Possible problems with eggs and affording the diet

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Aquaman
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Possible problems with eggs and affording the diet

Post by Aquaman »

Hello again!
I've been on this diet since the day after Christmas, only cheated in January once, and it was just a few sips of a mocha.
Anyway, as of late I've been having a soft stool in the morning, with some blood, and the last two days I have had diarrhea throughout the day.
I've been taking some acidophilus as well as having an ACV drink w/raw honey to ease my digestion.

Also of note, in the past I had ulcerative colitis, which I beat with probiotics. The symptoms are similar to what I'm experiencing now, bloating with loose, bloody stool. Though UC was horrifically painful compared to what's happening now.

Five days ago, I had a clove of garlic in my salad (not doing that anymore). I didn't end up eating all of what I put in because I noticed it was bringing pain to my stomach. So that's a possible factor, given that I'm sure garlic could burn the intestinal lining and thus cause some bleeding. Also, in the past when I had raw eggs in my OJ, I put in some OO, even though it's not needed, I always noticed my stool was more solid the next morning when I put it in. So I'm taking a two day break from eating raw eggs, just to see if things improve. Although for the all the times I've had raw egg yolks, the worst I get is a loose stool, never any blood and still somewhat solid, so I don't think it's the eggs, but ya never know.

Now, if the eggs prove to be the culprit, is there an alternative that could give me the animal nutrients I need? I can't afford raw fish (I take fish oil supplements), and am not terribly keen on eating raw chicken or beef.

Now, onto the second part of my topic, the affordability of this diet. I was shocked when I found out my grocery bill was $900 for January, for just one person, granted with all the miscellaneous items, it's probably $750-800 for just the food, but that's still too much for one person. I spend less on each visit to the store than I used to, but since I go so much, it's jacked up my costs.
I've identified a local store that has great prices and will start using them, as well as planning out how much food I need for one week. Bananas seem to be the most fickle for ripening, they're either not ripe or too ripe. Speaking of which, is there any health consequence for eating a really ripened banana? By ripened I don't mean so brown it's ready for banana bread, but just really spotty with those mushy spots everywhere.

However, if I still can't bring this diet under budget, I will sadly have no choice but to revert to cooked food for at least some of my meals. So my question is, which cooked foods are the least bad for me? Obviously I won't go to fast food or pizza, but I imagine cooked fish would probably be not as bad as cooked beef or chicken? Also, how bad would a cooked egg yolk (no white) be for me?

Thanks in advance for any help and for reading this long post!
dime

Re: Possible problems with eggs and affording the diet

Post by dime »

Why would you cook your egg yolk? Cooked or not it will be the same price, and same with fish. You say you can't afford fish, how will you afford cooked fish?
It's likely the garlic that caused those problems.. you could eat some fish for a few days, it's anti-inflamatory as far as I know, and avoid things that you know irritate your digestive system. I'm not sure about the ACV and honey btw, both sound bad in this case.
Aquaman

Post by Aquaman »

I would cook the egg because if it's the bacteria content of the raw egg that's chewing up my intestines, then that would seem to be the way to go. Granted, it's cooked and I'd wager the nutrient content is not as great, but better than nothing.

As for the fish, frozen fish for cooking is cheaper, than say, fish from a sushi shop. I tried frozen fish a few times, thawed out, and it was nasty. And I believe somewhere on this forum it may have been advocated to not eat the raw fish from supermarkets, could be wrong though.
dime

Post by dime »

Your intestines are full of bacteria, irrelevant of whether you eat raw or cooked eggs. It doesn't make sense to me that the bacteria in egg yolk specifically eats your intestines.. if you eat your egg yolks alone, stomach acid will kill any bacteria anyway. You say you eat them with orange juice, from what I've heard orange juice inhibits secretion of acid in the stomach.

Not sure about the fish..
Aquaman

Post by Aquaman »

Thanks for the input dime. It is early yet with the new store, but I think I should be able to afford this diet.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Aquaman wrote: As for the fish, frozen fish for cooking is cheaper, than say, fish from a sushi shop. I tried frozen fish a few times, thawed out, and it was nasty.
You don't necessarily have to buy your fish from a sushi shop. Buy it at a good fish market and you'll have sushi-grade quality and perfect taste for the same price (if not cheaper) as (than) supermarket fish.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I very regularly eat previously frozen salmon.
Just buy good quality (high-end supermarket)
Dont let it thaw slowly.
Put a piece of frozen salmon in a small plastic bag in warm water (not over 90 degrees Celsius).
Delicious and not expensive.
Aquaman wrote:I imagine cooked fish would probably be not as bad as cooked beef or chicken?
equally bad.
Also, how bad would a cooked egg yolk (no white) be for me?
Even worse, as egg yolk contains a lot of good cholesterol that spontaneously starts to oxidize at boiling point.
Aquaman

Post by Aquaman »

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. The thought of thawing the fish out in water never even occurred to me!