gastroparesis: What vegetables and spices/herbs?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: gastroparesis: What vegetables and spices/herbs?

Post by RRM »

Constipation is not caused by a lack of fiber.
A watermelon contains only 0.5% fiber, but eating a lot of watermelons will definitely not make you constipated.
(more likely the other way around)
What causes constipation is the ingestion of agents that sedate your bowels,
as opposed to the influence of stimulating agents, such as fiber, sugar and oil.

So, what do you need to do the stop constipation?
Take away all sedative agents (beta-carbolines form cooked foods and opioid peptides from wheat and dairy products).
Then you will not be constipated anymore.
You dont need anything to stimulate your bowels, as they are not sedated anymore.

Vegetable juices are not on this diet, due to the anti-nutrients.
Fruit juices are perfectly okay, naturally.
samantha

olives

Post by samantha »

are olives considered a fruit on the wai diet?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: olives

Post by Oscar »

Yes they are. The problem is that olives are usually cured in brine/salt. This can be a problem especially for people who are acne-prone. So either get water-cured olives (see the sticky in this forum) or only eat a few olives.
samantha

Post by samantha »

what about for constipation? are they good or bad?
samantha

Lettuce?

Post by samantha »

what about lettuce for constipation? are the tomatos and cucumbers and avocados and chives bowel moving? is butter lettuce?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Basically every food on the WAi Diet is considered 'good' for constipation, but that's more because constipation is about sedating substances like opioid peptides (wheat, milk, rye, barley, spinach) and beta-carbolines (cooked proteinous foods). Every food item that does not contain sedating substances is 'good' for constipation (as in 'not bad'), so olives are also 'good'. To avoid constipation you just have to avoid these constipation-inducing substances.
dime

Post by dime »

RRM wrote:Constipation is not caused by a lack of fiber.
I'm not sure about it, for me it seems to be related.

I've been tracking what I eat to the gram for the past week, and a bowel movement seems to happen after eating about 30g of fiber. I'll continue tracking so I can determine this more precisely, but so far it's pretty consistent.

When I first started recording I was eating around 10g fiber per day, so bowel movement after three days. I was drinking plenty of water, eating wai of course, but still got somewhat constipated. Then I upped it to 20g fiber per day and had very normal bowel movement, no constipation.
overkees

Post by overkees »

I also have this experience. When I drank only OJ+OO with no fibers I needed to go once every 2-3 days. And it was a pain sometimes. I then added mashed bananas in the juice with the fiber. And I now go every day to the toilet and have no troubles at all.

When Im on a trip and have dried fruits with me. Man, that really is a pain. With apricots I can sometimes go 5 times on one day to the toilet and have lots of gas. Prunes and figs are easier on me.
sunmaiden

Post by sunmaiden »

I experience constipation some times too with juicing and have been having mostly whole fruit (but some OJ too) instead. Bananas can be a problem for me if they are not fully ripe enough. I find that nuts and young coconut flesh can be a problem too, but mature coconuts or raw coconut milk from mature coconuts is fine. Watermelon, papaya, pineapple or mango for a few meals will fix the problem for me.

Do any of you drink water and does this help for you or make it worse? When I consume enough juicy fruit I do not feel thirsty (I drank no water as a fruitarian), but I have some if eat more avocados or dried fruit, and make sure that it is spaced out so as not to interfere with digestion. I have experimented in the past with small periods of dry fasting and that seems to correct the problem for me also.(16-18 hrs from mid afternoon to next day morning. Sorry that is probably not recommended here, but the short time has been effective for me. A friend I know has safely completed series of 3 day at a time and over a week at a time, following a russian protocol so a short window of dry fast seems small to me now:)
dime

Post by dime »

I've read about the Russian dry fasts, and I would do something like that only if I was very very sick and didn't have any alternative.

I think if I don't drink enough water it makes it worse, but I'm not sure, it's hard to make a connection to water.
dime

Post by dime »

I know fiber is considered as not needed on the wai diet, but what about the short chain fatty acids which result from fermentation of mostly soluble fiber in the colon? According to the wiki page they are pretty important part of health:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fi ... atty_acids
When soluble fiber is fermented, short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) are produced. SCFAs are involved in numerous physiological processes promoting health, including:[50]

* stabilize blood glucose levels by acting on pancreatic insulin release and liver control of glycogen breakdown
* stimulate gene expression of glucose transporters in the intestinal mucosa, regulating glucose absorption[52]
* provide nourishment of colonocytes, particularly by the SCFA butyrate
* suppress cholesterol synthesis by the liver and reduce blood levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides responsible for atherosclerosis
* lower colonic pH (i.e., raises the acidity level in the colon) which protects the lining from formation of colonic polyps and increases absorption of dietary minerals
* stimulate production of T helper cells, antibodies, leukocytes, cytokines, and lymph mechanisms having crucial roles in immune protection
* improve barrier properties of the colonic mucosal layer, inhibiting inflammatory and adhesion irritants, contributing to immune functions

SCFAs that are absorbed by the colonic mucosa pass through the colonic wall into the portal circulation (supplying the liver), and the liver transports them into the general circulatory system.

Overall, SCFAs affect major regulatory systems, such as blood glucose and lipid levels, the colonic environment, and intestinal immune functions.[53][54]

The major SCFAs in humans are butyrate, propionate, and acetate, where butyrate is the major energy source for colonocytes, propionate is destined for uptake by the liver, and acetate enters the peripheral circulation to be metabolized by peripheral tissues.
sunmaiden

Post by sunmaiden »

Wow, interesting. I read an article on diet differences between spider monkeys and howlers.
( http://iheartfruit.com/index.php/topic, ... ml#msg1490 )
The howlers, who eat more greens have slower digestion time than the mostly fruit eating spider monkeys, and are fueled by fatty acids, which can only metabolize during slower transit time. I found my digestion slowed down a little when I added oils into my diet, but I took this to be a good thing, because my stools were better formed, and looked like they had been better digested than when I was eating fruit mono meals in large quantities. Perhaps some slowness is a good thing?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:
RRM wrote:Constipation is not caused by a lack of fiber.
I'm not sure about it, for me it seems to be related.
Of course its related, but that doesnt mean its the cause.
Fiber is bowel stimulating, as is fat and sugar,
but that doesnt mean that when you are constipated, its caused by a lack of fiber, oil or sugar.

How do you experience constipation?
Just a lack of bowel movement, or other symptoms? (bloating?, pain?)
dime wrote:I know fiber is considered as not needed on the wai diet, but what about the short chain fatty acids which result from fermentation of mostly soluble fiber in the colon?
Short-chain fatty acids are also taken up directly during the digestion of dietary fat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_chain_fatty_acids
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:When I drank only OJ+OO with no fibers I needed to go once every 2-3 days.
Bowel movement is required for removing that what is not taken up into the blood.
When your food contains little fiber, there is little to discard.
A lack of bowel movement is not equal to constipation,
but equal to discarding less.
I now go every day to the toilet and have no troubles at all.
Why would you want to go to the toilet every day?
If there is nothing to discard, there is no reason to go.

When you feel pain, do you feel bloated?
When Im on a trip and have dried fruits with me. Man, that really is a pain.
thats the fiber.