My daily diet

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Mrs. Shie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

My daily diet

Post by Mrs. Shie »

Dear all,

1) I would need to increase my protein intake due to some health issue, but here there are no Brazil nuts available and sashimi is too expensive; not an option. I am now having 4 yolks a day. What would you suggest?

2) I am having about 6~7 Tps of o.o. a day. Since I haven't lost 1gr of weight, (I consider myself about 3kg overweight) I assume it is enough. Isn't it?

3) I have been reading some of the old Acne Q & A Forum contents and the more I read the more confused I get. It says things like we shouldn't mix fruits with proteins, but I always add the yolks to the fruit juice. Or we shouldn't eat avocado after other fruits, but I always put it into the blender together with the other fruits.

4) If I eat until I feel full, then I also feel bloated. If I don't then I feel hungry. I wonder if I am doing some bad combinations. The problem is that I don't have freedom in the office to eat at odd times (not even chewing gum allowed!). Please check below if something is wrong:

My daily diet is something like this:

breakfast at about 8:00:
1 banana + 1/2 or 1 apple + 1/2 or 1 Chinese pear + 1/2 or 1 avocado
the above ALWAYS, plus something for good taste like
1/2 or 1 mango or
a big slice of pineapple or
1 guava or
some grapes (no seeds)
All these in the blender (I don't have a problem with acne), if it is too thick I will add some water + sugar. Then I add 2 yolks and 2 Tps of olive oil.

I don't eat anything else (and I don't feel like) until 12:00 or 12:30

Lunch:
1 fruit, usually banana or pear or kaki or pitaya
Then I eat some low protein munch food + 2 Tps of olive oil, to make it quick for I'm back to work at 13:00.

Snack:
I will feel hungry about 15:00, then I sneak away to eat maybe 2 or 3 passion fruits + sugar + olive oil. Later on I may sneak again to have the same as above: a banana or a kaki or a pitaya, etc. That will be all until I am back home at about 19:00.

Dinner:
Almost the same as breakfast, only that if I have 1 avocado in the morning I will not have another at night. If I had 1/2, then I have the other half; total always 1 avocado a day.

(oranges are available at reasonable prices only maybe 6 months of the year; not now)

I used to eat the avocado in salad with o.o., but after 6 or weeks or so, since 1 or 2 weeks ago, I started rejecting it completely. I would feel revolted at the taste of it. Then I decided to put it into the juice and it is OK.

I admit I feel very bloated after breakfast and dinner. In total each makes about 800cc ~ 1000cc of juice. But I have to make up for the juice I can't have during the day. I don't bring it to the office because by the time I am hungry in the afternoon it will be like 6~8 hours after making it. I wouldn't want the taste to change or the nutrients to be spoilt or oxidised.

I would appreciate so much some comments.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Hi!

I think you feel bloated because of the amount of fibre. When you blend something, obviously you don't remove any fibre, in contrast to juicing.

Nutrient loss is only minor. Oxidation is only possible when oxigen is available, I think. This is not the case (or very minor) when you put your juice/smoothy in a bottle.
Furthermore, with this diet you get plenty of all nutrients. So even if it would cause nutrient loss, it wouldn't be a problem.

When you want to increase your protein intake, why not eat more yolks? You can safely eat up to 20 yolks /day. Although I do think you really need some fish now and then. Is ALL fish too expensive? What about mackerel?

About the oil; loosing weight or not is not related to whether you consume enough oil or not. Loosing weight is about your total energy intake and requirement. So calories from sugar and protein are just as important.
And whether you consume enough oil or not does not depend on whether you loose weight or not. It is the ratio of suger:fat that is important. You can easily check this ratio by using the nutrient calculator.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sashimi is too expensive
I guess you were referring to sashimi bought in restaurants, or a take away, right?
Yes, thats expensive, but you can also buy many kinds of fish and eat them raw (check out the animal food forum) . You may even buy fresh raw fish, divide it in daily portions and put it in the freezer.
Since I haven't lost 1gr of weight, (I consider myself about 3kg overweight
Regarding losing weight (and for other reasons) its essential to split up your (rather big) meals into more smaller ones.
Why?
Because with every big meal, redundant energy (from fats, sugars and protein) is stored as body fat (and glycogen). In between meals this fat is re-used for energy. But you may eat again before this fat is utilized, because your blood energy level requires you to do so.
So, its much better to store as little fat as possible, so that little fat needs to be burned.
The smaller the meals, the less fat stored.
Eat just enough to fulfill your direct energy needs. No more.
Then eat again when your energy level goes down a bit. (dont wait too long)
confused I get. It says things like we shouldn't mix fruits with proteins, but I always add the yolks to the fruit juice.
Because its about fiber, its ok to mix egg yolks with oj, as oj contains little fiber.
In that respect, oj doesnt count as 'fruit'.
Or we shouldn't eat avocado after other fruits, but I always put it into the blender together with the other fruits.
It MAY be why you feel bloated (though you will definitely feel bloated when consuming a lot of fiber, which you do when blending whole fruits, indeed)
If I eat until I feel full, then I also feel bloated
You shouldnt eat until you are full, but until your direct energy needs have been met.
Secondly, its easier to strike the right balance (between eating and energy needs) when you consume less fiber.
I don't bring it to the office because by the time I am hungry in the afternoon it will be like 6~8 hours after making it. I wouldn't want the taste to change or the nutrients to be spoilt or oxidised
As Iris said; there is no issue if you keep it in a closed bottle.
Even after days it contains about the same nutrients (if it hasnt gone bad yet).
Mrs. Shie

Post by Mrs. Shie »

Thanks so much for all your advice. I find that after 2 months it is as if I am starting all over again. It seems I didn't get many things right from the beginning. I may have to re-read Wai's articles.

I am trying to make adjustments anyway. For one thing I have started bringing fruit juice to the office, if only 500cc for now. And I am trying to sieve more fibre out the juice also. I bought a juice extractor last month, but it is such a mess to clean that I hardly use it. I am always in a hurry to leave for the office in the morning and to get to sleep early at night...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

For most of us it takes a while before we arrive at the point where things work well, so no worries. I've recently put up an overview/in short article, which might help: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/inshort.html

If you mainly squeeze orange juice, I'd recommend a simple electric juicer.
Mrs. Shie

understanding

Post by Mrs. Shie »

Thanks so much for the help.

Last week I went into Wai's website and re-read most of the information there (except that for acne sufferers). I found it a little different, it is being updated. The website is much better. This time I could grasp the important points, which I had missed the first time around. I also saw that "in short" addition that is also very helpful. I thought it was written by Wai!

I completely identified myself with what he says: "On a non-raw diet, the stomach is used to react on physical pressure for sending the "enough" signal. It takes some time to be able to differentiate between a 'lack' of stomach content and the actual need for energy."

I think, in part this has been my problem. I also found that the way I was eating, 2 big fruit juices a day, was a sure way to diabetes. This weekend I experimented with different ways to eat here in the office. So far there are no oranges available at reasonable prices. I think I will just make a juice with most of my allotted 2kg. fruit/day and bring it here to drink during the day.

I have to do this also because I don't like the fruits if I have to eat it separated. I don't know why but now I hate the avocado by itself, and the apples and the pears. They don't go down my throat.

I also understand now that the yolk has to be eaten separated, with as little fruit as possible, so as not to mix it with fibre.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to hear. :)

Keep us posted. :)
summerwave

juicer brand

Post by summerwave »

You might specify the type of juicer upfront; it seems very important to the overall argument about damaged protein.

For example, a USD350 (350-dollar) juicer I bought was a macerating type; twin-gear; very slow processing of the fruit. I thought for sure it would not damage the protein.

However, after using it 2 years, I asked again about it on here and RRM said it was totally unsuitable.

So I bought a USD200 centrifugal juicer.

Since it is important to get the juicer type right (before being out almost USD600 with taxes) it might be good to have a footnote about this, though you are making the instructions very simple and clear at first for new users, which is good. Saying "simple electric juicer" might not do the trick-- it's easy to buy the wrong type, or have someone understand that to mean blender.
summerwave

juicer

Post by summerwave »

I mention this particularly because Mrs. Shie is in Taiwan, and tribest.com makes the juicer I used to use. It seems to be a Korean-owned company though it is based in California, USA-- I believe it is produced there; mine came with both English, Japanese-, and Korean-language wrapping and instructions, I recall.

It is conceivable Mrs. Shie would see this type of juicer for sale there. It may not be a problem, but as the single biggest upfront expense for many new to the diet, it is quite important that those behind the Wai diet specify a little more. I know when I asked about it, too, it seemed like the responses were a little vague about what to use. Yet it costs a lot, and is really important to the success of the diet.
Mrs. Shie

Re: juicer

Post by Mrs. Shie »

What is this thing about damaged protein? An acquaintance here told me something about it, but since I never read anything on the subject in Wai's articles, I didn't pay attention.

Is this an issue? I use a blender because I don't have acne problem, which is the only objection Wai's diet seems to have to blenders. Actually, the person who mention this to me, said that even juice extractors had the same problem because they also have blades. She introduced to me a juicer that uses mechanical pressure to squeeze the juice out without cutting through the fibre. But it costs 3 times more so I finally bought the centrifugal type, which I hardly use now.

Could some one clarify more on "protein damage" please?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Personally I'm using a very simple juicer:
€15 or USD 20.

Protein gets damaged by heat. Fast rotating metal blades get warm/hot and can therefore damage protein. So never blend egg yolks. The shorter the blending the better (less heat).
summerwave

juicer

Post by summerwave »

I see; for those unable to get oranges or unable to use them so heavily, another juicer might be required, though.

I am not sure if you considered this in coming up with the diet, but others may genuinely be juicing different fruits for a variety of reasons, and be unable to make do with a juicer purely for one type of fruit.
Mrs. Shie

Re: juicer

Post by Mrs. Shie »

Thanks for all the information. Now I seldom use the blender and changed to the juice extractor. I eat the starchy fruits whole. Actually I loved the bananas with yolk.

I have been in the diet for some 70 days now and so far haven't eaten a single orange. It is simply not the season yet. So now I juice apples, pears, pineapple, guavas, etc. and take 500cc to the office, beside some whole fruits to eat stealthily. Although I tell you that the juicer's manual says to drink the juice right away after made or it will loose properties. I don't know what to believe...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

@summerwave: I understand, and you're right about that, but I just wanted to point out that an expensive juicer doesn't have to be necessary per se.

@ Mrs. Shie: The manual is right, the juice will lose its nutritional properties over time, but that's okay. There will be enough left to provide you with the things you need.
summerwave

orange

Post by summerwave »

Of course; the thing is there is better success if you can try many things to see how they agree with you (in terms of juice)...

Also, if you do not live in a large cosmopolitan city (like Amsterdam) sourcing is a problem.

I live in a tiny American Canadian border town that is very cold. There is almost no possibility other than the all-too-short summer of getting ripe, suitable oranges (or tomatoes or avocadoes). Even the hydroponic Canadian sort suffer from ripeness problems, and are quite expensive.

So indeed unless one is living in a large place, or a warm one, (and there are many who would understandably fit that description), a non-citrus juicer IS a necessity. Even in other parts of the US, there is heavy reliance on California and Florida; 2 years ago both crops "failed" due to unfavorable weather in the US for their growing. Add to all that that some cannot take such acidic juice (teeth) or the sugars (mainly sucrose)--
I had to work around the basic prescription of orange juice in the diet. And I am sure it would be helpful to assume others must, too.