About Eating Raw Meat; un-Wai?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
snowbunny
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

About Eating Raw Meat; un-Wai?

Post by snowbunny »

On the main page of this site, it states that raw meat (beef, chicken, etc.) is not advised on this diet, because raw meat has been irradiated, and is therefore not really raw. But, I see others’ posts about their eating (low temperature) dehydrated beef and such, and so I am wondering if there is unfrozen, non-irradiated, truly raw meat (beef or other) available somewhere (not that I would have to hunt myself, mind you), or if people are just going against the Wai advisement with the regular irradiated supermarket variety.
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
RRM
Administrator

Re: About Eating Raw Meat

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:I am wondering if there is unfrozen, non-irradiated, truly raw meat (beef or other) available somewhere (not that I would have to hunt myself, mind you), or if people are just going against the Wai advisement with the regular irradiated supermarket variety.
Truly raw beef is hard to find, in my experience,
but raw chicken, turkey, fish etc is not hard to find.
Originally, we thought that freezing was bad too,
but that appeared not be true (the error was due eating raw herring,
which contains both much salt (the true culprit) and is always deep frozen (no culprit))
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

So, do the regular supermarket variety of raw poultry and seafood count as truly raw, and are those all acceptable for straight consumption, or just for dehydrating at low temperatures?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:So, do the regular supermarket variety of raw poultry and seafood count as truly raw, and are those all acceptable for straight consumption, or just for dehydrating at low temperatures?
In my experience (and my skin is extremely sensitive), they are safe
and count as truly raw.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I am wondering about taste... you don't dehydrate, right? Raw seafood I don't imagine as being too bad, since I enjoy sashimi, but how are the raw turkey and the raw chicken? I am hoping dehydrating will be good for me to reintroduce some meat into my diet, and then later transition into just eating it raw.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:I am wondering about taste... you don't dehydrate, right?
Sometimes i do, if the tuna's taste is very bland,
and if i have lots of it.
how are the raw turkey and the raw chicken?
They both taste good to me, and i never tried to dehydrate them.
I actually doubt that dehydrated turkey or chicken will taste any good at all.
I am hoping dehydrating will be good for me to reintroduce some meat into my diet, and then later transition into just eating it raw.
If you like sashimi, you will probably like raw turkey too.
Its quite similar to white fish like tilapia, to me.
Just try it, no?
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I will try it; we actually have some frozen turkey here.
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:
I am hoping dehydrating will be good for me to reintroduce some meat into my diet, and then later transition into just eating it raw.
If you like sashimi, you will probably like raw turkey too.
Its quite similar to white fish like tilapia, to me.
Just try it, no?
I had some raw turkey this week. It's pretty good indeed. A bit sweet tasting, I don't know how to better describe it. Personally, I like it better than whitbait (which makes me nauseous, so that's not very surprising :lol: )
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

It's actually chicken breast that we have frozen here, not turkey. But, I am defrosting it, and will eat some later, probably with some yolk. I am a little apprehensive, I will admit. But, if doing something scares you, it usually means you have to do it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

hmm, i think that will taste very, very bland...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I just had raw alligator meat. (from the chef in the restaurant where i work;
it was one of the ingredients in his private Christmas dinner)
Its actually not bad; a bit between tilapia and chicken, with almost the toughness of beef.
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

Oh, my...! Where did he get alligator meat? You know, I still have yet to try any other raw meat. Eating the chicken did not work out for me the other day, as I ended up doing something else for dinner at the last minute. I did not "feel" like chicken after that day, and so I am just waiting until I do "feel" like eating it, or turkey.

What kind of restaurant do you work at? Is it casual, upscale? What kind of food is served there?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

snowbunny wrote:Oh, my...! Where did he get alligator meat?
From the wholesale supplier; any restaurant can get it.
so I am just waiting until I do "feel" like eating it, or turkey.
Exactly; no need to rush.
What kind of restaurant do you work at? Is it casual, upscale? What kind of food is served there?
Casual; people also just grab a coffee and read a newspaper here.
There is no dining section and you can just drink something, or eat a toasted sandwich or a 4 course meal or whatever, wherever.
We serve all kinds of beverages (alcohol, juice etc), sandwiches, croissant, hamburger, chicken sate, salads, soups, cakes, etc, but also main courses like tender beef, chicken teriyaki, etc), starters (carpaccio, warm goat cheese etc) and deserts (mini pancakes, icecream etc).