Fruits price? rice? B12? sugar? veggies?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Rivera
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Rivera »

I have a little question about iodide. It seems that i may not have enough with my diet. Is it me or, compared to the other vitamins/minerals, it's harder to get the RDA?

It is said on the site that we can find it in egg yolks; but on the simple nutrient calculator, there are 2 egg yolks choices. And both are very different on the results. One does not have iodide at all.
So why that? Is it sure there is iodide in egg yolks?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The difference is in the source, 1 is the USDA and 2 is Souci et al., so basically US and Europe. Usually Souci has more information.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:I have a little question about iodide. It seems that i may not have enough with my diet. Is it me or, compared to the other vitamins/minerals, it's harder to get the RDA?
That depends on what foods you eat. When you eat seafish often, a relative lack of iodide is not an issue.
It is said on the site that we can find it in egg yolks
Huh, where does that say that?
check out iodide here:
http://www.waidiet.com/nutrients/foodpernut.html
Is it sure there is iodide in egg yolks?
Yes, but the USDA does not list the iodide contents of egg yolks.
Souci lists 11.7 mcg / 100 g.
(tuna contains 50 mcg iodide / 100 gram)
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:
check out iodide here:
http://www.waidiet.com/nutrients/foodpernut.html
On your link, they say it! :)
Maybe i saw somewhere else too but i forgot which page exactly.

The complete name of iodide is "Potassium iodide" right? Is Iodine the same than iodide?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

iodides are compounds formed with iodine

Potassium iodide, is one compound formed with iodine, but I would not say it is the complete name of iodide. Iodide doesn't mean one thing, it means refers to a group of things.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:
RRM wrote:
On your link, they say it!
Ha ha, I read: "It is said on the site that we cant find it in egg yolks"... (notice the t behind "can") :D
I guess i was expecting "cant" because when somebody claims that there is iodide in egg yolks, im thinking "yes, dah!" (=of course), so i read what wasnt there (the "t"), because i expected it to be there.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote: so i read what wasnt there (the "t"), because i expected it to be there.
human brains do this all the time...

it's a feature!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, isnt it fascinating? :shock:
Every now and then im in aw with how much my perception makes up my world.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

-How many fruits can we eat at once with no bad effect on insulin? Let's take in example the banana (high glycemic index compared to the other), how many can we eat in one snack (with no fat)?
And if we take fat with it (let's say one avocado or one teaspoon of olive oil), how many can we eat?

-Is cod liver oil can be used as fat like olive oil? In this case, can it be used instead?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:-How many fruits can we eat at once with no bad effect on insulin?
You shouldnt eat more than one fruit in one setting; its best to only eat as much as required to replenish lost sugars; just enough to make you feel energetic again.
That is the best.
Besides that, you can eat much more without any direct bad effects on the insulin system, as the insulin system is only impaired by many years of overeating (too much in one meal).
So, we are talking about what is best, and what is less good.
Regarding the insulin system its best to eat as many meals as small as possible.
Let's take in example the banana (high glycemic index compared to the other), how many can we eat in one snack (with no fat)?
If both your liver glycogen and your blood sugar level are really low, you may best eat a couple of bananas, but if its only 'going down a bit', then a few bites of banana may be adequate.
And if we take fat with it (let's say one avocado or one teaspoon of olive oil), how many can we eat?
The fat replaces the sugar; it doesnt allow you to eat more sugar. The total energy of the sugar and fat combined is greater though.
-Is cod liver oil can be used as fat like olive oil? In this case, can it be used instead?
It can be used instead.
Dont overdose omega 3 fats though; there is no need for, and it may imbalance the ratio between those omega 3 fats.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Let's take in example the banana (high glycemic index compared to the other), how many can we eat in one snack (with no fat)?
If both your liver glycogen and your blood sugar level are really low, you may best eat a couple of bananas, but if its only 'going down a bit', then a few bites of banana may be adequate.
So, when your glycogen depots are empty and blood sugar level is low, you could just as well drink as much juice till you feel your blood suger level is high enough again, right?
I'm asking because in the morning I sometimes long to have some more than just a small zip of juice.... A while ago I made it a habit to drink the juice of one to three lemons when I woke up, and this really helped. But now the acidity is to harsh on me I guess. It doesn't taste that good anymore. But any other juice would suffice I guess....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

RRM wrote:Yes, isnt it fascinating? :shock:
Every now and then im in aw with how much my perception makes up my world.
Yep, believing is seeing (not the other way around, as most people think). :)

Iris, I think that normally speaking your glycogen depots shouldn't be empty in the morning, but 1-2 fruits should cover the breakfast needs. One sip of juice doesn't seem enough to me.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Hmm, I don't know how it should be. But in my experience, in the beginning of this diet I have a greater need for sugars than later on. And especially when I awake/at diner time. At diner time is just psychologicall, I know for sure, because I then just "feel like eating a meal". But in the morning it truely feels like a suger low.... After some time on Wai I don't have this anymore.... Could it be my body uses more energy in the beginning to repair all the damage??? Just a thought.....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Could be, but it's a bit difficult to say without detailed data.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:You shouldnt eat more than one fruit in one setting; its best to only eat as much as required to replenish lost sugars; just enough to make you feel energetic again.
What is the minimum delay between each snacks?
Besides that, you can eat much more without any direct bad effects on the insulin system, as the insulin system is only impaired by many years of overeating (too much in one meal).
It's hard for me to eat just one fruit per meal. Usually, i take (among other things) one avocado and two bananas and one mandarin. Is this can be bad for the insulin over the years?