Stomach Pain

Challenges and trouble-shooting
CSIV
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Stomach Pain

Post by CSIV »

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I was last on this forum, so here's a quick update about where I am on this diet. For the most part I am on the diet... probably around 80-90%. I am currently breaking the diet only by eating some noodles each day and I've replaced fresh squeezed orange juice with storebought apple juice. I have had to do this because I can't afford enough calories without the noodles and store juice. In theory it's great because I can buy twice as much apple juice for reasonably less money than I was spending on oranges for juice before, and my acne is reduced enough for me to be happy with.

Unfortunately, I am having one pretty big problem. I keep getting these quite bad stomach pains. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but these are just aweful... I can't focus on what I was doing prior to the pain and definately can't continue to eat or drink until they subside. Some last for just a minute and others can last over 30 minutes causing me to have an energy drop. I'm pretty sure the culprit is the apple juice, but I'm not sure why. Would drinking too much at once cause this? I never experienced this when drinking orange juice and there were definately times that I had too much at once. Maybe it's just something about the apple juice? If it helps, the juice is "Simple Apple" made by the "Simply Orange Juice Company," and it is pasteurized but not from concentrate. Any ideas are welcome... maybe someone else has experienced this before.

I think I'll order a couple cases of oranges to juice and see if I don't have this porblem on days I do that.

Thanks for your help!
panacea

Re: Stomach Pain

Post by panacea »

I would at least switch to the simply orange company's orange juice instead of the apple juice, buy half as much orange juice as apple juice so it's the same cost, then get the rest of water needs from tap water and the rest of nutrient needs from egg yolks, and add sugar to the OJ. Surely this will give you enough vitamin C and other nutrients on a budget - I don't think apples are that nutritious.

Then to help with the stomach pains - are you getting exercise (at least 1 hour a day? Most people get 30 min just by walking to and from the kitchen, cleaning up, moving around, so at least power walk, jog, or run depending on your health state for extra 30 min daily)
And keep in mind if you mouth-breathe while exercising you are either exercising too hard at your current health state or you are doing it out of bad habit, keep your mouth closed and you'll experience exercising benefits (this is the little secret no one tells you and why most people fail, you'll see sickly people panting trying to run down the street and it only makes their health worse).
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

Thanks for your reply!

I had the same concern about drinking apple juice rather than fresh squeezed OJ. Unfortunately, I can't stand drinking much store bought orange juice, it's just too bitter and acidic... I could experiment with mixing their orange and apple juice though. And the price is the same for their brand orange and apple juice I think. I was refering to the price I was spending when I was fresh squeezing juice. In adition to the juice and noodles, I've been eating bananas, avacados, eggs (fish once a week instead of eggs, but I'd like to make it twice) and a few other random fruits. If I was drinking the same amount of fresh squeezed OJ as I am now drinking apple juice, according to the nutrient calculator I would have my nutrient needs pretty well covered.

You may have misunderstood what I meant by stomach pains. I'm not refering to "Side Stiches" like you get from exercising which it sounds like you may have thought I meant. It's strange... Almost like a stomach sick feeling but not really, more pain than a 'vomit like' feeling. I get it occasionally after drinking a bit of apple juice, and can't remember if I've had it happen with eating other fruit. The strange thing is it doesn't seem to have much of a pattern... sometimes I get it after a very small sip, but don't get it after a bigger gulp and vise versa, so I can't be sure if it's simply from too much sugar at once. The only pattern it does seem to have is it's more common early in the day, but it still happens at random times throughout the day, it's just most common in the morning. I dont think it ever happened before with fresh OJ, so I'm going to test drinking fresh OJ for a couple days after I order some cases of oranges and see what happens. But to answer your question, I haven't been exercising as much as I would like. I've been hiking about once or twice a week for anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hours. I'd like to make it every day except sundays or at least every other day.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Hi.

If I may make a suggestion?

First thing in the morning, try eating a couple of (peeled) apples in one sitting. Wait at least two hours and see if you experience the same pains. If there is no pain, repeat the procedure with unpeeled apples. Still no pain? It's not apples. If you continue to experience stomach pain see a doctor.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
panacea

Post by panacea »

are the stomach pains also in the middle/lower area of your back as well?

do you breathe with your mouth while hiking?

The simply orange juice brand in wal-mart here has a pineapple flavor version (I guess they mix it with OJ) and it doesn't taste nearly as bitter/bad, might try that if you can't afford to juice real oranges..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

There is a lot of speculation possible,
but there is only one thing you can do to solve this: by experimenting consistently.
So, for one week you dont drink any apple juice (or eat apples) at all.
The following week you dont consume any munch foods at all (no noodles either),
because it might be the opposing influence of fiber (fruits) and sedatives (noodles).
Then you report back here.