New York City!

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Corinne
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

New York City!

Post by Corinne »

Hello dear fellow Waiers...

I just left Amsterdam and have arrived in NYC...
Having a bit of culture shock especially in the supermarkets!!!

I'm trying to get my bearings here and am hunting for fruits in this jungle of streets, cars and skyscrapers...
Are there any other Wai people living in NY right now? if yes your tips are welcome and it'd be fun to meet!

Today I was happy because I talked with the produce manager of the store just downstairs from my apartment and I can have a crate of oranges delivered to my house once a week for 28$. A crate has 100 oranges and will last me just over a week...Not bad. Plus the oranges are very similar to the Cubanitas, maybe they are the same variety in fact except they come from Florida.
Juice oranges typically cost between 0,33 cents to 1$ per orange! So this is a little bargain...
Avocados are between 1 and 2$ each.
Produce is in general not that good quality (never ripe, but this is also a bit true in NL) and there is not much variety. For instance yellow kiwis cannot be found here. Actually I haven't seen them in France either...Maybe it's a Dutch thing!
One can tell that people do not eat that much fruit and therefore do not demand the best! So much more energy is spent on different kinds of chips, sodas and especially prepared or frozen meals or ready made fruit or vegetable salads...

Finding good fish is more of a challenge. A Jewish kosher store on the upper west side near my sister's place has good fish, eggs and meat, just I haven't found one near me yet.

hope everyone in the Netherlands survived and/or had a nice Queens Day!
:D
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
gianni

Post by gianni »

Where in NYC are you? I can't believe that you found oranges at 100 for $28! That's great! Have you gone to a Whole Foods market yet? They are expensive, but they carry good quality fish. There are quite a few little cafes and take outs that sell raw juices, if you need food while you're out. How long are you going to be there?

Betsy
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I'm in Stuyvesant town for the moment. On east 14th street.
The plan is to settle here, at least for a while. To set myself up as an Alexander Technique teacher, and build my own practice up.
I know Whole Foods, and yes it's better quality but pricey.
how is their fish?
So are you also in NYC? How long have you been on the diet?
F.M. Alexander
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

oops sorry I didn't read properly about Whole foods having good fish.
I'm going to check out the farmers market on Union sq. tomorrow. there's also a Whole Foods there so I'll probably get some fish as well.
F.M. Alexander
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Yesterday I went to 'farmers market' on Union Square.
The farmers market is a market like the ones we have in Europe. Local (usually organic) farmers come to the city once a week to sel their produce.
I bought some nice apples, some honey, eggs and some fresh Fluke. A white fish...is it what we call "baars" in dutch? It tasted a bit like it but not quite, less good actually, less taste.
In some months there will probably be more fruit, but right now it's a bit early I think. there were lots of veggies and greens and cheeses of course.
Also of interest was buffalo meat and wild game! Didn't buy any yet but might at some point. curious!
F.M. Alexander
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Corinne wrote:... and some fresh Fluke. A white fish...is it what we call "baars" in dutch?
Baars is sea bass, or freshwater bass.
I dont know any fish called 'fluke'.
a fluke is a parasite (flatworm) though, but i guess thats not what you bought ;D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

A fluke is also called flounder, a flat fish. In dutch it's called 'bot'.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

:o to RRM!
No I did not buy or eat a flateworm! :D

Thanks Oscar.
It didn't have that much taste...

Can we eat fresh water Bass?

I bought fresh Spanish Mackerel the other day at Whole Foods. It was delicious!
They also sell 3 varieties of Salmon:
-farmed norwegian (no antibiotics, but added color and diet unsure) the cheapest. Tastes fine.
-Wild Alaskan Sokeye salmon (dark pink in color, not very fatty) which has always been frozen before (not anymore when sold); bit more pricey. I like it less, because less fatty.
-a twice more expensive farmed kind (called organic). Have not tried yet. looks good...
Whole Foods is from what I have found so far the only place that has good fresh fish in NYC.
it's funny for a city bordering the Atlantic...you would think there would be more markets...maybe I need to do more homework!
Will keep you posted! ;)

it's crazy, so few people eat fresh food here (even if they cook it anyway). The demand for healthy quality seems less. Everything is prepared and frozen...people here want the food to be very sanitary and perfect looking, they aren't really concerned if it's 'real food' or not.

Of course lots of people are becoming more conscientious too.
Another thing is the fruits are always so perfect. Today I noticed a worker picking out ever so slightly damaged fruit...and throwing it in a box...Does it go to a food bank or to the garbage???
F.M. Alexander
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Corinne wrote: Can we eat fresh water Bass?
Freshwater fish may contain a variety of parasites,
so you best deep freeze the fish for a couple of days, and then you are safe.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

There is a Market Street on the lower east side, I think, so there used to be a market. Maybe in Chinatown or near the harbor?
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Thanks Oscar!
I'll check it out and let you know.

Why do freshwater fish tend to have parasites and sea water fish not?
Does it have to do with the salt in the water?
F.M. Alexander
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, most parasites thrive in low salt conditions.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

thought so! :wink:
F.M. Alexander