Taste for fat

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Taste for fat

Post by Thomas »

I have a problem in that I never really have that much of a taste for fat.

Often times I will never really feel like fat after eating fruit.
My problem is that I DO sometimes suffer from too much fluctuating blood fugar.

What would be the best solution to this problem? Less high glycemic fruit? (I do exercise, which creates a problem with energy)

Thomas
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Eat fat with fruit then?
michael

Post by michael »

I kind of have the same issue - I don't really feel like drinking OO all the time, even though I need to stabilize my blood sugar. Could it be the brand and taste of the OO (I've been using Zeta or Bertolli, since they're the ones that are available in supermarkets here in sweden)?

Also, I live in a dorm and don't really have any possibilities to juice my own OJ, so lately I've been buying ready-made juices that have been lightly pasteurized (how bad is this, btw?). These juices don't mix very well with OO, which is why I try to drink straight out of the bottle. Is this something I will get used to?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Michael
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Pasteurized=processed=heated/oxidized=bad.

Couldn't you buy a simple electric juicer and juice in your dorm room? Seems just as easy as making coffee or tea in your room. If there's a plug you can juice! :D

The Olive Oil will mix with fresh squeezed much better.

Have you tried the OO in the health food stores? Are you careful that it is indeed cold pressed/extra virgin OO?
You need to experiment with different ones until you find one that you like to drink.
Good luck
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I would also recommend buying high quality olive oil if at all possible. I cannot emphasize this enough, because after a while you will get nauseous consuming low quality oil.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Thomas, if I may ask, what constitutes high quality olive oil? Other than the attractiveness of the packaging (beautiful bottles and label design etc.), what else should we be looking for?

I understand that in terms of quality, the visual appearance of the oil - well, colour at least - cannot be used as a gauge of flavour etc.

Thanks,
James
x
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Check out this thread and also this one

The most important thing I have found regarding quality oil is the RIPENESS of the olives. Treat olive oil just like any other fruit, in that if you experience any sort of acidity or burning sensation in your throat, this is certainly not quality oil.

You should be able to sip the oil straight from the bottle without experiencing any nausea or ill effects. The oil should taste sweet.

Generally speaking, I have found oils from estate grown olives to be inferior... Probably due to the fact that they are 'mass produced' and just like mass produced fruit, much of it is picked underripe.
michael

Post by michael »

Thanks for all the information thomas. I followed your (and the other michael-guy's) advice and bought myself a bottle of high-quality olive oil for around €23 in a delikatessen-boutique, just to see how olive oil should taste like. To say the least, I was stunned by the difference to the €6 supermarket-OO. This one tastes really good, I have a smile on my face while drinking it :D

The other Michael said something about €15 per litre of olive oil as a benchmark, is this how much you pay for your olive oil?

Corinne, I guess you're right about the juicing, but I just cannot see myself sitting in my room and juicing oranges without a proper sink. We have a shared kitchen, but I don't wanna freak people out. Perhaps I should just swallow my pride and get out of the closet with my dietary habits :) . Just a quick question - how do you transport the boxes from the store to your flats/houses, by car? Seems a bit awkward to walk with a couple of boxes from the supermarket every day, no? On the other hand, I guess it's well worth it.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Taste for fat

Post by RRM »

Thomas wrote:I have a problem in that I never really have that much of a taste for fat.
What would be the best solution to this problem?
You could make sure to eat even more often; without the stabilizing influence of fat you would have to split all those already small meals in half, so that the glucose peak is half as high as well.
So, yes, you can do it without the fat, but that would require you to pay even more attention to your energy management. Those moments you dont have time to do this, you NEED to take the fat. (so, you choose)
rischott

Post by rischott »

Michael,
If the weather is nice, I walk 3 kilometers with a 10kg box of mandarins. I put the box on each shoulder for 5 minutes or so. Think of it as a semi workout.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You could also be proud of juicing! ;)

For me it's pretty easy, because my parents go to a wholesaler once a week, and they bring a crate for me too. :)
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hi Michael! :wink:

I used to live in a dorm room and it was a tiny room without a sink. I did my juicing in my room with a small hand juicer and brought it all to the communal kitchen to clean. It was tedious, messy and time consuming so I understand your situation very well.

However, even with all the hassles of juicing a bottle of orange juice every day, I did it anyways because the juice gives me all the energy I need when I have to be out in school for the whole day. Plus, I don't have to carry the extra weight of fruits in my bag.

To answer your question about transporting fruits, I carry about 6-7kgs of fruits on my back when I do my shopping. I don't have a car so my means of traveling are either walking or by public transport. I don't have the time to do this everyday so I do it twice a week. And I when I do my shopping, I make sure that I have enough supply, hence the 7 kgs of fruits I carry while walking 2km in the blizzard! It does feels awkward but fear not Michael because you will soon be amaze on how toned and muscular your biceps will be. 8)

I advice you to get a small hand juicer, they are cheap and the juicing is SILENT because you wouldn't want to cause any suspicions and wake your dormmates up with the whirr from your electric juicer!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RRM wrote:Those moments you dont have time to do this, you NEED to take the fat. (so, you choose)

How likely is exhaustion of the insulin system if I eat relatively large fruit meals without 'sufficient' fat to stabilize (regardless of whether I consume low glycemic fruit)?
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Hi, here's a site I found that has a variety of small-sized and pretty inexpensive citrus juicers that might be appropriate for your situation.
http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_ ... uicer.html
I want to try out the "mini citrus juicer" for 2.49(US), and I also am wondering how much juice the "citrus trumpet" would get out of an orange - that would be quite handy if it works well!

~Amber
nick

Post by nick »

How likely is exhaustion of the insulin system if I eat relatively large fruit meals without 'sufficient' fat to stabilize (regardless of whether I consume low glycemic fruit)?
Do you feel a sugar low afterwards?
Because what your doing is not safe in regards to your insulin system. In the short term you may not notice anything, but in the long term you will definitely screw up your insulin system. Besides, the fat adds some heavy-ness to the fruit.