wai diet & pregnant

Challenges and trouble-shooting
NJfitmama
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

wai diet & pregnant

Post by NJfitmama »

Hi, I've followed wai's diet on and off for 3 years, and now i'm 3 months pregnant. I was really sick in the beginning of my pregnancy and the only things that made me feel better were egg and cheese sandwiches and bagels. Anyway, now I'm starting to feel better, and wondering if i can safely go back to the diet. I don't think i want to risk eating raw eggs and raw fish, so i will use my munch foods to get some protein. Any thoughts?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome. :)

In which month are you?

I think that the farther you are, the more careful you'll have to be. Nevertheless, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't gradually go back on the diet, including raw fish and/or egg yolks (again, gradually).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Really there is no risk in eating the raw egg yolks / fish.
Your defense system protects the embryo.
So, just gradually increase the intake of raw egg yolks / fish and you and the baby will be fine. By consuming raw animal food you are doing the baby a favor.

Did you know that maternal (cooked) beef consumption is a risk factor for the baby to develop brain cancer? (the most common type of cancer in infants)
summerwave

trimester 1

Post by summerwave »

In the first 3 months, apparently morning sickness is designed to prevent toxins from damaging the developing infant.

This is just a theory-- by an American researcher named Margie Profet.

In this time, vegetables, especially, are often repugnant to pregnant women-- plant foods one thinks of (in the cooked-food world) as wholesome and healthy. But anything, she finds, that could harbor naturally-occurring antinutrients is shied away from-- and that's what morning sickness is.

It is not a fully-accepted theory-- but I think her reasoning says that after that the infant is less susceptible to *those* types of toxins (she talks about). I think things like aged, molded cheeses, too, are unacceptable. Even a lot of proteins. THe simplest, safe starch-type carbohydrates or sugars are often the items gravitated to, or best kept down. It would be interesting for RRM to comment on this theory. I think I have spelled her name correctly.

She also hypothesized (correctly) that women living in close proximity eventually become synchronous in their menstrual cycles, due to (this is controversial I think) competition for the same males in their proximity (the body's response, not the voluntary mind's!) I am not sure where everyone stands on that research.
summerwave

M. Profet

Post by summerwave »

summerwave

women's cycles

Post by summerwave »

please note (i cannot edit to correct it) that the idea on women's cycles is not what Margie Profet hypothesized. Rather, she said that it is an evolutionary mechanism designed to discourage pathogens (from male contact) by shedding the uterine lining periodically.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It makes sense to me...
NJfitmama

Post by NJfitmama »

I'm 16 weeks pregnant, and just last week I started being able to eat raw salads and fruits again. It was very weird to me that in the beginning I couldn't even tolerate fruit, besides sour green apples. I ate like a bag of these a day. What I really gravitated towards were the processed carbs, which I usually stay away from b/c it adds weight so easily. I ate a lot of crackers, bagels, pretzels, etc. Now that I'm feeling better I am trying to eat more raw foods, but wondering what you guys think I should eat as munch foods if meats still repulse me, in order to get enough protein for forming a baby. I like fish once again, but raw not so much yet. I have yet to have beef besides in a lasagna or something (rare) b/c it makes me gag. I'm glad to know that there is a reason why my body is shunning beef. I will slowly add in the raw eggs soon. I started eating eggs over easy, and will eventually go to raw egg yolks. If I'm not trying to lose weight or get rid of cellulite (will be in 6 months!), will the egg whites harm me or the baby, or can I use them as munch foods? It's just a lot easier to eat, since right now I don't like mixing in eggs with my OJ. I prefer to eat them, and I use the egg white to kind of absorb it. Otherwise, I feel I'd have to use bread to dunk the yolk in.

Thanks for the input. That article is very interesting.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Separate the yolks from the whites. Then fry the egg whites. Once they are done, turn off the heat and add the egg yolks. Bon appetite!
NJfitmama

Post by NJfitmama »

By the way, any reason that cellulite gets so much worse during pregnancy. It happened with my first pregnancy, but luckily most of it went away. I hate how it looks through some of my lighter colored pants ! Yuk!!! Is there a particular food that I should really cut down on (breads, dairy, etc). I'm not trying to be 100% with the diet while pregnant, but if something is a huge part of cellulite, I'll work around it. Help!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

NJfitmama wrote:By the way, any reason that cellulite gets so much worse during pregnancy
Yes, more water retention.
Is there a particular food that I should really cut down on (breads, dairy, etc).
Its the hormones...