gastroparesis: What vegetables and spices/herbs?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
samantha
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

gastroparesis: What vegetables and spices/herbs?

Post by samantha »

I want to try to follow this diet as closely and as 100% as possible first and then slowly add things in to see what i can tolerate. I am doing this primarily because I have gastroparesis and slow transit colon motility and also possibly a megacolon (still have to get that tested).

what vegetables and spices/herbs are 100% on this diet and which ones are more loosley accepted? I know you can do tomatoes, cucumbers, chives (i think?) to be 100% but what about sea vegetables, seaweeds, spinach, lettuces (argula, butter lettuce, basil, any kind of leaf., etc) onions, leeks? any and all answers would be greatly appreciated as i love the taste of raw or lightly steamed veggies even more than fruit. plus, i find i get headaches from all of the sugar and carbs in fruit.

Thanks! im open to anything!

ps- what about root veggies like carrots? or broccoli and cauliflower and kale? ( i doubt it but worth asking!)

are melons the best digested fruit? i do enjoy watermelon and honeydew the most
Oscar
Administrator

Re: vegetables and spices/herbs

Post by Oscar »

Welcome :)
Basically on the 100% diet are: avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers (these are culinary fruits).
Otherwise carrots are the 'best' veggies.
Spices/herbs are not on the 100% diet.
Adding little amounts of them for taste isn't that bad, so for instance chives can be used.
It can take some time to get 'settled', to fine tune things, so personally I would suggest to try the 100% diet for a month or so before starting to experiment.
I think all fruits are quite easy to digest, but in terms of fiber, avocado relatively contains most and watermelon the least (iirc).
samantha

Post by samantha »

thank you for your help!

I am doing this diet primarily to move my bowels as efficiently as possible. I have slow transit colon motility, some gastroparesis, and possibly a megacolon (still have to get the test done). I would like to add some seaweed or kelp noodles but I do not want to be eating foods that are "constipation" or "bowel anesthitzing". do these two foods sound like they would be constipating? for a long time i ate nothing but vegatables, fish, and fruit. I have eliminated all veggies from my diet (except the culinary fruits: avocados, tomatoes, and cucumbers) and have had less stomach discomfort and better bowel movements (still need laxatives and meds though).
should i try to slowly reintroduce veggies back into my diet? they are all i have a taste for! and if so, which ones should i start w and how should i prepare them? lightly steamed? would the seaweed and/or kelp noodles eaten with lots of olive oil be my best bet? what about leeks?
samantha

pickled ginger/ginger

Post by samantha »

can i have the pickled ginger that comes with sashimi if i want to be 100% on the diet? what about ground ginger root?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: pickled ginger/ginger

Post by Oscar »

I wouldn't eat the pickled ginger, as it might contain additives etc. Ground ginger root isn't on the 100% diet, but you could experiment with it if you choose.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ginger is hot / spicy.
All hot stuff is excluded.
But indeed, if your skin is not susceptible to acne, its ok.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

samantha wrote: I am doing this diet primarily to move my bowels as efficiently as possible.
Ah, well then raw veggies are ok (and pickled ginger).
Though it might very well be that they will stimulate your bowels too much,
which may cause severe cramps if you are constipated. (and less bad when you are not)
... have had less stomach discomfort and better bowel movements (still need laxatives and meds though).
What, you still use laxatives and meds?
What meds?
This obviously requires a more thorough approach.
should i try to slowly reintroduce veggies back into my diet?
Not yet.
You first need to eliminate the laxatives and meds, and for that you first need to totally eliminate your bowel issues.
Once thats resolved, you can start experimenting with what foods your body can handle without needing laxatives / meds.
You need a specially targeted diet.
Usually, bowel issues involve both constipation and cramps (sedated and over-stimulated)
You need to eliminate both culprits to be able to get your natural balance back.
Once your bowels can do everything by themselves, we can start exsperimenting to test your body's response.
So, NO more laxatives (=overstimulation), and no munch foods whatsoever.
Also, for now, as little fiber as possible. So, only sieved/strained juices for now (apple juice, orange juice, grape juice).
You need to make those juices (apple / grape / melon / watermelon) yourself by using a juice extractor.
If you dont have the money to buy one, just drink OJ. Make sure to add quite a bit of OO to your juices.
as your bowels need the fatty acids.
And of course you need raw egg yolks and raw fish.
Just that: sieved juices and raw animal food for 2 weeks and no laxatives / meds.
Lets see what the results are.
samantha

best way to prevent constipation?

Post by samantha »

what is the best way to prevent constipation on this diet? I am prone to it and think i need some solid foods to help move my bowels because there is likely a neurological component to my colonic motility. so for now i am eating with the meds i have been prescribed. what should i eat to help the propulsions in my colon?
RRM
Administrator

Re: best way to prevent constipation?

Post by RRM »

samantha wrote:what is the best way to prevent constipation on this diet? I am prone to it and think i need some solid foods to help move my bowels because there is likely a neurological component to my colonic motility.
When someone has an issue, the first thing you need is analysis.
After the analysis, one can start experimenting (or even taking drugs).
For proper analysis, you need to be off the drugs first.

So, we first need to find out what your colon can do without the drugs.
To find out, we start with as little burdening of your bowels as possible.
If there is extremely little waste to deport (fiber etc), there is extremely little bowel movement required.

Its not that you need solid food for bowel movement.
Its the other way around: only if there is waste to deport (fiber from solid food), bowel movement is needed.
If you eat a substantial quantity of solid food and have little bowel movement, you are constipated.
If you eat hardly any fiber and have little bowel movement, your bowels may be doing exactly that what is required.
This you will notice by the symptoms disappearing: no more bloating, no more cramps, no more swollen belly.
Once that is accomplished, we can experiment by starting to add foods back into your diet, to see what your bowels can manage.
samantha

Re: gastroparesis: What vegetables and spices/herbs?

Post by samantha »

What about apples (peeled), olive oil, and a bit of cabbage? Maybe some broccoli and cauliflwer. I think my stools are small and not everything is emptying properly due to anlikely megacolon, requiring more food volume? I used to be able to have satisfying, complete bms when I ate plenty of fruits and vegetables.
samantha

Post by samantha »

Basically, I need to add more "bulk" to my stools. Any suggestions?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

samantha wrote:Basically, I need to add more "bulk" to my stools.
Its like saying that you need to create more garbage so that you can empty it more often.
Your stool contains garbage; the stuff that your body cannot use.
You want to take in more of that stuff that your body cannot use, in order to be able to remove that stuff that your body cannot use...
Your stool IS the bulk.
What else do you want to remove from your bowels?
If you add more bulk to your stools, your bowels will be filled up more.
And more bulk means more undigestable fiber (=bulk), which means more gas production,
which means a swollen tummy.
I think my stools are small
What do you want?
Relatively empty bowels?
Then consume as little fiber as possible, and of course no constipating agents whatsoever.
Give your bowels a break!!!
The less fiber is consumed, the smaller your stools. This is how it is supposed to be.

If one thing, your bowels need peace.
They dont need more work.
They need rest to recover.
Rest from bulk and constipating agents, so that they can do their very important work (incl. creating defense, nutrients).
samantha

Post by samantha »

btw, how do you pronounce "wai" ("-whey"? "-why?")
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As the letter Y (in English), so "w(h)y".
samantha

Post by samantha »

What about fruit and of veggie juices for constipation?