Too much protein at once can cause acne?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
adonis
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Too much protein at once can cause acne?

Post by adonis »

Hi All,

I was reading how eating too much protein at once can cause a lot of acne problems with the protein not being processed fast enough by your body it will secrete through your pores and cause breakouts.

I have been eating 3 egg yolks at a time and was wondering if this could be causing my breakouts lately?

Anyone know?

AD
benzapp

Re: Eating Egg Yolks

Post by benzapp »

adonis wrote:Hi All,

I was reading how eating too much protein at once can cause a lot of acne problems with the protein not being processed fast enough by your body it will secrete through your pores and cause breakouts.

I have been eating 3 egg yolks at a time and was wondering if this could be causing my breakouts lately?

Anyone know?

AD
Three egg yolks at a time is not a lot. Most people who are on this diet probably eat more than that at a time. A lot of protein would eating half a kilo of salmon at a single sitting.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Actually, if you are susceptible to acne, consuming too much protein may indeed cause acne. Its because the blood protein levels may widely fluctuate, from 100% up to 900%...
Elevated blood protein levels will result in retaining more water (including in the true skin), which increases water-pressure in the true skin, pinching off sebum canals. And if your sebum canals produce much sebum, this may result in seebum getting trapped, causing inflammations.
adonis

Post by adonis »

RRM, how much is too much at one time? Is three eggs too much at one time?

I am still finding the balance that my diet requires. I was eating 1-2 egg yolks per serving and moved up to three at a time(twice daily). Along with the cooked meal I had last week and three nights of sushi rolls. I may have too much bad and good protein coming through my pores.

Any idea on how much protein in one sitting is too much?
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

If I might chip in here...

I would suggest it is better to spread the amount of protein you consume throughout the day, rather than all at once. However, the difficulty is remaining inactive after consuming proteinaceous foods. I eat four egg yolks per day (although I gather this could be increased); two after arriving at the office (includes cycling, riding a train, then walking from the station), then two more in the evening, just before going to bed. In both cases I know that I will be more or less inactive during this time, thus allowing the body to digest the protein efficiently.

I assume that you are not following a raw food lifestyle terribly stricting however, given that you are consuming cooked foods and sushi (rice=bad).

Cheers,
James
x