Mangoes = "heat"? What to pick in restaurant?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
shelts
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Mangoes = "heat"? What to pick in restaurant?

Post by shelts »

Hi all,

I guess life wouldn't be interesting at all without dilemnas. So here's mine.
The great news is that I have complete trust in the diet. It works. My skin has cleared up so quickly and beautifully and naturally....

My first observation is that mangos seem to cause pimples for me, so I stay away from them. They are not visible because they are in my hairline but I remember my mother telling me (she's Chinese) that according to the Chinese, mangos contain a lot of "heat" (sup yeet in Cantonese)....would be great to get your perspective on this, or perhaps I am just noticing a correlation and not a causation. I had exzema when I was a cute little boy and so the Chinese doctor recommended that I stay away from Mangos

Second, my father's retirement and CDN thanksgiving is coming up soon and we are treating him to this restaurant in Vancouver BC, called Coast Restaurant - I am officially over on my two week diet, but still being VERY VERY careful as I DO NOT want to get any new blemishes whatsoever. Can you guys steer me in the right direction in terms of what to order? We usually get an appetizer and then a main...here's the menu of the restaurant I'll be going to... http://www.coastrestaurant.ca/images/coast-dinner.pdf

He loves oysters so we have to get those for him, but I was thinking more in terms of the dishes I order myself. Totally willing to go vegetarian with a little meat if need be... Btw, do oysters have any adverse effect if I eat just one or two?

Guys, really appreciate this. Hugs!
Shelts
RRM
Administrator

Re: Mangoes = "heat"? What to pick in restaurant?

Post by RRM »

shelts wrote: My first observation is that mangos seem to cause pimples for me, so I stay away from them.
The mangoes that you buy are not irradiated? (i think thats only the case when imported into the US)
There is only one way to find out if you have some sort of allergic reaction to mangoes; through thorough experimentation.
You can easily do this yourself.
For 2 weeks, do not eat any mangoes at all.
Then the next 2 weeks, you will have to eat 2 to 3 mangoes a day.
After that, you again dont eat any mangoes at all for 2 weeks.
Then you will know.
the Chinese doctor recommended that I stay away from Mangos
To me, Chinese medicine is not always based on scientific data.
Can you guys steer me in the right direction in terms of what to order? We usually get an appetizer and then a main...here's the menu
Perfect; they have salmon sashimi!!! so, thats a safe appetizer (or main). (just leave the fried shallots)
Of course, you can also ask for the raw tuna without jalapeno and soy sauce.
Or the callops without the creme fraiche and sesame tuile.
Any of these can be your appetizer or main course.
The yellow tail is already marinated.

If the oysters are not too much salty, you can safely have a few raw oysters, but not too many,
as they may be very high in zinc (or not).
If they are very salty, just take one.
If they are not raw, also maximally take one, but preferably none...
So, simply ask if they have raw oysters.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Congrats on your skin. :)
You could actually choose to stay on the diet (forever) and just experiment with increasing your protein intake, since the Wai Diet is a bit less strict than the Acne Sample Diet: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/twd-diet.html
shelts

Post by shelts »

Thx!! That's great advice.
I will definitely order the salmon sashimi as an appetizer.

For the main, what do you guys think of the following cooked items? (bearing in mind that I am off the strict diet and some of these are munch food)
-Gnocchi: Wild mushrooms, asparagus, oven roasted tomatoes, toasted pinenuts, ricotta
-Steamed seasonal vegetables
-Sable fish
-Halibut
-Salmon

Or if none of these items are ok, then what would the safest cooked food be? I miss cooked fish and would like to indulge myself just once; however, if you guys advise against it, I will stick with your better judgment as this diet works for me definitely.

Shelts
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The steamed vegetables are the least harmful of the bunch.

You 'missing cooked fish' is the result of cravings for the addictive substances (beta-carbolines) in the cooked fish. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I definitely advice against the cooked fish.
If you want to find out how much it applies to you; just try it.
shelts

Post by shelts »

Thx. I'll avoid the cooked fish.
What about cooked seafood - like scallops, crab or lobster, or mussels? Thanks so much guys.
also, if none of these options work should I just stick with the ganoche then? (the vegetarian dish) Thx so much
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

shelts wrote: What about cooked seafood - like scallops, crab or lobster, or mussels?
Dito for crab and lobster.
Scallops and muscles to a bit lesser extend.
But i dont understand: why dont you eat raw fish?
or salad?
shelts

Post by shelts »

Thanks so much RRM.
I love raw fish, but to be honest, I truly miss my other foods too. I used to be a fanatic about good food, and I think I overindulged which was a cause of my skin condition in the first place. Being on Wai's diet for the last 2 weeks has completely purified my skin.

I want to stick to Wai diet of raw food, but gradually integrate some cooked foods into my diet as well. Part of the reason is that I enjoy them. The other reason is that I am trying to build muscle mass and I am naturally very skinny already. I was asking about the cooked seafood because before this diet, it used to be my absolute favourite food, the taste and smell. I was at the restaurant the other night, and yes, I did order the raw salmon fish and the salad. But it wasn't enough and I felt so hungry in the midst of my family dining on wonderful delicacies like cooked fish, etc. I didn't have any cooked fish in the end, but on the encouragement of everyone at the table (who is by the way fully supportive of diet), I did have a free range chicken breast as a special treat to myself for all my hard work. On Sunday, I didn't eat anything but raw fruits and egg yolks. Tonight, I think I will have sushi rolls from a Japanese restaurant. They contain tuna, salmon, scallop, some rice, and seaweed wraps. Should be safe right?

I am so lucky to have this diet.

Shelts.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Of course it's all your choice. :)

There are two kinds of hunger though:
1. hunger because you need energy (or protein)
2. hunger because you crave addictive substances

You can check which of the two it is by doing the "fruit test", which is to check if you would like to eat a piece of fruit or not. If you do, then it's 1. If not, then it's 2.
Now if you're hungry because of 1, then you probably aren't eating enough, either at that moment or throughout the day.
If you're hungry because of 2, then it's not 'real' hunger, but just to get a 'fix'. This is quite normal when you're still used to the cooked foods.

Just so you know. Anyway, the sushi should probably be fine.
shelts

Post by shelts »

Well, it's mainly #2. Thx. I have a story to share. Today was Thanksgiving in Canada and my mother baked a turkey. I decided to buy myself raw sashimi and sushi from the store instead and brought enough for everyone to share. They loved it and in the end I didn't end up having any turkey except for a silver of a taste at the insistence of my mother who toiled away making it. (I would feel bad otherwise and so lucky to have such an understanding mother) So, yes, it was mainly for enjoyment and satisfaction. I am grateful to you guys. I will be in touch and be well in the meantime.

Shelts
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Oscar wrote: There are two kinds of hunger though:
1. hunger because you need energy (or protein)
2. hunger because you crave addictive substances
Actually, its 3:
3. Stomach hunger because your stomach is used to getting stretched with every meal.
(if you eat 3 or 5 meals a day)
shelts wrote:They contain tuna, salmon, scallop, some rice, and seaweed wraps. Should be safe right?
Safe, no, not at all.
But if you eat only raw foods normally and then sushi on an occasion,
there might be no repercussion.