sure anymore... Spirulina seems pretty good for this. It's natural and if you choose one good shop, pretty good quality supplement.
http://www.3.waisays.com/



Thank you in advance for you answers.[/quote]
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Re: Fruits price (and other questions regarding Wai diet)

Postby Rivera » Wed 20 Aug 2008 06:18

johndela1 wrote:
Plus, i read that fruits are less nutritive than, let's say, 20 or 30 years ago.
So if we want to be sure to have a minimun, we really need to eat more! So how do you deal with this?
Can you provide a reference for this claim?
Click-me, see at the end.

-Why cucumbers and tomatoes seem to be allowed in the diet? They are vegetables right? Why are they different from other vegetables?
they are fruits
I usually eat them with salad and carrots, do i need to stop these two? (i add Thousand Island Salad dressing too)
-What about whole rice? Do you recommend it?
no
Why whole rice is not good? If we eat few moderated portions, it can be ok, no?
Monkeys eat insects and some actually do eat animal prey.
But i think they only it them sometimes. Not everyday.

I didn't know monkeys ate vegetables.
I remember seeing gorillas eating plants, and it was not fruits.
I don't understand why you are connecting or comparing mercury in tuna to eating vegetables.
I am not comparing both, but i often read here that vegetables are not good, but tuna, instead, which is full of mercury, is advised. It's this thing which "bothers" me. Advising something dangerous, and rejecting something less dangerous (at least to me). It's like when i read that too much supplements can be harmfull but just after somewhere else i read we must eat many fruits. Eating many fruits bring many vitamins and other stuffs. So it can be dangerous too? You know what i mean?

About coffee, just one coffee the morning, it's not recommended too? Or can it be ok? (i can't take anything else the morning)
Thanks again.
User avatar
Oscar
Administrator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2005 00:01

Re: Fruits price (and other questions regarding Wai diet)

Postby Oscar » Wed 20 Aug 2008 12:11

Rivera wrote:-Why monkeys can eat vegetables and not us? They may have a belly, but they aren't bodybuilder either :) . We don't know if this belly is just fat or if it's because of vegetables. They seem in pretty good health though.
The diet of monkeys differs per (type of) species. Some eat mainly leaves, some mostly vegetables, etc. The digestive system of different species of monkeys also differs from eachother and from humans as well.
Rivera wrote:-You often recommend tuna, but tuna contain mercury nowadays. So why so much "insist" on it and "reject" vegetables? They aren't so bad compared to mercury? (I read once that fish in New York's japanese restaurant contained high quantities of mercury)
It depends on the kind of tuna, but tuna is by no means a "must". There are enough other kinds of fish to eat. Salmon for instance has very low amounts of mercury.
Rivera wrote:-Is white sugar a problem for health?
No, it isn't.
Rivera wrote:...why can't we get help from supplements?
A lot of nutrients we need have to be consumed in their natural chemical form, and cannot be substituted by a substance which "looks like it".
Read the supplements article for more info.
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8142
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Postby RRM » Wed 20 Aug 2008 16:06

rivera wrote:Why monkeys can eat vegetables and not us? They may have a belly, but they aren't bodybuilder either . We don't know if this belly is just fat or if it's because of vegetables. They seem in pretty good health though.
Its not fat, at all.
Its from gasses.
Each specie has its diet.
Animals that eat a lot of leaves / grass have bellies (like gorillas, which, by the way are more muscular than the biggest bodybuilders). They also fart a lot (because of the leaves that they eat).
why can't we get help from supplements?
We can, if we need it.
for example, if you cannot eat fruits, you can take vitamin C.
And if you cannot eat animal food, you can take B12.
But you can, so you dont need it.
And more is not always better; too much is harmfull.
But with this diet, yo
johndela1
Posts: 968
Joined: Fri 31 Mar 2006 03:54
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Fruits price (and other questions regarding Wai diet)

Postby johndela1 » Wed 20 Aug 2008 20:25

this is getting long so I'll just respond at the top

that link you provided about less nutrients in modern food is just there opinoin, I mean they don't say why they believe that (unless I missed that part)

You say you eat salads with dressing. Most dressing contains low quality ingrediets, I don't know what is in your thousand island dressing. I use olive oil for my dressing when I eat salads.

What are your goals? I follow this diet for health reasons, not acne.

I personally don't eat any grains as part of my regular diet.

once, again I don't know what your goals are.

if you are eating grains because you think they are healthy I'd say stop... if you eat them because you like them, I'd say eat then from time to time in moderation, but not as staple food items


Like I said earlier, read all the stuff on the website including the freeacne pdf book


I know you have a lot of questions. After reading that stuff, maybe you can post one question and we can solve it, then another. It is kind of hard to go back and forth with many questions and responses (at least for me).
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Postby Rivera » Thu 21 Aug 2008 06:54

The above has many good points that can be tackled one by one; for fish oil I just wished to say that it is -- even when bottled as a liquid, and not in pills-- oxidized enough by the time it reaches the point of consumption as to have lots of oxidized cholesterol in it.
Is there a way to get fish oil from supplements without having any change at the point we consume them?
I want to take only fish oil and Spirulina supplements. What are the rules for be sure they are safe?


About white sugar, it's human made, isn't? And we must eat food in their natural states as much as possible. So white sugar does have bad points?
The same question with orange juice we buy in supermarket, is it really ok?
Salmon for instance has very low amounts of mercury
I just found this about Salmon: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/ ... med-salmon
I don't really like Salmon. The only fish i like is Tuna :?
that link you provided about less nutrients in modern food is just there opinoin, I mean they don't say why they believe that (unless I missed that part)
Yes, maybe. But we must admit that exhausted soil, pollution, differents agriculture methods may affect food's quality? I can't find research in both camps but all these things with the fact that that fruits come from all over the world, they are available at any seasons, we keep them few days before eating them tend to believe they are less nutritive.
What are your goals? I follow this diet for health reasons, not acne
My goal is to eat clean and be healthy. I lift weights too, so i would like to gain so weight. But not so much. Let's say, a little more than Brad Pitt in Fighclub (i didn't like his pecs).

PS: I experience problems when posting message. Board is slow and sometimes i get the message "this topic does not exist" or a just a small icon on the top left. Sometimes too, strange pictures. Am i the only one?
User avatar
Oscar
Administrator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2005 00:01

Postby Oscar » Thu 21 Aug 2008 21:52

Rivera wrote:About white sugar, it's human made, isn't? And we must eat food in their natural states as much as possible. So white sugar does have bad points?
Contrary to protein and fat, sugar does not change its chemical form when heated. It'll still be sucrose (saccharose), which is glucose+fructose. Read more here: http://www.waidiet.com/twd-sugar.html
johndela1
Posts: 968
Joined: Fri 31 Mar 2006 03:54
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Postby johndela1 » Thu 21 Aug 2008 22:12

why are do you want to take fish oil suppliments and spirulina?

I get my fish oil from eating fish, and I don't know what nutrients you are looking for in spirulina, I don't think we evolved to eat algae.


I try to eat organic fruit that comes from land that has been fertilized with organic fertilizer. I've heard that organics have more nutrition than conventional, I dont' know if this is true, though...
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Postby Rivera » Sun 24 Aug 2008 08:30

johndela1 wrote:why are do you want to take fish oil suppliments and spirulina?
Because i don't eat fish, and for spirulina, it's a quality one.
Like i explained before, food may be less nutritive than before. Fruits and nuts are expensive, i can't afford to eat too much so spirulina seems to be a good one for get a little help.
I don't think we evolved to eat algae.
This, it's always hard to know. I may agree with you. But another part of me thinks the opposite: we eat fish too. It lives in the sea too. So why fish and not algae?
Is there a way to get fish oil from supplements without having any change at the point we consume them?
I want to take only fish oil and Spirulina supplements. What are the rules for be sure they are safe?
The same question with orange juice we buy in supermarket, is it really ok?
RRM, any advice/opinion on it?
User avatar
Oscar
Administrator
Posts: 4346
Joined: Mon 15 Aug 2005 00:01

Postby Oscar » Thu 28 Aug 2008 11:30

Rivera wrote:So why fish and not algae?
Because fish contain nutrients we need, and algae don't. Besides, it tastes much better ;)
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Postby Rivera » Fri 29 Aug 2008 13:10

Oscar wrote:
Rivera wrote:So why fish and not algae?
Because fish contain nutrients we need, and algae don't. Besides, it tastes much better ;)
Spirulina has many nutrients we do need: Click-me


-I like chocolate and i eat 2 squares everyday (black chocolate).
I know that you said chocolate is not good. But eating only this per day can be ok? Let's consider it as my munch food!

-I asked it in another topic but i will ask it here, does corn is allowed in the wai diet?

-What are your thoughts about black coffee?

-I see in your nutrient calculator that there is a lactose line. Why is it there? Lactose is found in milk and we do not need milk, right? So why including it?
Rivera
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:49

Postby Rivera » Fri 29 Aug 2008 13:23

I asked it in another topic but i will ask it here, does corn is allowed in the wai diet?
Oops, RRM did answer me in the other topic! It's ok then!
User avatar
RRM
Administrator
Posts: 8142
Joined: Sat 16 Jul 2005 00:01
Contact:

Postby RRM » Fri 29 Aug 2008 19:40

Rivera wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Rivera wrote:So why fish and not algae?
Because fish contain nutrients we need, and algae don't. Besides, it tastes much better ;)
Spirulina has many nutrients we do need
Even wood contains nutrients that we need.
That doesnt make it proper food though.
I think that Oscar meant to say that fish contains B12 that we can use, and in the desired quantities and in a natural package, whereas spirulina does not.
-I like chocolate and i eat 2 squares everyday (black chocolate).
I know that you said chocolate is not good. But eating only this per day can be ok?
If your skin can cope with munchfoods and you dont want to go 100%, sure, go ahead!
What are your thoughts about black coffee?
Burned beans?
Not so good, of course.
I see in your nutrient calculator that there is a lactose line.
Thats just because its pne of the many sugars. That doesnt mean we think that you need it, of course. Sure, we could also exclude it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest